Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey everyone! My name is Jackie and today is actually Day 14 of taking Accutane, 40mg/day. I've been on this site for quite some time now and I finally decided I wanted to make my own Accutane log, but I couldnt figure it out for a while haha, so TennesseeGrl helped me out! I guess I'll start out with some history just like most people do...

I'm 17 years old, I have been getting pimples since I was about 13 or 14 years old, late middle school years. Then it got pretty bad my freshmen year of high school when I was 15 so I went to the doctor first and got Benzaclin, which actually helped alot and I still use today for spot treatment (5% Benzoyl Peroxide). But then still freshmen year my acne actually got worse and I went to the dermatologist. He gave me more Benzaclin, along with Diferin and I want to say minocyclin but I'm not sure, I just know it was some pill for acne. I used all that and nothing really changed, and the pill actually made me get sick to my stomache and sometimes even throw up. So summer before sophmore year I went back to the derm and he gave me a different pill to take, I'm not sure of the name I'll try and find out. And I didnt really take it all that much because I was just like "whatever the dermatologist is an asshole and cant help me". haha good attitude. By winter of sophmore year, just when I was about to turn 16 my skin cleared up so much, I dont know why becuase I didnt do anything different, but it did and I was so happy. I actually didnt even have to wear make up for a long time! But..... when April came around I started breaking out again around my period so I was like whatever its just because I'm getting my period, but it didnt stop. By the end of the summer I had developed what I was told by the derm was moderate to severe acne. I was perscribed more pills but I only took them for about 3 weeks because I am impatient and it didnt seem to help. I stopped using diferin because that dried out my skin too much. I was also perscribed tazorac, but that made my skin dry and red too so I didnt really use that either. I was planning on starting accutane as soon as possible, but then my hair started to fall out, which later I found out was due to stress, so I couldnt start accutane for a few months untill my hair grew back and we were sure it wasnt still falling out. So I got my accutane perscription on January 31st by my doctor and started that night.

For these first two weeks acne wise I haven't really broken out yet, and I've gotten maybe 6 new pimples since I've started. I actually have 1 big one I can feel coming in right in the middle of my forehead which really sucks but I'm going to not touch it and put like 10% benzoyl peroxide on it in hopes it will just go away! In the first week the blackheads on my nose were all pushed out and now I dont really have blackheads on my nose, just pores that need to close still! My skin really isn't bad now, when I got the accutane my doctor said I had moderate acne, but I do have some scarring and red marks, which I hope will go away eventually!

As for side effects.... I have chapped lips that go away once I put chapstick on, dry skin but when I put lotion on it is okay, and I got my first bloody nose today! Also the aching joints and back pain but I can deal with it.

So I will probably update daily now that I have my own log!! Good luck to anyone else doing accutane and if anyone is considering going on accutane I would tell you to go for it! :D

<3 Jackie

Hi again everyone! I'm going to post my daily regimen too!

Morning:

Dove Cleansing Cloths for Sensitive Skin

CeraVe Moisturizing Lotion

Day:

Pure Zone Foaming Cleanser, 2% Salicylic Acid

Night:

St. Ives Apricot Scrub for Blemish & Blackhead Control, 2% Salicylic Acid

Almay Oil Free Eye Make-up Remover

Benzaclin, 5% Benzoyl Peroxide, for spot treatment

CeraVe Moisturzing Lotion

Thanks Amber! I've been reading your log too and I'm sorry about your initial breakout coming now, but I'm sure that after this clears up you'll be clear for the rest of the time! And your story with your boyfriend really reminds me of myself haha because, I too have a boyfriend that I've been with for almost 2 years now and I did have acne when we started going out but then it got better. And then when it was better he moved away all the way to California! And I'm stuck here in Connecticut without him! So that probably has to do with stress and me getting pimples too, but anyways, whenever now that we visit I'm always so nervous about my skin because it's not clear like it used to be, although now it's better than it was. I remmeber the first time he came here I wouldnt even let him near me after I showered and he would be like, "Jackie you're beautiful no matter what, it's just some pimples and they'll eventually go away so stop worrying" and I'd just freak out and tell him to leave me alone! But now I'm going to visit him on February 22nd (8 DAYS!!!) and I'm excited to see him of course but also nervous about my skin. I hope if I do get an initial breakout, or more than what I've had so far, that I get it soon!! That way maybe it'll be gone by then haha!

Sorry that was so long haha.

DAY 15

Anyways, for today I have nothing new... that big pimple in the middle of my forehead is getting smaller and I think it might turn into a whitehead, which I would rather than just a big red bump since it would go away faster! I still have all my red marks of course, I'm going to buy Neosporin for scars tomorrow and try and put that on my scabs and healing pimples and scars so I don't get anymore! I try not to pick but sometimes you just have to! Today my skin is pretty dry especially around my nose creases and my mouth, better load up on the moisturizer tonight!

