Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
princess_nannan

foundation making my skin flake

I was using Merle Norman aqua base, but I realized it's making my skin flake. I tried the maybelline pure stuff, since my skin is sensitive right now and I didn't think it would break me out, but it also makes me flake. I have merle norman luxiva powder foundation but I don't like the finish, it's not smooth enough when worn by itself and I'd prefer more coverate. I know it's the makeup because when I go without makeup, I don't flake, but when I go without other things that might make me flake -- bp, glycolic acid -- and wear makeup, I do flake. But I'm afraid of makeups for drier skins breaking me out. Some days I'm oily, and sometimes I do have to spend a lot of time walking outside when it's hot (yes, even in february) so I don't want a really emollient, shiny makeup. Most of the non-oily-skin makeups I've seen are intended for older skin and have a dewier than matte finish, and I really don't want to look shiny. What makeup do you recommend? I think I may try Clarins ultra-comfort, does anyone have experience with this?

Guest Tenshi

it's not the make-up that is making u flake..it's the surface of your skin. have u tried xfoliating, moisturising and then waiting 15 minutes b4 the moisturiser sinks in? then applying your foundation? if it gets oily, u can dab it with oil control papers thru out the day or pat powder on..

Guest fatallyours

Tenshi is right, it's your skin that is flaky not the make-up..but the mu may be accentuating it.

Exfoliate with a gentle scrub (I like MAC's Microfine Refinisher) or a BHA (I like Paula's Choice Liquid 2%) or a AHA (I like Neostrata's Toning Solution 8% Glycolic Acid)

this article on exfoliants might help you figure out what kind you need for you skin:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/article....EFER=SKIN&ID=27

I have the ones I used in brackets, they are what worked for me and are just suggestions.

One foundation I do recommend is Chanel's Vitalumiere Creme. Sometimes whether you do exfoliate or not you are going to have flaky skin, but this is like a miracle foundation, it hides everything and makes the skin look balanced. Not oily or dry.

it's not the make-up that is making u flake..it's the surface of your skin. have u tried xfoliating, moisturising and then waiting 15 minutes b4 the moisturiser sinks in? then applying your foundation? if it gets oily, u can dab it with oil control papers thru out the day or pat powder on..

Actually makeup can make your skin flake. I notice that if I use a liquid foundation, my skin will flake horribly about 15 minutes after I out it on (the only time I actually wear liquid foundation is when I'm evaluating a formula at work). No amount of exfoliation helps. (I'm currently on Retin-A micro and Duac gel). On the days I don't wear makeup or I use a little tiny bit of my Bare Minerals, I don't flake at all ( I don't even have dry skin at all)

This is why....

Most foundations contain powders like spherical silica and polymers like HDI/trimethylolhexyllactone crosspolymer that have the ability to blur lines, large pores and imperfections. They also give a nice matte appearance to the skin, and provide a soft "rolling" feel....neat stuff really. Problem is is that they are absorbant (especially the silica), so they can suck up oil and moisture right out of your skin....and cause the upper cells of the statum corneum to flake off prematuraly...

I also find this phenomenon if I apply an oil absorbant powder to my skin as well......Mineral makeups (which are usually loose powders) don't contain these absorbant powders, so they don't make me flake...

It is the makeup. This first started happening months ago and since then I've been experimenting with different things. When I don't wear makeup I never get flakes. For awhile I was blaming it on glycolic acid, but over christmas I didn't wear makeup for a few days and noticed that I had no flakes, despite my skincare routine not changing. I would think I was having a good skin day and put on my makeup to go out at night, then come home and notice my face was flakey. It never happened when I didn't wear the makeup. Also, when I went without the glycolic acid and lightened my use of duac, the flakes did not subside at all. My skin does have dryness due to acne medications I'm using, but while this is probably why the foundation is so irritating, it's not what's causing the flaking itself because it doesn't happen when I'm not wearing makeup. The Maybelline pure stuff is even worse -- it causes flakes as soon as I put it on my skin (though I should have anticipated this since it has kaolin). For awhile the flaking was tolerable because I was only using SA and H2O2, and my skin wasn't too irritated so I could handle exfoliating every morning if I needed to. Right now I'm on Duac and Differin and I can't just scrub my face in the morning without it hurting like hell.

Labgirl, you're saying I should probably try mineral makeup? I've considered it but never tried it because I've never been pleased with the finish of a powdery makeup.

