Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gotskates14127

be smart. This is a main facrtor of acne

When you go thruogh puberty you startd to make something in your body that produces a hihger amount of a hormone. Some of them go rocket high and produce acne as a result. The only thing to cure it i to kill the hormone in yuor body or put i abck to normal. Good luck. very hard to find a pill. Acne is the results on the outside. You need something to kill acne on in the inside and outside.

Thanks

But i think everyperosn on this site knwos this but thanks for looking out for the newbies.

Ever thought acne can be external?

Just a thought.

Acne external? wish it was true for me, I break out if I eat nuts or pork products on my neck, so its not like I rub it on those places. Still I think that some things are external when it comes to acne on the outside, things we put on our skin, enviroment, hairspray, hair gel, perfume, cleaning products, oil from restaurants or work places. so for some it could be external and some its not. All are different.

When you go thruogh puberty you startd to make something in your body that produces a hihger amount of a hormone. Some of them go rocket high and produce acne as a result. The only thing to cure it i to kill the hormone in yuor body or put i abck to normal. Good luck. very hard to find a pill. Acne is the results on the outside. You need something to kill acne on in the inside and outside.

It actually goes way beoynd that....people who have acne are predisposed to it....

That's right...you have the beginnings of acne in early childhood. There has been evidance found that prebubecent children as young as 7 or 8 can have microcomedoes, even before the sebacous glands are active..... before the the production of androgens to trigger the changes of puberty even occur. A microcomedo is the first stage of all acne lesions. They form due to abnormal keritization and desquamation of the corneocytes near the opening of the hair follicles on the face. This eventually blocks off the follicle or a philosebaceous duct. Once these children hit puberty and their androgens increase changes in hair follicles occur (the reason you grow some extra hair during puberty). The vellus follicles (follicles that have no visable hair) on the enlarge and become sebacous follicles, which become active (they produce sebum). If you are predisposed to acne your follicles are already blocked up before you sebacous glands become active, so once they do they fill with sebum which becomes trapped in the pore with bacteria. The pore becomes infected and acne lesions appear....

You can stop acne by stopping puberty but who would want to be a little kid forever??

I think the better idea is to find a way to stop the blockage...

They haven't even figured out what causes it....so how are they gonna be able to find a way to stop it?

They haven't even figured out what causes it....so how are they gonna be able to find a way to stop it?

I thought Retin A stopped it?

I thought Retin A stopped it?

It does as long as you use it, but I don't really think of it as a cure...It also creates changes in the epidermis and dermis that are not seen in the skin of people without acne. As it makes keratinocytes smaller and prevents their agglometation, it thins the epidermis (making you more suceptible to sunburn and transepidermal water loss), thickens the dermis (which is actually a good thing in terms of anti-aging properties of tretonin), and it interfears with the skin's lipid barrier....all changes that are not typically seen in "normal" skin without tretionin treatment.

Acne isn't actually caused by a lack of trans-retinoic acid but possibly by a defect in the retinoid receptors or some other enzyme responsible for cell differentiation and proliferation....this is what hasn't been figured out yet...

I'm not sure I buy that (that they don't know what causes the blockage)...otherwise Accutane wouldn't work. They've gotta have SOME concept, right?

There's obviously a lot of people from all over the world that are predisposed to getting acne, and I think a wrong diet is what triggers it for most of us.

We all have friends who can eat just about anything without getting as much as a tiny little zit, while others can't even eat a simple banana without breaking out.

People from other cultures who move to our western society and start eating like us may or may not get acne. If they're not predisposed to it, they'll probably be just fine. But I do know of a lot of cases where acne-free people from distant cultures (Asia etc) have moved here and had breakouts because of the western diet.

There's obviously a lot of people from all over the world that are predisposed to getting acne, and I think a wrong diet is what triggers it for most of us.

We all have friends who can eat just about anything without getting as much as a tiny little zit, while others can't even eat a simple banana without breaking out.

People from other cultures who move to our western society and start eating like us may or may not get acne. If they're not predisposed to it, they'll probably be just fine. But I do know of a lot of cases where acne-free people from distant cultures (Asia etc) have moved here and had breakouts because of the western diet.

I actually eat what I consider to be a really healthy diet. I'm not Asian. I'm American. I have a few nationalies and ethnicities mixed together. Do you think if I move to Okinawa and stuff my face full of sushi and seaweed I'll get rid of my acne???

I actually eat what I consider to be a really healthy diet. I'm not Asian. I'm American. I have a few nationalies and ethnicities mixed together. Do you think if I move to Okinawa and stuff my face full of sushi and seaweed I'll get rid of my acne???

