Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
petrol4312

BP and aging?

Has anyone ever heard of BP aging the skin? I always assumed it was safe, but lately I've read somethings that say that the oxygen component of BP causes free-radical damage in the skin, and can lead to premature aging over time. Has anyone heard of/noticed this sort of thing?

Guest Akira

im 18 and have been told i look like im in my mid twenties by almost everyone i meet. I use BP, perhaps im a one off or other features on my face cause me to look older (Facial hair, etc)

I sure hope it fucking doesn't, acne is shit enough without premature ageing

Bp totally destroyed my skin. I have horrible wrinkles, and I'm only 18.

Bp is a chemical, and Chemicals shouldn't be applied to the face. Jojoba oil is natural, and it is the best thing you could ever put on your face. I've been using it for several weeks now, and it has improved my skin 80%. Keep in mind, jojoba wil make you break out within the first week or so, but that is just because it is bringing the impurities to the surface.

Go to google and type in: JOJOBA ACNE

I've been using BP for about 5 years. I'm 24 and constanly get mistaken for a young teenager. Usually the average people tell me I look is about 15.

It's be cool if BP could make me look a bit older....I hate getting mistaken for a kid all the time....My derm even is under the impession that I'm still in high school......

Oh by the way....I'd never put Jojoba oil on my face.....It's greasy enough as it is....

But don't you wonder Labgirl, if using all of these products (BP, SA etc) so much for such a long period of time will, while giving us younger appearance today, give us premature aging in the future due to acceleration of cell turnover?

But don't you wonder Labgirl, if using all of these products (BP, SA etc) so much for such a long period of time will, while giving us younger appearance today, give us premature aging in the future due to acceleration of cell turnover?

That's what I've heard. Putting all those chemicals on your face is not good in the long run.

"Oh by the way....I'd never put Jojoba oil on my face.....It's greasy enough as it is...."

Jojoba isn't greasy, it absorbs into your skin....

Not really. I honestly wouldn't mind looking about 10 years older right now....I'm sick of looking like a "cute" teenage girl....

I don't use SA. I hate the stuff...smelly, a bitch to formulate with, and in my opinion it doesn't really work.

BP is great. BP actually does nothing to speed up skin cell renewal. It only kills p.acnes by releasing oxygen. BP breaks down into benzoic acid after it decomposed and releases it's oxygen (people actually ingest benzoic acid as a food preservative). The benzoic acid that does magage to get past the epidermis and the dermis actually and make it into the blood stream is a very very tiny amount and it's just metabolized and it's byproducts are excreated.....no biggie. It's not an antibiotic that the bacteria can develop resistance to. Yes, it does release oxygen, which can induce free radical formation and cause oxidation, the epidermis has natural antioxidants present to prevent the oxidation of the unsaturated fatty acids in the epidermal lipids and take care of the free radicals that the oxygen forms (the BP really dosen't release as much oxygen as you'd think...)...there are even studies out there that show that BP can reduce sebum production....

Many people blame the BP for causing premature aging , because they begin to see wrinkles at very young ages. I was some poor 11 year old on here once claiming that BP gave her wrinkles....at 11 years of age. These are not wrinkes in deep in the dermis that are associated with the breakdown of collegen and elastin fibers...they are simply caused by surface dryness. When there isn't enough water preseent in the epidermis, the skin cells cannot desquamte (shed) properly and just kind of hang out at the surface of the stratum corneum....wherever you would develop expression lines later in life you may notice small wrinkles appearing (around the mouth, near the corners of theeyes, and on the forehead) as thin cracks appear in this layer of dead skin cells....simply cut back on the BP, or moisturize, or both....

I do use a topical retinoid, and yes retinoids do accelerate the turnover of skin cells. Do I wonder if eventually that the telomeres holding the ends of my DNA together in the nuclei of my basal cells will someday start to unravel causing premature cell death? It's possible....do I care?....no...

I know there is a limit to how many times a cell can divide before it dies...but skin cells are rapidly dividing cells that can proliferate qickly. Actually much research has been done on topical retinoids and aging....

Topical retinoids have been used for decades for acne, and more recently to treat premature aging...yup, they actually can undo the damaged caused by time (natural aging) as well as the damage caused by sun exposure thathat's responsible for penmature aging...Retinoids have some interesting side effects. One neat one is that topical reinoids can prevent the degradation of the collegen elastin matrix of the dermis that is accompanied by the aging process they also can thicken up the dermis and normalize skin pigmentation to fade sun spots....neat....

