Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
helpSeeker

My Life on Differin

I'm a 25 year old male. Until last October, I had not suffered from acne since my 20th birthday. I had used Differin once before when I was a teenager with fantastic results. I work in a very high visibility corporate role and when my acne started acting up, I became very conscious of my appearance, which is very bad considering the work I have to perform.

I've been on Differin since mid-November and I want to share my experiences, and hopefully start a discussion.

First let me say this. My acne has caused me deep anguish. They say you only realize how good you had things until they are taken away from you. I had a beautiful face until a few months ago, and now I realize just how for granted I took it.

The warning signs began in September. I had a few tenacious zits that months. Maybe 3 or 4. They were not just simple dots you could pop in the morning, but deeper, thicker growths. I didn't think much of it and started washing my face with Nutrogena Acne Wash, which did little. A month later and I got my first cystic growth. It was painful, I had a hard time shaving around it and I finally realized that something serious was going on. I decided to get on Differin since it had worked so well before. I had been through all the "snake oils" in the past - astringenst and endless different face washes. I knew few of those treatments would work for me so I went straight for the Adalpene.

My first mistake - instead of going to my doctor right away to get a new DIfferin prescription, I pulled out a 2 year old tube that was sitting in my medicine cabinet. I used it until Jan 1st when i went out a got a tube of brand new Differin gel. Looking back, I think it was stale since I hardly saw any results in the first 7 weeks or so.

1st month: I stopped making eye contact with people. My skin was dry, scaled and very flaky. I had massive redness and 5 active lesions on my cheeks that just would not go away. In this early period I had panic attacks and I must admit, my condition reduced me to tears more than once. This is also the time I stopped going out. I figured that spending all that money on food and drinks was pointless if I looked like s**t so I turned to the TV, Internet and weekend nights at home alone. It wasn't like I was going to catch the eye of some pretty girl by going out anyway. I also discovered acne.org around this time. What a huge resource!

2nd Month: slight improvement. Cysts were reducing. But still lots of redness and dryness. I was still on the old Differin but at least it was something. I knew that my acne was going to flare up first, so I was tenacious and applied the medicine every night before sleeping. Also, from day 1, I started washing twice daily with Cetaphil.

Begin 2006: Finally, some improvement. My mom finally said I was looking better and that she really worried about me in the previous 2 months. I did not reveal just how much trauma the acne had caused me. But I prayed all the time that it would stop, and hopefully soon. I got my new tube on the first of the year and started using it with new resolve. I also went to Costco and picked up a 500 tablet jar of Centrum Complete in the hopes that it would correct any chemical imbalances that may be causing my condition.

February: My skin has settled down a lot. I have started using Cetaphil lotion in trace amounts on my face. But I am afraid it is causing me more acne since I have had a couple of new, albeit smaller zits in the last couple of days. Still fine tuning whatever it is I have to do to not have any acne at all. But the dryness and redness are way down, lesions are way down, I can shave again without skipping big patches or with excessive pain.

Future: I'm hoping that I'll have a lesion free March. That is my goal. And then, moving forward stay clear for as long as possible. Of course, summer will be challenging because of the heat and the sweating that comes with it.

I have suffered from chronic constipation for the last 3 years, and I think that has something to do with my condition (can't imagine it doesn't pollute my body). I am trying new laxatives to fix that issue. I also suffer from high stress from the constant deadlines, travel and long hours at the job (60+ hrs / week). I hope I can bring more balance to my life soon.

It's hard for me to reveal so much about myself but think this is the perfect place to do it. People here really accept others. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. It's my only way of giving back to this community that has done so much for me. Thanks!!!

Hey! thanks for sharing

I'm on Differin Gel right now...I'm into week 6 and for the first month my skin was looking so much better but into month 2 my skin started to breakout..however right now my pimples are going down and I'm just left with a couple of bumps, peeling and massive oiliness. I'm hoping it will start to really kick in soon, since you are supposed to see results during week 6-12 (or eight through twelve...i'd like to think of it as six..lol).

Keep updating us on your progress..I hope you see tons of success with the Differin (i hope I do too!)

:)

I was on Differin for 16 weeks. I used it in combination with Duac Gel for moderate, but cystic acne. I never took antibiotics (long story), but I cleared up pretty well without them.

I still wasn't completely clear (or totally free of cysts) after 16 weeks so I went back to my derm. Refused a 3-6 month course of mino for like the 5th time, and my derm settled on retin-a micro 0.04%. Worked much better than the differin. I'm almost 100% clear. I can be totally clear for about 3 weeks out of a month. I breakout a tiny bit once a month or so. I haven't had a cyst in almost two months (the last one I had injected) and I only get tiny little pustules (could almost be mistaken for whiteheads) that are reaaly close to the surface of the skin.

