Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chickcorea

cortisone shots

can a derm fit you in within a day after calling them for this procedure, or does it take months on end like it does for an appointment?

I got mine immediately on the day I called, but it depends on the derm.

Word of caution: it is possible to have a huge dent/hole in your face for months where the injection took place. Some say it depends on a lot of factors like dilution and your skin, but it's always possible. PM me for a pic if you are curious!

how often does this indenting type of scar happen? i know it can happen, but not sure how often. do cortisone shots work for nodules too? (i'm not certain wtf this is)

Whoa! Whoa!

Indents from cortizone injections?!

They go away right?

If you were to weigh the cyst and the cortizone which would be a happier outcome?

(I had my first few injections a month ago and I don't have much to base them off of, because they got stuck in my first few cysts...)

And I'm on accutane, so I'm assuming that the indents take more than a million years to go away.

Man. This sucks.

BTW, I'm currently just waiting around until my next appointment, which comes every two weeks because of the 'tane. So I'm not much help, sorry :(

I've read a lot of posts where this atrophy occurred. Here's my story:

Had a horrible reoccurring zit right between my eyes that would go away and then always come back. It had been going on in this every couple of months cycle for a year. I was fed up. Got the injection, and was ecstatic that it completely flattened and went away. Come a week or two later, it started caving in. It looked like I had a hole in my face. I could hardly deal with it!!!!

I've read that they almost ALWAYS fill in eventually, but it may take up to a year. I got my shot in early December, and it's probably about 80%+ filled in. I've heard that you have to ask if they're using a diluted form of cortisone. However, the problem is that they have to get a dose that will kill the cyst, while not giving too much to cause the dent. It's really almost impossible to know for sure.

I personally think the shot is worth it for me only because this cyst came back over and over again. Otherwise, I'd say I would stick it out with the cyst. You can always try it out, and then decide for yourself.

Rarely, they will never fill in, especially if you're older, your collagen production has slowed down.

that's what seems to be happening with this pimple. it initially became a huge bastard about 3 weeks ago, came to multiple white heads and popped on its own. it never really shrunk to skin level, stayed red, but didn't hurt. not a clogged pore right next to it is springing up, and so is this one. this new clogged pore has a whitehead but the old pimple doesn't, lending credence that it is actually a cyst (or nodule). it's pretty sick.

this is the second time it's become really inflamed, and i've had it for about a month. should this warrant a cortisone shot? also, if this is a nodule, would cortisone shots work on it as well?

After what happened to me, it doesn't sound like I'd do it, just because I'd rather have a bad zit thing for a couple of months than a huge dent that makes people wonder what's wrong with you for months upon months. If it is a nodule, there's a good chance it would work on it, too. Pretty much any inflammation can be calmed by cortisone (they even use it in arthritis patients). I don't want to discourage you in case it would work, but if you're going to give it a go, do the following:

-ask the derm to make sure it is diluted

-tell the derm you are worried about atrophy and if they could be careful to minimize this

-use glycolic acid or retin-A to repair collagen IF a dent occurs

It's really a gamble, at least in my opinion. Some people never get a dent, others do. I don't think you're going to have a problem with the cortisone working on whatever you have. I swear that the thing that led to a dent was attached to my skull, and there was no sign of a zit a day later.

To the person who asked what's worse, the cyst or the dent from the injection, I say the cyst is worse. I've had between 20-30 injections over the years and never had a dent except one time...a cyst I had on my cheek was persistent and was injected once a month over a period of 6 months. It left a tiny dent for about 1-2 months and filled out on its own. After it filled in, it's like nothing ever happened there. If anyone wants to stare, I'd rather them stare at a tiny dent rather than a flaming, painful cyst.

Great, now I don't know what to do...I have a cyst in the early stages on my cheek. It is straight over top a red mark from a previous cyst that I had and made the HUGE mistake of popping. Anyways, this one

is far beneath the surface, not forming into a head and I cannot really feel too much of a bump or pain

when I touch it, but I can feel the beginning pain in that area when I squint.

I have been applying BP twice daily, taking Ibuprofen twice daily and also applying Dalacin T (clindamycin phosphate) to it once daily. I still have this solution from when before I started Dan's regimen. I am only using it on the beginnings of this cyst. Dalacin T contains a topical antibiotic which attacks and stops the growth of the bacteria, thought it definitely cannot hurt.

I don't want a dent, I already made the mistake of popping past cysts that came to a head and they broke open and hurt and bled and bled. Not to mention that they left a nice red mark that is just now starting to fade 6months later.

If it really begins to bump out and get red I may go for the shot and talk to the Derm and ask if they have

experience with the injection and what the risks are of a dent.

What do you all think I should do???

Thanks

I guess a lot depends on your skin and the derm. If you don't have a HUGE problem with the idea of the dent, I'd go for it. Really, the worst that usually happens is that you have a dent that is practically guaranteed to fill in within 6 months or so. It wouldn't have been so bad for me if it weren't for where it was on my face. I still think it was worth the shot I took, too bad I got screwed.