Oh yea by the way everyone Happy Valentine's Day!! :D Of course it's not much fun for me since my boyfriend lives almost 3000 miles away, but he did send me a dozen roses that I got today!!

hey ok i sound exactly like you. Im 16 and well, your 17. I thought my dermatologist was an asshole too becuase he just perscrbied me pills and creams that never worked. I liked Benzaclin but it only got me to a certain point, never cleared me. i see that ur on day 15, im on day 120. In the beginnig i used left over benzaclin onthe bad spots but really theres no need to. Accutane is strong enough and it just takes time. I remember finishing month 2 and i wasnt anywhere near clarity but just keep faith. I jsut finished the 4th month and im clear. you will be clear too, it just takes time!

Hey girl! Thanks for your post in my gallery. Happy Valentine's Day! Sorry you are without your sweetheart... I don't have one at all, just a string of horrible blind dates! My mom loves me though... she sent me flowers. :)

Anyway, i'm glad you are doing pretty well with your treatment. I hope you look pretty for your boy when you visit him next! I go to see my parents this weekend and I want to look good for them (since they are paying for it and all). I hope you don't get an IB at all! wouldn't that be lovely?

Hope you had an amazing day!

Good Luck with your course! At least you got flowers and you have a boyfriend...the only thing I got was some candy from my parents, but I don't eat too much sugar so I gave it to someone else. I hope you don't get your initial breakout when you get to see your boyfriend!

Thanks everyone for your comments! Amber, he actually moved out to California with his family in the beginning of this summer, his dad's company moved them. But it wasn't surprising because they move to a new part of the world really every 3 years or so... he's lived in Illinois, New Jersey, Australia, Connecticut, and now California! It's pretty insane!! Jess, I'm so happy for you that you're finally clear by month 4, does it always take this long for everyone? Or is it just dependent upon the person and their acne? Also did you have red spots and did the Accutane make them go away eventually too? I hope I just clear up soon!! And TennesseeGrl, I'm sorry about your blind date! But I'm sure you'll be finding plenty of guys very soon!!

Day 16:

Well today I was fine, I was dry this morning and had to load up on moisturizer so I could get my make up on! Even though I hate wearing make up because I feel it looks bad no matter how hard I try to put it on, oh well it's not like people cant tell I have bad skin! My skin started getting dry and flaky in school too today! So when I came home I washed my face and loaded up on some more moisturizer. I got a new small pimple on my chin today, really very small and if i left it alone it would have probably been gone by tomorrow anyways, BUT I squeezed it and now it's really red. It should be gone soon though! That big pimple in the middle of my forehead keeps getting smaller and smaller everyday! It hasnt turned into a white head and I dont think it will now, just gradually disappear. Also my nose started to peel today, I look like I got sunburn on my nose and now it's peeling! Eh, what can you do.... just some things that I'm willing to deal with to come out in the end with beautiful skin!

Also some questions for anyone who will answer!!

Will the red marks also go away from accutane or should I be putting some scar ointment or something on them?

And I have a lot of pimples underneath my skin, that you cant see but you can feel when you touch it... are those going to go away on accutane? And if they are, are they just going to like disappear and gradually get smaller or are they going to come up to the surface as big pimples??

Thanks everyone!! :D

Well neither of my questions were answered from last night!! :( Maybe someone will answer them today or tomorrow!

Day 17:

Today my skin was a lot drier then it has been which is scary, because I thought it was already really dry before today! I was flaking in school, it was pretty bad. I came home and washed my face and my face was really really red, I dont know why... I guess it's a side effect from the Accutane maybe? And probably the fact that I'm still using wash with salycilic acid in it, which is probably why I'm so dry too! Oh well, I'd rather be really dry then getting new pimples. I didnt get any new ones for today, all the ones I have are healing ones and/or scabs. I'm going to try not to pick at the scabs and hopefully they'll all heal in 6 days and I'll have gorgeous skin for when I go to California!! haha I wish. I did try to squeeze a few clogged pores on my right cheek near my nose today and now they are all red, but that will probably go away by tomorrow... oops :naughty: I can't help it, I'm a picker!

Okay so tomorrow is my last day of school before February break!! I'm sooo excited!! Time away from school is just always sooooo great!

Can someone please answer these questions?

Does accutane help the red marks fade or will they always be there? Should I be putting something on them to help them go away and not scar??

And I have a lot of pimples like under my skin that you cant see but you can feel if you rub my skin, will accutane make those go away? And if it does, will those just like get smaller and disappear under my skin or will the come above my skin as big pimples?

Thanks so much everyone! :D

Day 18:

Well the clogged pores I attempted to squeeze out yesterday all are gone except for one, which I just squeezed out and now have a little clay mask on it so it'll heal nicely. Nothing new otherwise, everything is just red marks and scabs. I really would like to know what to do about these red marks, like if I should be putting something on them or if they'll go away themselves, but no one seems to be reading or posting in in my log. :(

I have some dry skin mainly around my nose and mouth, and dry lips but I'm always using chapstick so it doesnt even bother me. Another weird side effect... my face gets like really hot and red when I'm like a little bit hot or like mad or something haha, but I've seen this in other people's logs too so I guess its okay.