I'm a 25 year old male. Until last October, I had not suffered from acne since my 20th birthday. I had used Differin once before when I was a teenager with fantastic results. I work in a very high visibility corporate role and when my acne started acting up, I became very conscious of my appearance, which is very bad considering the work I have to perform.

I've been on Differin since mid-November and I want to share my experiences, and hopefully start a discussion.

First let me say this. My acne has caused me deep anguish. They say you only realize how good you had things until they are taken away from you. I had a beautiful face until a few months ago, and now I realize just how for granted I took it.

The warning signs began in September. I had a few tenacious zits that months. Maybe 3 or 4. They were not just simple dots you could pop in the morning, but deeper, thicker growths. I didn't think much of it and started washing my face with Nutrogena Acne Wash, which did little. A month later and I got my first cystic growth. It was painful, I had a hard time shaving around it and I finally realized that something serious was going on. I decided to get on Differin since it had worked so well before. I had been through all the "snake oils" in the past - astringenst and endless different face washes. I knew few of those treatments would work for me so I went straight for the Adalpene.

My first mistake - instead of going to my doctor right away to get a new DIfferin prescription, I pulled out a 2 year old tube that was sitting in my medicine cabinet. I used it until Jan 1st when i went out a got a tube of brand new Differin gel. Looking back, I think it was stale since I hardly saw any results in the first 7 weeks or so.

1st month: I stopped making eye contact with people. My skin was dry, scaled and very flaky. I had massive redness and 5 active lesions on my cheeks that just would not go away. In this early period I had panic attacks and I must admit, my condition reduced me to tears more than once. This is also the time I stopped going out. I figured that spending all that money on food and drinks was pointless if I looked like s**t so I turned to the TV, Internet and weekend nights at home alone. It wasn't like I was going to catch the eye of some pretty girl by going out anyway. I also discovered acne.org around this time. What a huge resource!

2nd Month: slight improvement. Cysts were reducing. But still lots of redness and dryness. I was still on the old Differin but at least it was something. I knew that my acne was going to flare up first, so I was tenacious and applied the medicine every night before sleeping. Also, from day 1, I started washing twice daily with Cetaphil.

Begin 2006: Finally, some improvement. My mom finally said I was looking better and that she really worried about me in the previous 2 months. I did not reveal just how much trauma the acne had caused me. But I prayed all the time that it would stop, and hopefully soon. I got my new tube on the first of the year and started using it with new resolve. I also went to Costco and picked up a 500 tablet jar of Centrum Complete in the hopes that it would correct any chemical imbalances that may be causing my condition.

February: My skin has settled down a lot. I have started using Cetaphil lotion in trace amounts on my face. But I am afraid it is causing me more acne since I have had a couple of new, albeit smaller zits in the last couple of days. Still fine tuning whatever it is I have to do to not have any acne at all. But the dryness and redness are way down, lesions are way down, I can shave again without skipping big patches or with excessive pain.

Future: I'm hoping that I'll have a lesion free March. That is my goal. And then, moving forward stay clear for as long as possible. Of course, summer will be challenging because of the heat and the sweating that comes with it.

I have suffered from chronic constipation for the last 3 years, and I think that has something to do with my condition (can't imagine it doesn't pollute my body). I am trying new laxatives to fix that issue. I also suffer from high stress from the constant deadlines, travel and long hours at the job (60+ hrs / week). I hope I can bring more balance to my life soon.

It's hard for me to reveal so much about myself but think this is the perfect place to do it. People here really accept others. I'll keep you guys updated on my progress. It's my only way of giving back to this community that has done so much for me. Thanks!!!

OMG You couldnt have said it any better..thats exactly my story its so freaky and weirs...well Ive been on differin and clindoxly for about 9 weeks now...I had a break out but the redness and the previous acne or red spots are still there...so now my derm wants me to go on accutane

Another post about differin....

I think a good month has passed since I last posted to this thread. Here's an update.

In the last few weeks my skin has continues to clear up. My forehead area is no longer a problem spot and my cheeks (which were really had in January) are getting a lot better. However, just this weekend I sprouted a medium sized zit which is hurting and causing redness on my left cheek. I don't know where it is coming from, but I suspect that I recently exerted myself and sweated a lot and that caused this dormant zit to pick up strength. Hopefully the infection stays local. I could not resist a slight popping after the shower this morning when a nice white volcano tip had formed on the zit.

But to be objective, I think this episode aside, the improvement continues. I have no plans to stop using Differin.. it's my only hope.

I am on differin for 4 months. I started to see good results after 2-3 weeks. Btw if you use differin once a day and it doesnt work try it twice a day. I used it for 2 months twice a day and thats when the biggest improvement occured. Now I get a constant zit or two every week. I dont think this is bad since I had zits and even some cysts all over my cheeks.