Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
floss

Coconut oil

I've just started using coconut oil for cooking (instead of my usual olive oil) but i really don't like it. Coconut oil BY ITSELF tastes fine, just like a Bounty Bar - but on an omelette??! Would you eat a bounty bar with an omelette?? I wouldn't mind so much, but i usually tend to enjoy my eggs.

The alternative is frying with butter, but i always thought this was the top 'unhealthy food'. Is its reputation worse than it deserves?

Yum yum yum who'd have thought butter was healthy?!

I'm still rather unclear about what it IS that fucks up the liver and causes 'stones', is it ONLY the hydronated fats found in manufactured stuff?

A lot of products say 'Vegetable oil (rapeseed oil, palm oil)' in the ingredients without saying 'hydrogenated', are products obliged to say 'hydrogenated' if they are, or might these oils be hydronated without them saying?

And what does 'rancid' mean?

Guest Akira

i put coconut oil in my tea, makes it rather tasty too

Rancid is when it goes shitty

The alternative is frying with butter, but i always thought this was the top 'unhealthy food'. Is its reputation worse than it deserves?

Yes. Forget the stupid anti-saturated-fat hysteria, which should have gone out with high-button shoes. The only "bad" fats are oxidized fats and trans-fats. And for the specific purpose of cooking, the more saturated the fat is, the better. Saturated fats are more resistant to oxidation than unsaturated ones.

Bryan

The smoking point. That's the thing you want to remember when cooking with oils. The oil can be the healthiest thing when eaten uncooked but have a smoking point a few hundred degrees lower than other fats like butter. Just google the smoking point of fats and you'll find your answer.

Once a fat has reached it's smoking point, you might as well just have used a crap load of trans fats to start with(If you stir fry or saute though, most fats will not reach that point).

coconut oil can go up to 200 degrees celcius, no problem, and olive oil up to 180 (or was it 160).

Yeah but when you're frying something it's not like you got any idea what degree celsius it's at is it? Maybe frying with olive oil is ok if you fry slowly on a low heat - hard to know...

i tried coconut oil incase of candida, did nothing, just made me less enjoy all meals with it inside. just cooked 2 porterhouse badboys and it was noticably less tasty than olive or canola oil.