Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Baby Blue

I find the older I get, the more I need moisturizer

Does anyone have a real problem with dry skin and acne? I do and it is miserable b/c I am not sure what to do and I have to be so careful about which moisturizer I put on my face. I also would love to use more acne fighting products, but it all just dries me out too much. THen I try normal stuff and I break out worse. Then I try moisturizing soaps and products and it clogs my pores and makes me greasy. I am kind of like a schizophrenic acne sufferer. ANybody else with this problem or suggestions? Thanks!

Guest Tenshi

Does anyone have a real problem with dry skin and acne? I do and it is miserable b/c I am not sure what to do and I have to be so careful about which moisturizer I put on my face. I also would love to use more acne fighting products, but it all just dries me out too much. THen I try normal stuff and I break out worse. Then I try moisturizing soaps and products and it clogs my pores and makes me greasy. I am kind of like a schizophrenic acne sufferer. ANybody else with this problem or suggestions? Thanks!

im not sure...maybe a gel type cleanser? cetaphil for oily skins or i use laure mercier one step cleanser right now...which is gel like but doesnt strip the oils off my face..maybe if u exfoliate and then just pat moisturiser on the dry parts.. i think u should just used PH balanced products and not moisturing ones..just leave that to the actual moisturiser..i usually pat "old lady cream" by sage around my eyes and lightly wherever its dry.. sometimes u dont even need to use moisturiser so often...but if ur dry, did u try cetaphil moisturiser? that is supposed to not clog pores..the lotion 1 is less greasy. i think maybe ur like me, im sensnitive to everything, it either leaves residue on my face or breaks me out...so something pure and simple that doesnt contain colourings, fragrance and is gel-like usually works well for me.. someone told me once acne products shouldnt be used for acne..weird eh? but u know ur skin better then anyone..i say gentle is the best key..

Oh, I SO recognize this impasse. That is exactly where I was for about 15 years ... going back and forth between dried-out skin and greasy skin. In fact, I have often had both: dehydrated, tired skin with oil on top of that ... PLUS acne ... ugh.

My current regimen has finally solved this problem for me (see signature for details). I do still have a tendency toward dehydrated skin, so I drink tons of green tea and water, and take my EFAs religiously. But I don't have the grease slick anymore, my bumps and brown spots are gone, my pores are almost clear, and I think my skin now looks 10 years younger than it did when I actually WAS 10 years younger.

If I can just figure out how to escape my monthly hormonal breakout, I think I'm officially acne-free -- though I'll probably have to use these topicals until I'm on my deathbed.

So anyway, I am pretty much convinced that Green Cream is God's gift to women (too bad we have to pay for it). If you have any questions about it, PM me, or click on the link in my sig.

Q

Yeah, it's this lovely cool-looking pale green color! The whole marketing pitch is that it's easier to tolerate than other retinol products, due to its formulation. One ingredient is cucumber extract, so I think that's the image they're trying to project.

Of course, if over-used, it will turn your skin a very un-cool-looking flaming red color.

Q

Guest Tenshi

can green cream be used while on accutane? or afterwards?

Well, I would say NO to using it while on accutane. But as a maintenance treatment to keep your skin clear after going off accutane, I think it would be awesome.

I have actually often wondered why derms don't prescribe topicals for people who are finishing a second course of accutane ... it seems obvious to me that if the acne came back once, it might very well come back again, and topicals seem like the obvious way to hold it at bay. Hmmm. :think:

Q

Guest Tenshi

Well, I would say NO to using it while on accutane. But as a maintenance treatment to keep your skin clear after going off accutane, I think it would be awesome.

I have actually often wondered why derms don't prescribe topicals for people who are finishing a second course of accutane ... it seems obvious to me that if the acne came back once, it might very well come back again, and topicals seem like the obvious way to hold it at bay. Hmmm. :think:

Q

ok, thanks.....ive heard of this stuff a while ago..i might get some for after i finish my course..

Yeah, it's this lovely cool-looking pale green color! The whole marketing pitch is that it's easier to tolerate than other retinol products, due to its formulation. One ingredient is cucumber extract, so I think that's the image they're trying to project.

Of course, if over-used, it will turn your skin a very un-cool-looking flaming red color.

Q

Thanks, one more question. When you put it on, does your face look green or does it pretty much soak in?

I was on Retin A for years and years and years before, loved what it did for my skin, other than the awful redness and peeling, lol. But it also seemed to make my oily skin more oily, don't know if that is actually what happened, or just my imagination.

Thanks, one more question. When you put it on, does your face look green or does it pretty much soak in?

I was on Retin A for years and years and years before, loved what it did for my skin, other than the awful redness and peeling, lol. But it also seemed to make my oily skin more oily, don't know if that is actually what happened, or just my imagination.

Oh, it just rubs in. You only use a tiny, pea-sized dab once a day, in the evening -- it's really strong stuff. Retinol is not stable in sunlight, so you don't use it during the day.

(EDIT: I was just over on the Green Cream board today, and apparently there is a new study out that contradicts what I just said about retinol & sunlight. There are people over there who use it twice a day. I tried putting some on today, but it makes my skin look shiny and I don't like wearing powder. I'm going to stick to just using it at night.)

LabGirl81 is on Retin A and she says the same thing you did about the oiliness -- now that her pores are all unblocked, the oil just pours out and she feels oilier than ever. She says Retin A doesn't affect the production of sebum, it's just that the oil becomes more visible.

Now, here is where I just throw up my hands. As of early December, when I started this regimen, I still had incredibly oily skin. I woke up with an oil slick on my face every morning and I had to blot every hour or so. See, I had this lovely combination of skin that was dehydrated AND oily; it looked tight and wrinkly, like dry skin, but it was greasy, like oily skin. Just lovely. ANYWAY ... I do not have EITHER condition any more, and I cannot explain why. Both the Green Cream and the Vitamin Cure websites say that their products can "shrink the sebaceous glands" or some such claim ... but when I ran that claim by LabGirl, who is a cosmetic chemist, she pretty much shook her head and said that Accutane is the only treatment she knows of that can actually shrink the sebaceous glands.

Well, I'm not a scientist, and I am not going to argue with that. But I can't argue with my results, either. My personal oil slick has simply disappeared, and I am thrilled about it.

Q

It is frustrating to breakout when you have dry skin. My skin is dry on the cheeks, chin and forehead. Have you tried Paula's Choice non-greasy moisturizer (costmeticcop.com)? It doesn't clog my pores but delivers enough moisture. Also you could try exfolliating with a soft washcloth or a microfiber face cloth very gently twice a week to get rid of the dry flakies. I find BHA's and AHA's too harsh on my dry skin especially in the winter. You could also try applying a mask with two or three dissolved crushed uncoated aspirin mixed with plain yogurt. The mild BHA in aspirin will clear pores and helps with redness and inflammation. I can use this mask without overdrying my skin.

Thanks ya'll! Is green cream prescription or otc? If it is otc, where do you get it? Thanks for info!

Green Cream is OTC. Check out the links in my sig: there's one for the Green Cream informational web site and one for Linda Sy, which is the site I buy from. There's a board on the Green Cream site (click on Community) with lots of good info from longtime users and a very helpful moderator.

For more info ... there are Green Cream threads in the OTC forum and the Red Marks forum. Also, I've kept a regimen log (there's a link for that in my sig).

good luck! feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Q