Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LionQueen

Does your skin travel well?

So, my husband has this bright chirpy new idea that we really need to take a family backpacking trip. And I am resisting like hell. I have all these horrible memories of backpacking as a teenager, and coming out of the mountains after 7-10 days with my face a TOTAL disaster area.

Oh, and the last time he had a bright idea for a family trip? We went to Spain with our kids for 2+ months -- and I came back with the horrible case of pebbly, bumpy chicken-skin that drove me onto this board in the first place.

Don't get me wrong, I love to travel. I am not completely tied to my bathroom sink, and my current regimen is fairly portable ... not too many bottles and jars, and not very time-consuming. But I don't like to go for more than 2-3 weeks at a time, and I don't like going off into the wild anymore ... and I'm afraid that my reasons for both are that I don't want to screw up my face again.

So how about you guys ... does acne figure into your travel plans?

Q

UGH, I'm so with you on this point, Queen. I thought I'd like to travel, but my skin (at least before 'tane) hates it!

We went from Utah to Michigan last summer for two and a half weeks. That vacation literally ruined my skin, mainly due to the EXTREME jungle humidity of the Midwest.

I also avoid things like camping and being in sweaty places, because my face rejects those activities!! My husband and I got into a huge fight about going back to Michigan again this coming summer for a friends wedding. He didn't get the idea that for him it's just a vacation, whereas for me, it's a possible permanent damage situation for my face!

My regimen was pretty portable: Just Retin-A Micro and Purpose cleanser, along with some Cetaphil lotion if I needed it. However, this stuff did JACK for me when we traveled last summer. (I should also mention that I had begun using L'Oreal Infallible, which I partly blame for the acne freak-out as well.)

My travel-sensitive acne has also made me hate flying even more than I probably would have otherwise. I swear, last summer I sprouted new zits just being on the plane! Something in the air, I think. Plus, I just hate how they cram you in there like sardines. I'm always thisclose with someone who has perfect skin, and I just want to be able to blot my face and apply powder discreetly before landing without having people look at me as if I'm warped.

So, my answer to your question is a resounding NO!!!!!

I love to go camping for usually a month at a time in the backcountry. My skin usually doesn't do any worse as long as I wash it twice a day. It's a lot less stressful for me out there and that helps with my skin I think. My acne isn't on my mind nearly as much. Go backpacking!

It's a lot less stressful for me out there and that helps with my skin I think.

LOL ... that's because you aren't there with two small boys!!!

Family travel is fun sometimes but NEVER relaxing. :)

Well, I haven't completely ruled out the backpacking, but I do hope to put it off for a couple of years ... at least until the kids are older and less likely to jump off precipices.

We went from Utah to Michigan last summer for two and a half weeks. That vacation literally ruined my skin, mainly due to the EXTREME jungle humidity of the Midwest.

Yeah, I hear you ... we go to Wisconsin (from Northern CA) for a month each summer, and the humidity is hard to get used to. I don't think it makes me break out, although it definitely used to make my skin look really oily.

Q

if I am going to travel, I require bathrooms, showers, sinks, beds etc.

I had enough of roughing it as a kid, I want to be pampered when travelling now.

i have issues when i travel but not everytime i travel. This is why i am also trying to avoid using products that must be stored in the fridge. but i agree about being pampered now- i enjoy actual bathrooms and don't like to rough it.

it is interesting that many of my decisions on what to do involve my skin. i also hate going anywhere where i would have to go swimming for fear that makeup would come off and someone would see my skin and that is awful cause i used to love to swim. i also am fearing doing lots of outdoor activities because it seems that all sunblocks break me out. in fact trying to find a good sunblock last year sent my face into a horrible acne breakout. still dreading the warm weather coming.

I've never been backpacking or camping and I never will! Count me in as another woman who requires a bathroom close by. Queen you are a tougher woman than I am even to consider a trip like that!

Since my skin is so fair and sensitive I have stopped sunbathing altogether and I don't like going to climates with high humidity and heat - my skin will surely breakout. I put all of my skin care products (cleanser, toner) in small plastic travel bottles. The Finacea is in a tube plus I have to bring my own brand of shampoo, conditioner, undereye cream, sunblock and then the makeup. Phew - yeah I am high maintenance though I wish I was one of those people who could just pack an overnight bag and be off.

I wear minimal makeup on planes and keep all my essential skin care stuff in my carryon. Just in case I need that bottle of BP or wipe my face with toner.

I've never been backpacking or camping and I never will! Count me in as another woman who requires a bathroom close by. Queen you are a tougher woman than I am even to consider a trip like that!

