Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
danniflava

How to get amazing abs.

So, I'm 15-years-old (I'll be 16 in June), and I want an amazing torso area. I am 115 lbs., 5'6 1/2''. Whatever I seem to eat, I don't seem to gain any weight. I would like to be around 125-130 lbs., only because I look a little jaunt (or gaunt?? sp.) right now. I want to know how to get those amazing six-packs. My mother goes to the gym, and she's lost 30 lbs., and she said that it would be really easy for me to get a six-pack because I don't have any weight to lose, I can just gain muscle.

do crunches. At the gym it's much more convenient than at home, because there's that crunch pad thing.. the one where you lock your legs around a poofy bar on top.. this thing: http://www.ironcompany.com/ProductImages/n...nd/l3161-lg.jpg

I don't like to incline it, because you're not trying to build up more muscle, you're trying to TONE the muscle. So you want minimal resistance and maximum number of reps.

It's a lot more motivating when you're at the gym. I started seeing results after a few weeks of going to the gym 2-3 times per week, and doing about 40-60 crunches each time.

Building muscle is really straight-forward. Go to the gym on a regular basis, and use the equipment. Eating protein afterwards helps too. I like grilled chicken breast after the gym. Good luck! :)

Your 15 you shouldnt even be lifting weights at all. Im 17 and I shouldnt even be working out.

All you should be doing is

1) eat right (high protein diet)

2) Do alot of push ups and situps

3) Look for programs that help tone your body up that only use your own body weight. Your waaay too young to be doign weights at all.

At the gym i dont lift heavy. I always keep teh reps between 12-15 and no lower.

Getting a 6 pack is more than just working your abs. Even if you have a thin layer of baby fat which at your age will still have you wont be bale to really see it.

You cant get rid of baby fat. I have it and it cant go away.

Your 15 you shouldnt even be lifting weights at all. Im 17 and I shouldnt even be working out.

That's the first time I've ever heard that.. Really? Why shouldn't teenagers work out? Most people I know have been working out since about 14 with heavy weights, and they're fine. What potential problems can result from working out as a teenager?

I found this short artivle which makes good sense.

So when can kids start working on their strength?

Strength training and weightlifting for children remain controversial issues despite mounting evidence regarding potential benefits versus risks.

The big issues are whether these activities are safe for children and whether these activities worthwhile in terms of benefits or should they be delayed until well after puberty?

According to Chris Barnes, youngsters can enter a gym as young as nine or ten, providing they do so in a safe and controlled manner.

Harry Potter in action

Can the kids at Boro' borrow your broom Harry?

However, the idea here is to introduce youngsters to the techniques rather than to lift weights.

To implant good techniques into them from an early age, Middlesbrough youngsters actually work with broom handles attached to plastic discs!

The logic here is that by the time they reach the age of 15 or 16 and start working with weights, their technique will help them to progress quicker.

At 15, the Middlesbrough youngsters will tend to start with resistance machines rather than free weights.

Explore our virtual gym

This is because free weights involve moving the joints in all directions and along different planes.

Resistance machines on the other hand are more restricted because they target one set of muscle groups at a time, making them easier to control and safer.

Before you consider getting into the gym, remember to seek guidance on what is best for you and ALWAYS exercise under the strict supervision of an expert.

So, I'm 15-years-old (I'll be 16 in June), and I want an amazing torso area. I am 115 lbs., 5'6 1/2''. Whatever I seem to eat, I don't seem to gain any weight. I would like to be around 125-130 lbs., only because I look a little jaunt (or gaunt?? sp.) right now. I want to know how to get those amazing six-packs. My mother goes to the gym, and she's lost 30 lbs., and she said that it would be really easy for me to get a six-pack because I don't have any weight to lose, I can just gain muscle.

I know way too much about ab exercises. . .

If I were you I'd head to the bookstore and look up a book on it. That way you can see pictures of various exercises you can do. The thing is it's not just sit ups (which aren't that great, do crunches instead). In order to get a 6 pack you need to work various parts of your abdominal muscles (sides, top, bottom, etc.) Be sure to give attention to all areas of the abs. I do about 9-12 different exercises for my abs alone when I go workout at the gym. Soooo go get a book and read carefully, the pictures will definitely help so you understand how to do each exercises (if I tried to explain them on here I can almost guarantee you'll just sit there and go huh and be confused). It will be easier for you to get a 6 pack if you are slender with barely any body fat. You'll notice a difference within a few weeks if you keep to a good routine, just be sure to change up the routine whenever you go. If you never push past your limits and get a little sore you'll reach a plateau 'cause your body will get used to that particular workout. Keep in mind that cardio is awesome for your heart and will help your muscles (treadmill or elliptical are good for this).

Also keep in mind to only work out your abs for a maximum of 3 time a week. You need to let your muscles rest. Doing it every day wont get you much further at all.

I've never really been a fan of free weights. I use machines mostly. Maybe it's bad for teens to work out, because the bones are not too strong yet to support heavy weights?

