Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PetPeeve

RE: Accutane vs. Antibios

How much more effective are antibios (i.e. Tetracycline, Erythromycin, Minocycline) against Accutane?

Also, aside from comparing Accutane against the antibios, do antibios have any success rate? How long does it take to see results?

thanks~

How much more effective are antibios (i.e. Tetracycline, Erythromycin, Minocycline) against Accutane?

Also, aside from comparing Accutane against the antibios, do antibios have any success rate? How long does it take to see results?

thanks~

Hi:

Antibiotics control your acne when you are using them. Once you stop using antibiotics, you will

likely breakout again. I experienced great results within the first few days of taking antibiotics. Unfortunately, they aren't as effective anymore.

Hope this helps!

Antibiotics are basically used in acne treatment for their anti-inflammatory effects. They don't help with the root cause (blocked pores), they just help to reduce inflammation. Some people have good results from long term antibiotic treatment, but it's temporary. Often an antibiotic that worked great for months will suddenly cease to be effective, and you'll have to switch to another. The theory is that you use it to get it under control and use topicals to maintain it. The approach only works for mild to moderate acne, generally speaking. And many people are worried about the idea of taking antibiotics long term because of bacterial resistance and the effect of antibiotics on the helpful bacteria in the gut. Like most acne treatments, it takes about three months before you can determine whether it's helping, and sometimes one type will help but not another.

Accutane is a much more effective treatment, but it also has those side effects which you are familiar with. Accutane has mild anti-inflammation properties, it regulates the rate at which cells slough into the pores (so it stops the clogging which is the real issue), and slows oil gland production. The effects often persist after the course finishes, leading to it's astounding success rate. Of course, the less desireable effects sometimes persist as well.

Okay. Thanks. The reason I ask is because I was on Accutane a long time ago and it helped me tremendously, but I after my acne I was left with scars which I now want to address with laser therapy. The only thing is that I am very susceptible to breaking out when my skin is irritated and not because of the oil or clogged pores. The laser will irritate me so I want to prevent those post treatment breakouts. My derm reccommended antibios because I rejected a second round of Accutane, he agreed it was probably for the best, but he hasn't yet reccomended a specific antibio. Right now I am researching the side effects of antibios which is the reason I rejected Accutane again since those effects hit me pretty strong.

Yeah, antibods like mino don't do crap. It's all a gimmick to get you ready for the real stuff (accutane).

Yes, I don't have nor did I remember ever suffering from severe postules, which leaves a mystery all on it's own on how did I scar the way I did. I don't have deep scarring either, just many shallow icepicks and rolling marks. My face is calm right now. It has been so for many years, but I know I am still prone to breakouts because of irritants which is what I want to prevent using an antibio. But if need be, if my acne ever gets out of control even with the antibios, I may consider Accutane again.

From my personal experience with oxytetracycline, it helped me against new acne. I took it for like 4 months during which I didn't have any new acne, but my old acne stayed so it didn't kill it off. I didn't experience any side effects whatsoever. My acne got worse after 2-3 months I stopped using it.

I'm not a fan of using oral antibiotics for acne treatment. I almost wish my derm would have let me go straight to Accutane last summer. I went in there with a case of what he called moderate cystic acne (that was scarring). He tried to prescribe me a course of mino, but I'm allergic to cyclins. I need try and fail three different antibiotics, before I can try Accutane. I ended up with topical retinoids and a topical antibiotic...and I'm almost clear, but I stil have an occasional breakout and an occasional cyst, but I can't complain to my derm, since I never took the antiboitics he suggested....when I told him about my reservations about being on a six month or year long course of antibitoics and how it's not a cure, it's only temporary, he said...."well you could out grow your acne by the time you finish high school"....I had to remind him that I'm 24 not 14...

I only think antibiotics are necessecary for a quick resolve of inflammatory acne, and pail in comparison to the effectivness of Accutane. My sister had acne so bad as a teenager that it somehow affected her lymph nodes in her head and neck. She was a teenager and had a chance of outgrowing it (she ended up on accutane later that year). For acne that severe, it's not a horrible idea, just to get rid of some of the bacteria under the skin that BP or topical antibiotcs can't get to. I don't advocate using them long term and cycling through different ones, once the bacteria becomes resistant, especially if you are an adult with acne, since theire probably isn't a chance of outgrowing it.....

