Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C-S

don't know if you know about this...

Jessica, any results with your Dermastyle pen?

this thing is AWESOME! one of the neatest inventions ever.

It most noticeably affects individual pimples-I had a bunch that popped up when I used some awful hydrocortisone cream with iropropyl myristate in it. the pen works just like in the videos at www.lumiport.com, some of you have probably seen them or at least the one on CNN.. I like using it so much I set up an adidas visor so I "Dermastyle" all around the house lol.

IPB Image

You know it's kind of funny, when I first saw the post about Lumiport, and visited the site, I was very skeptical because I thought it sounded too good to be true. A little pen that shrinks acne to nothing in about three days or less. I remember posting something like "Right. the Dermastyle?! So what are we going to do, style that acne right out of our skin? :eh: "

however I was pm'd by a rep and was impressed with his courtesy and professionalism in explaining the company and their belief in the product. I deleted my comments and eventually decided I had to try it for myself..and I'm continually amazed at all the "light boxes" and things like that where people are using it for months without really knowing if they are getting results. I'm going to put up pictures but in the meantime, just know that for only 150$ you get a device that can shrink your pimples within 10 minutes, and for me it looks like I've had an entire NIGHT of healing in just one 10 minute treatment. After 10 minutes, the blemish is not red anymore, it has visibly shrunk, and there is usually a small layer of dead skin that can be peeled off-like an instantly formed scab made up of dead bacteria I'm thinking. I can post pics of this because I think it's a really interesting phenomenon that I'd like to know more about..

But this thing is just great. Lumiport has fantastic customer service and an even better product. I would highly recommend it to everyone who can afford to spend 150$ on something that imo may change your life. When you have the ability to heal your own acne in such a shorter period of time-and when you see these kinds of results in ten minutes, I mean come on! It really makes me feel like I have major control over the situation-like my skin isn't just under attack by acne. It's very empowering and I feel like this could give real hope and encouraging results to people that are tired of waiting and hoping for the creams and washes to work.

The dermastyle pen has 3 settings and is really easy to use. It has blue, for bacteria...red, for the same kind of healing frequency that the army uses to promote healing time...and the blue/red combination that's been proven superior to the overall, diffused light box things (from what I've reserached anyway). When you use both the red and blue light, it not only kills bacteria but it also causes the skin to begin healing-and using it condenses the healing light's range into a 1 CM large circle, sort of like a conical marble extending from the pen. You can either treat individual spots or you can treat areas to prevent acne.

It's so rad I even put it in my siggy :wub:

Thanks Jess! That certainly gives me more hope as I wait for my delivery. I've been recently plagued with hormonal breakouts on my chin (painful red cystic ones) and I was wondering if you found the pen more efficient if you caught the pimple right at its onset or when its already come to head. Also, do you hold the pen against your skin or at a distance? THanks!!

This looks really cool. Almost too good to be true. But it is risk free, so I ordered one, and I will tell you how it works when it arrives -

Click Here for the Video

And here for the product website

Yeah if this really works.... :shock: :D

I used somthing much the same many, many years ago. The one i used was based on infra-red light I think.

Apparently certain wave lenghts of light can kill bacteria etc, so I would think this is what this new pen does.

All you can do is try it and see how you get on, good luck!!!

Thanks Jess! That certainly gives me more hope as I wait for my delivery. I've been recently plagued with hormonal breakouts on my chin (painful red cystic ones) and I was wondering if you found the pen more efficient if you caught the pimple right at its onset or when its already come to head. Also, do you hold the pen against your skin or at a distance? THanks!!

thanks dollbird I'm happy to help. I was wondering this myself about whether the pen is more effective to use against the blemish or a bit further away... I was just sort of confused because the instructions seemed to indicate that you hold it to the skin when preventing acne, but lift it up and keep it less than 1 cm away when using it on infected areas. I can see the little bacteria glowing distinctly under the pen's light when I have it over a broken out spot. It's very neat actually. when I'm done holding the pen against it, the bacteria visibly shrinks and if it's a small spot, sometimes it appears to be completely gone-ie not glowing.

