Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
zxc

Embryos hold the secrets of healing

Embryos hold the secrets of healing

Comparative studies of wounds in embryos and adults are providing insights into how scarring after trauma, such as burns and surgery could soon be a thing of the past.

Tissue repair in embryos is rapid, efficient and does not leave a scar. But scarring is a major medical problem once outside the womb, with consequences ranging from loss of function and restriction of growth and tissue movement to serious aesthetic issues. The problem is particularly acute in children, who are most likely to sustain burns injuries.

Paul Martin, professor at University College London, UK, helped organize a meeting of the Royal Society in London to discuss these issues. By understanding the differences in healing between adults and embryos, says Martin, researchers could one day modulate the recruitment of inflammatory cells to wounds, and thus improve healing in adult tissue.

The mechanism of healing differs considerably between embryos and adults - in an adult wound, keratinocytes crawl over the exposed substratum to close any gaps, but in embryos holes in the epidermis are closed by an actin-mediated purse-string mechanism. Another key difference, notes Martin, is that an inflammatory response occurs in adults but not in embryos. His group studied repair in mutant mice that fail to elicit an inflammatory response, and were surprised to find that wounds in these animals heal perfectly, without scarring. Martin has also studied inflammation in zebrafish, and his findings suggest that it might be possible to identify gene targets for the therapeutic control of recruitment of inflammatory cells to improve healing.

Mark Ferguson, a professor from the University of Manchester, UK, says he has identified several therapeutic targets. His group found that growth factor profiles differ significantly in embryonic and adult tissue. For example embryonic wounds have much lower levels of transforming growth factor beta 1 (TGFbeta1) and TGFbeta2 but much higher levels of TGFbeta3, compared with adult wound repair sites.

Ferguson's group manipulated wound healing in adult tissue to reflect that seen in embryonic tissue by neutralizing TGFbeta1 and TGFbeta2 and increasing TGFbeta3. The result was scar-free healing in adults. "The key point is that in adults the inflammatory response is in overdrive," Ferguson told BioMedNet News. TGFbeta1 and 2 can be switched off with neutralising antibodies, while retaining the remaining inflammatory, anti-microbial effects of activated inflammatory cells, he says. "Furthermore TGFbeta3 is an endogenous regenerative molecule, whose effects are swamped out by the high levels of TGFbeta1 and 2, from the inflammatory cells," he added. "Elevating the levels of TGFbeta3 causes wounds to heal with no scarring, largely by stimulating skin morphogenesis, as occurs in the embryo." Overall, he says, these alterations have little effect on the inflammatory process.

The therapeutic targets identified in Ferguson's lab have led to the development of novel pharmaceuticals. Some of these agents have already entered human clinical trials, although the findings are not yet published.

"We hypothesise that adult wound healing is evolutionarily optimised for speed of healing under dirty conditions," said Ferguson. "Scarring is a secondary consequence of this optimisation and not an advantageous evolutionary end point in its own right." The implications are considerable.

"Scarring may no longer be an inevitable consequence of injury or surgery in man," said Ferguson. "A completely new therapeutic approach to the prevention of human scarring following surgery, trauma, etc., is now possible."

http://www.vetscite.org/publish/items/001570/

NOTICE THIS:

Ferguson's group manipulated wound healing in adult tissue to reflect that seen in embryonic tissue by neutralizing TGFbeta1 and TGFbeta2 and increasing TGFbeta3. The result was scar-free healing in adults.

Anybody knows how to do that?

What you guys are referring to is the line of products being worked on by Ronovo. I've had my eye on their development over the last two years. Their lead product is in still in final clinical trials but from what I've read its a god send. However companies tend to hype up their own products..

The treatment is based on the fact that embryos never scar. Where Renovo intend to make their fortune is in scar reduction in cosmetic procedures. The idea is that you have a breast enhancement operation (for example) and a shot of Juvista by the incisions and the result is healing with minimal or no scar tissue.

Where this leaves us lot for acne scars is that a shot of juvista after an excsion, punch excision could mean minmal scarring. I had been enquiring about putting myself forward for the mole or scar clinicals trial a while ago. However I decided not to go ahead. I'm scared of being a guniea pig.

I don't know when Juvista is going to come out on the market but I know they have been working on this product for a long time. If it works as well as it claims then they are going to become very rich from cosmetic procedures.

Renovo is based in Manchester UK. Which is only a 50 min drive over the snake pass for me.

Anyway link below

http://www.renovo.com/content.asp?c_id=9

Guest Marino

What if i lost an arm or something,

would it grow back like a lizard?

It is incredible....cannot wait till it gets out....!

Wish it will happen very very soon. In the near future its not difficult to expect person with perfect complexion and beautiful skins. Acne scar could be a thing of the past like leper and small pox. Great news!

Guest Marino

:lol::lol:

lol, funny aint it?

You know what else is funny?

That time i fucked your mother in the ass.

she lovesssssssssssssssssss the cock :wub:

This article does sound really promising, I'm wondering though if it can make one to heal like an embryo, would this be a cure for wrinkles as well? Embryo's don't wrinkle and I'm sure you need just as much collagen production to fix a scar as a wrinkle. Sounds like the fountain of youth, although I really haven't researched it much. Just thinking it sounds too good. It will probably cause cancer from rapid cell growth :cry: I'm just pessimistic tonight

:lol::lol:

lol, funny aint it?

You know what else is funny?

That time i fucked your mother in the ass.

she lovesssssssssssssssssss the cock :wub:

Now now boys, get along.

Hm .. now I think i'm going to wait for a while before I decide to get breast implants.

Hm .. now I think i'm going to wait for a while before I decide to get breast implants.

