Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GravityAlwaysWins

Do I increase my Accutane dosage?

So heres the deal: I have very persistent mild to moderate acne, which has been more towards the moderate side as of late. I weigh approximately 157 pounds/71kg and was prescribed 80mg of Accutane (sotret actually) per day on January 18. Up until now I've had very mild side effects. The usual dry/chapped lips which has been easily remedied with lip balm, and dry skin. Neither of these has been too bad yet. Today I went back to my dermatologist for my checkup and she recommended that I increase my dosage because I recently developed a few new cysts/pimples. She recommended increasing my dosage from 80mg a day, to 80mg one day, and then 120 the next. However she said that If i want to remain on 80mg a day for another month and see how that goes I can do that also. But if it turns out that I do need to increase my dosage after that I will have lost some time and will have to be on accutane for another month or so.

I'm really having a tough time deciding what to do. I dont want to take more tane than is needed, but at the same time I wanna get it over with as soon as possible. Any suggestions/advice??

Whoa!

I weigh 103 and I started accutane taking 60mg. But when I started to develop new cysts my derm decreased my amount to 40mg for a while. But now since I haven't had many major crisis pimples pop up she is having me take 60mg again.

So I don't know.

Whoa!

I weigh 103 and I started accutane taking 60mg. But when I started to develop new cysts my derm decreased my amount to 40mg for a while. But now since I haven't had many major crisis pimples pop up she is having me take 60mg again.

So I don't know.

Well I should add that my skin also cleared up a bit, and the cysts that developed were pretty minor but they were still new ones.

I agree with BTDT. An increased dosage will make it more likely that the treatment will work. As long as you can handle the side effects, I would go for it.

I wanted my doc to raise my dosage a while back, but she was pretty conservative with my dosing. Hopefully, I won't be any worse for wear because of it, acne-wise.