Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the real difference between a normal oxide crystal microdermabrasion and a low chemical peel?? They are both peeling at only the surface of your skin, right?

I guess so. I have used my microdermabrasion machine twice now and would rather do that then get peels done I think. THe machine makes my face burn afterward and is uncomfortable as heck for a couple hours after. Feels like razor burn when u shave too soon or with a dull razor blade, except the burn goes onto the forehead and nose. Also makes my face look sunburnt for the day and slightly red the next day. Don't really know how well it will do but i will give it a shot anyway.

Yeah, the reason I ask is because I am trying to determine indefinitely since I've been beating around the bush with the subject for a while, on whether I should have microdermabrasion or a peel to get an overall better complexion. (I am thinking professional microderma/peel, btw) My problem is that I tend to break out, not because of excess oil or clogged pores, but because anything aggressive or constant swiping makes me break in acne boils. I figured that a chemical peel is just a few swipe application treatment and you just let that sit while it does the job. That might be less irritating than a microdermabrasion because the constant swiping of the foreign tool might be more irritating. I just keep thinking that it is the hand swiping factor that breaks me out for some reason. A chemical peel I know has been known to break people out, but I want to know which of the two is less likely to do this.

GD why not get one of those microderm things from the store. if your looking for more healthy looking skin I would try that before spending a lot on professional treatments. If u like that then u might want to buy a professional grade machine for your personal use. They can be had for about $300 which is about three professional treatments. The microderm wil make u break out less too by exfoliating and cleaning out teh [pores.

Everyone has clogged pores, I know. Some more than others, but this is the situation with me: I don't really suffer from too many clogged pores, my inflammations are really due to irritation and this is why I prefer that a derm does the micro on me because if I start breaking out I won't know how to control it.

I thought getting microderms felt really good and for parts of my face I could feel it sucking out oil that had been there forever, and I for the first time in years I stopped breaking out in parts of my face. If it didn't cost $75 each time or if I was rich I would get it done more often. But in the end, it didnt help with scarring that much which is why I'm trying a Jessner peel. I would try microderm first and see if it helps you. Also, applying Retin A for about 3 weeks beforehand (with 3-5 days before microderm) gets better results.

Uh huh, about the RetinA. I agree.

This is my whole plan. I know microdermabrasion is VERY limited with scarring because if a laser that can penetrate much deeper like the Sbeam sometimes does not render anything, I don't hold much future for microdermabrasion, but does not mean I will not be optimistic of any possible improvements with both. If it does not help my scarring it will definitely benefit the rest of my skin somehow, I just need to make sure I don't break out from it because I know I am prone to get irritation bumps, especially when rubbing. This happened to me recently when I began overproducing oil and my skin was so shiny I was unconciously wiping my face with any cloth I had at hand: scarf, shirt, hands...I developed these small bumps even in parts where I never broke out before, but they looked more like irritated lesions rather than acne. This is why if my own hand was able to do this, who knows what microdermabrasion might do. Thats when the antibios come in.

After everything is said and done and I'm on my last laser treatment, I will wait a few weeks (5-6) before attempting any TCA. I've been playing with the idea, but hindered because of my own fears and doubts that I will be able to do this on my own. After the laser, I don't think I will have enough funds to get it done professionally. I just need to be more informed about what this is about and how to do it. I still don't know what is the exact difference between TCA and CROSS as I've heard mentioned. Can it be applied all over, what strengths? Which sources will I get this? And how would I treat rolling undefined softer scars? There are a lot of things I need to learn before trying.

Uh huh, about the RetinA. I agree.

This is my whole plan. I know microdermabrasion is VERY limited with scarring because if a laser that can penetrate much deeper like the Sbeam sometimes does not render anything, I don't hold much future for microdermabrasion, but does not mean I will not be optimistic of any possible improvements with both. If it does not help my scarring it will definitely benefit the rest of my skin somehow, I just need to make sure I don't break out from it because I know I am prone to get irritation bumps, especially when rubbing. This happened to me recently when I began overproducing oil and my skin was so shiny I was unconciously wiping my face with any cloth I had at hand: scarf, shirt, hands...I developed these small bumps even in parts where I never broke out before, but they looked more like irritated lesions rather than acne. This is why if my own hand was able to do this, who knows what microdermabrasion might do. Thats when the antibios come in.

After everything is said and done and I'm on my last laser treatment, I will wait a few weeks (5-6) before attempting any TCA. I've been playing with the idea, but hindered because of my own fears and doubts that I will be able to do this on my own. After the laser, I don't think I will have enough funds to get it done professionally. I just need to be more informed about what this is about and how to do it. I still don't know what is the exact difference between TCA and CROSS as I've heard mentioned. Can it be applied all over, what strengths? Which sources will I get this? And how would I treat rolling undefined softer scars? There are a lot of things I need to learn before trying.

hey GD...

what you been up to? hows your face...you still on bp/retina?

I don't know anything about peels, but I've had microdermabrasion done.

I had microD treatments done on a weekly basis for 7 weeks.

Joy E in Dr Fox's office (Louisville, KY) did the treatments using the http://www.powerpeel.com/ system.

