My success with the...

Notifications
Clear all

My success with the regimen after a lot of failure with BP

MemberMember
(@n0hbody)

Posted : 09/30/2002 3:10 am

For over a year I had been trying to use 5% Benzoyl Peroxide off and on, long before I had discovered the regimen shown on acne.org. Every single time I would apply BP it would overly dry my face in a matter of days to the point where my face would get bloated, it would be all red and it would crack if I moved any facial muscles. No exagheration.

One day I ended up looking for answers on the internet and I ended reading Dan's regimen which I followed closely by adding in a moisturizer and downgrading my BP to 2.5% along with the directions. Unfortunately my face kept reacting terribly to any and all Benzoyl Peroxide, but not as bad as it did with BP 5% and no moisturizer, at least I could move my mouth this time. I began to wonder if I was allergic to BP, but the regimen guide says that you should experience burning and peeling at the beginning of your treatment; something I was experiencing in excess, but that's all I was experiencing. I finally discovered what the problem was, and it was very simple. I started with too much BP every single time. Some of you may be thinking that it is obvious to not start off with a lot of BP, but I used hardly any in comparison to what the regimen recommends. Fact is, I have extremely sensitive skin and thas was very discouraging. I even gave up hope on the regimen and tried the pill form of some drug which, I was told, was supposed to make my acne a LOT worse before it got a lot better. I never refilled my second prescription because the getting worse part never quite stopped.

Two to three months ago I began Dan's regimen again but I figured I would do something different. I would apply very, VERY (I can't emphasize enough on this) small amounts of BP to my face in a fine layer and then apply a large amount of moisturizer every morning and evening afterwards aiming towards long term facial clearing goals, not short. I gradually worked up the dosage over the last two/three months to the point where I went from breaking out every few days/weekly to virtually nothing. Not only that, my blemishes (red spots) disappeared within two to three months time for me with consistent BP usage. Otherwise, they take 6 months time without BP.

So ultimately it worked out, I just didn't give up hope after hearing about so many successful stories regarding this regimen. I posted this hoping it may help someone who may have similar problems starting off. The only thing that causes me to get pimples now is not being timely with the regimen. If I go 14 or 16 hours without washing my face just once then I can almost expect a pimple or two unless of course I get lucky.

MemberMember
(@garkee83)

Posted : 09/30/2002 3:15 am

Congratulation...hopefully you will maintain a clear complexion. 2.5% of Benzoyl Peroxide is as useful as the 5% or 10% and is more gentle to your skin although it react slower than the others. So, don't be rush to achieve clearer complexion, be patient and continue your good works..BRAVO...all my best wishes to you..our new participant of this messageboard 😉

god bless you all,

cheers,

garkee2002

MemberMember
(@paul)

Posted : 10/01/2002 3:29 am

where was your acne occuring ?

was it the oily t zone area or cheeks?

i had similar problems like you and was wondering how slowly did u increase the amount of benzoyl peroxode?

wot moisturizer did u use aswell?

MemberMember
(@slide)

Posted : 10/01/2002 5:45 am

n0hbody, this is like hearing my own story!! My skin is not as sensitive as yours, but I've made the exactly same mistake as you did, I started with WAAAY to much BP everytime. I also used the 5 %, and my face would clear up dramatically within days, before my face and especially my chin would dry up so badly I couln't chew or smile. I always got so carried away after the first days of remarkable clearing that I contnued using BIG dosages even though my skin was trying to warn me.

A week ago I posted a message for Dan because I never seemed to get it right, no matter what I did. He recommended that I started off with very small dosages and ramped it up over a period of three weeks. I've followed his advice and my skin is clearing up AND I HAVE CONTROL!!! I use moisturiser twice a day, and have ramped up the dosage of BP to half an index finger now. My problem area is basically the same as Dan; the lower part of my face, but my forehead has also been breaking out lately so I apply BP there as well.

I think I've finally found the answer and I'm very encouraged to see what the next few weeks will bring...soon there will be just those fu##### red marks to go!!

Thank you Dan, if it works this time I'll try to nominate you for the Nobel Price of Medisine or something... :D

MemberMember
(@n0hbody)

Posted : 10/01/2002 9:02 pm

paul, the only places my acne appears is on the lower half of my face (cheeks, chin, etc) these days, occasionally on my nose and very rarely on my T-zone so I apply to all those areas now.

