Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KT

Hyaluronic Acid supplements

Hi all

First of all - what a great addition to the acne.org forums!! I'm 31 with acne. I recently started taking source naturals hyaluronic acid supplements, in the form of biocell collagen cos I read on another forum that it makes your lips plumper! Vain, I know! :-) Well I'm not sure about my lips, but my acne has started clearing up... Now this could be a complete coincidence (I've also started taking a multivitamin - it could be that...) but I was wondering whether anyone else had ever heard of this helping, or had a similar experience?

I am not terribly knowledgeable about this ... but isn't it one of the supplements Dr. Perricone suggests for better skin? I believe it helps the skin to retain moisture. I don't know exactly how that would affect acne, but I am guessing that it might help the skin heal itself better. Here's the description I found:

Hyaluronic acid plays an integral role in maintaining and regulating moisture within the tissues and facilitating the transport of nutrients into the cells and the removal of metabolic waste. It is found in all of the body's tissues, with the highest concentrations located in the extracellular matrix of the skin and the synovial fluid that bathes the joints and cartilage.

Q

The product I'm taking is this one:

http://www.iherb.com/hyaluronic1.html

I've been on it for about 2 weeks now but I saw my acne calming down after a few days.

Queen of the hills: I think you may be right about the perricone thing - going to check out his book now....

Acne is still definitely calmer - no new breakouts

The product I'm taking is this one:

http://www.iherb.com/hyaluronic1.html

I've been on it for about 2 weeks now but I saw my acne calming down after a few days.

Queen of the hills: I think you may be right about the perricone thing - going to check out his book now....

Acne is still definitely calmer - no new breakouts

What about your skin, is it softer? Could it help cracked skin after e.g. tazorac maybe?

Think it's done amazing things for my skin - it's softer and the acne is definitely better. All i have now are a few tiny bumps under the skin on my chin, but no breakouts!

Has anyone else tried this more recently? I curious because reilyy said it helped fill in scars.........

I once read in this book--"skin type solutions" or some bs like that--that the only way to increase hyaluronic acid in your skin is to get it injected. The woman that wrote it was a derm and she spent like, an entire chapter going on and on about how this super special acid is made by our bodies, blah blah blah, and when it decreases that's it--you don't have it anymore and you can only really get it via injection from then (which is temporary and probably only administered by greedy derms for large fees). But I dunno, I think it kinda makes sense that you could get results with a supplement because if it's made by our bodies, couldn't we somehow induce more production of it? Is your skin looking all glowy and plump? If so, maybe it's not a coincidence.

Edited by alphabetpony