Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aussie Battler

Acne limiting your career?

So today I was talking to a mate who is like 15 and does commercials. A lot of American producers come here to Australia because the labour is cheaper, and he has done ads for Kool Aid, Old Navy, etc etc...He gets paid like AU$2-3000 per ad, for usually a couple of days work (not hard work).

I want to get a portfolio so I can start having the opportunity to get extras work or whatever. It pays quite well.

So I ran this past my father. He looked up and said, 'But first...you'd want to improve your complexion' and then went back to reading the paper or something. Then I just had this sinking feeling, and I was angry first at him. Then I realised he is right. Fuck it's so gay. Fuck you acne.

I worked a 10 hour shift the other day to get $95 and my mate works the same amount and gets like $2000. Fuck.

i can see nothn gay in it, but i know what u mean.

acne normally impacts your self-confidence, which is the key to promotion.

Lots of people with great skin cannot be actors or models because they dont have the looks or are just too shy and such. It's not a big deal. You can do other work, just use your brain.

So today I was talking to a mate who is like 15 and does commercials. A lot of American producers come here to Australia because the labour is cheaper, and he has done ads for Kool Aid, Old Navy, etc etc...He gets paid like AU$2-3000 per ad, for usually a couple of days work (not hard work).

I want to get a portfolio so I can start having the opportunity to get extras work or whatever. It pays quite well.

So I ran this past my father. He looked up and said, 'But first...you'd want to improve your complexion' and then went back to reading the paper or something. Then I just had this sinking feeling, and I was angry first at him. Then I realised he is right. Fuck it's so gay. Fuck you acne.

I worked a 10 hour shift the other day to get $95 and my mate works the same amount and gets like $2000. Fuck.

If EVERYONE could cut it in modeling and advertising, it wouldn't pay nearly as well. It takes a certain set of skills and innate features (i.e. good looks) to make it, and obviously not everyone has those. You may as well be whining about not being able to be a rocket scientist just because you're not that great at physics (I mean, assuming you're not, nothing personal, just not that many people are).

You don't have to be good looking to be an extra, I'm not the best looking guy around and I'v worked as an extra 4 times, as a "football hooligan" a "raver" a "person in the crowd" and a erm....."a tramp" had to grow my stubble out for the last one.

I'm signed up 2 agencies, but I have yet to be paid well for my appearance, just a free meal, travel expenses and a fun day out.

For most people who do this sort of work, its merely a hobby not a career choice as jobs are too infrequent and don't pay very well- except the lucky few who get a regular slot in soap opera's and the like..

The people who make these pictures don't look for perfection unless it's an ad for CK boxers or something like that, to portray reality effectively they need a good mixture of people depending on the setting their trying to create so it really doesn't matter if you'r tall, small, fat, thin, black, white, blonde, dark, bald, hairy, young, old, missing an arm......

Anyway, trying to forge a career out of being an extra is at best grasping at straws, at worst its's just plain retarded.

Yeah...I know it can definitely feel that way, I really do. Hang in there.

Acne limits my career I feel. that sounds quite defeatist, but acne robs me of confidence. Theres talk of me getting promotion at work, I'll take it on as its not gonna me a HUGE change but I can't imagine going for a job at a different company where I'd have to go meet a load of new people.

...but doesn't that involve taking some other guy's kidney's and leaving him in a bathtub filled with ice?

That's alot of work for a few extra bucks. :)

Guest Tenshi

yeah, i wanted to be a beauty therapist since i was 8...then acne ruined that for me..it's all i ever wanted to do and was good at doing...im doing it now tho..:) just wish it had been 5 years ago..

My goal career is to be a social worker. No money in that field at all, but for me, it would immensley emotionally rewarding.

yeah, i wanted to be a beauty therapist since i was 8...then acne ruined that for me..it's all i ever wanted to do and was good at doing...im doing it now tho..:) just wish it had been 5 years ago..

I've seen some beauty therapist with awful skin, you know. Judging by your photos, your skin is totally ok.

Guest Tenshi

I've seen some beauty therapist with awful skin, you know. Judging by your photos, your skin is totally ok.

thanks..but i had awful skin years ago..and me personally, i wouldn't go to a beautician who had awful skin..that would be like getting ur car fixed by a mechanic who couldn't start his own car..