Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dragon

proactiv...does it work???

I just wanted to know if anyone else is using PROACTIV? Did it work for you or didn't it?

I have been using it for about 1.5 months and my face seems worse than before. Does anyone else had the same experience or different? Please let me know. :(

Thanks

I know for some people it does work, but I tried it twice, several years apart, and both times my face ended up in worse condition.

That grainy cleanser is just too rough, imo.

I came on this forum right after starting proactiv. I quit after a week. My skin is WAY too sensitive, it trashed my skin. I got some huge zits after starting it, the likes of which I haven't seen for 15 years. Yikes!! Its been about two weeks since starting to cure it, and I'm almost clear! I stopped wearing all makeup. (except for two times a week I had to). I switched to cetaphil mild cleanser and moisturizer. I use AHA(not sure if its doing anything). I spot treat with the Proactiv BP, though. It's pretty mild. I'm on day three of B5, (started it because of my oily skin and big pores). Good luck to you!!! :)

Although I was still picking a lot when I was on Proactiv, I fucking do NOT like it. It's expensive as FUCK, compared to Dan's regimen, which, in my opinion, works much better.

I've known people who had success with it, but there are many, many people on this board who did not.

BP is not the answer for everyone.

What sort of acne do you have?

Q

proactive is the biggest pile of shit i have ever seen. those commercials are such bullshit. never by anything from an infomercial.

I have no idea what kind of acne I have.

Its not severe I was just looking for a way to keep pimples from forming. Or at least reduce occurances. So I started with proactiv. BUT it only made my skin worse. So I am switching to another 3 step treatment but it will be Salicylic acid based treatment instead of BP based. Hopefully that will improve my skin.

In the meantime I am using a Biore unclogging scrub twice a day and I am going to grab some cleaning pads to use throughout the day because my face tends to be oily and I go workout almost daily. Listed below are the ingredients to the new system that I will be using, any suggestions are always well appreciated.

P.S- In the short time I have been on this site I have learned alot thanks everybody.

WASH

Active ingredient:

Salicylic acid 2.0%

Inactive ingredients:

Cayaponia tayuya root extract, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel extract, polyethylene, schukuhria pinnata (canchalagua) extract, silica, sodium bicarbonate, sodium cocoyl isethionate, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, water, xanthum gum.

LOTION

Active ingredient:

Salicylic acid 0.7%

Inactive ingredients:

Aloe barbadensis (aloe vera) leaf juice, caprylic/capric triglyceride, cayaponia tayuya root extract, citrus aurantium dulcis (orange) peel extract, epilobium angustifolium (willowherb) extract, glyceryl stearate, helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed extract, helichrysum angustifolium flower extract, hydroxypropyl starch phosphate, lavandula angustifolia (lavender) flower extract, montmorillonite, panthenol, retinyl palmitate, schukuhria pinnata (canchalagua) extract, sodium ascorbyl phosphate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium hydroxymethylglycinate, sodium lauroyl lactylate, sodium stearoyl lactylate, tocopherol acetate, water.

TONER

Water, sodium chlorite, sodium bicarbonate, lauryl glucoside, citrus grandis (grapefruit) seed extract.

I used ProActive from July 2000 to September of 2002. It worked great for almost two years, then mysteriously lost its effectiveness.

i used proactiv for one month about a year ago. i found that it made my face worse but then started to get a little bit better. i was still looking into options because i was breaking out still, and thats when i found acne.org. i quickly returned proactiv for my money back and got dan's BP gel.

I used it from 2000 to early 2005. It worked great for the first year or so (I only had mild acne). It worsened, so I went on BCP's and stayed on the Proactiv, and stayed clear for a few more years. I got to the point where I didn't even need it in the winter anymore (I used to only break out in the summer) .I went almost a year without pimples, before I develpoed a horrible case of moderare to severe last year. The Proactiv just didn't cut it anymore. I gave it up in the early spring of 2005....

Everyone knows P.Diddy (a man who spends millions every month) would not buy a 30 dollar bottle of proactive to stay clear.

Guest funky_monkey

Everyone knows P.Diddy (a man who spends millions every month) would not buy a 30 dollar bottle of proactive to stay clear.

bah...... I doubt he has had a spot in his life. Some people say anything for money.

