Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
(eLLe)

foundation bad for skin???

hmmm, i stumbled upon a poster on another makeup board saying that foundations in general are bad for skin. i remember wearing my mac studio fix everyday for a week cuz i was staying over at a relative's place, i put it on in the mornings and take it off in the evening. i didn't break out or anything, no pimples, but my skin looked so dull and unhealthy. so to cover all this up, i use studio fix again, and my skin looks even worse. it's a vicious cycle. and that was the end of using foundation for me. i've then switched to mineral powders, and it doesn't affect the state of my skin at all. (EDIT: ha, it apparently clogs up my pores. oy. :()

there're pictures of celebrities with no makeup on, and their skin looks pretty horrible too. not acne-wise, but that it's missing this healthy skin glow. i mean, after years of wearing heavy makeup, it's bound to worsen their skin, right?

can we have a scientifically-based discussion on this? are there certain ingredients found in foundations (and makeup in general) that make it bad for skin?

Anything that is foreign to the skin (in my opinion) is bad. Im sure that there is some scientific proof as well. Your skin needs to breathe. Yes, BP or other ingredients in make-up or cleansers or whatever might be beneficial for the appearance of your skin. But when all is said and done. Your still using chemicals that are foreign to your skin. Your skin should breathe. I use BP, so Im one to talk right. Im just simply making a point that your skin is probobly most healthy when it is not clobbered with chemicals.

Anything that is foreign to the skin (in my opinion) is bad. Im sure that there is some scientific proof as well. Your skin needs to breathe. Yes, BP or other ingredients in make-up or cleansers or whatever might be beneficial for the appearance of your skin. But when all is said and done. Your still using chemicals that are foreign to your skin. Your skin should breathe. I use BP, so Im one to talk right. Im just simply making a point that your skin is probobly most healthy when it is not clobbered with chemicals.

I actually think putting unnatural stuff on ur face always makes ur face worse cause ur face is what? A evolutionary work that consist mostly of adaptions after natural resources (like water etc etc)

You know, I think you're right. I recently stopped wearing foundation and have switched to just using concealer where I need it, blush, and translucent pressed powder. I can say that my face seems to get better looking each day. Much more natural and not overly done-up. I look back at pictures of me in high school (before I wore makeup) and my skin looked great. It was only after I started to use makeup that things started to look duller and less pretty. I think it's possible that blocking all the sun from getting to your face + suffocating your pores with foundation probably add to the unnatural look of your skin when you take the stuff off.

I'm pretty happy with my face now, though, and probably won't wear foundation daily ever again if I can continue to get away with it. However, if it's a really special occasion, I might be willing to put some on.

thanks for all the insightful comments you guys.

it was the necessity of trying to look perfect and flawless that drove me to using foundation in the first place. i still use pressed powder every single day. i'm addicted. i feel insecure and ugly if i go outside without using it.

after my current allergy and redness blow over, i am DETERMINED to stop using powder. only sunscreen. i mean, my skin was worse in highschool (i think), and i didn't do anything to cover it up and i survived. of course i don't have flawless skin, but nobody does, right? in fact, it might look kinda horrible under bad lighting. but I WILL FIGHT OFF THIS ADDICTION!!!! like you guys have said, i want my skin to be able to breathe, who knows, it might even improve. :) wish me luck.

the MAC studio fix is the worst for your skin. IT completely clogs up your pores. I always break out the NEXT day that I try it. Stop wearing it immediately.

any and all foundations seem to cause me problems, and never look natural. I can't help but think that caking this stuff on our faces everyday can't be good.

im worried i have to keep using foundation even though i know its bad for my skin. I feel like i have no say in the matter as my skin is so bad. i wish i had nice clear skin. if i did i would just moisturise and apply blusher and mascara. i just hope my spots will clear and i will never have to put this sh*t on my face ever again

Shhhh.....if everyone knew that foundation was bad for the skin....I'd be out of a job....

For those of you who don't already know, I'm a cosmetic chemist....yup I make makeup. I actually work in research and develpoment for a huge cosmetics company....I formulate foundation and concealer usually, but my lab does eye and face products, so today I'm working on an anhydrous eyeshadow....

Since I formulate foundation, I know what goes in it. I also have to know a lot about the physiology of the skin. Do I wear foundation?....um nope...and I whine about it when I have to.....I know what goes in foundations and I really don't want to put all that stuff on my face....

hmmm, i stumbled upon a poster on another makeup board saying that foundations in general are bad for skin. i remember wearing my mac studio fix everyday for a week cuz i was staying over at a relative's place, i put it on in the mornings and take it off in the evening. i didn't break out or anything, no pimples, but my skin looked so dull and unhealthy. so to cover all this up, i use studio fix again, and my skin looks even worse. it's a vicious cycle. and that was the end of using foundation for me. i've then switched to mineral powders, and it doesn't affect the state of my skin at all.

there're pictures of celebrities with no makeup on, and their skin looks pretty horrible too. not acne-wise, but that it's missing this healthy skin glow. i mean, after years of wearing heavy makeup, it's bound to worsen their skin, right?

can we have a scientifically-based discussion on this? are there certain ingredients found in foundations (and makeup in general) that make it bad for skin?

Well, it's not the best thing for your skin. Skin is not made to be slathered over with makeup. Foundations can be pretty bad for your skin 'cause a lot of them contain crappy ingredients. Go to www.zerozits.com, they have a section of how to be a makeup detective. It tells you all the bad ingredients put into makeup and what to look for carefully. I ditched foundation for a good concealer to use here and there.

