Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not going outside

I think A lot of people feel that way..But the thing that makes me feel posative about it is that when I am clear for those small periods, i actually enjoy my life 5 times more than other people.. it 's like the pheonex rising from the ashes...ya know what I mean.... iAlso when i Don't feel like going out side i spend most of my time painting, that makes me feel good about my self also...sometimes you just have to look at it as a temporary set back.....remember that wich does not kill you makes you stronger

awww... i know how you feel. I've declared that I'm not going to go back to school unless my face clears up. But sometimes you just have to realize that everyone experiences acne at one point or another (yes, even those dorks with the totally clear skin right now), and if you're made fun of it's really their loss for not getting to know the great person behind the pimples. you'll miss out on so much and regret it if you let a lump of dead skin and oil hold you back. so, grab some concealor, cover it up, and smile, bcuz the good news is, it will go away

I know how you feel. I'm managing to control my acne with b5, but the hassle of having to take it so often, and the fact that I've got scars all over my face means I never go out ever, I just sit in my room all day on the weekends. I've stopped seeing all my friends as I couldn't handle being around them as none of them have to go through what i have to. When I was 20 I tried suicide but failed, i'm now 22 and just wanna be dead. If I had a gun I would just shoot myself as I can't see the point in me being alive and I don't feel like anyone would even notice if I was dead. I don't even speak to my parents. Any confidence I once had when I was younger has now gone and I just can't see the point in carrying on like this, hoping that one day I mite be able to get up in the morning and not worry about whether I'm gonna have any spots appearing that mite leave another scar.

YO, Allan I want you to know that there are people much worst than you are(acne ain't that bad once you think about it.All it is is looks.) and don't be so hard on yourself many of us are goin through what you're goin through so your not alone.KEEP GOIN MAN

There are some days where I wish I could just die as well, but I have a shower, do my routine and hang out with some friends or just anyone I like to be around and all thsoe ideas and feelings just go away. With time my red marks are fading but its almost been a year already...anyway im in the 11th grade and I started getting severe acne last year, no one else had it so of course you feel like you wanna die. Now my acnes finally getting alot better I notice everyone else in my grade is starting to get it...maybe theyre all people who thought they were better than me because of their skin and its kinda like karma...? And these are people that had PERFECT skin, all of a sudden they break out. But its annoying cuz some people that get the acne almost as bad as me seem to get it to go away so much faster!

anyway just needed to say some things to feel better :)/

it's funny- weird funny, not haha funny- i thought i was the only one who felt like you do. i'm going into 10th grade, and until this summer, i had almost perfect skin. it seems like everyone has found some way to clear up, while i'm just finding my way to a derm.

-------------Quote---------------

remember that which does not kill you makes you stronger

-----------------------------------

That is soo true. Come on guys, we cant let something like Acne defeat us!

And to the people who said they had perfect skin, but broke out like two years ago, think about the people who had it for almost half of their lives..

:cough:friendlyneighborhoodinfinite?s:cough: ](*,)

Same thing happened to me, I was 23, just married when I got my acne .For one year I was basically hiding from everyone. Now that everything it’s back to normal I started to go out more.

Same thing happened to me, I was 23, just married when I got my acne .For one year I was basically hiding from everyone. Now that everything it’s back to normal I started to go out more.

I wear a cap everywhere I go. I wear a headband when I play soccer. I think both pieces of headgear make my acne condition worse. But I have too much pride for myself to look the way I am without em.

Like you, I try to stay hidden during the entire week except for school + Sunday Soccer.

hello:

It's very sad that you guys are wasting your life away because of your self concious. I realize that acne can be painful and traumatizing, but for it to keep you hidden from the rest of the world shows that you have a weak ego, this year ive been pretty clear, haven't had one zit in about a year, using retin a, i eat whatever i want, but last year, i had minor break outs and i understand how you guys feel. before going out i'd always do a last minute check up in the mirror and right before i'd leave the door i'd see my breakout and hesitate before going out, but i thought about it and realized how much life has to offer outside of your house, and letting acne keep you away from that is pitiful. sometimes people with acne think that when they step out of their house the public is immediatly judging them and critiqing them, but the truth is 90% of the people that see you out there wont care or wont even notice you, its your self concious thats taking over, if you stay hidden because of acne, you are a coward, what do you think life is like for overweight people everyday? how about handicapped people, the disabled and sick? yes i know acne is serious and painful to go through, but to let it ruin your life because of worrying what people will think is the WORST thing you can do, you are missing out guys.