It would seem to me that if one had a cyst, that it might be good to use the pen closer to the blemish as possible so that the light could penetrate into the cyst to kill the bacteria and inflammation...but I'm kind of clueless about how it works, and I'm notorious for misinterpreting instruction booklets :redface: so maybe Lumiport can help us out with your question.

with that being said I think I may not be using the pen correctly when I try to prevent blemishes because I'm not really sure what the best position to do that is. My main question is, if you feel one coming on but it hasn't gotten bad yet, do you hold the pen against it or hold it within 1 cm or less, for more effectiveness? also, when using it on active acne, which distance is most effective-holding directly against the blemish, or lifting it up slightly.

2 Questions:

1) After a pimple has been treated and goes away does it leave a red mark of the same appearance as without the use of this pen????????????

2) I want to continue with my BP treatment will it work as well if i use it after a shower when my skin is free from the BP then apply it after??????/

thanks for your help

PS. I just ordered one, im surprised more people arn't posting on this one!

I've read the posts and quite a few people have bought this but havn't revealed the progress......maybe they got clear and don't want to come on here any more.

Hey, to try and answer your (#1) question Sgt, when I used it on a pimple it immediately causes the outer layer to dry up and develop a thin layer of dead skin that can be peeled off (but I usually leave it so it just falls off quickly) and then by the next day, it's generally almost flat and pink. the third day it will have begun to fade to normal skin color and by the 4th or 5th day it's generally gone without a trace.

The thing is, when you have a pimple and you can prevent the amount of time it stays on your face, you are going to shorten the duration of any red mark it might cause. I once had a cyst that lasted for 8 months, and it left a red mark for longer than 5 years :evil: just to give you an idea of the way acne can leave its mark the longer it sits on your face (this thing was the size of a huge marble and infected in several places.)

I don't get cysts like that anymore, but the acne I get now might leave a brief red mark if it didn't heal so quickly. When you have a pimple that can be treated and faded within days, it will not leave a red mark the same as a pimple that lasted for weeks or months. You know how someone with great skin will break out with a zit, and then 3 days later you couldn't find that zit on them to save your life, because it was so tiny and small and began to disappear almost as soon as it showed up? Well, that's what this device seems to offer-a greatly increased rate of healing so that you don't risk the chance of acne sticking around long enough to leave its 'mark'.

also, #2: as long as you wash off the bp before using the device, and have a clean face, you should have optimal results. I think your plan sounds good-I would recommend that if time permits for you, that you should use it both in the morning after cleansing, and also in the evening. Using twice per day will give you accelerated results, and that's what Lumiport recommends.

thanks for your reply jess. hows it going for you? is it worth every cent?

one more question;

Do you still pop your pimples? because done correctly it can be effective, will the light be effective on a popped pimple?........

The thing with this product is that due to its size it cannot prevent acne from forming in the first place so it really never goes away, if the same product covered the whole face with the light it may stop spots in the early stages that you don't notice before its too late and have to deal with the red left overs.

Here's a link to a product that would be time saving and i think more effective, i don't know, this one is double the price tho

http://www.androv-medical.com/product.php/22/1/

they even have before and after pictures of the staff!

Hey sgt, thanks for the info. I took a look @ the picture and wasn't too impressed with the results-that man's acne looks more like ingrown hairs from shaving mostly imo.

Personally, I am able to prevent most acne by a gentle regimen of brush exfoliation. I used some hydrocortisone cream and broke out in cysts-that was when I ordered the lumiport pen. I think that it is effective in preventing acne, because you can use it all over to spot treat areas without difficulty.

I can completely understand your position on popping, but afraid I'll have to respectfully disagree with the issue-I used to be a popper (didn't we all lol) and I thought I was helping my skin heal faster. the thing I didn't realize is that when you pop, you are undoubtedly, without question going to make new zits grow in that same area, no matter how carefully you pop. pimples are filled with infectious, acne-causing, contagious to your own skin liquid-I have seen this in my photos time after time, where a pimple I popped caused a cluster of new 'friends' nearby. within 2-4 weeks without fail. there is no doubt in my mind that this unwelcome phenomenon occurs. no matter how much precaution you use, you just simply cannot prevent some of that HIGHLY infectious liquid from spilling nearby. it's not a mistake that we wind up with zits in the same area, or a zits that grow together in clumps, or zits thta come up in the exact same spot year after year. when you pop you release the infection, cuasing it to spread to the surrounding cells and there it attaches, and becomes new zits. Sometimes perpetual ones like the original offender.

