Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolet

Very pleased with Clinique Clarifying Makeup, so far...

On my quest for a better complexion, I decided to try Clinique's Clarifying Makeup. I've been a Mineral Makeup user forever...well, at least for the last 5 years..Bare Escentuals, Jane Iredale Amazing Base, J.Lynne, etc. And, it always seemed like they would just stop working for me. All of a sudden, they'd break me out in a rash or my pores would look huge, etc. So my last attempt was J.Lynne's, and I really, really wanted to like it because it only has like 3 ingredients, and no bismuth, but it was really cakey/geisha/un-natural looking on me...no matter how I applied it. With a kabuki brush, or mixed in with my moisturizer. And, now I'm convinced, it was contributing to my breakouts.

My last breakout left me with 4 new huge pimples in the middle of my forehead, a cluster on my temple, and a few little whiteheads by my mouth (not to mention all of my existing scars). Anyway, on a whim, I stopped by the Clinique counter and purchased the Exfoliating Scrub, the Clarifying Makeup and the Clarifying Powder. I immediatlely went home, washed my face and tried all of it out. I went to a party that night, and fell asleep with my makeup on (a BIG no-no!). I woke up all panicked in the morning, expecting to have a rash or gigantic boils all over my face..but nothing. After I washed my face, my pimples actually looked more diminished than the night before, and my face felt calmer, too. The makeup has salycic acid in it, which my skin seems to like (so far).

I've used this makeup now for 4 days, and I am loving it, so far. With it on, I almost feel like my skin looks good. It is a tad drying, but I think exfoliating and a good moisturizer will help the little flakies. My breakout has dissipated greatly, I don't have any new pimples on my face and the four on my forehead have shriveled up. I've never been a big fan of Clinique, at least not their 3-step system, but I would recommend this makeup. I am also going to try their Mild Clarifying Toner, with no alcohol in it, that also has salycic (sp?) acid in it.

*P.S. I will try and post a follow up in a few weeks to see if I haven't had a horrendous breakout or something.

*P.P.S. I HATE going to the cosmetic counters! All of the girls have flawless skin, and the woman who helped me gasped when I told her that I've been using Apple Cider Vinegar as a toner. She stared at me like I was from another planet. She didn't make me feel uncomfortable (intentionally), but I hate having someone look at my face under those lights so closely!!

AAaaarrrgghhh!

Just an update...I've been using the Clarifying Makeup since Saturday and just started using the Mild Clarifying Toner (with no alcohol in it). Oh, and I've exfoliated twice with their Exfoliating Scrub. My skin looks better than it has in months. Like I mentioned in my previous post, last Saturday I had four big cystic pimples grouped together in the middle of my forehead, a cluster of pimples on each of my temples, and a breakout around my mouth. Plus. I was super oily..blotting every hour. Today, less than a week later, I actually had someone compliment me on my complexion (which floored me). Now my skin is not very oily - I just blotted for the first time today (2:30pm) and their was barely anything on my Burt's Bees blotting paper. I have had one tiny little pimple pop up, but it's barely noticeable and already going away. All of the other pimples have calmed, flattened and are easily covered with the Clarifying makeup. This in just a few days. My skin went from angry and irritated to calm and almost happy! My pores are also smaller and blackheads dissapearing. Seems almost too good to be true...

I'll keep you guys updated. We're taking the kids to go see my grandfather in Holland. He's turning 100 years old!!

Anyway, I will let you know if this "clearing" continues through our travels.

Oh, my mom saw me for the first time since I've been using the clarifying makeup and she was amazed. She had noticed my bumpy forehead and the breakout around my mouth last week and mentioned that my skin looked worse. Yesterday she said, "Keep doing whatever your doing, it's working!"

