Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Willow3

Really need some advice!

So I have been on tretinoin 0.1% for 14 weeks and 5 days. Am I kidding myself that this stuff is going to work? It has helped, I have breif periods when I think I will get clear, but then today I really looked at my face and realized it really isn't so good.

Here is a description of my skin:

I have about 30 pimples on my face, most are quite small little red bumps, about 5 are larger. I have about 5 small red bumps on my chest, and one large pimple. I have three or four active pimples on my back, with more of the little red bumps. Also I have alot of backhead on my nose, and whiteheads and blackheads scattered all over my face, back and chest. Overall I would consider my acne mild.

Should I give up? Should I wait a couple more weeks? Do think there is a chance that this will clear my skin?

By the way, accutane is not an option for me, or oral anti-biotics.

Topical retinoids take longer to work than other treatments and are really the only option for clearing comedones other than Accutane. Well actually i suppose some of the OTC acids might work. I'd give it six months, and maybe request a topical antibiotic as well to help with the inflammation. If it's till not helping after then, perhaps you could try a different type of retinoid.

Topical retinoids take longer to work than other treatments and are really the only option for clearing comedones other than Accutane. Well actually i suppose some of the OTC acids might work. I'd give it six months, and maybe request a topical antibiotic as well to help with the inflammation. If it's till not helping after then, perhaps you could try a different type of retinoid.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad you think I could still improve over the next couple of months. I don't mind waiting for clear skin, I was just worried there was no chance I would continue to improve. I was on dalacin-t (1% clind), but it didn't do a whole lot, maybe I'll go back on it.

If this doesn't work i will add in Diane 35, it helps quite a bit with my skin, I went off of it because I'm trying to avoid oral medications, I'm worried they will complicate my other medical conditions.

What about Diane 35? It reduces oil production, so it should help. My acne is definitely based more on alot of clogged pores. Maybe the combination of Diane 35 to reduce oil, and a retinoid to slow skin shedding would be a good option. I'm hesitant to add in any other topicals, because my skin is already so sensitive on the tretinoin.