It's been my experience that the only way to get clear 100% is to never pop your zits. I know that can be real difficult and sometimes impossible for the ones that get really huge and pussy but if you're able to shorten the duration of the acne, I think that helps significantly.

With larger light acne systems, I'm pretty sure you need to do it consistently for months before seeing real results, and are unable to spot treat. With the pen, if you feel one starting to come up, you use it and can sometimes even prevent it from surfacing. if it does, it should be much smaller, and heal without requiring popping. the pen destroys the bacteria and inflammation @ the same time (the red/blue frequency) so that should enhance your chances of the pimple disappearing without needing to be popped.

however, if you want to use the pen on a zit that popped, that's actually a REALLY good idea because you can hopefully destroy some of that contagious bacteria that's spread. I'd think that then pen would be comparably more effective as the pen's power is concentrated and stronger than overall, diffused larger light boxes, which can take a lot longer to have an effect. The pen puts zit-killing power in your hand. it doesn't make you sit around looking into some box hoping that after 2-3 months you might start to see an overall clearing. For those of us with acne, the difference in time and waiting for results is enormous. I can generally tell wherever I have bacteria on my skin as it's illuminated in a slightly brighter mass (such as inside blemishes or on my chin) compared to unblemished skin.

If people realized that when they pop they are actually ensuring that the acne cycle would continue, I think they would be as paranoid about popping as I am. I do everything in my power to prevent a zit from poping after it comes up until it goes down...it is sooooo important I cannot stress it enough. I promise I know what I'm talking about...I also know how hard it is to keep from popping. if I had a dollar for every one I popped in the past I could probably afford accutane out of pocket lol.

I think this product is worth much more than they charge for it, after seeing what it does for my skin. I'm really excited about the technology- it seems extremely promising.

so how does it work really....u have to use each light one at a time or altogether?????

can u find this in stores or just online?

Does the pen help with redmarks, Jess?

Well, I don't generally have a problem with red marks as long as I use neosporin cream, so I can't really give any experience regarding that. There may be some other users who could advise tho, I'd think. sorry I can't help out. The pen does increase the healing time and so the spot is on my face for less time. that appears to affect whether it leaves a red mark and for how long..

so how does it work really....u have to use each light one at a time or altogether?????

can u find this in stores or just online?

Dannie, I think for information on ordering the rep said to send a pm to Lumiport on the board. since it's a new product I'm pretty sure they don't have them in stores yet..I could always be wrong..but mine got here pretty fast. I received the email that my package was shipped that same day, and then received it right after that. they had it sent and it arrived immediately.

I was sort of to get it because I just had a good feeling for some reason, so I was glad when it came so quickly. I've read some encouraging studies within the last 5 years regarding phototherapy and acne. when I had some microdermabrasion treatments for acne (which btw did nothing) they also threw in some clear light treatments (3 for 75 each) and they all lasted 15 minutes. 75 bucks for 15 mintes is kinda steep imo and from what I hear, that may be low for some areas with the clear light acne treatment.

when I asked my esthetician about the pricing and the effectiveness, since the studies I cited exposed the patients to the clear light for ten minutes, three times per week, for a duration of several weeks. I was getting 3 little 15 minute pops that were spaced one month apart. simply put, I feel those treatments are a rip-off and this pen offers such a great value plus you can control the areas you use it on, and actually see the difference -and with my skin it's literally within 10 minutes, I see a dramatic difference! I hope everyone orders this if they can because I'd love to see how other people fare on it too :think:

You get some optimally effective level of the clear blue light treatment for killing bacteria in the Blue wavelength-the Red has the special red wavelength that the army uses to accelerate wound healing-and the blue/red frequency combines the two but doesn't reduce the effectiveness of each by half-they are both still very strong in combination although I don't know much more about, except that it works lol :)

oh thanks jess''

so its all 3 lights combined together...maybe i should order one and have it sent to texas..since im goin there on tuesday for a month.....