I tried doing cardio for a few months. I'm 20, so my "optimal heart rate" should be 160 when doing cardio. I would reach 160, then 170, with no effort and no sweat. At 175 I still wasn't tired, and I was afraid that my heart would explode or something. From then on I decided not to do cardio anymore.

Does this mean that my heart is really healthy, if I can reach 170 with no problems at all?

The optimal heart rate refers to the minimun heart rate ull need to start burning fat.

Im 17 and reach 190-200 easy.

But then again i do cross country alot and I do push myself.

ur on the wrong forum.

this isnt the wrong forum

--------------------------------------------

situps are fine. do alot and a variety of them. like crunches for example. make sure to do them correctly, and you'll know when you feel the burn. but dont let the burn stop you from going on, you gotta exceed that limit and thats where you'll start working something. just tell yourself..."the pain is short, and i wont die" and go until you really cant no more

yes it is. most of the advice in this topic sucks.

u wont get amazing abs by doing a lot of crunches. go to a bodybuilding forum and go to the gym.

u wont get more muscles when u train with more repetitions, u have to increase the weight u lift, so this goes for crunches too. hold a weight on ur front when u crunch.

ok well heres some advice that you can trust. i am 15 and about 5'7''. (sound familiar right?) before i started working out over the summer i think i was exactly where you are now. i weighed around 120, now i weigh 130.

the last time i had a six pack was about 2 months ago. i've had an eight pack ever since. i dont drink soda, and i mostly drink water; and gatorade every once in a while. the key to abs is low body fat. everyone has abs, its whether they show or not. someone can have stronger abs than you, but if you have a lower body fat percentage, your abs will look better.

not everyone can have a six pack. genetics play a large role in your body composition (obviously). i've seen my fair share of fitness magazine models who's abs are worse than mine.

don't over-work your abs. they are just like any other muscle, and will need time to rest.

nice abs take time and dedication. my abs took about 3 months to form a six pack. you don't need to go on a bodybuilding forum. all you need to do is lose body fat and work your abs. try to stay away from high rep crunches or sit-ups. those exercises are effective, but are also highly over-rated. try to incorporate some ab workouts using an exercise ball or anything else that takes stress off your lower back.

i myself workout four days a week. i only do abs once/twice a week. i am able to maintain my eight pack quite easily. i don't lift anything heavier than myself. i jump rope 4 times a week. its a great exercise, i would recommend it to anyone.

if you have any questions, feel free to ask. i have been in and out-grown your shoes :cool:

You first need to do a bulking phase to fill out your arms back and chest-

eating atleast 3000- 40000 cals of GOOD QUALITY food a day, you'll need to ingest about 1 gram of protein per KG of your body's weight, chicken, eggs, steak, tuna, milk,and nuts are all great sources of protein, if your frame is slight then you need to eat every 2 to 3 hours if possible, ingesting between 25-30 grams of protein at a time NO MORE though, as the body can only absorb this much, anything else is a waste really and can put a strain on the liver over a long period of time.

You'l want to be lifting heavy weights but not too heavy- so that you can complete atleast 3 sets of reps in a given excercise but so that you fail on the 8th and final rep, resting between one and 2 minutes between sets, recent studies have shown that resting for longer periods can increase gains.

As for the "cutting" phase, I don't know, I'm also trying to get buff ready for summer so I can show off my newly gained muscles, but unfortunatly 7 months of intense bulking has left me with quite a bit of extra fat covering my muscles, at the moment I'm doing many reps with a lower weight and cutting carbs out of my diet, limiting my cal intake to 1600 (which mostly come from proteins), with a bit of cardio thrown in for good measure, it seems to be working.....

I'll let you know in about 3 months time.

eating atleast 3000- 40000 cals of GOOD QUALITY food a day, you'll need to ingest about 1 gram of protein per KG of your body's weight, chicken, eggs, steak, tuna, milk,and nuts are all great sources of protein, if your frame is slight then you need to eat every 2 to 3 hours if possible, ingesting between 25-30 grams of protein at a time NO MORE though, as the body can only absorb this much, anything else is a waste really and can put a strain on the liver over a long period of time.

You'l want to be lifting heavy weights but not too heavy- so that you can complete atleast 3 sets of reps in a given excercise but so that you fail on the 8th and final rep, resting between one and 2 minutes between sets, recent studies have shown that resting for longer periods can increase gains.

As for the "cutting" phase, I don't know, I'm also trying to get buff ready for summer so I can show off my newly gained muscles, but unfortunatly 7 months of intense bulking has left me with quite a bit of extra fat covering my muscles, at the moment I'm doing many reps with a lower weight and cutting carbs out of my diet, limiting my cal intake to 1600 (which mostly come from proteins), with a bit of cardio thrown in for good measure, it seems to be working.....

REx dont tell him this stuff. Hes too young to be worried about this.

He shouldnt even touch the weights in a gym until he is at last 17-18+

Im 15 and I do a bit of weight lifting at home, It's ok to do weightlifting as long as you know the rules ;)

Besides, they have weight lifting classes in middle and high school for kids to lose weight or play in sports or just to get a good looking body for the looks. :D

Not only do you have to be doigng it the right way but you have to do light weights and high reps.

