Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shunts

Just my Roaccutane Journal

OK, this is going to be quick as I’m knackered and want to get this done before bed.

Brief history - 31 year old man from England, tried everything else and been putting off going on the Roaccutane for a long time now but as nothing else has worked, this is really my last resort. I’m REALLY worried though. I don’t want to get depressed and I am absolutely dreading the initial breakout.

Anyway, just finished day 2 and nothing to report. Had a back ache all day on and off but not sure if I can put that down to the tane and I have one big spot coming up on my jaw line but I expect that was on its way before starting the course. Had a couple of weird aches and pains but I’m sure it can’t be connected after only 2 days. Eyes and lips are fine.

I’m starting on 30mg for 4 weeks as my dermatologist thought it best as I was at pains to stress to him my concerns about initial outbreaks. Mind you, when I mentioned it, he didn’t seem to know what I was talking about which has concerned me a bit. He was under the impression that initial breakouts were virtually unheard of but that doesn’t seem to be the case from what I’ve read on here.

Off to bed now. See how I get on tomorrow.

Day 3

Got some more spots today which are fairly painful actually. Haven't had big painful spots for a long time so it's a bit of a shock to the system not to mention how self concious it makes me at work. I'm sure this is too early for the initial breakout so I'm just hoping it doesn't get too much worse than it is at the moment. If anyone does read this, I would be grateful for any ideas as to when I can expect the outbreak.

Achey back as well but nothing too bad. Lips and eyes are fine.

I know there are millions of accutane logs on here but if anyone does stop and read this - any advice on how to prevent or lessen the breakout would be much appreciated.

Hey there, old codger ... just noticed your new log. So you DID start the accutane! Hold onto that Green Cream, it will be a perfect maintenance regimen to keep your pores clear after you finish your course.

Why don't they prescribe antibiotics during the first month or 2 of an accutane course? Seems like it would really help with that initial breakout that your derm has never heard of.

Good luck with this ... wish I could be more helpful, but I know zip about accutane.

Q

Hi Q

I was going to pop into our other logs to let you and G&J know what I had decided but I thought better of it as I'm not too happy myself that I've admitted defeat and submitted myself to this. Anyway, if it works it will be worth it.

Hope you'restill getting on well with your regime.

Nothing to be ashamed of. Whatever works, you just have to go for it!

I'm still loving my regimen. Don't throw away your Green Cream, you're going to love it someday too.

Q

Day 5

My skin looks OK today although it is getting very dry and even drier on my neck.

The cyst like thing which popped up on my left jaw line has gone down quite a bit and stopped hurting. Also had another one on the right jawbone area which has also decreased in size so all in all, a good day so far.

I haven't had cysts for a long time so I assume that these have been a result of the Tane. Apart from that though, I'm not having many side effects at all at the moment. My back aches quite badly on and off and I get funny aches in other areas and a fairly persistent headache but nothing really bad.

Lips and eyes are still ok, although I'm sure that will change. I have been applying Vaseline with aloe vera every hour or so since I started so maybe that's helping.

I'm using Dalacin T, which is a topical antibiotic, which I'm hoping is going to help with the initial breakout.

I steamed my face last night as well as my skin was looking pretty shitty and I thought it might help clear my pores. Afterwards my pores seemed to be exuding white stuff which looked like moisturiser. Never experienced that before after steaming. didn't seem to do me any harm though. After that I Jessfoliated using an anti bacterial handwash. I was careful as I expected it to rip my skin off but it was fine so I'll keep doing it for the time being but only every 3 days or so.

So, in brief, things are OK at the moment although I can't help but live in fear of the initial breakout. I'm sure what I've had so far can't be it!

Just in case anyone does drop in and read this, I would welcome some advice on:

1. Is it OK to use a topical Vitamin A whilst on tane? I used to use Natures Cure topical Vitamin A which contains 25 000 IU of Vit A per drop. It was great for keeping my skin soft and hydrated and my skin is starting to to get really dry now.

2. Any thoughts on alcohol whilst on tane? I haven't touched a drop yet but 4 months of no drinking at all is going to be tough especially with weddings, parties and stag nights coming up!

Any thoughts would be appreciated....

1) I'm certainly no expert on this. But I would steer well clear of anything Vitamin A-related, whether its topical or not. There's plenty of other good moisturisers that will help with dryness (I use Eucerin) that won't contain Vitamin A.

2) Some people drink while they're on the 'tane. They generally seem to drink sensibly though - a few pints here and there, etc. At the end of the day, any alcohol you take will put more strain on your liver, which is already going to be overloaded from the 'tane. I'm assuming that you're not gonna be drinking in moderation at these stag dos and parties; guess you have to weigh up the potential risk. The odd drink here and there is fine - binge drinking on tane certainly isn't advisable.

Personally, I'm staying dry until I finish the 'tane, with one single exception in May (my graduation ceremony). I can just make up for it in the summer instead.