When I started 2-3 months ago I took it very slowly using the same very, very small amount of BP for the first 1-2 weeks just so that my skin could get adjusted with no irritation whatsoever. Just ignore whether or not the BP is actually affecting your acne, just keep using the same small dosage because it's not there to completely clear your face yet, it's there to get it used to the BP. After the first week or two I began to increase the amount I applied. Occasionally I would go overboard and I would know it, and if I did then the next day I would go back to what I was applying before. I guess it's a lot of trial and error, and it really depends on your skin as to how fast you increase the amount you use.

Finally, I use Cetaphil brand daily facial moisturizer SPF 15. Dan recommended it so I now use it and it works great.

511.jpg

--

slide, same results with the 5%. I also experienced remarkable clearing in the first few days, but it's really tough when you can hardly open your mouth. Anyways, it's great to hear that it's working for you now and I'm basically the same as you and Dan, the lower part of my face is the major area.

MemberMember
(@jlandin1986)

Posted : 03/05/2013 1:16 am

This sounds like something I might need to try. I'm experiencing a burning sensation after applying my moisturizer.. Maybe I need to bump it down to 2.5% and use a little.. My issue is located here..

I'm thinking about using 2.5 instead of 5 and maybe just as a spot treatment to start out.. I honestly don't know. :( This drying and burning is getting to be too much for me. My face is not healthy if it is this dry. It's not flaky, just feels dry. :'(

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/05/2013 1:22 am

I couldn't agree more with this. I started the regimen with a 5% BP and it definitely made my skin so red and so itchy and so irritated that within the 2nd week I wanted to quit soooooo bad. When I finally switched to 2.5%, it was a great move. Less irritation and less flakes and less itchy.

I'm on week 7 now and almost clear. :)

MemberMember
(@jlandin1986)

Posted : 03/05/2013 1:58 am

I couldn't agree more with this. I started the regimen with a 5% BP and it definitely made my skin so red and so itchy and so irritated that within the 2nd week I wanted to quit soooooo bad. When I finally switched to 2.5%, it was a great move. Less irritation and less flakes and less itchy.

I'm on week 7 now and almost clear. smile.png

Do you spot treat with the BP or use all over your face?

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/05/2013 2:03 am

I tried spot treatment before I was on the regimen and I noticed that I would get new cysts to the areas where I did not apply the BP. I have no idea if the bacteria is avoiding the medication. But now on the regimen, I definitely use it all over my face.

If you can get away with just spot treatment then more power to ya, but it didn't work for me.

MemberMember
(@jlandin1986)

Posted : 03/05/2013 2:08 am

I tried spot treatment before I was on the regimen and I noticed that I would get new cysts to the areas where I did not apply the BP. I have no idea if the bacteria is avoiding the medication. But now on the regimen, I definitely use it all over my face.

If you can get away with just spot treatment then more power to ya, but it didn't work for me.

Thanks! I'm just dealing with a lot of burning sensation after applying my moisturizer, which is why I'm contemplating spot treatment for the time being. Last night I used 10%, during the day today I used 5% and tonight I used 5%. Think I'll drop down to 2.5%.

MemberMember
(@nicmic62)

Posted : 03/05/2013 2:13 am

Thanks! I'm just dealing with a lot of burning sensation after applying my moisturizer, which is why I'm contemplating spot treatment for the time being. Last night I used 10%, during the day today I used 5% and tonight I used 5%. Think I'll drop down to 2.5%.

Drop it down to 2.5% definitely! Lots of people have said that it all works the same and you get less irritation on the 2.5%.

The burning sensation probably means you haven't been on BP too long and your skin still isn't used to it. It took around 3 weeks for the burning sensation to go away with me. Cetaphil moisturizer helped a lot too. I find that even though it made my face look greasy, it helped a lot with the dryness and redness.

MemberMember
(@jlandin1986)

Posted : 03/05/2013 2:16 am

Drop it down to 2.5% definitely! Lots of people have said that it all works the same and you get less irritation on the 2.5%.

The burning sensation probably means you haven't been on BP too long and your skin still isn't used to it. It took around 3 weeks for the burning sensation to go away with me. Cetaphil moisturizer helped a lot too. I find that even though it made my face look greasy, it helped a lot with the dryness and redness.

Thanks so much again! I think we're switching back and forth between this post and the other one.. :/ I'll drop down to 2.5% and give it more time. I have considered the Cetaphil moisturizer cream. I guess I could try using that as a nightly moisturizer instead if it causes your face to look greasy. :)