Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ThereIsALight

YAG non ablative

i found out that my doc has YAG non ablative. there was no gel. it was just these tiny zaps on my scars. i just tried to search this using the search tool and it said no results. can this be true?

anyone had this? how did it go? i'm one down, a few more to go.

Ah! Here you are...Sorry! I'm beginning to think that you see me as your stalker! I've heard of YAG, same story that runs for Smoothbeam here at Acne.org...'it don't work', blah, blah, blah....'save your money' yada yada....

I couldn't get a laser like that. The laser isn't meant for people prone to breakouts. That's all I know about it.

How' is your face currently??

EDIT: Never mind ThereIsALight...I just got your PM.

ThereIsALight, curious as to why you decided on YAG? Best of luck to you - I hope your skin responds very well to this treatment. Please keep us posted...

oh, I just pulled this off a website:

Er:YAG laser systems may greatly improve atrophic scars caused by acne, trauma, or surgery. In a series of 78 patients, Weinstein reported 70-90% improvement of acne scarring in the majority of patients treated with a modulated Er:YAG laser. Pitted acne scars may require ancillary procedures, such as subscision or punch excision, for optimal results. These procedures can be performed either prior to or concomitant with Er:YAG laser resurfacing.

ThereIsALight, curious as to why you decided on YAG? Best of luck to you - I hope your skin responds very well to this treatment. Please keep us posted...

oh, I just pulled this off a website:

Er:YAG laser systems may greatly improve atrophic scars caused by acne, trauma, or surgery. In a series of 78 patients, Weinstein reported 70-90% improvement of acne scarring in the majority of patients treated with a modulated Er:YAG laser. Pitted acne scars may require ancillary procedures, such as subscision or punch excision, for optimal results. These procedures can be performed either prior to or concomitant with Er:YAG laser resurfacing.

this isnt the right laser. there are different types of YAG. this one is non ablative. the one you quoted is more like laser resurfacing. i choose it b/c my derm recommended after seeing my skin. i went with it b/c i want to try something and get the ball rolling: either this will work or it'll get me to the next step that will work. thanks for the reply.

I think that is similar to what I had last week. The name of it is Scition Eribum Laser.

What setting did you have it? Let me know if i'm wrong

I think that is similar to what I had last week. The name of it is Scition Eribum Laser.

What setting did you have it? Let me know if i'm wrong

i know this is going to make me sound dumb, but i dont know the exact name. i go to a very reputable new york city laser doc who suggeted i try non ablative lasers. i asked what kind of laser it was today at my first session and the answer was "yag". there was no gel on my face. it was a series of zaps on my scars that felt strange but didn't really hurt a lot. i've heard that with this stuff you need at least 3 sesssions to see any improvement. i really just wanted to start something to see if i can get some good results.

how did yours go??

Then It might be different. The kind that I got has different

settings. I only tried 10 Microns because I was afraid it would

make my skin worse with higher settings since i'm Asian.

But there is not a big difference. I thik it is similar to doing

chemical peels. I did it on Friday and peel on Sunday.

But I think you should give it a try or else you never know

what is right for you. I am planning to talk to my doctors

this Friday about fraxel. Keep us updated.

Then It might be different. The kind that I got has different

settings. I only tried 10 Microns because I was afraid it would

make my skin worse with higher settings since i'm Asian.

But there is not a big difference. I thik it is similar to doing

chemical peels. I did it on Friday and peel on Sunday.

But I think you should give it a try or else you never know

what is right for you. I am planning to talk to my doctors

this Friday about fraxel. Keep us updated.

will do. you just have to get in the mix and test stuff out to see what works. the hard part is shelling out the cash, unless you're totally loaded. if i were i'd be trying everything!

Yeah I think it is the same with me and everyone.

If I have money, I wouldn't mind spending and trying

everything to fix my skin. Right now, it just hurts when

I have to put out money for any treatment. I think that's

why everyone complain when nothing works.

There is a clinic in my area that only offers the sciton erbium laser now ( they stopped using CO2). They do a subcision procedure first, then use the erbium to smooth it out.

Yes I think I remember my doctor mentioning that but she says

my scars are not large enough. I'm not sure, I should ask her

again to verify. But i'm going for another 10 micron next friday.

JSB:Are you toing to try it? and how much does it cost?

Just want to share my experience of erbium yag ( non-ablative ) micro-peels which i tried around 6-7 months back. I am asian with fair olive skin tone and have very shallow scars and scarred pores.

I tried two of these : first with 30 microns and second with 50 micron depth.

yes, it's very much like a peel and a thumb rule is, it takes a day per 10 micron to heal and peel.

Frankle speaking, I did not see much improvement on scars. So, I didn't continue. But I didn't have any bad effects ( no prolonged redness or hyperpigmentation ) and just like peel, my skin looked refreshed.

I paid around 300 $ per treatment.

The problem I think is, it doesn't go deep enough to stimulate collagen that is needed to soften the scar. If it goes deeper, it would no longer be non-ablative and will have longer down time.

So now, I have opted for Fraxel ( had 3 treatments so far ) and definitely seeing more improvement though Fraxel is more expensive.

coolbreeze22:

I noticed my skin peeled in 1-2 days from the Sciton laser.

But I thought 40 micorn would be invasive isn't it?

I'm going for 10 micron until I start on Fraxel.

Did you have to apply hydroquione for several weeks before

trying Fraxel? What type of scarring do you have and

is it deep, moderate, shallow? Do you have before and

after pictures? I really want to see the improvements that you

have too. My doctor says that she wouldn't go over 40 micron

for me. That would cost $600 but 10 micron will be $200.

How many Fraxel treatments are you doing and how much

is it costing you?

Just want to share my experience of erbium yag ( non-ablative ) micro-peels which i tried around 6-7 months back. I am asian with fair olive skin tone and have very shallow scars and scarred pores.

I tried two of these : first with 30 microns and second with 50 micron depth.

yes, it's very much like a peel and a thumb rule is, it takes a day per 10 micron to heal and peel.

Frankle speaking, I did not see much improvement on scars. So, I didn't continue. But I didn't have any bad effects ( no prolonged redness or hyperpigmentation ) and just like peel, my skin looked refreshed.

I paid around 300 $ per treatment.

The problem I think is, it doesn't go deep enough to stimulate collagen that is needed to soften the scar. If it goes deeper, it would no longer be non-ablative and will have longer down time.

So now, I have opted for Fraxel ( had 3 treatments so far ) and definitely seeing more improvement though Fraxel is more expensive.

hey this doesnt sound like the same thing. the one i have doesnt make you peel. also, ablative has nothing to do with skin depth effected. ablative means that the laser removes layers of skin. non ablative means the laser effects layers (no matter what the depth the layer) but does not remove any layers. they stimulate layers of skin below the top layer which in turns stimulates collogen production thereby filling the skin out on the upper layers.