hmmm

Jess,

So, here's my situation: my acne is mild (mostly on my forehead, a few bumps along my jawline that haven't come up to the surface yet) but extremely annoying (which I'm sure you can relate to lol) and kind of itchy. Right now I'm using a zinc based product, but I'm not sure if it's working or not. The Lumiport sounds great, and I'm seriously thinking about ordering one. The thing is though, it *is* 150 dollars, and seeing as how I'm almost nineteen and have no money of my own lol I'd have to rely on my parents for funding. Now, we've ordered *a lot* of products for this over the internet (including Proactiv and Murad- which should be outlawed in my own humble opinion), and they've cost us a decent amount of cash. Actually, a lot of it is coming out of my social security checks which are supposed to be helping to cover my medical bills. But I've heard a lot of good things about the Lumiport and it has some extra clout seeing as how it was featured on CNN. Now, I'm going into the hospital for surgery in twelve days. My grandmother said she'll get me "something special" as a get well soon present. I was kind of leaning toward a Gucci bag lol but this would obviously be more beneficial to me- if it works. So I'd like to suggest this instead. Do you *really* think this will work for me, as my acne is more than likely hormonal, but I'm hoping it could help tame the breakouts until I (hopefully) go on the pill. Because I'm tired of sitting around the house while everyone else is out and enjoying the warm weather because of this stupid condition. So, would you recommend it for me?

Also, do you know if it works on whiteheads? 'Cause that's my main problem.

Thanks in advance!

it seems like it can work on any type of acne thats inflammed. still no email from them about my order, might have to do some pestering.

Sgt Pepper, I think they are only opened on weekdays. I called them today but no one answered. So you should get a reply on Monday.

Their rep on acne.org (Lumiport) said that they will have a new product that can treat a lot more pimples instead of individual pimples by the end of April.

When will this product be released?

So if anyone asked about this and got a reply, post it here. Otherwise, I'm going to call them on Monday.

I'm really looking forward to the release of this new product. I want to use it to maintain the results I will get from Omnilux.

Ok, so my grandmother's going to order the Lumiport for me. She'll probably call them up on Monday if they're not there today. I'm keeping my fingers tightly crossed in hopes that it will work!

Jess,

So, here's my situation: my acne is mild (mostly on my forehead, a few bumps along my jawline that haven't come up to the surface yet) but extremely annoying (which I'm sure you can relate to lol) and kind of itchy. Right now I'm using a zinc based product, but I'm not sure if it's working or not. The Lumiport sounds great, and I'm seriously thinking about ordering one. The thing is though, it *is* 150 dollars, and seeing as how I'm almost nineteen and have no money of my own lol I'd have to rely on my parents for funding. Now, we've ordered *a lot* of products for this over the internet (including Proactiv and Murad- which should be outlawed in my own humble opinion), and they've cost us a decent amount of cash. Actually, a lot of it is coming out of my social security checks which are supposed to be helping to cover my medical bills. But I've heard a lot of good things about the Lumiport and it has some extra clout seeing as how it was featured on CNN. Now, I'm going into the hospital for surgery in twelve days. My grandmother said she'll get me "something special" as a get well soon present. I was kind of leaning toward a Gucci bag lol but this would obviously be more beneficial to me- if it works. So I'd like to suggest this instead. Do you *really* think this will work for me, as my acne is more than likely hormonal, but I'm hoping it could help tame the breakouts until I (hopefully) go on the pill. Because I'm tired of sitting around the house while everyone else is out and enjoying the warm weather because of this stupid condition. So, would you recommend it for me?

Thanks in advance!

