Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So over the weekend my family and I went to our shore house and we recently had a hottub installed. I've never really spent much time in a hottub but this weekend I basically lived in it. The strange thing is, my skin really seemed to clear up over the weekend. Could chlorine be the answer to clear skin for me? Has anyone else ever noticed anything like this?

-Bob

yes I have long time ago. Unfortuntly we no longer are around the hot tub, it has something to do witht he chlorine and how it is balanced out with the water. It is drying I did notice that, and am not sure if it is good for the skin for long periods of time. But it was nice to have clear skin for that amout of time.

When I went on vacation I noticed that saltwater in the ocean cleared a couple of my zits, made them fall off. Only the really small ones though, the other ones it didn't help at all.

Pretty much every swimmer or water polo player I know has nearly flawless skin, so I'd imagine the drying effect of chlorine helps prevent breakouts. I think you'd be golden as long as you moisturized.

Interesting stuff... I've been avoiding my hot tub because I thought it would make my face WORSE. So I'm assuming it's ok to put the face in the water?

Chlorine kills bacteria. That's why they use it in hot tubs, pools, etc. The hot water/chlorine combo will also dry up your inflamed zits.

But if you have a lot of clogged pores, it isn't going to help those ... could even make the problem worse by dehydrating your skin.

Has anyone heard of HOT TUB FOLLICULITIS?

http://www.skinatlas.com/hottub2.htm

What if that happens on the face? Our hot tub is probably really dirty... I imagine that this hot tub stuff it safter at hotels, etc. Keep your hot tubs clean, folks!

Interesting and scary read:

http://www.epi.hss.state.ak.us/bulletins/docs/b1986_16.htm

Wooden tubs are particularly a problem. It is believed that once pseudomonas contaminates a wooden hot tub, eradication is impossible. Pseudomonas has been found in pores and cracks of the wood itself. Oregon has banned commercial use of wood-lined hot tubs.