skunk you have no fucking idea what your talking about. I'd like to thank you for giving us your 2¢

I second that.

that's not cool. skunk was just trying to be positive in his own way. no need to dismiss. anyhoo...don't go outside then. and don't feel guilty about not going outside. we're human. we have ego. some more than others. you're not bad for wanting to hide out. what sucks is when you feel bad about hiding out.

hello:

It's very sad that you guys are wasting your life away because of your self concious. I realize that acne can be painful and traumatizing, but for it to keep you hidden from the rest of the world shows that you have a weak ego, this year ive been pretty clear, haven't had one zit in about a year, using retin a, i eat whatever i want, but last year, i had minor break outs and i understand how you guys feel. before going out i'd always do a  last minute check up in the mirror and right before i'd leave the door i'd see my breakout and hesitate before going out, but i thought about it and realized how much life has to offer outside of your house, and letting acne keep you away from that is pitiful. sometimes people with acne think that when they step out of their house the public is immediatly judging them and critiqing them, but the truth is 90% of the people that see you out there wont care or wont even notice you, its your self concious thats taking over, if you stay hidden because of acne, you are a coward, what do you think life is like for overweight people everyday? how about handicapped people, the disabled and sick? yes i know acne is serious and painful to go through, but to let it ruin your life because of worrying what people will think is the WORST thing you can do, you are missing out guys.

Yes, what you said didnt help at all.

I was like this. I wouldn't go out when my acne was bad. I would sleep all day hoping it would go away. Now, I have a job, live by myself and I have to go out and deal with people. It gets hard sometimes but I've realized staying home depressing over acne wasn't helping at all. At least, going out with friends and working keep me busy and I forget about my face for a while.

People who don't have acne, red marks from old acne, and scars don't have a clue as to what it feels like when you're in public. Sure, it's easy to say that it's not the looks that are important, but what's on the inside. The sad thing is that society judges on looks too much these days. But I do agree with a previous comment that most of the time people aren't looking at you when you are outside in public. Most people are too busy minding their own business. Sure, there might be a jerk or some little kid that might say something, but I guess ya just have to let it go. Somedays, I tell myself that I'm gonna go out but change my mind because I don't like the way my face looks today, while other days, it doesn't look too bad and I actually do go out. I think it's more difficult when you're the center of attention or have to look at someone directly in the eye.