Kanmi, in the spirit of this scar messageboard, why don't you post some pictures and us guys can decide whether you need to or not. :lol: It would certainly make a refreshing change to the usual "I've got a pin-sized red mark / microscopic scar that has runied my life" type picture posts that so many seem to post.

Marino, I have never heard of anybody's limb growing back once its gone or growing back as a lizard's scaly limb if thats what you were meaning. Why you would write such a thing I don't know.

As for juvista, I wouldn't start thinking that this is going to give you a peaches and cream complexion. It should do what it says it does. It drammaticially reduces scarring at a wound site (e.g fresh scalpel wound). It will be interesting to see if when an acne scar is excised and the wound treated to some juvista, how good the final healing is. I don't have the answers. If you got in touch with Renovo perhaps they could tell you.

Kanmi, in the spirit of this scar messageboard, why don't you post some pictures and us guys can decide whether you need to or not. :lol: It would certainly make a refreshing change to the usual "I've got a pin-sized red mark / microscopic scar that has runied my life" type picture posts that so many seem to post.

Man, Are you retarded or what???

Let's focus on scars treatments and keep those stupid comments to yourself.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I agree with you. I was just in a goofy mood this morning. Apologies to everyone.

Well maybe not as retarded as somebody who would do their own TCA peel and surprise, surprise, screw their skin......

........... but thats just my opinion.

I'm not sure if this would help with acne scarring or even prevent it. Acne scars don't have scar tissue in them, they are just where the swelling ruined the tissue there. It's just an absence of tissue.

There already exists drugs to take down inflamation, but they don't seem to use them on people with acne. I wonder why that is?

I think this new drug would be geared more towards people who are about to have surgery or after a burn or accident.

i think stem cells are probably our best hope but i dont look to see it until im old and grey. :cry:

I think the part about the healing would means if we excise the scars no linear scars. So which means we can keep excising until all the scars disappear. Ice pick suposed to be the worst to treat now seems the easiest.

Yeah, I'm sorry. I agree with you. I was just in a goofy mood this morning. Apologies to everyone.

Well maybe not as retarded as somebody who would do their own TCA peel and surprise, surprise, screw their skin......

........... but thats just my opinion.

It only shows me that you are a total moron and stupid A.H . If we start judging our actions I would say: " Well maybe not as retarted as somebody who went on accutane and surprise, surprise, F...ck their skin"

Hey dude-why-do-i-havescars?

Don't even pay attention to that A.H. He's full of S***T. On this thread he calls you retarded because you've done yourself a tca peel, but on other threads he has suggested the use of "high-concentration"- tca solution" for "do-it-yourself" procedures!!. So he's the biggest retarded. He contradicts himself a lot. He loves being an idiot. And we cannot change that.

When somebody comes up with something new to this board, he starts fighting and calling that person names, but when he posts something stupid he says: "oops, I was a little goofy this morning". I think he should add that phrase to all of his posts. But he would have to modify it a little, something like: " oops, I've been a big-time-idiot all my life"

Acne scars don't have scar tissue in them, they are just where the swelling ruined the tissue there. It's just an absence of tissue.

Well there is a scar there as the hair follicle gets replaced by scar tissue. However what you are saying is true. I once enquired of Dr Chu why scars are indented and he told me that the principle reason is that collagen where the inflammation of the spot is becomes destroyed. The scar forms round the hair follicle and the scar literally falls its own hole that is has created for itself from the loss of collagen. I hope that makes sense.

That is why isolagen is good. You need to start thickening that dermis up with collagen again and the scar will elevate to the surface as it should have been in the first place if there hadn't been a destruction of collagen. This happened with my less deep scars (1mm - 1.5 mm). However the deeper ones attached to fat weren't so successful. However money being no object, I'm sure that repeated subcisions with isolagen would give the best improvement you are going to get at the moment with acne scars.

There already exists drugs to take down inflamation, but they don't seem to use them on people with acne. I wonder why that is?

I have wondered why there isn't more effective medication for acne inflammation. I mean I occassionally get a nasty bout of excema. My steroid cream totally gets rid of the inflammation response in less than 24 hours. I should try this on a zit the next time I get one. However the Dermalux lamp keeps my acne so well under control that I don't know when the next time will be that I get a zit.

I think this new drug would be geared more towards people who are about to have surgery or after a burn or accident.

Some clinical trials of juvista were for scar removal.

i think stem cells are probably our best hope but i dont look to see it until im old and grey

People often say this but even if you can grow new skin, you still have to attach it to the old without a scar. Maybe that is where the juvista technology could come in. I don't know. People already have successful punch grafts from behind the ear so I don't really see the need for stem cell technology.

Ice pick suposed to be the worst to treat now seems the easiest.

Derms always say that ice picks are the hardest to treat but from what I've seen they are the easiest. Punch excision. Tiny scar that in most cases fades and is totally unnoticable. Sorted.

But is it not possible to buy one of these miracle creams yet? Is this the first company developing them?

They do use them on people with acne. The principle drug that got rid of the really bad outbreak I had that gave me the scars was prednisone, but my outbreak was partially allergic. My neighbor also had prednisone prescribed to him for cystic acne, though, and his was not related to any allergies. It's a pretty good way to treat it, because the swelling and redness is gone within a few days, and then it's just a matter of clearing up normal sized little pimples.

Will this also mean that dermabrasion can be done much deeper and then not leave any scars due to delayed healing?This could lead to new methods of scar removal.

Will this also mean that dermabrasion can be done much deeper and then not leave any scars due to delayed healing?This could lead to new methods of scar removal.

Not, yet and probably not in the near future, but in 10-15 years I guess: yes

I'll probably do embryos thing in a month time, and am not sure how will it work, but will post pictures before and after if there is any improvement.