Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Uruk

Damn.... don't know how to cope

My acne was bad. I don't think there is a place on my body where I never had acne. Chest, back and face used to be covered in acne, until two years ago. I went on a holiday to the beach, and, even though I felt embarassed, sunbathed for three weeks in a row. The acne was gone and my skin looked perfect. I had scarring on the shoulderblades (I think there are about 40 scars there) but hey, 'big deal', I thought.

I have been lucky enough not to have (noticable) scarring on the face. But lately I took a closer look at my chest and back (which are not so tanned anymore) and realised that the scarring there is horrible: there are tons of bigger and smaller raised, white scars. Even though my face looks okay, I can't help but feeling depressed: whenever I see skin of other people exposed in the chest/shoulder/back area I MUST look at it to check if it has any scarring. I feel disabled; I can't take my shirt off in front of other people, and the realisation that that will never change (I don't think excision will help/is even possible) makes me feel like shit. The acne was bad, but at least I had some hope that it would one day have disappeared.

Sigh.... how do you people cope?

I can't take my shirt of infront of other people too. Altough I work out and i'd say my body is looking good, acne stops me from showing it to others, and as you said...it's depressing. How does one cope? I don't know. I admit, I don't cope...if my face looks bad then i'll get depressed and down then not go out and do things like an 18 year old male should do. *Sigh*

My acne was bad. I don't think there is a place on my body where I never had acne. Chest, back and face used to be covered in acne, until two years ago. I went on a holiday to the beach, and, even though I felt embarassed, sunbathed for three weeks in a row. The acne was gone and my skin looked perfect. I had scarring on the shoulderblades (I think there are about 40 scars there) but hey, 'big deal', I thought.

I have been lucky enough not to have (noticable) scarring on the face. But lately I took a closer look at my chest and back (which are not so tanned anymore) and realised that the scarring there is horrible: there are tons of bigger and smaller raised, white scars. Even though my face looks okay, I can't help but feeling depressed: whenever I see skin of other people exposed in the chest/shoulder/back area I MUST look at it to check if it has any scarring. I feel disabled; I can't take my shirt off in front of other people, and the realisation that that will never change (I don't think excision will help/is even possible) makes me feel like shit. The acne was bad, but at least I had some hope that it would one day have disappeared.

Sigh.... how do you people cope?

I'm really sorry to hear how you're feeling. I know it can be really hard.

Can I ask, do you live in a location with four seasons, and if so, does it seem to worsen during one of them?

It is interesting how the sun can help some people clear (like you), or can have an opposite effect for others.

Sometimes getting even just a bit of regular sun can be helpful for the skin. Do you think you get enough?

It sounds like your acne is in remission or has cleared for the most part. If so, that's one really positive thing, because at least there will be no additional scarring and one thing less to deal with. I can only imagine it must be difficult for you feeling disabled due to this. I know that's how it can feel sometimes.

Lately my skin has been quite broken out and irritated. It naturally affects how I feel to a degree for sure.

How do I cope... that's a good question. I think I try to remind myself it can get better, and continue to have hope that one day, hopefully sooner rather than later, it will be cleared. For me it's important to try to learn what may be causing it, and work from there, but in the meantime, I also think taking steps to just ensure a good overall health is important.

I think taking the time to work on myself as a person, to set little goals also, can help. And thinking of ways to help others.

It makes a difference in their lives, certainly helps to take the focus off of ourselves and also offers a sense of purpose that is beyond skin deep.

Still, it is not easy I know.

It can be really hard, and I hope somehow you can find something that may be able to help you feel better. Hang in there.

if your scarring looks particularly bad to you right now because you aren't tan at the moment, what about using one of those self-tanning lotions. That might camoflauge the scarring enough maybe you won't worry so much how it looks.

Just a thought.