Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mommyjenna

Hair bleach or dye on accutane

New on accutane - only been on it less than 2 weeks and am getting dry lips and my face is fairly dry.

I had been having my hair bleached and now I'm worried about this. I could try to have it dyed back to natural but I'm worried about that too,

Any experiences with bleach or dye?

The problem with bleaching/dyeing on Accutane is that your scalp oils stop being produced in much quantity, and your scalp becomes much more sensitive to products it normally tolerates.

I have successfully dyed my hair to the scalp with no irritation, but i use the Natural Instincts stuff that has peroxide but no ammonia. Of course, that means it has virtually no lift and cannot lighten hair. If your natural shade isn't too much darker than your bleached shade, it could even out the tone and make the roots look more natural. Beyond that it won't be much help.

Normal hair dye which does contain ammonia could irritate your scalp, especially if your oil production has decreased. If you go with the option of dyeing it to something near your natural shade try to keep the dye off your scalp.

Bleaching is the most damaging option. Your best bet is probably to get some highlights to blend your roots in - highlights typically don't go all the way to the scalp and it will grow out with the most natural appearance. If you are set on a full double process, get it done professionally and instruct the colorist to keep that bleach off your scalp.

Go with the least damaging option that you can stand to minimize issues with brittleness and breakage later on during the course, and use good conditioners to make up for the lack of natural scalp oils. If you are going for the more damaging options, do it as soon as possible before you get any drier.

Yeah I was wondering about the whole putting chemicals in your hair while on tane. I just got my hair straightened chemically and I was concerned it would really damage my hair. I guess I just need to make sure I keep my hair extra conditioned to prevent breakage.

I colored my hair yesterday, with mostly 9 and some 7. (10 is the lightest) My hair is fine! My scalp is fine! I say don't worry about it! After i colored it i had her put a really deep conditioning treatment on it and left it in for 24 hours. I'm just going to condition it as much as possible, but it doesn't feel any more dry or damaged in any way. So i think you should go for it, esp if it makes you feel better about your apperance!

P.S. I've been on tane 2 months

I meat that i colored it on tuesday sorry.

Okay, maybe i'll try it. I'll try a patch test first.

Thanks!

I colored my hair yesterday, with mostly 9 and some 7. (10 is the lightest) My hair is fine! My scalp is fine! I say don't worry about it! After i colored it i had her put a really deep conditioning treatment on it and left it in for 24 hours. I'm just going to condition it as much as possible, but it doesn't feel any more dry or damaged in any way. So i think you should go for it, esp if it makes you feel better about your apperance!

P.S. I've been on tane 2 months

I meat that i colored it on tuesday sorry.