Its better not do do any of that and just play sports.

17-18? your pulling this shit out of your ass.. you dont even know what your talking about..you should be eating a minimum of 1g protein per pound.. not kilogram.. if you really gained "that much" muscle in 7 months you wouldnt be stupid enough to eat only 1600 calories.. that would put your body in a bad position with such little calories... doing many reps with lower weight? you gotta be kidding me.. im guessing your one of those people who actually believe that you can tone your muscles with lower weight.. it doesnt work like that... not trying to sound like a jerk.. but dont act like you know everything when half the advice your giving is bad.

blimey gettin abs is so much effort.

im too lazy, cant i buy one of them electric belt things that shocks the muscles lol :shifty:

17-18? your pulling this shit out of your ass.. you dont even know what your talking about..you should be eating a minimum of 1g protein per pound.. not kilogram.. if you really gained "that much" muscle in 7 months you wouldnt be stupid enough to eat only 1600 calories.. that would put your body in a bad position with such little calories... doing many reps with lower weight? you gotta be kidding me.. im guessing your one of those people who actually believe that you can tone your muscles with lower weight.. it doesnt work like that... not trying to sound like a jerk.. but dont act like you know everything when half the advice your giving is bad.

Hey buddy ive researched htis alot. I know exactly what im talking about.

Theres more to lifting than lifting heavy.

If you want strength thanlift between 8-10

If you want size/tones mucles lift 12-15

The trick is to tire out your muscles. This can be done in two ways. By doing 12-15 reps your using your muscle more thus tearing more muscle.

it seems like you know nothing buddy. Its NOT good to work out with heavy weights umtil youve reached the end of puberty more or less.

Okay, I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this was addressed but the first few posts made me comment.

Everyone has decent abs and those who are even moderately active(Think just walking around lots, going up and down stairs, etc...) have great abs. Only the very, very lazy don't have decent ab muscles. You use your abs with pretty much every activity you do, standing, walking, sitting, etc... They are constantly worked and therefore are in pritty good condition.

Having said that, the way to get abs is not to spend all that time on crunches or those stupid vibrating machines, it is by losing weight. Targeted fat loss is a myth and therefore you need to lose weight in general. In order for all those abs to show you need a low bodyfat percentage, which is not healthy for growing teens. I would stick to having a flat stomache right now and not getting super defined abs because that would mean eating a lot less than your teenage body needs right now.

I would say 5% of teens with ripped abs know what they are doing and are most likely getting help with their diet from a pro because they are athletes. About 20%(most likely boys) are just scrawny because they are going through that growth spurt and the other 75% are malnourished or have an eating disorder. You need lots of good quality fats, hell all the macronutrients in the right amounts, to grow up healthy.

Okay, I didn't read the whole thread so forgive me if this was addressed but the first few posts made me comment.

Everyone has decent abs and those who are even moderately active(Think just walking around lots, going up and down stairs, etc...) have great abs. Only the very, very lazy don't have decent ab muscles. You use your abs with pretty much every activity you do, standing, walking, sitting, etc... They are constantly worked and therefore are in pritty good condition.

Having said that, the way to get abs is not to spend all that time on crunches or those stupid vibrating machines, it is by losing weight. Targeted fat loss is a myth and therefore you need to lose weight in general. In order for all those abs to show you need a low bodyfat percentage, which is not healthy for growing teens. I would stick to having a flat stomache right now and not getting super defined abs because that would mean eating a lot less than your teenage body needs right now.

I would say 5% of teens with ripped abs know what they are doing and are most likely getting help with their diet from a pro because they are athletes. About 20%(most likely boys) are just scrawny because they are going through that growth spurt and the other 75% are malnourished or have an eating disorder. You need lots of good quality fats, hell all the macronutrients in the right amounts, to grow up healthy.

i have no idea where you are getting your percentages from. you cannot simply place kids with abs into categories (negative ones at that). i have my fair share of scrawny friends that don't have abs. having low body fat doesn't make a person unhealthy. for the most part, teenagers that are dedicated enough to get abs know what they are doing. if you don't, you simply won't get the ideal abs you want.

i have gained my abs the natural way, through exercise and proper diet. i never have and never will take any kind of supplement other than a MV to enhance my physical abilities. i dont know any teens that are "most likely getting their diet from a pro because they are athletes." not all pro athletes have six pick abs.

quite frankly, i don't know why so many people are commenting. not to be a jerk, but are all of you teenagers with sculpted abs? false information, though it is common on all forums, can lead many in the wrong direction.

try and work all your body not just abs. For me hitting abs 3 times a week is best. 3 different routines with different exercises. Some weighted some not. Repeat the routines the next week and try and add reps or weight. i stick to between 5 - 20 reps. usually 2 or 3 exercises, 3 sets on each. when you cant add more weight or reps use different exercises / different exercise order or maybe reduce frequency and build up again. Or do the exercises in a circuit fashion.

Yeh circuit training is intense. It burns a lot of fat as well as gaining muscle.

Just make sure you know what your doing.