Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mr.Wiggles

Why is soy milk bad for you?

I drink soy milk, and I've always been under the impression its good for you. After reading some of these posts, it seems like soy milk is bad for you, even moreso than regular milk. Anyone care to explain?

Guest PokaHotAz

how is it bad for u? :think: its the only kind of milk i drink...

Firstly, it is oestrogenic. Secondly, it's an anti-nutrient (stops your body absorbing vits etc). Drink rice milk, goat milk, or organic cow's maybe.

more information please.

i drink alot of soy milk (i get it for free) cause im lactose and its a good source of calcium? and it tastes good, especially vanilla soy milk

Guest PokaHotAz
Firstly, it is oestrogenic. Secondly, it's an anti-nutrient (stops your body absorbing vits etc). Drink rice milk, goat milk, or organic cow's maybe.

do u have scientific proof of this? .. sorry but im just skeptical about this

i, as well cant drink regular milk...gives me the shits...and bad!!

so...what ur saying is... that drinking soy milk prevents ur body from absorbing vitamins?

I think i read it in www.askshelley.com. It's pretty much established nowadays that soy is bad for you, tho there was a period a few years ago when it was fashionable and considered healthy. Avoid at all costs i'd say.

I don't think soy milk actually contains calcium unless it's a brand that has it added artificially, in which case you might as well be taking supplements.

Guest PokaHotAz

god damnit~! well i guess i'll try skim milk... maybe i'll be ok

Non-organic cows are stuffed full of artificial hormones to make em produce more milk (antibiotics too). You drink the hormones in the milk, they fuck up your skin. After leaving home i drank non-organic for a year b4 i realised this, & during that year my skin was at its worst ever.

Hm, I cannot find any information except for one article that is claiming it is bad for you. Most other info I'm finding maintains that it is a good source of various nutrients and minerals.

Regardless, I would think you'd have to drink many glasses everyday in order to have any ill effects. But If anyone can post some more reputed sources for why soy milk might be bad news, please do. I've been doing vitamin B5 for the past 10 or 11 days but I've also been drinking soy milk, if it is true that soy milk has negative effects on vitamin absorption and enzyme production then it might be weakening the effects of the B5.

who pays attention to all this anyway? A year from now they will come out with something bad about organic milk. I drink soy milk and have found nothing wrong with it. If you are afraid of soy drink almond milk! YUM!

Guest Cubsfan

why not regular milk, why organic?! :think:

regular milk comes from farm animals that's been fed grains & garbage (literally), injected with growth hormones, drugged up, sprayed with chemicals and pesticides...this is unhealthy for the cow which leads to the cow producing unhealthy milk.

IPB Image

organic milk comes from animals that have been fed organic pastures (grass-fed)

with the absence of pesticides & anti-biotics, the milk should contain natural probiotics & live enzymes

with the absence of grain foods in the animals, organic milk should contain greater quality essential fatty acids & nutrients

so the quality of the milk is highly dependent on the health of the source (animals, plants, nuts) and the processing methods of the milk.

shalom shalom vanessa

Soy Alert!

This should put an end to why soy is bad for you.

Thanks Hoppy! I was just about to post something similar.

Almond milk imho is the healthiest...almonds are very high in calcium and it is very alkaline compared to milk, which is very acidic on the ph scale.

Soy Alert!

Have you read the bit about soy lecithin on that page. Any idea why Shelley recommends this as a supplement? I understand that is takes fats out of the liver, but it sounds like a pretty wretched substance by their description.

Soy Alert!

Almond milk imho is the healthiest...almonds are very high in calcium and it is very alkaline compared to milk, which is very acidic on the ph scale.

Almond milk is alkaline? or do you mean less acidic than milk? all these acid/alkaline charts are different... i dont get it

some charts say potatoes are acidic and others say it is alkaline, now what it it??? same goes for olive oil and cottage cheese:

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

this chart says almonds are alkaline but almond milk is acidifying

NOW WHICH CHART IS RIGHT?!

Soy Alert!

Almond milk is alkaline? or do you mean less acidic than milk? all these acid/alkaline charts are different... i dont get it

some charts say potatoes are acidic and others say it is alkaline, now what it it??? same goes for olive oil and cottage cheese:

http://www.thewolfeclinic.com/acidalkfoods.html

this chart says almonds are alkaline but almond milk is acidifying

NOW WHICH CHART IS RIGHT?!

I am not going by a chart, I'm going by the fact that I had some ph strips and I stuck it in the milk and it tested at like 8 or 9......whereas vinegar tested at 2 or 3.

lol... nice one :) too bad you cant do that with hard food

I would rely partly on almond milk for calcium (it even has magnesium and some fat, for better absorption of the calcium), but almonds are fairly high in oxalic acid, aren't they? Oxalic acid actually inhibits calcium absorption. Does anyone know if there's oxalic acid present in almond MILK?

lol... nice one :) too bad you cant do that with hard food

Yeah, I had some to test the kombucha tea I was brewing, and I actually stuck the strips in various drinks and liquids to compare the colors they turned....just out of curiosity.....sure enough, they really do work and turn a whole array of colors, depending upon their ph values.

I would rely partly on almond milk for calcium (it even has magnesium and some fat, for better absorption of the calcium), but almonds are fairly high in oxalic acid, aren't they? Oxalic acid actually inhibits calcium absorption. Does anyone know if there's oxalic acid present in almond MILK?

Not sure, but I take coral calcium in powder form as well....I mainly have it as a milk substitute, plus the Blue Diamond brand is just fantastic and delicious!