I used proactiv for about 7 years. The most it did was make my moderate acne mild at times. It sure didn't help at all during that time of the month though!!

i started using proactive almost 3 months ago and it has helped clear my skin and really improved the red marks and the texture. it did get worse b4 it started getting better though.

proactiv is the only thing I've tried that works to clear my skin 100%. The downsides - the smell (its way too fragaranced), the price, and after using it for 4 months I got immune, had to stop for a few weeks (which meant big breakouts), but worked when I started it up again for 4 more months.. the club you have to join is a hassle because sometimes I dont want to keep getting it shipped to me. their customer service isnt very good - they always advertise products, even though your reason for calling is to cancel membership.. and I told them I got immune to it, and they said they'd "never heard of such a thing". yeah right.

the only thing I liked was the results. oh well. maybe i'll try the target rip off.

well, i can only speak for myself and my type of skin. i am a 24 year old african american female with the typical combo skin, the t-zone. i have moderate acne and have had it since i was about 12 or 13. i tried proactiv back in the day when they just had judith light reppin the product. i didn't want to buy it though until i saw a black face in the testimonial. i do this because the make-up of african american skin is a bit different than our caucasian brothas and sistas, therefore our skin and systems tend to react a bit differently, especially since most testing subjects for fda approved medications and other medical study groups are composed of all white subjects (this is not propaganda folks! i wish it were. but i live in atlanta and most of the derms wouldn't perform microdermabrasion or laser resurfacing on me and my sis because they hadn't tested on black skin. can you believe that?!).

so when i saw the black chick's before and after photos, i called in. sis and tried it out when we were like 16. it worked... for the first 5 months. didn't get totally clear, but it was a REALLY significant difference. all of a sudden it just stopped. not like gradually stopped. like one morning we woke up and were BOTH covered in whiteheads and cysts. couldn't believe it. we stopped using it. i discovered, like many of you probably have, that most topical treatments have a period of effectiveness until your skin develops a resistance to it, and then "rebounds." meaning, onslaught of acne.

we tried it periodically throughout the years, just holding out the hope that it would work longer than the first time. about two years ago, i even tried the extra strength formula. no difference. so i gave up on proactiv. if it works for you PRAISE GOD! i wouldn't wish acne on anyone. not even my enemies, especially in adulthood.

so, so far, i haven't found that miracle regimen. dan's plan dries the HELL out my skin and makes my face look like an old catcher's mit. i'm trying this stuff called "porever pure" to help with the hyperpigmentation. just started so i'll keep you posted. it makes your skin peel something serious, but it flattens existing blemishes.

anyhoo, that's my 50 cents (cause this post is kinda long, sorry!). best of luck.

so, so far, i haven't found that miracle regimen. dan's plan dries the HELL out my skin and makes my face look like an old catcher's mit. i'm trying this stuff called "porever pure" to help with the hyperpigmentation. just started so i'll keep you posted. it makes your skin peel something serious, but it flattens existing blemishes.

If that doesn't work out for you, here's something that might:

Green Cream

This has been my miracle. I'm Caucasian, and I don't know what their testing process was, but that site has a board where you can post product questions and a very nice and knowledgeable moderator. It's worth a look.

Good luck,

Q

I have tried it several times and was also in the so called "club" where they sent the shipments monthly--it never worked for me so I gave the remaining solutions to my nieces and nephews and my next shipment to a friend's son and they all tried it and their acne got worse! I was not impressed and for the price the really should let you know that it may not work for everyone instead of guaranteeing to work for everyone no matter how young or old or even how severe the acne may be!

I used Proactiv for about 5 years. I loved it at first. My face looked GOOD! But those results didn't last long. Proactiv helped to lessen my acne but I was rarely ever completely clear.

I just wanted to know if anyone else is using PROACTIV? Did it work for you or didn't it?

I have been using it for about 1.5 months and my face seems worse than before. Does anyone else had the same experience or different? Please let me know. :(

Thanks

Hey there.

Proactiv works BUT it doesnt.

It works in the sense of clearing up the acne.

BUT it DOESNT maintain acne prevention.

That's why it sells so well.

By the time the acne you have is cleared and your almost done with the regimen... Its time to get new acne and you tell yourself you need to buy more.

NO