The role of retinoids in the prevention and repair of aged and photoaged skin

Topical Delivery of Retinoids Counteracts the UVB-induced Epidermal Vitamin A Depletion in Hairless Mouse

It seems that the damage that retinoids may cause to telomers on the ends of nucleic acids by increacing cell turnover may actually not be quite as bad as the damage caused by the photoaging process....

I'd rather have clear skin for the next 20 years than be worried about a few wrinkes anyway.....

That's what I've heard. Putting all those chemicals on your face is not good in the long run.

"Oh by the way....I'd never put Jojoba oil on my face.....It's greasy enough as it is...."

Jojoba isn't greasy, it absorbs into your skin....

What?....that's one of the shiniest oils out there (it's got a really high reflective index)....we put it in products that we want to have a high shine or a dewy finish....

I have some right here...hmmm....yup....greasy and shiny as hell....hey it might look nice in my hair or on my lips

Some people's skin doesn't absorb Jojoba very well. My skin just eats it up, and keeps me zit free.

I'm glad BP is working for you, it sure damaged my skin, but I have horribly sensitive skin!

Have you tried Tea Tree oil? I use that instead of BP for spot treatment, and it works great...

Some people's skin doesn't absorb Jojoba very well. My skin just eats it up, and keeps me zit free.

I'm glad BP is working for you, it sure damaged my skin, but I have horribly sensitive skin!

Have you tried Tea Tree oil? I use that instead of BP for spot treatment, and it works great...

Hmmm....maybe the jojoba oil in my lab is all greasy and gross because it's not 100% organic and it expired in 2003...

Nope....I'd never use tea tree. It actually has the same issues that topical and oral antibiotics do. Bacteria can easily become resistant to it's antimicrobial properties. Plus in order for it to be remotely as effective as BP you need to use it in concentrations that are equally as irritating as BP, if not more so.....

I don't just spot treat. I need to treat my whole face. Without my topicals I have moderate acne and I'm also very prone to cysts....

Hmmm....maybe the jojoba oil in my lab is all greasy and gross because it's not 100% organic and it expired in 2003...

Nope....I'd never use tee tree. It actually has the same issues that topical and oral antibiotics do. Bacteria can easily become resistant to it's antimicrobial properties. Plus in order for it to be remotely as effective as BP you need to use it in concentrations that are equally as irritating as BP, if not more so.....

I don't just spot treat. I need to treat my whole face. Without my topicals I have moderate acne and I'm also very prone to cysts....

You should try some 100% organic Jojoba, it's usually cheap, and it works great. I wouldn't use it unless it's organic. drugstore.com sells a cheap brand.

Nope....I'd never use tee tree. It actually has the same issues that topical and oral antibiotics do. Bacteria can easily become resistant to it's antimicrobial properties. Plus in order for it to be remotely as effective as BP you need to use it in concentrations that are equally as irritating as BP, if not more so.....

You should try some 100% organic Jojoba, it's usually cheap, and it works great. I wouldn't use it unless it's organic. drugstore.com sells a cheap brand.

I was actually kidding about that hun....I'd still never put it on my face....my moisturizer works just fine....thanks though..

What make the organic version better and not oily or greasy?....I don't get why that would make a difference...

I was actually kidding about that hun....I'd still never put it on my face....my moisturizer works just fine....thanks though..

Whatever. I'm just glad that I'm using something that is good for my skin, and doesn't destroy it.

It's good that you found something that works for you. I personally have never had problems using moderate amounts of BP. The only time I ever had a problem with it was when I attempted Dan's Regimen, which entails applying copious amounts of BP. It did get rid of about 75% of my moderate but cystic acne, but gave me a nast case of grade 4 xerosis (clinical term for dry skin), complete with flaking, peeling and cracking (deep enough to draw blood)....and yes I did get those temporary wrinkles the everyone seems to be worried about...

Using small amounts of it actually improves my skin.....I'd take wrinkles or a few flakes over cysts and the resulting scars any day....

My sister has a severe sensitivity to BP and applying a tiny bit of it will cause her skin to swell, blister and crust over....she can't touch the stuff, and still stuggles with acne, even post Accutane...so I know some people don't tolerate it well....luckily I'm not one of them....