Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
C-S

don't know if you know about this...

Yeah that's what I thought too. I'm in the UK and not particularly impressed with the returns policy!

Does anyone else have results they can post? Anyone who's already posted care to elaborate on the results they've had?

While then pen won't make your acne worse, unless you don't clean it after moving from one spot to another It really does not improve either.

I had a huge pimple on my shoulder about a week ago so i brought out the pen again and used it for about 15 minutes. 0 Results. I can't even send it back anymore. Oh well just another product to waste your money on in the giant scheme of acne treatments.

I guess it works for some, but not for others.

Well now that i've read some more, I am going to try one more time with alternating lights for about 1 hour throughout the day and see if it improves by tomorrow.

but someone's reported having to pay a 10% restocking charge.

Re-stocking fee? So they re-package a USED pen & re-sell it?!!!!!!!

Is that even hygienic?!!!!!!!!!!! EWWWWWW!!!

I know it has been brought up already, but I have not seen any straight forward, clear answrs:

Does this thing PREVENT acne or only treat current outbreaks?

From what I've read, it seems like it only works to heal a pimple faster, not prevent them from starting to begin with...

Also it seems it is not easy to use when acne is not concentrated in one area (?)

For instance I get it scattered blemishes throughout my t-zone & around my mouth a lot, but not on my forehead much. It seems like it would take a alot of time to use the pen over all of these areas, twice a day (and who has time for that? The CSR takes long enough...)

I think the pen is mainly used for preventing a pimple from getting worse (when one is very small and starting to develop).

That's when it works best for me. As for a very large pimple, I have doubts that it'll work.

My t-zone (I think thats what ppl call it, the area between eyes and nose bridge) & my nose used to have breaking out pimples (i don't use BP on those places), so I just use my pen, gradually you'll see results. I'm quite satisfied (the area used to have pimples clustered together, so it makes it easy to use 10mins just to cover whole area)

If you don't have time, I really think this product would probably not be for you. As using pen on 1 spot for 10 then moving to another for 10 will take a while.

My modified regimen is pretty cool, if I do happen to get a pimple, it disappears pretty fast.

Good luck with finding what works best guys! =]

I received an e-mail from lumiport today regarding recalls on their product:

Lumiport is Recalling Your DermaStyle

Lumiport has identified potential safety and performance issues associated with certain chargers and batteries in the DermaStyle. In cooperation with the Food & Drug Administration, Lumiport is voluntarily recalling certain affected systems. Under rare circumstances, it is possible for these chargers to cause the internal battery to overheat, catch fire, or in extreme cases cause the battery to explode.

Potentially affected systems were sold between January 1, 2006 and July 25, 2006.

Our records show that your system is affected by this recall and will be replaced for you free of charge. Systems that are affected will state "500mA" on the charger's label.

Did anybody else receive this?

I received an e-mail from lumiport today regarding recalls on their product:

Lumiport is Recalling Your DermaStyle

Lumiport has identified potential safety and performance issues associated with certain chargers and batteries in the DermaStyle. In cooperation with the Food & Drug Administration, Lumiport is voluntarily recalling certain affected systems. Under rare circumstances, it is possible for these chargers to cause the internal battery to overheat, catch fire, or in extreme cases cause the battery to explode.

Potentially affected systems were sold between January 1, 2006 and July 25, 2006.

Our records show that your system is affected by this recall and will be replaced for you free of charge. Systems that are affected will state "500mA" on the charger's label.

Did anybody else receive this?

Yes, I got that message today. I remember a thread someone made here claiming their pen exploded like the message described.

BTW, can a mod move this thread to the Light Therapy forum now that is exists

I'm moving this thread to the light/laser therapy forum.

I haven't posted on this thread for a while because although the pen does help, my acne needed something stronger because I was breaking out all over the place. My dermatologist put me on Accutane and I've been on it for a little over a week... just wanted to give people an update. My acne seems to be healing really quickly on its own, and I've been using the blue light from the pen on certain bad areas (like my chin and jawline) to try and kill bacteria. I'm hoping to see if I can help my skin to avoid an initial accutane breakout :)

Be sure to wipe the pen down between EACH use! Like each 10 minute use! If you don't then the bacteria can easily spread to surrounding areas from the infected spot you just used it on. It seems to be a similar kind of risk compared to popping pimples or touching your spots and then touching the rest of your face. I don't know why but acne spreads easily :doh: but if you carefully wipe down the pen after every 10 minute use you should have no problems.

