Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SuperFly

Exactly why does the regimen work after a period of time?

I started November 29th and was clear in 4 days, then started breaking out again. Since then I've had maybe 5 days of clarity and the rest has been breakouts (I know my sig says got me clear, it did get me clear, just didn't keep me clear). You can see my regimen in my signature, and that's not the problem. I use about a finger and half of BP for my forehead and around my mouth, and do it twice a day. Right now I'm still breaking out and I started thinking about the regimen.

How does using BP prevent acne? I know it kills the bacteria, but what's it doing to prevent new pimples? I say this now because I've had 5 new pimples in the last 4 days and I'm just getting confused. I'm at the 2.5 month mark, so I should be seeing better results, especially when my acne was mild to begin with. I was thinking, why should I hope to be clear 3 months from now if I'm not clear after the first 2.5 months? Will something change? And am I missing something or does BP actually do nothing to prevent new pimples from forming? I'd like some advice please, and please don't refer me to those 4 pages (biggest mistakes, FAQ etc) as I've read them all many times and I've watched the videos many times as well.

Guest PokaHotAz

well im on ur same boat girlie ... im still breaking out ... my skin is better overall...but im still breakin out :doubt:

anyway, do u use make-up? do u have alot of clogged pores? just curious to see what ur skins condition is

Guest PokaHotAz
Ohhh ouch. I'm a guy.

:doh: oopsies

well... whats ur skin's condition right now? :)

Hmm, now I'm a tad bit worried. I'm on a very similar regimen as you right now (product-wise).

Wish I could help, but I can't.

Maybe something to consider: my skin seemed to be gradually improving until just today -- two days after I started using an AHA moisturizer -- when I suddenly got about 5 new spots. It irritated my skin a lot and I think that was the culprit. I was using a lot of it; I think I'm going to just use a little on the really dry spots from now on.

(but I also missed Sunday morning's application -- so it could be anything. Ahh, the frustrating vagueness of it all...)

Skin condition... I don't really know what you mean. I get little blackheads on my nose that are like indents instead of bumps, and if I stretch the skin around my chin/lips, I have little skin-coloured bumps that emit gunk if squeezed. My skin started with very mild acne and has been up and down since I started the regimen. I usually only have 1 or 2 active zits at one time and usually no redmarks (they clear up within a week for me). The problem is that the zits I get are usually big plump pustules surrounded by a red base which make them so so so obvious and ugly that I can't even make eye-contact with people. Right now I just got "over" a pustule on my forehead and I have a very red/sore papule right between my eyebrows. I also have another 2 zits on the way around my mouth. UGH! One week ago I was clear.

I do know what you mean, however -- it doesn't seem like the regimen helps clear your skin/pores at all. Blackheads all still stay, so I'm assuming most pore-blockage is still there. It just keeps the bacteria down through an onslaught of the bp.

I think Cetaphil Cleanser is the biggest joke in the world. For one, it has sodium lauryl sulfate, which always caused/aggravated my acne. It's acnegenic. For another, it doesn't really clean. You need a liquid cleanser to really clean.

Those skin colored bumps full of gunk you describe---exactly what i used to get when I used Cetaphil. IMO it doesn't really get oil and dirt off of the skin. Look into a gentle liquid cleanser, like Purpose (or Clean and Clear for Sensitive Skin, which is the exact same thing, just a bit cheaper!).

Your Clear but 2-3 pimples.... not a big deal

Oh yes, just because I have 2-3 giant hideous eruptions on my face instead of steady acne means it shouldn't bother me right?

Guest PokaHotAz

clogged pores ... i got some of them to ...hate em~!! cuz eventually they'll all surface and be pimples :(

I'm experiencing very similar results.... I always had mild acne, the regimen seemed to be immediately effective at first, then on-and-off breakouts.

If you don't already eat well maybe try changing your diet with healthy carbs and not too much fat; empirical support of the connection between diet and acne is far too great to reject the link on analitical grounds. Eat several small meals throughout the day, watch what you eat, drink lots of water.

Great suggestion as I too strongly believe that there's a correlation between acne and diet. Sadly, though, I've already completely cut out all junk food or otherwise unhealthy foods.

I think Cetaphil Cleanser is the biggest joke in the world. For one, it has sodium lauryl sulfate, which always caused/aggravated my acne. It's acnegenic. For another, it doesn't really clean. You need a liquid cleanser to really clean.

Those skin colored bumps full of gunk you describe---exactly what i used to get when I used Cetaphil. IMO it doesn't really get oil and dirt off of the skin. Look into a gentle liquid cleanser, like Purpose (or Clean and Clear for Sensitive Skin, which is the exact same thing, just a bit cheaper!).

