Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
maelstrom209

Oily skin, oil-control and using moisturizer

I have mildly oily skin and don't use moisturizer. In the past I use moisturizer after I wash my face but I would always have some zits lingering around. So I started a new regimen where I wash my face and don't apply anything in the morning... not even moisturizer. At night I'd wash my face again with SA this time then apply BP gel but now moisturizer.

I usually start off the day with my skin not oily but near the afternoon, it's all oily. I use Biore oil blotters to remove all the excess oil. I know its been discussed that moisturizer is good for the skin and is essential even if one has oily skin. So what so I do? Should I still use moisturizer even if my skin get oily?

There must be a way for me to control the oil on my face. Is there something out there that helps to control the oil? I think that my acne comes mostly from excessive oil on my skin which makes my pores clogged. Recently my skin has been clearly up so I want to keep it that way.

My face is extremely oily, but I always used moisturizer. About two weeks ago I stopped, and I haven't noticed any negative difference in my skin. Doesn't make it less oily, but there's not so much of a greasy feeling, if that makes any sense.

'Course, if you're using a lot of harsh acne products, you'll probably need the moisturizer to help with flakes and dryness. But if that's not a problem, I'd try going without it for a bit, just to see what happens. ALWAYS use sunscreen, though.

As for controlling the oil, there's not a whole lot that you can do. Some people say Salicylic acid helps control oil. Or, if you're female, contraceptive pills might be an option. Other than that, the only thing to do is try not to make it worse with a lot of heavy, creamy products.

My face doesn't usually get dry. I find it so weird that even with oily skin it can get dry. Anyway so my main objective is to do something to control the oil. I'm a guy so contraceptive pills are a no go for me. What I have used in the past is Nivea Men's Oil Control lotion. It did help a little but I thought maybe there's something out there that works much better. If I can find a way to control the oily skin, I'll have a much better handle on my acne.

Biore shine control moisturizer - http://www.biore.com/usa/products/productI...sp?productId=14

Nivea Men's Balancing Lotion - http://products2.nivea.com/products.php?page_id=152&lan=usa

Those are 2 that I found that control oil. I have used Nivea Men's and it seems to do ok although my skin would still get oily only less so. I haven't used the Biore shine control. Is Biore developed to accomodate the female skin type? Can guys use it? Has anyone used these products I have listed? Thanks for any input.

I haven't tried either of those moisturizers before. I think Biore, like most skincare lines, are kind of targeted towards females, but there's no special gender-specific formulation. Guys can use any topical product that women can.

Another thing I've heard of for controlling oil is using milk of magnesia as a mask, either nightly or a few times a week, depending on how bad your oil is. Obviously you have to wash it off after a bit, but it supposedly absorbs excess oil.

all those non oily moisturisers and oil control moisturisers...biore, neutrogena, simple, clean and clear etc etc never work...

only thing ive found to help my oilyness is being on the bp regimen.

or..try OC8.

i would reccommend it to everyone.

use it as a moisturiser..its fantastic!

I've had disgustingly oily skin my whole life ... but my current regimen has totally eliminated the grease slick. Not sure why, but I'm really happy with it. See my signature for details and product links.

Q

I know there are complexities, but isn't acne and oily skin just a vicious cycle?

For the most part, if you have acne you will treat it with things that will clean and dry out your face in some way. Because your face is dry, your body will produce more oil for it naturally-in order to balance out/maintain itself. This oil may clog your pores and force you to break out. Then aren't you back where you started? That is, unless you combat the oil with moisturizer?

I know there are complexities, but isn't acne and oily skin just a vicious cycle?

For the most part, if you have acne you will treat it with things that will clean and dry out your face in some way. Because your face is dry, your body will produce more oil for it naturally-in order to balance out/maintain itself. This oil may clog your pores and force you to break out. Then aren't you back where you started? That is, unless you combat the oil with moisturizer?

Not exactly.

Your skin can be oily and dry at the same time. Even if your skin is oily, meaning that it produces a lot of sebum, it can become dehydrated if you are overwashing, or using harsh cleansers and drying acne products. Dehydration doesn't seem to affect the rate at which sebum is produced, but dehydrated skin does seem to be more prone to forming comedones. The "desquamation" thread on the Research forum has more info on this, if anyone is interested.

At any rate, it IS important to keep your skin hydrated, which is why certain recommendations pop up over and over: gentle cleansers, drinking lots of water, not scrubbing or otherwise overwashing your face.

It isn't clear to me how effective moisturizers are against dehydration; someone like LabGirl81 could answer that much better than I. Personally, I have found that most moisturizers clog my pores, even if they claim to be noncomedogenic. I take essential fatty acid (EFA) supplements daily, and those are what help me most. They reinforce the epidermal lipid barrier which helps the skin keep water in.

Q

Having oily skin doesn't mean that it can't get dry. It's the weirdest thing to experience oily and dry skin at the same time. I went through that period months ago. That's when you know your skin is really jacked up.

Thanks for the replies. I think I may try Queen of the Hills' regimen or at least some aspect of it. The thing that intrigued me about that regimen is the Pore refining cleanser. Theoretically smaller pores = less breakouts right? I do have rather large pores which may be a contributing factor to the acne. Has anyone used products that reduces pore size and helps keep shine away?

Having oily skin doesn't mean that it can't get dry. It's the weirdest thing to experience oily and dry skin at the same time. I went through that period months ago. That's when you know your skin is really jacked up.

Thanks for the replies. I think I may try Queen of the Hills' regimen or at least some aspect of it. The thing that intrigued me about that regimen is the Pore refining cleanser. Theoretically smaller pores = less breakouts right? I do have rather large pores which may be a contributing factor to the acne. Has anyone used products that reduces pore size and helps keep shine away?

The "pore refining" cleanser is really just an exfoliating cleanser with AHAs and BHAs. The longer you leave it on your skin, the more effective it is; it also needs to be rinsed off really thoroughly, which is why I only use it in the shower.

It isn't actually going to make naturally large pores smaller, but by helping to unclog pores at the surface, it can make many pores SEEM smaller. It does leave skin with a nice texture.

Q

i have the oily tzone which is anoying. I use oil of olay with aloe as a facail cleanser. Its all what u need in a cleanser for the most part. But even though its gentle i still get a really dry and tight feeling on my nose and forehead. I feel thats causing the extra oil to come out during the day. So im going to try and just wash my face before bed and use a moisturizer. In the morning ill just rinse it with water before work and head out for the day. Ill see how my face reacts to this

i have the oily tzone which is anoying. I use oil of olay with aloe as a facail cleanser. Its all what u need in a cleanser for the most part. But even though its gentle i still get a really dry and tight feeling on my nose and forehead. I feel thats causing the extra oil to come out during the day. So im going to try and just wash my face before bed and use a moisturizer. In the morning ill just rinse it with water before work and head out for the day. Ill see how my face reacts to this

The other thing that I left out is that sometimes my skin gets dry after washing it with my cleanser. It doesn't happen too often but I feel that the dryness makes my skin produce extra oil. Is the key to control this problem by using a cleanser that doesn't dry me up too much?

Also, if my skin were dry, would using moisturizer help to keep my face from having excess oil?

The other thing that I left out is that sometimes my skin gets dry after washing it with my cleanser. It doesn't happen too often but I feel that the dryness makes my skin produce extra oil.

I strongly doubt that.

Bryan