Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi; okay well I'm curious about peoples' experiences with large doses of vitamins (particuarly multivitamins). I know that most people on these message boards have tried a lot of vitamins, so is more better for you all (i.e. do you find that taking a mega multivitamin such as a Solaray, twinlab or GNC multi better than taking a multivitamin that may be cheaper, yet contains about 100% of RDA (even if it excludes Iodine)? Because from personal experience, I have found that taking a multivitamin that contains a lot over the RDA breaks me out more ( and possibly particular b-vitamins being the main contributor), but also I am wondering if it may be because I don't give it a long enough time to see if it'll work. What do you all think? Also, I know a lot of people talk about taking individual vitamins instead of multivitamins as they say that helps them more; Anyways I'm just trying to get peoples' feedback

JJ

I've been taking the GNC Mega Men vitamin for a few weeks now. Haven't really noticed any difference one way or the other....except my pee is neon yellow after I take one (says to take 2 pills, but I split them up throughout the day).

I'm going to keep taking them though since overall it's real cheap 0.40 a day, may get a lower priced one at that like Centrum.

i'm not positive, but i think i remember reading somewhere that 100% RDA is the bare minimum requirement of ingredients that a body needs for MVs that was set around a decade ago.

I've been taking the GNC Mega Men vitamin for a few weeks now. Haven't really noticed any difference one way or the other....except my pee is neon yellow after I take one (says to take 2 pills, but I split them up throughout the day).

I'm going to keep taking them though since overall it's real cheap 0.40 a day, may get a lower priced one at that like Centrum.

lol!

I was gonna put up something about my neon yellow piss but it sounded kinda stupid. That was just from my zinc or B6.

i'm not positive, but i think i remember reading somewhere that 100% RDA is the bare minimum requirement of ingredients that a body needs for MVs that was set around a decade ago.

That is true, but at the same time I haven't found that taking vitamins like 500% or so over the RDA has benefited my skin anymore, but only caused it to worsen. Vitamins in large doses have only worsened my problem, but I want to see if anyone else has experienced that, or maybe in fact they do not know that is what is causing it. For about a year I was taking all these vitamins, trying this one and that one, wondering what is gonna be the cure all; I tried zinc, vitamin e, beta carotene, vitamin a, fish oil, multivitamins, borage, oil, flaxseed oil, selenium, chromium, B vitamins, B6, b5, etc. etc. etc.. But I found out a major cause of the worsening of my acne was the vitamin e (oil) which taken internally only caused me to have worse skin. Vitamin E=OIL. The source I tried of vitamin a=fish liver oil=oilier skin (for me). Beta Carotene contained oil= breakouts. So I'd say the worst culprit for me was taking the vitamins with oil; I also of course tried flaxseed and borage oil which worsened my skin. And of course I didn't realize that a vitamin such as vitamin a, in the form of fish oil was a cause of my breakouts. I had just assumed that because it's "vitamin a" well then it must be good; I was wrong. The only dietary supplement I have ever found to benefit my skin thus far was multivitamins with 100% of the rda (or close to it); I try to exclude the iodine, however, because I don't want to take a chance. Again, I think that large doses of vitamins may benefit people with milder forms of acne, but at my age, which is 19, my acne has subsided much by taking just a multivitamin near the RDA (I also at one time started using benzoyl peroxide which got rid of a lot of my acne that I believe had resulted from acne antibiotic usage); Furthermore, I thave personally found from experience that large doses of vitamins, even vitamins such as "vitamin a" or "Flaxseed oil" or "zinc" don't necessarily equal good clear skin. I do believe, however, that a a sufficient amount of the necessary vitamins=healthier body, which equals healthier skin. Again, I base this off of empirical reasoning though; I reccommend this site which shows some of the vitamins and minerals in large doses that may cause acne for acne prone individuals: http://www.acu-cell.com/dis.html

JJ

i take gnc's ultra mega gold and now also piss strobe.

i got interested in flaxseed oil because i thought it would help with my face. i can't see much of a difference, but i see my face everyday so its hard for me to tell. i still take them because they benefit my overall health anyway. i think they help with muscle retention..might've read that somewhere..

lol!

I was gonna put up something about my neon yellow piss but it sounded kinda stupid. That was just from my zinc or B6.

That'd be from B Vitamins; not sure which ones in particular. I don't think zinc causes that though.