Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Salicylic acid, my love, my sweet,

So close to Valentine's Day, my thoughts return to you. I know we have been separated for some time, but I have lain my pride at your feet, and I beg for the mercy of your forgiveness. I got caught up in the shiny new fads of PCMX and the popularity of BP. But these things never had my true love. You've been with me through it all, and I beg you to come back.

I know things were never easy. You used to be rough on me -- you'd sear my face good. But I needed you to be tough, I needed you to slough off that dead weight.

I'm back, baby. You're back in my regimen. But you never left PJCQ's Clear Heart Regimen.

<3 me

hahahaha. What is Salicylic acid anyway? How does it benefit acne and how is it applied? Fill my ignorant ass in!!

This is the acne.org page about it. It benefits acne by making skin cells slough off more rapidly, thus helping pores not to clog up. It dries your skin like a mother, so keep a mostuerizer handy, but I've found it also makes mine look more even-toned. I use Phisoderm's soap which contains 2% SA twice a day and Neutrogena's shaving cream with 1% in the AM.

Shyfreak, I haven't found the cajones to go off BP yet, but I look forward to the day when I can get off my "medication on the side" :)

sa in soaps arent effective.. and i doubt it would be effective in a shaving cream either.. it has to actually be on your skin for a period of time to do anything.

So close to Valentine's Day, my thoughts return to you. I know we have been separated for some time, but I have lain my pride at your feet, and I beg for the mercy of your forgiveness. I got caught up in the shiny new fads of PCMX and the popularity of BP. But these things never had my true love. You've been with me through it all, and I beg you to come back.

I know things were never easy. You used to be rough on me -- you'd sear my face good. But I needed you to be tough, I needed you to slough off that dead weight.

I'm back, baby. You're back in my regimen. But you never left PJCQ's Clear Heart Regimen.

<3 me

:lol: Your post made me laugh. I hope your beloved SA takes you back, and things are even better between the two of you, than before. What a sweet Valentine's post.

best wishes.

sa in soaps arent effective.. and i doubt it would be effective in a shaving cream either.. it has to actually be on your skin for a period of time to do anything.

Really? I've had great results with Phisoderm's soap. I do leave it on for thirty seconds or so before washing it out, and it tightens and flakes the hell out of my skin before I get the mosturizer on, so it must be doing something :)

Thanks Brandy...just trying to get in the spirit :)

I use a SA wash in the morning and the evening. I spot treat with BP in the morning though and use green cream at night.

I LOVE SA too!!

But I have to agree with SuperCelebs, SA soaps don't really work since SA has to be left on in order to really do it's job. I use an SA gel by Neutrogena.

Lovely, I am using the SA gel by Neutrogena as well and my question to you is, does it cause an initial purging. I started using it Monday and I have alot of tiny bumps, especially along my hairline. I haven't had a pimple along my hairline in a long time.

@shyfreak: I've heard people mention purging, but it never happened to me. I saw really good results after about 3 weeks.

pj,

I love your quote! I am another SA lover. Count me in.

Here's what I've researched and what works for me. Several months ago I logged into dermatologytimes.com and researched salicylic acid. I found a great article, and another on the internet as well, about the combination of 2% salicylic acid and .075% retinol helping both acne and aging skin at the same time. The product mentioned was Neutrogena Healthy Skin Anti Acne Anti Wrinkle cream. This stuff is awesome.

I have since found that any combination of retinol and salicylic product works well. They are synergistic and each boost the properties of the other.

I would only recommend a potent retinol product by a reputable company. For example Neutrogena (owned by Johnson and Johnson who marketed Retin A), and a few other companies put out Retinol in a decent strength. Another example would be Roc retinol products. But there are others.

I find any brand of salicylic acid is super. I use washes, scrubs, etc.

My latest find is the new L'oral Acne Peel made with a combination 2% salicylic acid and glycolic acid. It is terrific. I use it at night. After I use it my skin is slightly irritated and doesn't look that great, but in the morning my skin is soft with shrunken pores. This stuff is great.

I'm glad others out there love salicylic acid as well.

Let's share our product finds! :dance:

<3 me

I was just having the same thoughts. You know what they say, "if you love something, set it free...." Well, I AM BACK too!!!!!!

After one minute, perferably two minutes, of sa soap/cleanser on your face (at 2% and a pH of 4 or lower) the acid will have time to dissolve dirt, oil, and skin cells effectively, thus doing what it says and 'exfoliating' chemically.

I like to follow with an sa gel or toner/pad of 2% sa that is left on and absorbed by my skin. That way I am sure it is working. However, I recommend working up to so much sa or you will be sensitive. Oh, and you MUST use a moisturizer!!!!!

Have any of ya'll tried a moisturizer with SA in it??

I have been using Clean and Clear Dual Action Moisturizer.. it has SA in it.. I actually really like it..

Does SA give you an initial break-out, like a purging process?

I think that it might, as with any exfoliant, as you start to shed skin layers the stuff underneath will come to the surface faster. I've been on it for freaking ever so I don't know exactly how the process is...maybe someone else can answer this better.

From my experience, yes it does. I tried Neutrogena Clear Pore Treatment and at the time, my face was pretty much under control. I used it for a week and my face broke out. Once I stopped using it, my face recovered. Right now I am using Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish cream with salicylic acid and retinol. So maybe it was the product and not the salicylic acid.

From my experience, yes it does. I tried Neutrogena Clear Pore Treatment and at the time, my face was pretty much under control. I used it for a week and my face broke out. Once I stopped using it, my face recovered. Right now I am using Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish cream with salicylic acid and retinol. So maybe it was the product and not the salicylic acid.

Thanks for the answer! I'm also using the Neutrogena Anti-Wrinkle Anti-Blemish Cream with SA and retinol, in conjunction with the Neut. Healthy Skin face lotion with SPF 15 and AHA. I'm not completely clear yet, but I'm getting there...

@41790, I tried the Neutrogena Healthy Skin with SPF 15 and AHA awhile ago and I think that it does work well, but it was too greasy for me. My personal fave is the Neutrogena Visibly Even with SPF 15. I recently stopped using it because my face has become an oil slick. I will probably repurchase pretty soon though.

I've recently crawled back to SA, went from dan's bp gel too panoxyl's 5% bar wash to a bar soap with 3% SA with 10% sulfur, which I'm using right now.