I started getting acne in the 6th grade, I went to derms and such and didn't really care. I was popular and had a boyfriend, so it was ok. but you could tell that something else was happening because i was starting to get increasingly worried about my skin. i started wearing make-up to cover it up in 7th grade, always worried that i looked to "made-up", i was trying to get the flawless skin look without people knowing that i was wearing make-up. than in 8th grade it stopped. had great skin and self confidence. and than my freshman year of high school it really got bad. i never got severe acne or break outs all over my skin, but it was just enough to make me freak out. i would sit infront of the mirror for hours every morning trying to cover up all of my flaws, and crying when i couldn't get it right. this turned into an everyday routine and i missed a lot of school because of it. than in april of 97 i took an overdose of pills. i was tired of going through this everyday and having to fight all the time. i had just gotten into a fight with my mom that night about school and me not going too. after i took them i told my mom, and was rushed to the hospital. unfortunately in the state of florida when a minor overdoses they are baker acted and forced to go to a mental hospital for an undetermined amount of time. when i went there ALL of the doctors/nurses kept asking "why worry about your skin, you shouldn't let that bother you, it is silly to spend so much time in the morning on something like that", basically saying you are an idiot for obsessing about it. I was given some medication for obsessive complusive disorder and in 7 days i was back at home, and at school. i managed to make the rest of the year (all 2 months that were left) and through the summer. i promised my mom that next year would be different, and it started out ok. but old habbits die hard, as they say. it started again. i only made it about 3 months into the year before i wasn't going anymore. at that time i had started dating a wonderful man (with whom i am still with). i would use excuses as to why i couldn't go out on a date over and over again. my best friend stopped being my friend because she couldn't understand why i didn't want to see her, and that hurt me a lot. eventually i swore that i would not leave the house until it went away. i stopped wearing make-up and stopped going anywhere. because of this i missed my boyfriends graduation and birthday parties. i missed being 16. i was inside for 6/7 months straight, only leaving to go to the doctor. i was given prozac, zoloft and paxil (which i am still taking) i would have crying fits and just cry all day. when i felt good i would try and have fun but would always be worried about it in the back of my head. no one understood what i was going through. i didn't even want my parents to see me, i didn't feel like i was worth looking at. i made my boyfriend come over in the pitch dark so he couldn't see my face. i did not finish regular high school because i was so afraid. eventually, when i was 17 i managed to get my g.e.d. 17-19 was touch and go. i would have a good day, and than a bad day. i lost/quit several jobs because i was missing work so often. than when i was 19 i started accutane. that worked wonders and by the fourth month my skin was perfectly clear. it stayed that way for about 8 months after treatment stopped. than small break outs would happen, nothing to serious. by that time i had a steady job. than 20 came around, still with the boyfriend, still at the same job and still getting breakouts. now i am 21, 1 1/2 years since accutane - 2 years into the same job - 6 years with the boyfriend, and the breakouts are getting worse and more frequent. i have recently missed a lot more work and my attitude has gotten worse. i am not confident at all, i have got money problems, and to top it off i am at a point where i don't think my acne will ever go away. i can't bear to go outside without make-up on, and i still fight with it every morning before work, granted it doesn't take 2+ hours to get ready (down to about 40 minutes +shower). i don't know what to do anymore. i have tried just about everything, and my life has suffered because of it. right now all of the big acne is gone but my skin has little blackheads and whiteheads all over it, i can feel them when i wash my face and i have a lot of red marks. i wish i could just rip my skin off and take all of the puss out of my face. i am 21 and i just don't see a lot of 21 yr olds out there with acne. it is embarassing having a "teenage" problem in the work field. i feel that i couldn't get a job because my skin makes me seem immature. everyone associates acne with being a teenager and here i am 21 years old and have worse acne than a lot of school kids!

why did i write all of this? i don't know. maybe to get a point accross to some people that this is a dibilitating disease (and yes it is a disease), for which there does not seem to be a cure from. i applaud those of you who can go outside and get on with life without worry about what you look like, but for me I constantly have this voice in my head telling me that everyone is pointing at my acne and thinking that i don't belong in society. i don't like feeling this way, but it won't go away. maybe one of these days i will learn to just "deal with it".

what i don't think skunk2 understands is that acne can be just as dibilitating as being handicapped or overweight. infact if you asked someone who sufferend from depression due to their skin if they would give up the ability to walk for clear skin they would give it up. society looks at certain diseases certain ways. unfortunately acne is not regarded as a disease in the public, it is looked at as a "teenage problem" and therefore is associated with teenage immaturity, or poor hygiene. when a person suffers from acne with depression their life can stop. everwhere you look you see someone with clear skin, and they are regarded as the "beautiful people". at least when you are overweight you can diet and excersize or get sugery to maintain a healthier weight, if you have acne there is nothing that you can do to maintain perfect skin for life, because it is always lingering there. there is no cure. acne is very serious. if you can get on with your life and still have acne than more power to you, but don't make the situation worse by saying that we are "cowards" for not enjoying life or saying that it is the "worse thing we could do". statements like that put you in the same catagory as the people who decide what is considered beautiful and what is unacceptable in society.

----------

infact if you asked someone who sufferend from depression due to their skin if they would give up the ability to walk for clear skin they would give it up.

----------

Giving up the ability to walk for clear skin? Im sorry haley, but I dont think many people would do that.... Anyway, I did read all of your previous reply, and I wanted to ask you.. What are you taking for your Acne now?