**This may not work for everyone, but the Salicyc (sp?) Acid and the exfoliating seem to be my saving grace.

hey, I was using that foundation last summer and loved it.... perfect coverage, and really truely did help keep my skin more clear. I still broke out of course... but it really helped. I also find you don't need to coat this stuff thickly on your face to get the coverage you want, just a light coat and I'm good to go for the entire day.

Now that's my kind of foundation ;)

I plan on repurchasing again this summer.

hey, I was using that foundation last summer and loved it.... perfect coverage, and really truely did help keep my skin more clear. I still broke out of course... but it really helped. I also find you don't need to coat this stuff thickly on your face to get the coverage you want, just a light coat and I'm good to go for the entire day.

Now that's my kind of foundation ;)

I plan on repurchasing again this summer.

Hi Fox! I'm so glad to hear your good experience with this makeup. I just feel like it's too good to be true, because it's actually clearing my skin up while making it look better. I'm just waiting for my bubble to burst! I don't expect my skin to be perfect, but it's 80% better than before (than just last week!), and I'm watching my diet (avoid white sugar/flour and fried stuff) and drinking lemon water and green tea. Oh, and I'm trying oh-so-hard to not touch my face, too.

Do you only wear it during the summer? Is it because it's too drying in the winter?

:)

Basically I ran out last fall and then switched to clinique super balanced foundation. I find the super balanded a little thinner in texture, which I prefer in the winter, as I find I have to use more moisturizer and my skin calms down in the winter generally anyway, so I don't require the extra kick the clarifying seems to give.

Both are great foundations, but I prefer the super balanced in the winter months... however I am looking forward to re purchasing the clarifying come spring! weeee

:D

hey, do you find it has a little bit of an odd smell? It doesn'y deter me from using it, as it's so minor but I was just wondering if I was the only one, the girls at the clinique counter say they can't smell anything.

I thought perhaps it was the medicinal ingredient that was giving off that odour.

meh

I did notice a slight fragrance (which usually bugs me, and irritates my skin), but this is barely noticeable and (so far) non-irritating. I also wasn't sure if it was the Clarifying makeup or my eye cream I could smell. Maybe I'll try some of their other foundations/powders if my skin stays ok. My only gripe is that most of their makeup do not have an SPF. My moisturizer only has an SPF 15...so I best avoid the sun.

I did notice a slight fragrance (which usually bugs me, and irritates my skin), but this is barely noticeable and (so far) non-irritating. I also wasn't sure if it was the Clarifying makeup or my eye cream I could smell. Maybe I'll try some of their other foundations/powders if my skin stays ok. My only gripe is that most of their makeup do not have an SPF. My moisturizer only has an SPF 15...so I best avoid the sun.

Good luck with it :) I hope you continue to see improvements, or least maintain the complexion you've got now! I will check back here to see how it's going for ya

;)

Thanks, Fox, you're a doll!

Btw, I went back to the Clinique counter and purchased their Acne Solutions spot healing gel and have been using it on my trouble spots (forehead, temples and chin) for the last 2 nights. I was worried that throwing something new in the mix would cause me to wake up with little whiteheads all over my face (happens often). But, this morning when I rinsed my face it felt the smoothest it's felt in months. All the bumpiness is gone from my forehead (the clogged pores and the undergrounders), and my chin is, at the moment, pimple free.

Wow. The salicylic acid is working for me.....

Thanks, Fox, you're a doll!

Btw, I went back to the Clinique counter and purchased their Acne Solutions spot healing gel and have been using it on my trouble spots (forehead, temples and chin) for the last 2 nights. I was worried that throwing something new in the mix would cause me to wake up with little whiteheads all over my face (happens often). But, this morning when I rinsed my face it felt the smoothest it's felt in months. All the bumpiness is gone from my forehead (the clogged pores and the undergrounders), and my chin is, at the moment, pimple free.

Wow. The salicylic acid is working for me.....