Guest Tenshi

how can makeup make skin flake? obviuosly its the condition of your skin not meshing well with your choice of makeup... if its flaking because of make-up maybe your makeup is too drying? i use Laura Mercier..oil free..but it's very silky and patting on with wet sponge helps.. using any medication on your skin is going to change it's canvas to work on... it's going to get drier throughout the day causing the flakes. maybe u need to invest a in a good quality moisturiser or use moisturising masks every now and then? do u take a vitamin E? or Primrose oil?

whenver i got flaky skin, aloe vera gel was my saviour..

This is why....

Most foundations contain powders like spherical silica and polymers like HDI/trimethylolhexyllactone crosspolymer that have the ability to blur lines, large pores and imperfections. They also give a nice matte appearance to the skin, and provide a soft "rolling" feel....neat stuff really. Problem is is that they are absorbant (especially the silica), so they can suck up oil and moisture right out of your skin....and cause the upper cells of the statum corneum to flake off prematuraly...

Labgirl - what happens if you use a moisturizer under the foundation? Does it prevent this effect by providing a barrier?

how can makeup make skin flake? obviuosly its the condition of your skin not meshing well with your choice of makeup... if its flaking because of make-up maybe your makeup is too drying? i use Laura Mercier..oil free..but it's very silky and patting on with wet sponge helps.. using any medication on your skin is going to change it's canvas to work on... it's going to get drier throughout the day causing the flakes. maybe u need to invest a in a good quality moisturiser or use moisturising masks every now and then? do u take a vitamin E? or Primrose oil?

whenver i got flaky skin, aloe vera gel was my saviour..

Don't even get me started on the Laura Mercier Oil Free gunk....It's not even oil free...

Labgirl - what happens if you use a moisturizer under the foundation? Does it prevent this effect by providing a barrier?

Not really....maybe if you applied Vaseline first (forms a great occlusive barrier)....

I moisturize all the time. I'm on two topicals that severly compromise my skin's lipid barrier. If I don't I'll flake all over without the help of makeup.....

I think if you are on topical acne medications or taking a course of Accutane, many traditional foundations (either water or silicone based), could cause some degree of flaking, mostly due to the absorbant powders in them. Those powders will also absorb the oils in your moisturizer, so it may delay the flaking a little, but not prevent it completely. Most liquid foundations are a little drying and if your skin's lipid barrier is even a little disturbed the foundation will just accentuate it....

Labgirl, you're saying I should probably try mineral makeup? I've considered it but never tried it because I've never been pleased with the finish of a powdery makeup.

It's the only thing I can wear without flaking now. I get to try so many foundations at work, the one's i make and competative ones too). They all make me flake.

I don't think the finish of all mineral makeups looks powdery. The one I use actually gives a dewy finish (because of a high level of bismuth oxychloride, which imparts sheen as well as excellent skin adhearence). They usually don't contain absorbant fillers. Mica and the metal oxided pigments are only very slightly absorbant, when compared to absorbant fillers like silicas, polymethylmethacrylate, HDI/trimethylolhexyllactone crosspolymer, even talc.....

The nice thing is, is that you only need to use a tiny bit.....

So you recommend the Bare Minerals brand? I don't normally wear makeup but i'm getting married in June and would like something for the pictures that evens me out a bit without making me look like a mannequin. I really don't want to have to experiment with different brands to find something good.

Hey LabGirl,

Just to add to your LM Oil-free distaste, I emailed them and asked if the foundation was non-comedogenic. Here's what they said in reply:

"Thank you for your interest in Laura Mercier Cosmetics! While we do use as

many non-comedogenic ingredients as possible in the Oil Free Foundation, the

final product is not non-comedogenic tested."

Anyone want a cheapo bottle of Laura Mercier Oil-Free foundation in Blush Ivory? I'll sell it to you for pretty cheap. I just hate looking at the bottle sitting on my bathroom counter, knowing now that I'll probably only use it sparingly on special occasions, if at all.

So you recommend the Bare Minerals brand? I don't normally wear makeup but i'm getting married in June and would like something for the pictures that evens me out a bit without making me look like a mannequin. I really don't want to have to experiment with different brands to find something good.

I like that one. I've tried a few others, but they are all too matte and seem to powdery..the Bare Minerals has a nice sheen to it, and if it's applied right it looks and feels like my own skin....

I like the Bare Minerals one because of the bismuth oxychloride...I find that it makes the stuff wear like iron, way better than the non-bismuth oxychloride ones. There are a very few amount of people out there that have issues with bismuth and mica, but I'm not one of them.....if you can go to a Sephora or an Ulta you can actually try it befor you pay for it.....

Hey LabGirl,

Just to add to your LM Oil-free distaste, I emailed them and asked if the foundation was non-comedogenic. Here's what they said in reply:

"Thank you for your interest in Laura Mercier Cosmetics! While we do use as

many non-comedogenic ingredients as possible in the Oil Free Foundation, the

final product is not non-comedogenic tested."