Iam thinking to get it and see if it works for my few pimples that i get here and there , and specially its risk free so what am i going to lose? would try and see.., wont know until i try i guess.

Question though , does it treat whiteheads too? i get those sometimes and i would like to know.., i have this ZENO thing and it works okay , but i think this pen will be stronger , and ZENO doesnt really work on white heads and makes it worse if i tried to (but i dont anyways) , so hope this one does.

I'm probably the only idiot out there who's done this, but I have been using this for a month or two now and I just now realized that I have been using it with the rubber tip still on the pen. I thought that the rubber tip was permanently affixed to the pen...apparently it's not. Anyway, just a heads up to those who might be incorrectly using it like i was...

Hi everyone. I am seriously considering purchasing this as a supplement to my regimen. Currently using Tretinoin (Retin-a), Duac, and glycolic products. Since the dermastyle is just visible light, I imagine I'd be fine, but am curious as to whether other folks have used this while on those or similar medications, or if there is some warning that I don't know about. I know to do it when my face is clean and that the Lumiport guy didn't seem totally keen on using it with BP, but wanted to throw the question out to the group.

You can use it on a clean face while you're using those products, but I wouldn't use the dermastyle while you have anything applied to your skin. I think GTO a while back mentioned that agents like BP can increase photosensitivity and you could wind up with an adverse reaction.. I just rinse with cool water before I use the dermastyle and re-apply moisturiser afterwards..

Thanks Jess. The Lumiport guy stressed that it wasn't UV, so I think I'd be in the clear, since the photosensitivity is just for UV light (looks like UVA in particular...). Unless I am totally wrong, which has been known to happen :)

Edit: Zelio, I read about that, but it seems that it was only the ones sold during a certain time period. Since I am thinking of buying one tonight, I am not too worried, plus I will look for the little indicator (500ah or something) that was on the battery of the recalled units just to be sure.

No problem. I'd think that if it doesn't seem to hamper the pen's effectiveness, then it's probably much more convenient to use the pen without having to wash everything off beforehand. Let us know how it goes :)

About the recalled pens, that's what I had heard as well-I'm pretty sure they've come out with the new model and would send that one out. If you're placing an order nowadays, then the pen should be fine. Anyone that had problems with the other ones should be able to get the newer model in exchange I'd think, or a refund..

Did you try sending the pen back, Zelio?

Okay, I ordered one. Ack, I'm a little nervous, because I also have a Zeno and that's been decent but not great and I don't want to waste more money. I didn't order it from Lumiport, bought it off drugstore.com for $100! Yay! I don't think I'll be able to use the guarantee in that case, but it was worth it for me to save the $50 (plus any restocking and shipping fees) if I bought it through Lumiport and didn't like it. I hope I'm not in the 10% of people that doesn't respond to light therapy though. Anyway, I won't use it while I have other products on my face, I just hope that the fact that I use the products in general won't be a problem. I'll post my thoughts on here to help others that may be thinking of purchasing this product.

I think it's probably best if you use it without products on your face, as you mentioned-but I'm about certain that there are no contraindications with using other products on your face while you're not using the dermastyle. Using BP or other topicals in your daily regimen should not keep you from getting results...the only concern I had was if you tried using the pen while you still had topicals applied-that seems like it could diminish the light therapy.

I just ordered it ! it might arrive in 2 or 3 days :) ! Iam excited and hopefully this will be something that will make my life easier and better and also better than the ZENO i have.

question..is there by any chance makes my acne worse before it gets better..iam really worried about that. :confused:

Hi Cherry,

I think you'll really love the Dermastyle-from what I've heard, the Zeno doesn't always give visible results and it only works on existing acne. The Dermastyle can be used on the blue setting to prevent acne in areas that you're prone (with me, my chin for instance) and it seems to work on acne in all types of stages.