That is super! I'm so happy that you found something that worked for you. When I first ventured out to the clinique counter I had started with their 3 step cleansing program. Loved the soap (although it didnt remove all the makeup or accumulated dirt from my face) it still made my skin feel like silk, didn't appreciate their too harsh toners... and thought the yellow gel cream was decent..... they really claimed it would help clear me up if I stuck to the routine. so I did... my face only got worse... I ended up taking a trip to my beloved dermatologist :D who fixed me right up with some dove and cetaphil (amazing, gentle stuff) lol, kind of off topic here... just wanted to share as when I first became attracted to clinique stuff I became a so called product junkie wanting to test everything out...... being the girl I am haha I just couldnt stick with what my doc reccomended me, and I headed back to that counter, I was in withdrawl :shhh: I picked up their acne solutions spot healing gel as well as the cleanser. I will first say, I thought I would be doing myself so much good to be using this cleanser, although it smelt like chemicals and felt like chemicals on my skin. I decided to give it a shot, even though it was drying my face out signifigantly and I didn't really feel it did the job of cleaning my skin thoroughly, so I had no choice but to toner afterwards. I used it throughout my trip to cancun last summer... my skin was quite a mess... as for the spot healing gel... it didn't do much for my skin and whenever I put it on I felt "uncomfortable" in my skin. even with makeup on top etc I ended up returning it for a refund. .. I'm glad it's working for you, but be aware. ;)

I believe that if you went to walmart or a place like that you could probably pick up a simple, decent salycic adid treatment for about $4-5

I used to use Clinique's 3 step system back in my early 20's, and it was just ok for me back then. I do remember the toner being really harsh. Now, I'm just washing with an Oatmeal soap (it's not great, but doesn't break me out), and I'm using Cliniques Mild Clarifying Toner that does not contain alcohol. For a moisturizer, I use Rachel Perry's Calendula/Cucumber Moisturizer (I may be getting the name mixed up), and it has an SPF and does not break me out...so I'm sticking with it. I also remember not being crazy about Clinique's Dramatically Different yellow stuff.

As for the Clinique's Spot Healing Gel, I read reviews where people were complaing of stinging and burning, etc. I must not have sensitive skin or something as I'm getting older, because I feel nothing. It's like putting thick water on my face. But, I will try and use it more sparingly because it does cause little flakies. Rather have the flakies, than the zitties....

;)

I used to use Clinique's 3 step system back in my early 20's, and it was just ok for me back then. I do remember the toner being really harsh. Now, I'm just washing with an Oatmeal soap (it's not great, but doesn't break me out), and I'm using Cliniques Mild Clarifying Toner that does not contain alcohol. For a moisturizer, I use Rachel Perry's Calendula/Cucumber Moisturizer (I may be getting the name mixed up), and it has an SPF and does not break me out...so I'm sticking with it. I also remember not being crazy about Clinique's Dramatically Different yellow stuff.

As for the Clinique's Spot Healing Gel, I read reviews where people were complaing of stinging and burning, etc. I must not have sensitive skin or something as I'm getting older, because I feel nothing. It's like putting thick water on my face. But, I will try and use it more sparingly because it does cause little flakies. Rather have the flakies, than the zitties....

;)

lol me too...... good luck with it, I hope it continues to improve. In the meantime, I was actually thinking of picking up a salycic acid treatment to treat just my chin as I'm finding I have blackheads there, although nowhere else and i've heard it;s good stuff for clogged pores..

Does the foundation have SA in it? I can't use SA, it always breaks me out.

Hi Amanda, yes it does have SA in it. It's so weird how something can work for one person and not the other. We all have one thing in common: acne. Yet, we all can't utilize the same solution. Guess you just have to keep trying different combos of things til you find your key. Benzoyl Peroxide, glycolic acid and other products just wreak havoc on my face. SA works great for me.

Wish I knew a similar makeup with a different pimple fighting ingredient in it....

You're lucky clinique has worked well for you. It breaks me out overnight when I use it :cry: and I've heard how well it works for some people. So unfair!