Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(eLLe)

sugar? or baking soda scrub?

i'm trying to decide which scrub to go for. sugar or baking soda. i think my current scrub is irritating and causing some breakouts, so would like to switch and diy. i have acne-prone sensitive combination skin, have blackheads and some clogged pores. i've seen great reviews on mua for each, though baking soda has WAYYYY more reviews. since you guys have similar skin types as me, i would appreciate any input on this.

i'm leaning towards sugar since baking soda is alkaline and several reviewers mentioned that it temporarily removes the skin's acid protective mantle and it can be harsh, which of course isn't compatible with sensitive skin. what do you guys think? if it's sugar, white or brown?

THANKS SOOOO SOOOO MUCH.

I did baking soda, and produced great great great results. I did salt too, and not so good results. Sugar might cause osmosis and suck the water and moisture out of your face the way salt does. I haven't personally tried sugar, but that's my opinion. Baking Soda works though and leaves your face smooth and soft in addition to its gentleness. I haven't used it for many many months though. But then again, I haven't consistently used anything in my face for many many months except moisturizers (you should know because I remember you posting on my "A new light for all of us" thread)

Good luck.

thanks jan carlo. ur comment on osmosis takes me right back to highschool bio class. haha.

i think i'll try both. and see which one i like better. thanks.

u know, i love how we can replace expensive commercial products with common things we find in our homes: sugar, baking soda, vinegar (from your post, ;)), vaseline, etc. effective and cheap. love it.

I tried baking soda once, it worked ok, but uncoated aspirin dissolved into a paste with water works a lot better for me. I have to be really gentle because it is easy to make my face temporarily red if I scrub too harsh.

I tried baking soda once, it worked ok, but uncoated aspirin dissolved into a paste with water works a lot better for me. I have to be really gentle because it is easy to make my face temporarily red if I scrub too harsh.

yes, i tried the aspirin mask before. left it on for 10 min. i tried to scrub uber gently. but it's soooo harsh, the particles are too big and abrasive. so i just washed it off. but the mask still irritated and dried out my skin BAD!!! is baking soda similar to aspirin in terms of harshness? if it is, it's probably not ok with my sensitive skin.

yes, i tried the aspirin mask before. left it on for 10 min. i tried to scrub uber gently. but it's soooo harsh, the particles are too big and abrasive. so i just washed it off. but the mask still irritated and dried out my skin BAD!!! is baking soda similar to aspirin in terms of harshness? if it is, it's probably not ok with my sensitive skin.

Sorry to hear that happened to you with the aspirin. I have to give it extra time and water to dissolve or as you say the particles are too big. I'm not really sure what the answer is to your harshness question. Apparently the pH of baking soda changes when it gets mixed with water, so I'm not sure the same holds true with sugar or anything else. Like you say give both a fair try and see which works better. I would start out with very small amounts and give them extra time to dissolve, and gradually bump up. Good luck!

I use an fresh squeezed orange juice/brown sugar mix on my lips a couple times a week and it they look really great. The areas are my lips are the only place on my face blemish free.

I don't know how it would be all over your face.

thanks for the replies guys.

i tried baking soda in the shower last night in the shower. i mixed half and half with spectro jel, spectro jel is slightly acidic and baking soda is alkaline, so i SUPPOSE it balances out the ph.

i liked it. it wasn't abrasive at all, it was like rubbing my skin with a watery flour mixture. haha. it was slimy. it was kinda hard to rinse off, i thought. i didn't even feel particles scrubbing my skin, but my skin felt exfoliated. vvvvv good. though it's drying afterwards, so i put on some toner. this one's a keeper.

next time, i'll try white sugar (brown sugar looks too big imo ;)) to see which one i like better. :)