Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
QualityAssurance

I feel like stopping everything

I started a regimen as follows due to MILD acne

Shower at night using spectrogel (after washing hair)

get out right after

pat dry

use oil of olay (oilfree) moisterizer all over face

then sleep

thats it.. I used to use nothing at all and would be pretty clear

then I started to break out a bit more so I went to a drugstore and asked the beautician or whatever and she said Spectro was good but use a diff moisturizer.. im like ok, anything else? and shes like.. Hey you should try these Vichy products, they are a bit expensive but work very well. And she gives me the facewash and moisturizer.. she said id love it so much id come back for the toner, exfoliant and whatnot.. Well they sure make my face feel and SMELL good but im breaking out MORE with fat whiteheads and whatnot and I havent done that since highschool! (im 24). one thing im dreading is these zits on my CHEEKS which I never got before! those scar like a b*tch. and my face just feels bumpy and I see red spots everywhere.. Also its very greasy during the day.. I really don't know what to do, my acne isnt BAD but I feel as its going to get bad and I really don't have the mental stability to deal with it again. sorry for the run on

stop using vichy then. it seems to me THAT'S what's causing ur breakouts. for one, u said the products smelled good, well, fragrance can be irritating to the skin, hence breakouts.

then go back to ur old regimen AND STAY WITH IT. i found for me that using many different products and constantly switching was the main cause of breakouts, cuz i was always loading my skin with irritating crap.

u said started to breakout more before using vichy, well, find the reason so u can tackle it directly. presuming u didn't suddenly change ur regimen, there're plenty of other reasons. this is all i can think of.

- hormones? time of month issues?

- any change in lifestyle and diet? less fruits and vegetables? low on fibre? not enuf water? not enuf beauty sleep?

- season change? vvvv normal. i just had a minor breakout of clogged pores after the weather is becoming more spring-like.

btw, i LOVE specto jel too!!! ;)

stop using vichy then. it seems to me THAT'S what's causing ur breakouts. for one, u said the products smelled good, well, fragrance can be irritating to the skin, hence breakouts.

then go back to ur old regimen AND STAY WITH IT. i found for me that using many different products and constantly switching was the main cause of breakouts, cuz i was always loading my skin with irritating crap.

u said started to breakout more before using vichy, well, find the reason so u can tackle it directly. presuming u didn't suddenly change ur regimen, there're plenty of other reasons. this is all i can think of.

- hormones? time of month issues?

- any change in lifestyle and diet? less fruits and vegetables? low on fibre? not enuf water? not enuf beauty sleep?

- season change? vvvv normal. i just had a minor breakout of clogged pores after the weather is becoming more spring-like.

btw, i LOVE specto jel too!!! ;)

First of im a guy, so if theres something with my hormones im not sure how id know about it :).. as for the rest? I drink lots of water, I eat well (ive lost 18 pounds since summer).. Hmm ive always eaten a good amount of fibre.. Basically it seems the more I try the worse it gets! should I try not using moisturizer? im not sure if I should give up on Vichy doesnt stuff usually take a while before it fixes your skin up?. Im a little scared of BP but id rather try that then accutane and my acne really isnt bad enough for it either.. One thing im grateful for is I dont scar easily and heal very quicky.. I also just recently added 50mg zinc and 200mg of Aloe vera w/ my usual omega 3's so hopefully that helps. i'll probably go grab some BP and try to follow Dan's advice dead on.

oh and what washing in the morning? so far ive just been doing it before sleeping because I dont like irritating my face before work.. makes everything look red and inflammed :( thanks again

One never ask advice from a person over the counter chances are they never had acne in their life. And they will probably give you something that will make things way worst. Or they might be trying to sell you something because they get a kick back on it. I learn asking for help at your nearest walgreens is not always the best option. Especially when your talking to some 65 year old lady about acne.

--------------------------------------

Beyondclear the better regimen

http://www.beyondclear.cjb.net/

I wouldn't expect anyone to claer a mild case of acne by just cleansing and moisturizing alone. It sems like you guys just cleanse and moisturize...that's it.... Maybe that's why you guys are having some unsatisfactory results with your current regimens....

Just a thought....

yea, I agree with Labgirl,

if all I did was wash and moisturize, my skin would be a complete disaster.

Acne isn't caused by dirtiness, or lack or moisture typically.