And *certainly* don't drink before your blood tests, that'll skew your results for sure.

Thanks for replying. I'm thinking the same about the Vit A but i'll ask my Derm when I go back in as I don't think from what I've read that it's absorbed into the blood and it's excellent for red marks as well.

As for the drinking - I don't plan on binge drinking or anything but it would be nice to have a coule of pints at the weekend as I've given up smoking as well so a couple of beers is now my only vice. How boring...

My skin seems to be changing every few hours. Before I went shopping it was so dry if I rubbed my face it looked like serious dandruff falling off it and lots of it. By the time I got home it looked waxy and a bit red again. Very strange.

My acne is pretty mild but very persistent and every 1 -2 weeks i'll have a pretty bad flare up and the last one was bad enough to convince me to finally go onto Accutane. Just hoping my face doesn't explode with a load of cysts!

you will be fine.... i have been drinking on accutane and have had no problems... its gonna be hard when ur face really starts clearing up ...bc then you will really just want to go out and have a good time

Yeah, that's what I was thinking! One of the stag weekends is right at the very end of my course, assuming that I'm finished after 4 months. Got a long way to go yet though.

Just off to bed but a quick update for my own reference - my skin looks wierd. Looks like I have a couple of new, small spots coming up on my chin plus one on my forehead and I never get spots on my forehead. They only look very small though, thank you God!

My skin looks kind of waxy though...what's that all about? It doesn't look really bad but it just doesn't look good either. Strange.

you will have the waxy/greasy feeling for like the first week and a half..... i tend 2 believe that everyones forehead clears the fastest???? atleast this is what i have read.... you must feel great just to have the tane...

Yeah, kind of. I'm really glad that I've finally got a chance of getting rid of acne for good but I always promised myself I'd never take it. Nearly a week in though and no regrets so far.

Day 6

The wierd spot on neck changed over night in that it's not looking like a big ripe whitehead anymore. Not sure if it popped itself over night or whether it's just gone down. Skin is a lot less dry today but I haven't showered yet so I'll reserve judgement until after that.

Got another spot on my jawline on the left. It feel painful and deep but it looks like it's going to be a lot smaller than the others I've had over the last few days. Anyway, I'm off to get showered.

Still Day 6

After shower update - and this is completely for my own benefit by the way, I’m not so vain as to think that anyone else has any interest in such regular and mundane update. Kind of a catharsis I suppose!

Anyway, after close inspection through the 3 or 4 days of stubble I’ve allowed to acumulate, I have 1 new small-ish but deep and painful spot that I’ve already mentioned plus one on my left cheek that’s more a raised red mark than anything else. It doesn’t hurt but it doesn’t look like it’s filling with pus or anything - just a raised red and very noticeable lump. Nice.

Also, the cyst on my left jaw line seems to be coming back after it started to fade yesterday. Still no sign of it coming to a head so looks like I’ll have it for a while yet and that one is sore so I am constantly aware of it. Also got another smaller one coming up on my chin and the one on my neck has come back up. Gave it a squeeze and it did leak some weird watery stuff out and now look even more enflamed.

I’m feeling very ugly at the moment, needless to say. What is strange though is that pre-’tane I would have been stressing and in the depths of despair now, especially as my skin hasn’t been this bad for a long time. However, because I now have a reason for it I feel OK with it. I’m not happy about it my I know why it’s happening and I know it won’t last forever so at the very least, the ‘tane is helping with my despair at the state of my skin.

I think half my problem has always been that no matter what I do, my skin continues to be bad and the fact that I can’t work out why is what makes it so bad. Having a moment of clarity I think…just hope I can continue to feel so upbeat when I’m looking like shit.

I hope this is the initial outbreak because in spite of what I’ve just said, I really don’t want it getting any worse than this!

hang in there, the waxy look will go, mine did at about day 8/9. i am still getting breakouts now at week 3 so dont dispair as more spots appear as its very likely that they will. lets just hope that we clear soon

Has anyone else's temper become really short? I went to see my mum and dad today and they don't know I'm on 'tane and my dad something which for no reason at all really pissed me off. I felt this kind of rage about ot explode and just managed to stop myself really shouting at him. Felt really guilty afterwards. That's not normal surely?

Also, as I'm writing this my vision is going funny, like flashing around the edges. I'm actually really worried about it

hey man

I am going to take a really long shot at the temper... I know alot of people say that the temper is related to the tane but i remeber at the beginning of my course i would get pissed real easy because my face was always feeling greasy/waxy.... for some reason this is why id get pissed so easily... ehhh i am sure this is not what caused yours but maybe it did???????? :pray:

I'm not sure, you might be right. My skin has looked a lot worse over the past few days than it has in a while and that has really pissed me off. On top of that, I’ve been stressing myself worrying about what could happen whilst taking this stuff and I'm sure that has contributed to my headaches and freaky vision thing yesterday.

Anyway...