Actually, I know several Americans who moved to Japan and China, and their skin DID clear up! Mind you, they moved to smaller towns where the locals did still eat rather traditionally...

Actually, I know several Americans who moved to Japan and China, and their skin DID clear up! Mind you, they moved to smaller towns where the locals did still eat rather traditionally...

I was kidding...

I actually love sushi though....

I'm not ever gonna give up my way of life (or my baking hobby) to get rid of a few zits, that's what my derm's for......

I'm not sure I buy that (that they don't know what causes the blockage)...otherwise Accutane wouldn't work. They've gotta have SOME concept, right?

Not really. If you look at most studies you'll usually see a sentence somewhere in the paper that states... "while the exact mechanism of the formation of microcomedoes is still unknown....ect"

So no we still don't know what causes the pores to block up, and exactly what causes hyperkeratinization and abnormal desquamation of the philosebaceous ducts....

There are some theories, but they are just that....theories

We know that acneic skin is also accompanied by an impaired water barrier function and that acneic skin lipids (both sebaceous and epidermal lipids) are deficient in linoleic acid....but we don't know why...

Actually we don't even know why Accutane (and topical retinoids) work. We know they have something to do with altering DNA translation, but we don't actually know their exact mechanism of action....all we know is that they work....we don't know exactly why....

Actually, I'd be satisfied right now if I just knew exactly how Accutane causes such a sharp (albeit temporary) reduction in sebum production. It's been a while since I've bothered to read the latest Accutane abstracts. To the best of your knowledge, LabGirl, has there been any more real info discovered about how Accutane does that?

Bryan

Wouldn't your skin get very dry if you almost stopped producing sebum?

Of course it would my freind. Hence the role of Accutane which managed to reduce sebum production 9excess oil) and thus prevents pores fro clogging and P-acnes to develop.

Moisturising is essential with Tane.

They have some concept. Nevertheless, they still don't know what causes acne and how it actually works. Also, they still don't know how exactly Isotretinoin (accutane) works - that's written in Product Information (The exact mechanism of action of

isotretinoin is unknown. - page 3).

Actually, I'd be satisfied right now if I just knew exactly how Accutane causes such a sharp (albeit temporary) reduction in sebum production. It's been a while since I've bothered to read the latest Accutane abstracts. To the best of your knowledge, LabGirl, has there been any more real info discovered about how Accutane does that?

Bryan

Nope, nothing except the good old "it may act on DNA translation bullshit"...all retinoids act on DNA translation....grrrr....they just don't actually know much about what exactly controls the proliferation of keratinocytes and sebocytes, this is twhy they don't know how accutane (and other retinoids) work....

My guess (I know I'm not a real scientist but...) is that, while it causes the keratinocytes to rapidly proliferate and become smaller in size (like trans retinoic acid does) it also has much influence over sebocyte proliferation (which trans retinoic acid does not) and actually doesn't stop the secreation of sebum by the sebocytes, but it completely halts the proliferation of the sebocytes. If the sebocytes can't mature , they don't rupture and relaese their sebum into the sebaceous ducts. This accounts for the shrinking of the sebacous glands....

Actually it's not even the isotretonin that causes this. It seems as if isotretonin is actually converted into tretonin in the sebocytes. I'm pretty sure you've seen these before since they're a few years old....

13-cis retinoic acid exerts its specific activity on human sebocytes through selective intracellular isomerization to all-trans retinoic acid and binding to retinoid acid receptors

The human sebocyte culture model provides new insights into development and management of seborrhoea and acne

I doubt these actually get into the exact mechanism that retinoic acid (both cis and trans versions) have on nucleic acid transcriprion and translation in both the sebocytes and keratinocytes....it's be neat if someone could figure it out already....it's been on the market for decades....

Wouldn't your skin get very dry if you almost stopped producing sebum?

I'm doubting the decrease in sebum production is what causes the dryness associated with Accutane treatment. Sebum dosen't actually moisturize the skin. While it is slightly emollient, it's porpose isn't to moisturize the skin. Who do lips get dry then? The lips have no sebaceous glands....The dryness associated with accutane treatment is partly caused by the thinning of the epidermis cause by rapid proliferation of keratinocytes. Because they proliferate so rapidly they are often smaller in size, and contain less keratin (the oppisote of the hyperkeratinzation of the skin cells that causes acne). Because the epidermis becomes thin, some of the barrier function of the stratum corneum is lost, increasing transepidermal water loss.

Accutane treatment may also disrupt the synthesis of the epidermal lipids (sphingolipids, ceramides...ect) due to the rapid proliferation of the skin cells. These lipids make up the skin's barrier to water loss, adding to the dryness issue even more....

I'd still agree that moisturizing is a very good idea if you are taking Accutane