Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
digestives

healthy lifestyle = less acne

Most of the following tips will probably be familiar to most of the members here, but i will try to elaborate on my point of view and how it worked for me. i must admit that i dont ALWAYS follow a a healthy lifestyle... there are exceptions and i know it is not the ultimate CURE for my acne but it does help if you follow the tips:

<i have arranged the following in order of importance im my point of view>

1) Diet:- no matter what scientists say, no matter how many experiments they produce... i will 101% believe diet is directly related to acne. For me, i KNOW for a fact that if i eat KFC, too much pizza hut, munch a few chocolate bars, i'd break out. Sticking to a healthy diet im my view helps acne greatly. eat more fibre foods, choose fruits over fries. I all-bran cereal for breakfast (once every 2 days), salad for lunch, and normally rice, fish, vegetables for supper. I avoid deepfried / panfried foods. Also i dont eat much meat especially chiken and beef. You should have atleast 2 servings of vegetables and fruits per day so you get enough fibre as it helps absorb water into your system and better bowel movement. also when people say DRINK 8 GLASSES OF WATER PER DAY, it really means DRINK 8 GLASSES PER DAY. in all honestly i dont think i even drink that much, but i always try to--> and i do notice the more water i drink the clearer my skin seems to be.

2) Sleep: when you sleep, your body, especially your skin, rejuvenates itself and this is where metabolism occurs fastest. you should try to get atleast 8 hours sleep a day, and should sleep between 10:00 pm to 11:30 pm. my doctor has actually stated that this is healthy for the skin because after this time the skin stops producing this this healing function or whatever (i cant recall exactly what he said it sounded too scientific) but it does help. sleeping late and waking up late doesnt really work, you should always try to sleep early as possible. sometimes there are exceptions and once or twice is alright, but avoid frequent late nights.

3) Face wash: try to keep your face as dry (i mean oil-free) and clean as possible. but this is NOT to say you should frequently wash your face. I wash my face once every morning and night with a gentle face wash, and throughout the day i might splash water on my face twice. I also have oil blotter sheets and use one every 2~3 hours to remove excess oil. Also i think its good to not touch your face with your hands too often, unless you wash your hands first.

4) Exercise: it is quite good to get some exercise atleast once every 2 days. i just go for jogs around my neighborhood to get some fresh air as exercise circulates blood around your body and you sweat, flushing your toxins out.

Other things i do:

-Lemon water + green tea = i cant say for CERTAIN that this helps, but i've seen some good results after drinking green tea and lemon water daily. normally i dilute lemon juice with water, and drink green tea on its own. however if you put lemon juice in green tea it actually tastes pretty good!

-avoid sugary foods - ive read around in books and websites that too much sugar might cause acne, im not to sure if this is the case for me but being the paranoid freak that i am over the past month i have significantly reduced the amount of sugary foods i eat (ie candies, cookies, cakes) and i have seen reduced acne.

1) Diet:- no matter what scientists say, no matter how many experiments they produce... i will 101% believe diet is directly related to acne. For me, i KNOW for a fact that if i eat KFC, too much pizza hut, munch a few chocolate bars, i'd break out.

My own experience is consistent with the above statements. However, maybe not for the same theorized reasons. I am really starting to believe in glycemic load. Eat too much pizza in one sitting, chances are you are going to elicit a huge insulin response. Same with too much chocolate (high-sugar, milk chocolate, that is). Dr Loren Cordain is on the cutting edge of acne theory, I believe. He believes that a high glycemic load diet is one of the main factors in modern acne. Many people have referenced his acne article, which references good science, over the past year. I (and he) could be wrong. But at this point, I strongly doubt that we're wrong. Only time will tell for sure.

1) Diet:- no matter what scientists say, no matter how many experiments they produce... i will 101% believe diet is directly related to acne. For me, i KNOW for a fact that if i eat KFC, too much pizza hut, munch a few chocolate bars, i'd break out.

My own experience is consistent with the above statements. However, maybe not for the same theorized reasons. I am really starting to believe in glycemic load. Eat too much pizza in one sitting, chances are you are going to elicit a huge insulin response. Same with too much chocolate (high-sugar, milk chocolate, that is). Dr Loren Cordain is on the cutting edge of acne theory, I believe. He believes that a high glycemic load diet is one of the main factors in modern acne. Many people have referenced his acne article, which references good science, over the past year. I (and he) could be wrong. But at this point, I strongly doubt that we're wrong. Only time will tell for sure.

I agree with hobonobo. glycemic load tends to be a major factor