In response to your question about it making acne worse...I think I can help a bit here. I've been using it for quite some time now. When I had several cysts on my chin, I was using the Dermastyle and not really keeping it in once place like you're supposed to-I was moving it all around my chin trying to hit several spots at once, and making contact with my skin. Now, I don't know if it had anything to do with the pen, but I think I may have moved bacteria around on my chin from cysts and possibly even spread the infectious bacteria around, since I wound up with cysts in several places. It's very likely that I would have broken out with those cysts anyways, but I couldn't help but wonder if moving the pen around on my face contributed to it. Since then, I've kept the pen in one spot when I use, and tried to make minimal contact with the spot if possible. (Have had no problems since) As long as you clean the pen diligently with rubbing alcohol wipes or a cloth (you can usually buy indiv swabs of rubbing alcohol, a box of 200 for around 2$ at drugstores) you shouldn't have to worry about spreading bacteria.

As I mentioned, I don't really know if the pen had anything to do with it-my gut tells me that just using my finger or something, and touching it to all my cysts and moving it around on my face, would do the exact same thing. (You know how Derms say "Don't touch your acne?") Acne spreads too easily... as anyone knows if they ever popped and wound up with a cluster of 'little friends' nearby. :razz: I'm confident that if you kept the pen confined to one spot during each 10 min treatment, then cleaned it in between using on each spot, then you eliminate the risk of the pen making acne worse. I can't really fathom this device exacerbating acne without dragging it around on your face from on areas that are already broken out.

I hope this made sense and if it's confusing, I'll try to explain a little better...it's just my thoughts on the subject after having used the pen since the beginning of this year. When it comes to preventing new acne, it's better to be safe than sorry, so it's a valid concern that I can definitely relate to! A lot of topicals and prescriptions tend to make acne worse before it gets better (like Retin-A, Accutane, etc) during the initial 'purging' stage, but since Dermastyle is a spot treatment, it shouldn't cause an initial breakout or worsen acne before it gets better.

I just ordered it ! it might arrive in 2 or 3 days :) ! Iam excited and hopefully this will be something that will make my life easier and better and also better than the ZENO i have.

question..is there by any chance makes my acne worse before it gets better..iam really worried about that. :confused:

Your acne shouldn't get worse as a result of using the DermaStyle unless you have a bad reaction because you are taking/using medication that can cause increased sensitivity to light. If you are taking mecication that causes increased sensitivity to light, please don't use the DermaStyle. Hope the DermaStyle works well for you!

-- The Lumiport Team

No problem. I'd think that if it doesn't seem to hamper the pen's effectiveness, then it's probably much more convenient to use the pen without having to wash everything off beforehand. Let us know how it goes :)

About the recalled pens, that's what I had heard as well-I'm pretty sure they've come out with the new model and would send that one out. If you're placing an order nowadays, then the pen should be fine. Anyone that had problems with the other ones should be able to get the newer model in exchange I'd think, or a refund..

Did you try sending the pen back, Zelio?

As far as the recalled DermaStyles, we have sent out emails to those customers who the recall applies to and the problem had to do with the compatibility of the charger with the battery in the DermaStyle. We actually had very few problems, but there was some overheating and in rare extreme cases exploding. We want to make sure our customers are satisfied and that any problems with this recall are fixed. Please just contact us. Any new DermaStyles being ordered and shipped currently are new and improved with new chargers and the DermaStyles now have heat sensors in them. If you have any questions or concerns, please feel free as always to email us at [email protected] or [email protected]

Thanks,

The Lumiport Team

Your acne shouldn't get worse as a result of using the DermaStyle unless you have a bad reaction because you are taking/using medication that can cause increased sensitivity to light. If you are taking mecication that causes increased sensitivity to light, please don't use the DermaStyle. Hope the DermaStyle works well for you!

-- The Lumiport Team

I use Azelex cream (acid cream) and Rein-a (sp?) cream as well and wash my face with MD for oily skin , will any of that effect my face with using the pen? i have done lazer treatments before while using those meds or is that something different than red/blue light?