Anyone want a cheapo bottle of Laura Mercier Oil-Free foundation in Blush Ivory? I'll sell it to you for pretty cheap. I just hate looking at the bottle sitting on my bathroom counter, knowing now that I'll probably only use it sparingly on special occasions, if at all.

That's what I thought....I really hope I wasn't the one who formulated that. I know I've formulated many similar water based makeups at my last job. I used to work for a contract manufacturer that did work for Laura Mercier. Contract manufacturers have a bunch of formulas that they sell to different companies. Who knows... that same formula could also be a Wet n' Wild or NYC Color foundation (or some other super cheapo makeup)....just in a different bottle....and the poor consumers would never know.....

If I'm going to invest in a high end cosmetic product I'd go for the ones from bigger companies that do their own formulating and manufacturing....like Lorea'l (who owns Lamcome) or Estee Lauder (who owns Clinique, Mac, ect...) not the small private lable companies....

Guest PokaHotAz

I like that one. I've tried a few others, but they are all too matte and seem to powdery..the Bare Minerals has a nice sheen to it, and if it's applied right it looks and feels like my own skin....

I like the Bare Minerals one because of the bismuth oxychloride...I find that it makes the stuff wear like iron, way better than the non-bismuth oxychloride ones. There are a very few amount of people out there that have issues with bismuth and mica, but I'm not one of them.....if you can go to a Sephora or an Ulta you can actually try it befor you pay for it.....

:clap::clap: thank u! see! all these people being paranoid about the mica n such ... its not bad for u, unless ur skin reacts to it ... which is rare

:shrug: what can u do...theyre missing out

:clap::clap: thank u! see! all these people being paranoid about the mica n such ... its not bad for u, unless ur skin reacts to it ... which is rare

:shrug: what can u do...theyre missing out

Creating consumer paranoia can be a very effective marketing technique....It gives us reasons to make "oil free", "talc free," "paraben free," "mica free" ect.... to intice comsumers into buying "____ free" products....

Guest Tenshi

so LM has not been tested as non-comedogenic? :think: i havent had any problems so far...

so LM has not been tested as non-comedogenic? :think: i havent had any problems so far...

Nope...they even admitted it too....just by the looking at the ingredients I can tell that it would most likely have failed a comedogenicity test anyway....I posted something about this in another thread.....

This is their IL (ingredient label)....

Aqua (Water), Propylene Glycol, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Talc, Kaolin, Ethylhexyl Stearate, Glyceryl Stearate, Stearic Acid, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Triethanolamine, Polysorbate 20, Squalane, Magnesium Aluminum Silicate, Sorbitan Laurate, Phenoxyethanol, Oleic Acid, Methylparaben, Lecithin, Propylparaben, Cocoyl Sarcosine, Trisodium EDTA, Panthenol, Tocopherol, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Polymethyl Methacrylate, Butylparaben, Retinyl Palmitate, Xanthan Gum, Ascorbic Acid, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, +/- (May Contain): Titanium Dioxide (Cl 77891), Mica (Cl 77019), Iron Oxides (Cl 77491, Cl 77492, Cl 77499), Ultramarines (Cl 77007).

This is a traditional water based emulsion that uses a soap system (stearic acid/triethanolamine). Propylene glycol at high levels can be irritating. This product is not oil free. It contains caprylic/capric triglyceride which the CTFA considers an oil (any triglyceride is an oil, although this one isn't comedogenic). I'm guessing the pH is around 8.5 (which is a bit high for human skin). Glyceryl stearate is a coemulsifyer that helps hold the emulsion together along with the xanthan gum and magnesium aluminum silicate. It also contains many ingredients that cause problems with comedogenicity like ethylhexyl palmitate (also called octyl palmitate), ethylhexyl stearate (octyl stearate) and oleic acid....which are very comedogenic raw materials...

They don't claim non-comedogenic, and probably don't even test for comedogenicity...To me it looks like it would fail miserabley....

I'm guessing it was manufactured by a small contract manufacturer (most of these private label companies like Laura Mercier and Trish McEvoy use contract manufacturers)...these companies usually don't have a lot of money so they don't often test for this stuff since the testing is expensive....I know...I used to work at one....who knows..... I could have formulated this....

Oh and that formula probably costs about $0.50 an ounce....you paying $39.50 for a pretty bottle....

I wouldn't buy it...you'd have to pay me to put it on my face....

If you haven't had a problem with it, than I'd keep using it, but if I started breaking out while using it, it's the first thing I'd ditch...