Besides they have side effects and they also kill the good "friendly" bacteria in your body that keeps the proliferation of unwanted mirobes from getting out of hand (which can be a big problem if you are female.) there have also been studies done recently that show that acne sufferes who took antibiotics have weaker immune systems than those who did not...

I have another question. Like I stated before, I don't have acne anymore and I'm just doing the antibios as a preventive, but from what you guys have posted it seems the skin can become very dependent on the antibios. What if you didn't have acne to begin with like me, if I go on it and then stop it, might it cause me to break out?

Guest Grow_To_Overthrow

I have another question. Like I stated before, I don't have acne anymore and I'm just doing the antibios as a preventive, but from what you guys have posted it seems the skin can become very dependent on the antibios. What if you didn't have acne to begin with like me, if I go on it and then stop it, might it cause me to break out?

From experience and reading on here, a slight breakout can occour when getting off anti-biotic's. However, you can avoid it somewhat by weining yourself off of them.

Your body can become immune to strains of anti-biotics, but i think the theory that taking a round of anti-biotics is going to breed some super bug has been quashed. It's more likely that the effectiveness of that particular one is going to be reduced after use. It would be advisable to avoid significantly prolonged use.

From experience and reading on here, a slight breakout can occour when getting off anti-biotic's. However, you can avoid it somewhat by weining yourself off of them.

Your body can become immune to strains of anti-biotics, but i think the theory that taking a round of anti-biotics is going to breed some super bug has been quashed. It's more likely that the effectiveness of that particular one is going to be reduced after use. It would be advisable to avoid significantly prolonged use.

So essentially after you are off it, what you are saying is that the antibios themselves can cause the problem it controls while on it in the first place? Can anyone give even more medical logic to this?

Antibiotics never worked too much for me....i got a yeast infection :X . The Dr. said that is a potential side effect. Also, I take birth control pills and it can mess-up the pills' overall effectiveness. There is an actual warning on my birth control pill label...so you should always tell your Dr. about other medication you're taking. I read somewhere that long-term use of antibiotics can force your body to build up a resistance :evil: to the medication and if you ever develop some type of viral or bacterial illness in which you really need antibiotics to cure the infection, your Dr. may need to prescribe various antibiotics, a stronger dosage or some other type of drug.

I suppose that a couple of months of medication won't hurt me. This is only a preventive after the laser treatment. I ask all these questions because antibios was just implied between me and my derm before I decided to get any treatment. But now that I have decided I want to discuss any possible alternatives and treatments for acne prevention aside from Accutane more in depth. Accutane would just be a last resort.

Ok so I've only been on tane for a week but I've noticed that my skin isn't nearly as oily. I am starting to experience the "drying out." I must say that antibiotics helped me in great amounts, but accutane is gonna be a miracle for me. I had moderate cystic acne and extremely oily skin for about 3 years and when I started going to the derm it became very mild, but I was still breaking out bad enough. I would say give it a try if you want to. It couldn't hurt.

Ok so I've only been on tane for a week but I've noticed that my skin isn't nearly as oily. I am starting to experience the "drying out." I must say that antibiotics helped me in great amounts, but accutane is gonna be a miracle for me. I had moderate cystic acne and extremely oily skin for about 3 years and when I started going to the derm it became very mild, but I was still breaking out bad enough. I would say give it a try if you want to. It couldn't hurt.

So when you were on antibios, your skin was still oily, but with less breakouts?

Yes it was less oil, but I had very oily skin to start with. I would pretend I was blowing my nose just to whipe some of it off my face. As for the breakouts, well, antibiotics weren't strong enough for me. They helped keep my skin from breaking out as often and as bad. I'm on my 12th day of Accutane and my skin is barely oily. It makes me so happy. Although I broke out alot at first. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I got big pimples like i normally would, whiteheads. THey weren't oozing though. Today I woke and my chin was like swollen from all the breakouts and hurt. I could barely talk so I stayed home from school. DOn't be alarmed by what happened to me because it's not so bad. I went through middle school and almost half of high school with the worst acne I had ever seen someone have. Another thing I noticed is that the breakouts vlear up pretty fast, not a month for each cyst. Accutane is a miracle for me. :D