Time's flying by, almost done with the 2nd blister pack!! So far I'm happy with the results, but I hope I didnt just jinx myself!

Thanks Kanmi!

Day 20:

Well its day 20 but I havent taken my pill yet today. Between yesterday and today I got 1 new pimple, which is right inside my nostril!! How weird! And it hurts too, cant pop it, but that's probably a good thing. I also got another pimple but that was from trying to squeeze more clogged pores :( I'm just gonna stop doing that, I keep causing more pimples! My skin is actually like flaking off today, it's pretty bad. I should probably be moisturizing more often but I'm scared I'll break out if I am not dried out haha. I fell asleep with a clay mask on last night, so I was really nervous this morning when I woke up, I thought I'd be broken out everywhere.... but actually it calmed everything down. I really dont know what to do about these red marks though! No one seems to know, at least no one's told me. I heard emu oil but I looked at CVS the other day and I couldnt find any. Maybe cocoa butter?? I have some and it says for marks, blemishes, dry skin, and chapped lips.... this is the stick form of cocoa butter, I also have the lotion which helps get rid of stretch marks and moisturizes skin. I dont know if Im going to try them though, for fear I will break out!!

3 days untill I go to California to see my boyfriend!!! :D If my skin looked like this before I was on accutane I'd be sooo happy because I would be able to cover it all up so good! But, since now my skin's so dry it's hard to wear makeup because I still flake during the day!! Oh well I'll just moisturize like crazy in the next day or so.... not today though, I wanna dry out that pimple I got from my clogged pore incident :shhh:

I had a huge spot on my forehead when I first started, I wrote about it in the beginning of my log, it's down now, just a red mark but I put a clay mask on it all the time to dry it out and I didnt touch it because I didnt want it to turn into something bigger! Good luck rock!!

Day 21:

I havent taken my pill yet, but it is day 21. So last night I went to bed a little mad at myself because I kept trying to squeeze clogged pores that werent ready to come out... and this morning I of course wake up to 2 new pimples, and then another tiny one. I popped 1 because it was a white head and I had to, and the tiny one. Ahh this sucks!! And only 2 days till I go to California to see my boyfriend I get new pimples!! It's probably also because I just ended my period yesterday and I always break out the couple days after my period.... sucks. :(

Otherwise my skin looks good and healthy. Really just red marks, maybe a couple scabs but those should be gone soon!! Now I'm putting 10% benzoyl peroxide on those 3 pimples and a clay mask over it to dry them out!! I know it's bad to be harsh on my skin and what not, but I really just want to dry these guys out!!

Hey everyone! I havent posted in a long time, but I've still been on the site reading other people's logs. I got home from California really late Sunday night, I had an amazing time! I really miss my boyfriend already!!

Today is Day 30:

I had my derm visit today to get my perscription refilled and what do you know?? iPledge starts today! So it was such a hassle to figure out and for them to even begin to think of what to do about my perscription! I have to go back Friday to the drugstore and try then! That means I wont have a pill for tomorrow!! But, my best friend is on Amnesteem 40mg a day too and she already got her perscription filled yesterday so I'm just gonna take one of her pills and give her one of mine once I get my perscription! This is going to be such a hassle!! Anyways, my derm today said that I dont look like a person with acne anymore, just a person with a couple pimples... haha, I was like okay well a couple pimples and acne are the same thing pal! And of course after my appointment today I start to get the dreaded hand rash so now I have to wait a month before I can say something to him and do something about it... just got to lotion up my hands for a month I guess!! Acne--- when I was in California I got one pimple the whole time, it was on the side of my mouth and it was pretty small, that's gone now. On the plane ride home I got another pimple on the opposite side of my mouth! They were symmetrical haha, and that one is almost gone now, just a really small scab. I got a tiny pimple on my chin this morning, and I squeezed it... but it cooporated and should be gone soon! And the worst of them alllll.......... That big pimple that I had in the middle of my forehead!!! It went completely away when I went to California but now that I'm back home it's returned too!! It's soo weird!! And its really big, but the derm said it looks like its drying out, so it will hopefully be gone in a week or so! Still have some red marks, I can tell some of them are fading but not nearly as many as I have. Also, I have absolutely no blackheads on my nose anymore... I said in the beginning of my course they came out and were just pores, but then they clogged back up again... and now, completely gone! I have no black heads whatsoever!

Anyways, today is the 1 month mark, my derm said after today it should only get better. He kept me on 40mg/day because my hair has been thinning this month, not drastically but I've been shedding more than usual. He said if it stops and my acne is the same next visit he'll move me up to 60mg/day if I still want to, which I do because I think I'll have a better chance at staying clear. Right now he says 40mg/day for 6 months but I want to do 40mg/day for the first 2 months, 60mg/day for months 3 and 4, and then back down to 40mg/day months 5 and 6.

Well, I'll update again sometime, hopefully I get my perscription on Friday!!