Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi Guys,

Well, i'm not happy. It seems that with each passing month my acne is returning. Of course, nowhere close to what it was before, but I want this over with so that I can start my scar revision treatments. I would say it's about 10 months since I finished the accutane. But, over the holidays the evil monster started to creep back. I'm not really sure what I should do at this point.

I'm doing a total body cleanse for the next 15 days, i'm taking digestive enzymes, evening primrose oil, vitamin B complex, I was even taking vitamin D for a while but stopped cuz I was getting really Jittery. So, what do I do now? If I go back to my derm she will give me oral contraceptive bullshit pills and topicals. What do I do?

Should I just do the ALA PDT? I'm hearing not good things on the board from people that have gone through with it. It's pricey, but if there's hope of an improvement i'd do it. Or, should I do the accutane again? What the heck should I do.

Right now I have 1 on my chin, and 2 on each cheek with some small ones on the forehead. It seems that they just pop up over night or within hours. It's so strange. But, some come to a head which never would happen before. Others stay as sore bumps under the skin that just go away. I'm starting to see red hyperpigmentation so i'm scared i'll start scarring again. I don't know what to do!!!

Please help:

Desperately seeking to be optimistic!

Sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I've been reading your post for a long time, I know you've had a rough road. Best wishes!

Maybe another round of accutane would be best, followed by Nothing but a simple med-free regimin. I know you were put on maintenance of retin-a or something right? When your acne started to return, your skin calmed once you quit, no? It's sometimes hard to remember who's who here, there are so many.

I was put on topicals right away too, and started breaking out. I have stopped everything cept for spiro and diane, and my skin is starting to calm down. It was terribly oily, and bumpy, and breaking out, and red during differin, RAM,and vitanim A acid.

Let us know what you decide. I am going to keep up with the spiro, for a while, but if this fails, I am going to ask for more tane. But so far, the spiro is starting to work at only 50mg a day right now. I think it's just those damn topicals that are sometimes the culprit.

I am not on anything right now. I started retin a after the accutane and that started breaking me out. i haven't tried anything other than proactiv since tane. but now, my skin is looking not so good again. i don't know what to do. :(

I just wanted to mention that I read a post, and I can't locate it right now, that states that accutane is an anti-androgen. This is incredible. All that crap that they don't know how it works, they do know how it works. Supposedly accutane binds to the androgen receptor sites while also decreasing the gland mass. This is incredible. So, if androgens are the root of all acne. That is, the receptor oversensitivity or an overproduction of hormones how do we block the receptor site in a natural way. I've read that saw palmetto helps with some signs of androgen sensitivity in men, i.e baldness, but how would it work in women?

hi there! sorry to hear about your experience. I think i am in much the same boat. i have only been off tane weeks and i'm getting BUMPY skin already. so fed up as i also want to seek treatment for some rolling scars i have. acne sucks :(

Hey GO, I know this is sorta stupid to be saying on my behalf... but maybe ur trying too hard to be clear that its just making it worse. In the last couple of weeks i've been getting incremental breakouts ... some mornings i have woken up with acne.. others like this morning i've woken up with none. I dont think supplements are going to help in all honesty... BEST way to get ur homones clear is to relax... forget about acne and have fun in life. I'm pretty sure u guys are still in winter right? Winter everyone gets acne... vitamin D is low (aka sunlight to the skin) and the cold factor makes ur skin more pale and acne spots more visable.

I'm in summer at the moment still getting the occasional EXPECTED spot and i'm like meh watever... Before tane i remember my life... post tane i know my life now and its AWSOME. Just cant let a few spots spoil it.

meh. it's coming back and i will prevail. i will laser these glands out of my face if i have to. i am standing up to this hormonal bullshit. you know all those years of drinking diet soda with aspartame, or preserved prepackaged foods or watever. it's all brought me to this point. the cruel science behind our demise will not bring me down. companies want to sell product without ever knowing what it will do to people in the long run. i can't believe this is still happening to me.

I say go visit your derm. I just had a follow up appointment with my dermatologist this week, two months after finishing my course, and she was adamant that I make an appointment immediately if my acne started to return.

wow see with my derm.. he said this is ur last appointment.. u should finish in about 3 months time, goodluck if it returns u probably wont need to come back for about a year if at all.

I was like woah .. should i do anything post tane, he said nup just get sunlight and live a normal life!

I went back to my derm 5 months ago when I had an occasional flare up. She put me on retin A and sent me on my way. I'm taking this into my own hands even if I have to dish out 1000 bucks to laser my face. These glands are going down. Tomorrow i'm making my apt for the ALA, we'll see how that goes.

good luck then -let us know how it goes i am thinkin i may need another round of tane but i'm hanging off to see how it goes.

best wishes :)

I feel for you girl....I am in the same exact postition as you. I am going to the derm. on the 20th and I am gonna push for Tane again...Its better to be safe than sorry. If I can get on a second course I know I'll be able to kill of the glands to keep acne away.

I went back to my derm 5 months ago when I had an occasional flare up. She put me on retin A and sent me on my way.

Why aren't you still on Retin-A?

I agree strongly with Craigems. If I've learned anything from all my skin problems over the years, it's to try and not take it too seriously. Last year I was taking it VERY seriously and freaking out over my blemishes. Started going to tanning salons, using pro-activ and other weird products and I started getting the worst acne of my life. My back was ridiculously bad. It got so bad in fact that I had to take accutane. Now that I'm done with the accutane, I won't be repeating my mistakes. Scrubbing the hell out of my skin and using topicals obviously wasn't helping me, it was making things worse. Maybe I just have sensitive skin, I don't really know. All I know is that when I was obsessing about making my skin look good, it got worse than ever. Now I have to deal with horrible scarring and red marks. But maybe that's good, I'll see them and it'll remind me not to obsess about my skin again. So I'll wash my skin when it needs to be washed and not get crazy if I have a pimple or two. Hopefully the scarring and red marks will get better with time, but I'm not gonna obsess about that it either. I'll deal with it in acouple months if it still needs to be dealt with. But from what I've seen on message boards is that after an accutane treatment most people go back into their habits of washing their face/body too much, using all these topicals and treatments and eventually their acne just comes back. I don't want that to happen to me.

Hi Guys,

So I just called my derm and was lucky enough to get an appointment. I have to say one thing, my derm is pretty awesome about seeing me. I'm lucky that I could have gotten an appointment so quickly. The secretary was very very nice. She asked me, "You went on accutane didn't you?" And I said, "Yes and it's back!!!" And she was really sympathetic and then I said, "The nightmare continues." She then said, "Ok, you come in and we'll get on it right away don't worry." So, i'm going tomorrow to see what she says. If she recommends accutane, I'm going to have to think about it. I think my acne is very hormonal and if the accutane didn't work once why would it work the second time? I think I may try the ALA before going on accutane again.

Wish me luck :pray:

I think you need to ask your doc to test your hormones and perhaps consider spironolactone. Lasers are only temporary and really expensive. Why not try to get on something that will possibly keep your acne in check for years to come?

My mom has been on spiro for the last 15 yrs, and her acne is pretty much nonexistent.

Just a suggestion.

I would take the accutane second time round... Hormonal or not... the more times on accutane you go the more your oil secretion glands should shrink even more.

I would recommend tane for a second time if acne is bothering you for soo long. I'm not thinking its too hormonal because, what about those 7months u were clear? no