Illy, perhaps she's on to something?

My theory:

Maybe you initially cleared up because the BP was doing it's job, but started breaking out again because of this ingredient clogging your pores up. Check this out:

http://www.cetaphil.com/products/ProductComparisonChart.aspx

It doesn't say that the normal cleanser is non-comedogenic; it says that the facial cleanser is non-comedogenic. The normal cleanser has "sodium lauryl sulfate" in it, the facial cleanser doesn't.

(of course, it does say the normal cleanser is okay for "acne," but how can a comedogenic product be good for acne? pff -- and I went and checked the bottle for the cleanser and it says non-comedogenic)

I'm using the normal cleanser on my face, and I'm still getting some pimples (a few less, but still, any is bad), and I can see that it's from an obviously clogged pore.

From various web sites from just the first page of the google search " "sodium lauryl sulfate" comedogenic":

A list of the most common comedogenic ingredients: ... Sodium Lauryl Sulfate ...

Sodium Lauryl Sulfate: A detergent common in shampoos and cleaners, where it is relatively safe due to short contact time. If exposure is prolonged is likely to cause skin irritation, dryness and other damage. In fact, sodium lauryl sulfate is sometimes used as a model skin irritant in the experiments where skin protectors are tested. Avoid products with sodium lauryl sulfate unless time of contact with the skin is very short. Even skin cleansers should rather be without it.

Dangerous Ingredients Listings - Sodium Lauryl Sulfate - Comedogenic

Hm. I think I will switch to the cleanser made specifically for the face, just to be safe...

WTF!

Why is it a recommended product then. I just ordered 16oz of that stuff. It cost me $24 because i live in ireland. That is a fuckin disgrace. I ordered this stuff thinkin it was the right stuff to use because it was recommended by this site in recommended products. And now your telling me it is the wrong stuff to use.

Im packing it in now.. Iv spent too much on products that are not helping at all. Im so angry

Golf, just because cetaphil isn't right for some people, doesn't mean it won't be good for you.

I've read good reviews on this product, just because one person has a bad reaction, doesn't make it bad.

You won't find a product, that at least a few people hate.

@ Illy, Remember you need to be following it precisely, wait for your skin to dry properly before applying the BP, apply the BP gently, then wait for the BP to dry before applying moisturiser.

Right now I've been doing the regimen for about 2 weeks, but using 5% Quinoderm and my skin is totally clear, I hope to god it keeps working, because it's nice to wake up and not have to stress about my skin. It's also far less irritating to my skin than both 2.5% Oxy on the spot and Dan's 2.5% gel, go figure?

Golf, just because cetaphil isn't right for some people, doesn't mean it won't be good for you.

I've read good reviews on this product, just because one person has a bad reaction, doesn't make it bad.

You won't find a product, that at least a few people hate.

@ Illy, Remember you need to be following it precisely, wait for your skin to dry properly before applying the BP, apply the BP gently, then wait for the BP to dry before applying moisturiser.

Right now I've been doing the regimen for about 2 weeks, but using 5% Quinoderm and my skin is totally clear, I hope to god it keeps working, because it's nice to wake up and not have to stress about my skin. It's also far less irritating to my skin than both 2.5% Oxy on the spot and Dan's 2.5% gel, go figure?

But according to sleepflower it contains pore blocking ingrediants. I think this site has got the facial and skin cetaphil products mixed up. They should clearly state that the skin cetaphil is suited for the body and facial is especialy for the face.

I ordered the cetaphil thinkin it was for the face but it turns out its not.

Guest PokaHotAz

i've been using the gnetle cleanser lately and im loving it...im not experiencing terrible dryness as before(bar soap) i apply, gently rub in and then wipe off with a wash cloth...i dont find it to be pore-clogging...give it a try u might like it.. dont be so paranoid...what works/may not work for some may be for u

i've been using the gnetle cleanser lately and im loving it...im not experiencing terrible dryness as before(bar soap) i apply, gently rub in and then wipe off with a wash cloth...i dont find it to be pore-clogging...give it a try u might like it.. dont be so paranoid...what works/may not work for some may be for u

mayb so .. is the 1 your using the skin cleanser or face cleanser? il give it a go when it arrives in the post. the 1 im using at the moment is cloggin my pores like hell i think ->clean and clear oil free cream wash. very frustrated :evil:

Guest PokaHotAz

lol what? th cetaphil gentle cleanser....its what its calledIPB Image