A lot of comments but no advice? if you think I should do more please tell me what exactly. Regardless I woke up this morning and my skin looked a lot better.. Im gonna start eatting a lot more veggies (specifically carrots) and see what happens.. im also gonna be a bit more gentle when massaging the cleaner into my face. I have another question.. should I use acelytic acid(sp).. the oxy type stuff that wipes dirt/oil off your face? I have some but im not sure about its effectiveness. Also, are toners useful in any way? easy on me this time im a noob remember :)

how long have u used that regimen?

u kno, first days/weeks u start breakin out, dont give up!

i came to the conclusion that if i wanted a clear face, i had to do somethin, and u can see my gallery now =)

how long have u used that regimen?

u kno, first days/weeks u start breakin out, dont give up!

i came to the conclusion that if i wanted a clear face, i had to do somethin, and u can see my gallery now =)

been on vichy for about two weeks.. my situation just didn't appear to be getting BETTER and I got a few -new- zits.. but they have healed very quickly and my skin looks actually really good right now I need to stop overreacting and stick to what im using. problem now is I gotta go on Propecia because im losing my hair and im 24.. sad state of affairs. I hope that doesnt make me breakout

u could try stopping for a bit

I was on differni and when I stopped for a week, there was no dry skin and i do'nt break out, so I figure I'll only use it once a week and i've been fine since i started

Personally, Dan's Regimen (which Brandy just recc'ed) is what cleared me up. But it sounds like you have very mild acne, so that might be overkill for you. If your face seems to be responding to what you're doing, give it another few weeks before you give up. In my experience, it takes at least a month to see any positive difference with ANY regimen, since you will usually get some sort of initial breakout ("purging," as some people call it).

A lot of comments but no advice? if you think I should do more please tell me what exactly. Regardless I woke up this morning and my skin looked a lot better.. Im gonna start eatting a lot more veggies (specifically carrots) and see what happens.. im also gonna be a bit more gentle when massaging the cleaner into my face. I have another question.. should I use acelytic acid(sp).. the oxy type stuff that wipes dirt/oil off your face? I have some but im not sure about its effectiveness. Also, are toners useful in any way? easy on me this time im a noob remember :)

Why don't you describe your acne more precisely? Then maybe someone would feel comfortable giving more specific advice. If you mostly have clogged pores (comedonal acne), that's one issue ... and if you have a lot of inflamed pimples that's another ... and if you are getting cysts, that's another thing altogether.

I wish everyone on the board would include this information in their posts when asking for help, because not all acne is the same.

Q

Why don't you describe your acne more precisely? Then maybe someone would feel comfortable giving more specific advice. If you mostly have clogged pores (comedonal acne), that's one issue ... and if you have a lot of inflamed pimples that's another ... and if you are getting cysts, that's another thing altogether.

I wish everyone on the board would include this information in their posts when asking for help, because not all acne is the same.

Q

stay away from vichy. i had clear skin until i used their exfoliating cleanser. i broke out like mad and it took me 3 months to figure out is was the cleanser (duH) i thought it was stress...food...???

now i use biore oil free cleanser for acne, 2.5% bp and neutrogena oil free moisturizer and after three weeks of the clear skin regimen i am almost back to normal. also note by new products are 1/4 the price of Vichy.

is ur acne mild?

if so, i think ur usin so much products and u dont need em

I only have a few zits.. I freaked out when a few big ones formed out of nowhere. As of right now my skin is pretty much clear but its rather angry.. I got red marks, dry skin and blackheads. I actually have a patch of dryskin under my right eye that has a gummy texture to it so I just used some exfloliating cream and moisturized it. But anyways it sounds like you guys want me to stop vichy and im probably going to, i'll either go on the "regimen" or switch back to spectrogel. thanks for the advice.

I only have a few zits.. I freaked out when a few big ones formed out of nowhere. As of right now my skin is pretty much clear but its rather angry.. I got red marks, dry skin and blackheads.

This is a product I think could help you:

Green Cream

I've used it for 2+ months for mild acne, clogged pores, redmarks, and blackheads, and am almost completely clear; my skin overall looks a hundred times better. It's worth a look.

Q

You say the more you try, the more you breakout. I would make sure that the only time your touch your skin is when you wash it or apply moisturizer. Also, thorougly wash your hands before you do this. I don't know what that lady was talking about, how can a non-medicated moisturizer help clear your slin. Go back to the spectro and oil of olay moisturizer you were using, let your skin settle down and reevaluate it. Then, if you are still breaking out add some over the counter topicals, either BP or SA, one at a time. Afain make sure you don't pick or touch your face. You need to give any new regeime at least a month to show effectiveness.