Day 7

Today things are much better. I'm getting my head together and sorting myself out. Stop worrying about what might happen and just accept that this is a shit situation but soon it will be over and I can get my life back. Skin wise, still looking bad but went to work and got my head down and had a productive day and tried not to look in the mirror too much but of course I did.

Looks like the small-ish cysts on my jawline, left and right now, are coming to a head. The big one on my neck was looking just about ready to go this morning so I attacked it. Looks very red and angry now but at least all the crap is out of it and it can go back to healing.

My skin looks what I can only describe as 'raw'. It looks irritated and has red patches on the cheeks and across my nose which doesn't help the overall look. Anyway, fuck it. won't be forever.

Lips and eyes are still fine.

Day 8

Blimey, if it carries on like this it's going to be difficult to remain upbeat about it. My skin looks AWFUL today. I am, without doubt, having the initial breakout and to think before I started I managed to kid myself that I wouldn't get it! Today, all my spots look bigger and redder and they all hurt, The big cysty thing on my jawline came to a head this morning so I had to sort it out and there was lots of thick pus and blood. Nice.

Spent the day at work trying not to think about it but no chance. How self conscious did I feel?? Anyway, came home, had a work out and then another shower and between getting in and out of the shower, a load more whiteheads surfaced on my chin. As I was checking it out in the mirror it was almost as if new ones where appearing before my eyes. I must have been imagining that, right?!

WTF is going on? If this doesn't stop soon I'm going to be seriously done in. I can't remember a time when my skin ever looked this bad! I’m getting new cysts every day at the moment and I haven’t had a cyst for months and months. Guess I'll just have to wait it out and just hope I'm not one of those people who doesn't clear up until they finish the treatment.

On the positive side, the side effects (apart from having a face like a burst sausage) were almost non existent today. I didn't feel weird or spaced out or dizzy, I didn't have any aches or pains and my lips and eyes are still fine. Mind you I am vaselining myself up every few minutes - how dodgy does that sound?

Maybe the Vit E and fish oil is keeping the aches and pains at bay. Wish I could find something that would do the same for this outbreak though.

Day 9

Bugger! Not good at all. In fact, it's so bad, I've taken the day off work which I promised myself I would only do if things got unbearable. I really cannot believe how bad my skin is. I've got cysts and whiteheads all along my jawline and it looks DISGUSTING. Not to mention painful.

Also, loads of whiteheads on my chin and moving round to my cheeks as well. This is all combined with my skin being super dry round my chin so it's all white flaky skin and big, red, highly visible spots. More big ones on my neck and some by my temple.

All in all, I look nasty and I just couldn't face going out anywhere today as I know people will be talking to me trying not to make it obvious what they're thinking even though it's written all over their face: "S**t, what is wrong with your face?"

Still no other really bad side effects though. No joint pain so maybe there is something to be said for the fish oil and lips are fine but I am constantly coating them with Vaseline with aloe vera.

Might be a few updates today as I have nothing better to do than sit around obsessing about my skin. Lovely

OK, just the one additional update. This stuff is really weird! I had the worst outbreak of my life and yet this evening it's calmed down so much. It still looks like crap but it's not as bad as it was this morning, for which I am truly grateful.

If anyone is reading this some advice would be nice as would any words of encouragement as these breakouts are kind of screwing with my head.

Also, does anyone know if it's possible to change the title of my log as I'm not nervous anymore - I ujst want to get through it as soon as possible and come out the other side with a face left!

to change the title, edit your very first post :)

Sucks to hear that your acne is being weird... hope the accutane stops being a dumbass! Wait till you start seeing dramatic improvements.. wont that be exciting.

I'll keep checking your log to see how u r

Thanks mate, appreciate your comments. It will be good to start seeing some real improvement but at the moment, I would settle for my skin going back to how it was before I started the 'tane.

Anyway, Day 10

My skin is actually a lot better today, no waxiness or redness and just a few small whiteheads which I tried not to pick but they kept getting bigger and bigger so I couldn't resist in the end. Shouldn't have bothered though as they soon came back. Still plenty of red marks which looks almost as bad as spots anyway but at least my face is a bit less lumpy today.

As for the side effects, still not too bad although I was in some serious pain last night when I was lying in bed. My legs were absolutely killing me right in the hip joints and what felt like all down the thigh bone. Also I've been feeling really tired and seriously lacking in any kind of motivation to do anything. I need to sort that out or I'll be skint!

Day 11

No big news really. My skin is looking a lot better though and no new spots so actually there's plenty of big news for me. That's it really.

So, in brief; skin looks good, hardly any aches or pains and lips and eyes are fine. Today is a good day. Check me out.

OK, can someone tell me how this works?? I only wrote my last entry a couple of hours ago and things were looking pretty good. In that time I have developed a big red lump next to my nose which feels huge and hurts a lot. This is definitely a massive one forming and in a really noticeable place. I thought it was bad before but at least they were on the jawline and didn't seem quite as noticeable.

This one is just right there! Unbelievable!