Get the shot. I've had many many injections and never had a problem. I've even had one persistent cyst injected multiple times over a period of 3 months without incident. Cortisone shots can really prevent scarring becasue it will reduce the inflammation. The longer you have something on your face that is inflamed, the higher the chances of scarring. Good luck

I got my injection yesterday morning and by last night, it was completely flat. Thank god because I had a huge job interview today.

I called my derm office today to get an appt for a cortisone injection. Unfortunately, my derm is on vaca until Mon and no other docs are in the office today. The nurse that answered the phone said"is it just a pimple" I replied " it's never JUST a pimple." and hung up. I decided to treat it myself, given how I was treated my that office. I have been using ice when I can, keeping free from makeup as best my schedule allows. I have decided I will completely blow the weekend if I start to pick at my face. I have been applying neoporin generously as well, and it seems to be abit better than this morning. Thankfully, I have long enough hair to conceal this if I need too. An injection would have been the better way to go, I have many scars from previous cysts that absolutely should have been injected.

so i got my first two cortisone shots yesterday and was sooo scared...b/c having some stick a long needle in my face and the chance of getting a "dent" were not things i was looking forward to. anyways, before i got i asked my derm. how often people get "dents" and he told me that he had been giving tons of these shots for many years and had only had one girl who got a little one. he also uses very diluted stuff, so that was a relief. and as for them being painful...they are not, i mean you will feel a slight discomfurt as it goes in but other than that its nothing. the only thing that sucked about it was that while he was cleaning my skin w/ alcohol before he put the shot in..one of my cysts broke and started bleeding (just b/c the skin there was soo thin and messed up), so i have a scab there right now but its definantly better than having a cyst that will never go away. i would def. reccommend this shot to anyone who has a cyst that has been on their face for at least a couple monthes. one of the cysts that i got rid of had been there for 6 monthes and it feels amazing to no longer have it!

Oh god, I have like these injections every week... I hope that's not that cortizone shot. Because I have new pimples every week, she is somewhat obliged to inject some of the unriped ones. And I did notice a scar that formed into a keloid near my mouth. It is really small and would look like a scar on the far view but if you do touch it there is a small bump that I did notice. I thought it was a whitehead or comedone but then its like a small flesh. Not that freaky and disturbing since it's really small but still, if it came from that injection... Darn...

why does it seem like everyone who works at a dermotologists office (including the derm) seems like they have a huge pole up their ass about acne ?? like "oh it's not a big deal." yeah... EASY for you to say. dealing with acne is almost unbearable. every day i feel like crawling into bed and not getting out until my acne goes away. seriously. if i could just take a vacation during my accutane period, THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

why does it seem like everyone who works at a dermotologists office (including the derm) seems like they have a huge pole up their ass about acne ?? like "oh it's not a big deal." yeah... EASY for you to say. dealing with acne is almost unbearable. every day i feel like crawling into bed and not getting out until my acne goes away. seriously. if i could just take a vacation during my accutane period, THAT WOULD BE GREAT.

probably due to the fact tht they also see patients with skin cancer daily.

is cortisone the only steroid that can be injected ? i don't know if my derm uses cortisone. she just said it's a steroid diluted in water.

Oh god, I have like these injections every week... I hope that's not that cortizone shot. Because I have new pimples every week, she is somewhat obliged to inject some of the unriped ones. And I did notice a scar that formed into a keloid near my mouth. It is really small and would look like a scar on the far view but if you do touch it there is a small bump that I did notice. I thought it was a whitehead or comedone but then its like a small flesh. Not that freaky and disturbing since it's really small but still, if it came from that injection... Darn...

Dude! I have of a few of those same bump/scar things going on. But I know for sure that I never had them injected. They were before I gathered up enough courage to allow her to do it.

Omg! I have the same thing too! Is it on your upper lip? I thought it was like a coldsore or something but it turned out not to be. It was red at first, then like a whole layer of hardened skin came off 2 weeks later and now I've had this little red bump type of thing for about 1 1/2 months. What are these things and how do you get rid of it? Mine is not from an injection either.

Okay so i never got a zit or cyst this big in my life! i am only 20 years old but it was painful and just a huge bump on my chin! HECK NO. I decided to pop it which was a bad decision it only leaked watery stuff and lots of blood. So I was told by the minor injury dr that it's worse to pick at it I was put on antibiotics. they reacted badly so I stopped the head was so deep I tried everything from icing twice a day for 15 mins to putting a warm compress to drying it out. It reduced in size but slightly nothing barley. I finally decided to try this cortisone shot and let me tell you I got it done yesterday at 9 AM and 24 hours later it's just a hard scab and I heard it takes about 48 hours to completley heal but it's amazing how well they work! I am in AWE! I put some benzoyl to finish drying it up. It's so worth it so what I get a little dent on my chin put some makeup on it. The only fear I have right now is that it will come back! But I doubt it this thing seems gone forever! worth it take my advice. but then again everyone reacts differently so best of luck!

Anyone know the process for flushing out steroid with saline?

I had 5fu and steroid injected into scar tissue,then 8 days later

I developed a dent and darkening! Looks horrible I want to know the

process to fix this or flush this, any input here is helpful.It is right above my lip.