Hey, it sounds like you have a really awesome family supporting you! that's so wonderful ....since you're going in for surgery, I'll be praying for you :pray: and I hope it goes perfectly. You know, after reviewing your situation I would defintitely recommend it for you for a number of reasons....

number one, you said your acne is mainly hormonal with breakouts on your forehead, and sometimes on your jawline. Since you're able to isolate the problem areas, you know exactly the places to treat to prevent new acne, and you also have a relatively small area to treat for the ones that do come up. So you could hypothetically have even better results than people with acne all over, since your treatment area is relatively smaller.

number two, you mentioned whiteheads, which are clogged pores that are closed (unlike blackheads which are opened) and whiteheads are generally the end of the life cycle of a pimple (for me at least.) If you treat problem areas with the pen, you should be able to hurry the process of acne turning into a whitehead, then if you treat that area with the pen, you should see that white speck dry up and die, and turn into a little white flake (which you should let fall off on its own instead of peeling it, and it should fall off pretty fast) instead of a whitehead. What the pen should do for current whiteheads is destroy the bacteria causing that infection. With whiteheads, you want to be so careful about popping them-otherwise you may never get rid of all acne and keep re-infecting the skin with that contagious popped liquid. Using the pen should minimise healing time and heal your whiteheads quickly. Be cautious to wipe the pen's head with the little rubbing alcohol pads they include (so convenience, and you can buy them in bulk @ the drugstore) to prevent bacteria transmitting from whitehead to whitehead, when you treat. You want to wipe the pen down in between each use...that means in between using it on two different areas. so..you could treat a spot on your chin for 10 minutes, wipe it down, then be OK to treat a spot on your forehead.

third, since you may want to forgo the bag for the pen, I wondered if you think you might be able to take advantage of the pen while you're in the hospital, at least for some of the time you're in the hospital? I think that being able to watch your acne disintegrate, lose any redness, shrink, and begin to heal asap, would be one of the best 'get well soon' presents EVER lol. If you anticipate just laying around in bed all day, that would actually be the ideal environment to begin using the pen-just set up a mirror and start dermastylin, hehehe. I just can't stress enough how cool it is and how fascinating it is to use this product. I'm a bit weird but I get into space-age tech gadgets, and since this one literally puts the power of one night's healing time, within each 10 minute treatment, I never seem to get bored just watching it work...

good luck!!

Jess,

Thanks in advance!

Hey, it sounds like you have a really awesome family supporting you! that's so wonderful ....since you're going in for surgery, I'll be praying for you :pray: and I hope it goes perfectly. You know, after reviewing your situation I would defintitely recommend it for you for a number of reasons....

number one, you said your acne is mainly hormonal with breakouts on your forehead, and sometimes on your jawline. Since you're able to isolate the problem areas, you know exactly the places to treat to prevent new acne, and you also have a relatively small area to treat for the ones that do come up. So you could hypothetically have even better results than people with acne all over, since your treatment area is relatively smaller.

number two, you mentioned whiteheads, which are clogged pores that are closed (unlike blackheads which are opened) and whiteheads are generally the end of the life cycle of a pimple (for me at least.) If you treat problem areas with the pen, you should be able to hurry the process of acne turning into a whitehead, then if you treat that area with the pen, you should see that white speck dry up and die, and turn into a little white flake (which you should let fall off on its own instead of peeling it, and it should fall off pretty fast) instead of a whitehead. What the pen should do for current whiteheads is destroy the bacteria causing that infection. With whiteheads, you want to be so careful about popping them-otherwise you may never get rid of all acne and keep re-infecting the skin with that contagious popped liquid. Using the pen should minimise healing time and heal your whiteheads quickly. Be cautious to wipe the pen's head with the little rubbing alcohol pads they include (so convenience, and you can buy them in bulk @ the drugstore) to prevent bacteria transmitting from whitehead to whitehead, when you treat. You want to wipe the pen down in between each use...that means in between using it on two different areas. so..you could treat a spot on your chin for 10 minutes, wipe it down, then be OK to treat a spot on your forehead.

third, since you may want to forgo the bag for the pen, I wondered if you think you might be able to take advantage of the pen while you're in the hospital, at least for some of the time you're in the hospital? I think that being able to watch your acne disintegrate, lose any redness, shrink, and begin to heal asap, would be one of the best 'get well soon' presents EVER lol. If you anticipate just laying around in bed all day, that would actually be the ideal environment to begin using the pen-just set up a mirror and start dermastylin, hehehe. I just can't stress enough how cool it is and how fascinating it is to use this product. I'm a bit weird but I get into space-age tech gadgets, and since this one literally puts the power of one night's healing time, within each 10 minute treatment, I never seem to get bored just watching it work...

good luck!!