Since my skin is so fair and sensitive I have stopped sunbathing altogether and I don't like going to climates with high humidity and heat - my skin will surely breakout. I put all of my skin care products (cleanser, toner) in small plastic travel bottles. The Finacea is in a tube plus I have to bring my own brand of shampoo, conditioner, undereye cream, sunblock and then the makeup. Phew - yeah I am high maintenance though I wish I was one of those people who could just pack an overnight bag and be off.

I wear minimal makeup on planes and keep all my essential skin care stuff in my carryon. Just in case I need that bottle of BP or wipe my face with toner.

me too. i wish i were more portable!! i'm working on it though, and since my skin cleared up a couple years ago [yeah it got worse a couple months ago now thanks to accutane it's normal again] i've tried to downsize a lot. and realize that no one thinks my skin is nearly as bad as i do. but it's just uncomfortable to 'rough it' i dont see the appeal. and it;s also not comfortable to have your normal washing routines. blah!

lol, a couple years ago when i'd stay over a friends house i'd bring what looked like a suitcase for a week. and then there's always the unexpected sleepovers, like when the weathers too bad to leave or you decide at the last minute or whatever, those are the WORST! no supplies at all!

oh yeah and an important PS: if you're flying, bring ALL of your face stuff and makeup in your carry-on and don't let it leave your sight. once they lost my suitcase and i had to try to buy new stuff in a foreign country it was a huge stress not to mention a huge waste of money [uS products overseas are soo expensive!) since they eventually found my bag right after i bought all this stuff.

I used to backpack a lot. One month in a foreign country wasn't a problem. Nowadays I work during holidays anyway so it doesn't really bother me, but I want to go packpacking again and I can't imagine following a regimen. You are lucky if you have a shower everyday, you know :D

I think there is definately something to travel messing with your face! When I fly up to see my parents with the kids I ALWAYS end up coming back with worse skin then I left with. Here are my theorys why this is so:

A.) My parents make me crazy.

B.) Different water (both for drinking and washing)

C.) Different humidity levels.

D.) Airplane trips just feel icky and stuffy to me. Besides, we are always in coach and no hot washcloths to wash your face there!!

E. ) Simply a different location...you are out of your element.

So yes...I think the como of these things can easily cause a breakout. Especially A.) because stress is SO much a part of it!

lol. Yeah, guess I didn't think of traveling with your family Queen. How old are your kids?

4 and 6, both boys ... little monsters ... :wub:

OMG- great post. I travel for work quite a bit, and yes it absolutely wreaks havoc on my face. Carys- I have DEFINITELY come off a plane with monster zits that were not there when I got on. Also, my regimen works with the water I have here, I think the combination of what I do here with the water works. The same regimen does not work anywhere else. Especially Vegas. That water is AWFUL. After a week there for work I came back with a chin that was so horrible and painful I was depressed for a week. Also, staying in a hotel with fluorescent bathroom lighting makes me pick like nobody's business.

However, I do enjoy a 3-day camping trip with my friends annually. I am self conscious (yes I am in my tent applying concealer and curling my eyelashes) but this is good for me because it's three days where I can't really pick my skin. Also, I just love lying in the sun, and somehow feel healthier after a weekend in the 'rough', going hiking, lying on the sand, nowhere near a mirror...

So, bottom line- plane travel: BAD; outdoors, no picking, no mirrors- GOOD (if you are the obsessive picking kind like me).

OMG- great post. I travel for work quite a bit, and yes it absolutely wreaks havoc on my face. Carys- I have DEFINITELY come off a plane with monster zits that were not there when I got on. Also, my regimen works with the water I have here, I think the combination of what I do here with the water works. The same regimen does not work anywhere else. Especially Vegas. That water is AWFUL. After a week there for work I came back with a chin that was so horrible and painful I was depressed for a week. Also, staying in a hotel with fluorescent bathroom lighting makes me pick like nobody's business.

However, I do enjoy a 3-day camping trip with my friends annually. I am self conscious (yes I am in my tent applying concealer and curling my eyelashes) but this is good for me because it's three days where I can't really pick my skin. Also, I just love lying in the sun, and somehow feel healthier after a weekend in the 'rough', going hiking, lying on the sand, nowhere near a mirror...

So, bottom line- plane travel: BAD; outdoors, no picking, no mirrors- GOOD (if you are the obsessive picking kind like me).

I don't travel well either. Seems like even short, week-end trips can cause a problem. I've wondered if it is due to changes in the Ph of the water and my skin having to adjust to that difference creates irritation.