For a non-invasive treatment it works well, I had 100% improvement of some smaller shallow scars, and about 20% improvement of my deeper scars.

My face looks smoother and has a more even skin tone now.

It also reduced the size of many of my pores, and removed many blackheads.

They charge $110/treatment when getting 5 or more.

I would recommend microD and Joy E to anyone wanting to try it.

Have her turn the machine up high, the more it hurts, the better it works.

Every derm should have powerpeel, but unfortunately mines only has the regular spa version of microdermabrasion. You require some downtime with powerpeel, right? The purpose of the process is to cause local bleeding so that scabbing will form?

Every derm should have powerpeel, but unfortunately mines only has the regular spa version of microdermabrasion. You require some downtime with powerpeel, right? The purpose of the process is to cause local bleeding so that scabbing will form?

scabbing and bleeding makes it invasive. It could cause more scars. When I went I didn't scab or peel. You can't look at microderm as a cure to scars; it's a temporary solution to swell the skin and improve texture. That is all.

scabbing and bleeding makes it invasive. It could cause more scars. When I went I didn't scab or peel. You can't look at microderm as a cure to scars; it's a temporary solution to swell the skin and improve texture. That is all.

I've been wondering about these treatments too. I don't have scars. But I do have red marks and horribly blotchy skin. I want something to even out my skintone mainly. Would micro d work for that?

Some member here (Magneticxboy) had an aggressive microdermabrasion called Power Peel which made him bleed and scab on his icepicks rendering him almost 100% results.

yes, It should. Don't let them be too aggressive on you and have it done at a derm office, not a spa!

Thanks, Emmanuel,

Would micro be a better option than some kind of peel? I have a medical-esthetician that I go to that I really like and trust. I'm going to ask her opinion. I'm not sure which, if any procedures she does besides minor peels, but I'm sure she could recommend a place that's good.

Some member here (Magneticxboy) had an aggressive microdermabrasion called Power Peel which made him bleed and scab on his icepicks rendering him almost 100% results.

Yeah a deep microderm is pretty noninvasive and can have great results. I dont really think a few rugburns on just the scars is that big of a deal. the powerpeel is really almost like a spot dermabrasion. If u have loads of scars then probably a full dermabrasion would be the way to go. I dont know if this is the same doc that magnetixboy went to buy he lived in Kentucky also.

Out of both treatments (laser) and (microdermabrasion) I am looking more forward to the microdermabrasion. I say this because the treatments themselves will be beneficial in more ways than the laser. My scarring isn't at all severe, but I do have an overall 'uneveness,' for lack of a better word. I experimented with my own accidental mix of a mild peel using RetinA and bp and it caused me to shed tremendously for a few weeks. Two months later my scars (icepicks, rolling) were smoothed out somewhat--they are almost leveled with the rest of my skin. The two downsides to what I did was that the old scarring and some of the new scarring I developed from a breakout, began to turn red within the scar. This supposedly should be a good sign also because it means that collagen can still be stimulated underneath the old scarring. The other downside of what I did was that after the dry peeling was done, my skin began to purge a lot. I am so greasy and I can't seem to be able to control it. It recently caused me to breakout after my oil had been regulated for 6 years after accutane. Although, the breakouts now aren't as bad as before I took accutane.

As for the oil, I've been reccommended a retinol called Green Cream which is supposed to act like RetinA, except less irritating and capable of controling the oil, cleaning the pores and supposedly shrinking them. I ordered a trial sample to give it a go. RetinA has worked great for me and it's been said that this retinol Green Cream can penetrate deeper into the dermis causing it to grow thicker and plump up, which in turn can help faux your scarring.

I’ll just pipe in and say, with micro they will "not" go over active pimples.

With a peel they will, especially if you get a peel aimed at acne.

What is the real difference between a normal oxide crystal microdermabrasion and a low chemical peel?? They are both peeling at only the surface of your skin, right?

The place I go to once per month does an alpha hydroxy peel for 10 minutes and then they do the micro derm. The alpha hydroxy essentially exfoliates your skin so it is ready to be hit with the microderm crystals. It's not the fraxel or a deep TCA peel, but if you are looking to freshen up the look of your skin for a few weeks in a non-invasive way I think the combo of those two things is a good maintenance procedure every month or so.

I’ll just pipe in and say, with micro they will "not" go over active pimples.

With a peel they will, especially if you get a peel aimed at acne.

I thought so too, that's why I am trying to keep absolutely clear before my proceedures, but it is hard with all this purging.

The place I go to once per month does an alpha hydroxy peel for 10 minutes and then they do the micro derm. The alpha hydroxy essentially exfoliates your skin so it is ready to be hit with the microderm crystals. It's not the fraxel or a deep TCA peel, but if you are looking to freshen up the look of your skin for a few weeks in a non-invasive way I think the combo of those two things is a good maintenance procedure every month or so.

I might do a peel during the summer time because I'm also submitting to laser therapy aside from microderma and I don't want to overdo it all at the same time. My idea is that you have to attack scarring from all angles and that is why I am opting for the laser and microdermabrasion also. Although, in the end I think I like peels better than anything else.