Great, thanks Jess! I'm cautiously hopeful now. :pray:

Per using the DermaStyle while I'm in the hospital: I think that'd be great. In fact, that's how I managed to get my grandmother to agree to get it for me lol. The other thing is, my doctor is going to put me on anti-inflammatory steroids to keep swelling down for a bit after the surgery (this'll be the fourth time this year that I'll be on them; can't say I'm looking forward to it :dry:) so I'm going to have to consult with a dermatologist while I'm hospitalized to see what he thinks about using it while I'm under attack from the dreaded steroid-induced breakout- if it'll just exacerbate it or not. But I'll have to see.

Ah, and you don't have to worry about popping pimples with me lol. I *never* pop them; I'm too afraid it'll scar and/or spread. In this instance, my paranoia is workin' for me lol.

And yes, it *would* most definitely be the best get well present ever if my skin got relatively clear by early summer. My birthday is June 2, and my original goal was to be clear by then, but since I'll have to be put on steroids, I'm not sure if that particular goal is feasable anymore lol. So I'm going for early July instead, maybe by Independence Day to be noticably clearer. I'm really hoping the Lumiport helps me with that. But I'm seeing my gynecologist on Monday, and she'll more than likely recommend I go on birth control anyway since my system is all messed up but I won't be able to start them until after my surgery and after I consult my neurologist first. And I know it can take months before you start to see any results from the pill, and honestly, I'm getting *really* impatient and I don't want to sit around the house all summer obsessively checking mirrors to see if the BC pill has kicked in yet! lol.

Thanks again for the quick response. I'm really praying now that it'll work (not that I haven't been praying every night for the past month but, hey, prayer combined with technology must be more effective! :))

but, hey, prayer combined with technology must be more effective! :)

^ too true Cleo :D Your grandma and whole family seem like a real blessing.

your attitude is so uplifting-it sounds like you're going thru a LOT for such a young age but handling it beautifully!!! I was on orth tri cyclen for a couple of years and it really did clear me up 100%, but :doh: I could never remember to take my tiny pill every month without missing one or two days-then u have to throw the whole pack away, wait until the next month, and then one more month before it starts working. however, it sound like you'd be able to handle taking one pill every day lol.

since the pills do take a couple of months or so to kick in, I think you'll be really pleased with the acne pen's results because it is so much quicker.

:wall::wall:

but, hey, prayer combined with technology must be more effective! :)

^ too true Cleo :D Your grandma and whole family seem like a real blessing.

your attitude is so uplifting-it sounds like you're going thru a LOT for such a young age but handling it beautifully!!! I was on orth tri cyclen for a couple of years and it really did clear me up 100%, but :doh: I could never remember to take my tiny pill every month without missing one or two days-then u have to throw the whole pack away, wait until the next month, and then one more month before it starts working. however, it sound like you'd be able to handle taking one pill every day lol.

since the pills do take a couple of months or so to kick in, I think you'll be really pleased with the acne pen's results because it is so much quicker.

can u use this with makeup on and hoe many times in a day can u use it

idunno now if i itsbetter to wait for the new product to come out if it helps more pimples..

You should wash with a gentle cleanser before using it, and I have no idea when the new product will come out and they don't either-anything new is still being developed, but they're working on something to make it more powerful at least. If you're interested I wouldn't wait because this model is already so popular they could sell it for a long time imo, I know they sold out of the first model because a lot of my friends wanted to get one after I IMed about it and sent them some pics. so it could be like 3 years until they have another version or something and it's hard to say where I'll be in 3 years with my skin...I mean if you want to try it out they have a money back guarantee and all but I doubt anyone would send this back lol.

I think you'll be ready to take on the campus in no time Cleo... you know you can also earn the equivalent of a 2 year college education just by listening to audiotapes and books, right? I :wub: listening to all kinds of stuff on my mp3 player-I hope u have one of those as well ;)