Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tableforone

update on "leave it alone" experiment

for those of you who remember i made a post about trying the "leave it alone" or "do nothing" method of acne control..

well, i have to say i've been doing it for 2 weeks now, and am having astounding results. my face is 99.9% clear. the only marks that remain on my face are 2-3 residual scars from a couple pimples from when i was on my old regimen. these were some deep buggers which is why they've taken so long to heal, but the skin pigment is almost fully back to baseline now. you can't even tell from like a foot away. since quitting all acne products, i have not had one new pimple. i'm dead serious.

even the closed blackheads on my forehead are beginning to go away. i'm having really good success with this.. which makes me wonder, since i'm 22, maybe i have actually outgrown my acne and these topical treatments were aggravating my skin causing the very breakouts they were used to prevent!?

i will continue with this method obviously and i will continue to post my results. i know this could go the other way, but i haven't had a new pimple in 2 weeks and that is extremely rare for me, so it's not likely chance. i'm praying this is my cure.

note: only routine i use for my face is i wash with water when i wake up, and i wash with neutrogena bar soap before bed (the clear orange one, which has no acne medication in it.)

one other possibility that could be influencing this is that i've started to take a zinc supplement. i'm not sure if it has anything to do with my skin being clear or not. my experiment is actually tainted a little bit because of that fact.. but continuing to do both is much easier than my old routine by far.

what does everyone think of this? any comments?

sounds like it has possibilities. my skin was fine up until i started wearing makeup and trying out different skin products, cleansers and stuff. and then it got worse and worse. i think my stress over it made it even more worse! :(

maybe i should try just leaving the damn thing alone :-k

It's possible that you've outgrown your acne, but it may also be that your clear skin is just a result of the acne meds you'd been previously on. Most meds work by pulling everything up from your pores and getting rid of that before it can prevent new zits from popping up. So, when you're on them, you get worse. When you come off, it may get better because nothing's there to pull anything new up, but then it can get worse becuase you just start breaking out all over again.

there is some major marret to this experiement...i have always said that closer to nature the better...meaning less man made products....let mother nature heal you!!

Everytime I stopped putting things on my face(Dan's regimen, Retina micro, tazorac) my skin would stop being irritated and would get really clear for a while, like a month, then return to some zits. One of my worst breakouts in a while was about 2 months ago during a "do nothing" period. Not trying to knock your method, just stating my experience.