Guest funky_monkey

In my opinion, mineral foundation is the only option for oily skin. Everything else just clogs pores.

In my opinion, mineral foundation is the only option for oily skin. Everything else just clogs pores.

What's so great about mineral makup. It's the same thing as foundation, without the other stuff. the pigments are the same. The "minreals"are the same pigments and fillers that go in foundation. It's just a high coverage loose powder foundation with a creative marketing story around it.......my pores seem to clog up on their own, even without the help of makeup.....

Shhhh.....if everyone knew that foundation was bad for the skin....I'd be out of a job....

For those of you who don't already know, I'm a cosmetic chemist....yup I make makeup. I actually work in research and develpoment for a huge cosmetics company....I formulate foundation and concealer usually, but my lab does eye and face products, so today I'm working on an anhydrous eyeshadow....

Since I formulate foundation, I know what goes in it. I also have to know a lot about the physiology of the skin. Do I wear foundation?....um nope...and I whine about it when I have to.....I know what goes in foundations and I really don't want to put all that stuff on my face....

:shock: .............. :|

you have made me even more determined to quit makeup all together. i swear, starting next week, i'm not using ANYTHING!!! so then, labgirl, what do you use for cover when you get a spot?

What's so great about mineral makup. It's the same thing as foundation, without the other stuff. the pigments are the same. The "minreals"are the same pigments and fillers that go in foundation. It's just a high coverage loose powder foundation with a creative marketing story around it.......my pores seem to clog up on their own, even without the help of makeup.....

really? .............wow........

i don't know if what you said is true, but still, i don't entirely believe that mineral makeup cause no damage to skin, as this "creative marketing" suggests. thanks for the insight labgirl!!!!!!

OMG. :sick: Are you serious???

What do they use to make the colorstay stuff??

What does foundation do to the pohysiology of the skin? How come stars use it all the time but they don't seem to ever break out? What else does it do to you besides cause acne? I hooped! I like makeup! :redface:

I don't want to scare anyone out of using makeup entirely. I still have makeup, and I wear it occasionaly. Maybe one or twice a week. When I get a spot, that I absolutley have to cover (like if I have a meeting in NYC or something...or a "hot date" with my BF) then I dab a little of my bare minreals just on my spots with a conceal brush. I'm lucky that the shade Fairly Light 1.2 is a perfect match for me. In the summer I blend Light 2.0 and Medium Beige 2.3 to get my shade. If I really need to wear makeup (which is rare) I'll put it all over my face. I can flake flawless skin with the stuff. But I'm too lazy to wear it everyday. I like to leave my skin bare, and use mascara, eyeshadow (powder only), and lipgloss if I feel like looking nice...but usually I just wear nothing at all...like for most of the work week...

I think mineral makup really is just a creative marketing story. All this "talc free" non-sense makes me laugh.....don't they know that talc is a mineral too....it's no worse than mica or the other fillers...

I like the form of mineral makeup though...... just a dry loose powder, that can cover like a high coverage foundation. I like that they only contain a few ingredients. I'm kinda a "less is more" girl. I even try to formulate that way, which pisses my boss off....

I think that out of all the makups out there," mineral" makeups have the least potential to cause problems than any other type of makeup. I don't think all foundations are comedogenic and cause acne, some are worse than others. Many people don't know how comedogenicity is tested. The product is applied to human skin (usually on the back). If the product blocks sebaceous glands then when sebum production increases accompanied by a simultaneous blockage of the sebaceous gland openings the closed sebaceous glands become infected by bacteria, which produce porphyrin as a metabolite. Porphyrin can be excited by light, and displays fluorescence that can be measured by to detect the early onset of acne lesions caused by application of that product. If it's non-comedogenic than there will be no flourecence detected, because the bacteria haven't infected a closed sebaceous gland. Since this is usually tested on the backs of people with normal skin, it's hard to tell weather a product will behave the same way on "acne prone" facial skin. theoretically it should, but acneic skin has many differences when compared to normal skin.

I think how bad a makeup is depends on a particular formula. Traditional "water based" makeups that use soap systems (TEA/Stearate) to emulsify the oil phase tend to have high pH's (around 8.5-9). The skin's pH is around 5, and high pH's can cause swelling in the stratum corneum, because the epidermal lipids become rigid. This can damage the lipid barrier. Silicone based makeups don't have this problem (and don't actually even have pH's). They are probably better to use than traditional water based systems.

Many of the ingredients in foundations can interact with the skin. Emulsifiers and surfactants, that are used to stabalize the formulas can interact with the lipids in the skin, further damaging the skin's lipid barrier. Many times the "vitamins" and plant extracts, are added at very low levels, so they usually are just there for the marketing "story." Overall I don't think foundations are that bad for the skin, if you happen to have "normal" skin and you are using the right formula for your skin type. Acneic skin isn't normal skin, so they can probably do more harm than good.

Does this mean I think no one should wear makeup....No. I don't think it will cause acne in someone who isn't acne prone, as long as it's non-comedogenic. But for acne sufferers I think it can cause problems, since our skin cells don't shed normally, and we already have blocked up pores, without the help of makeup...

As far as stars go, most of them do not have acne. And the ones who do can afford the best treatments that money can buy. I've seen pictures of a few stars that have not so great skin. They just have great dermatologists and makeup artists to make it less apparant.

What do they use to make the colorstay stuff??

Hey LabGirl,

Thanks for the info on makeup. I have one question: Do you think that foundations with lots of silicones in them can actually make acne worse? It seems like (and I'm just guessing here) that those formulations would suffocate the skin and make acne more tenacious. Just curious, because I tried that L'Oreal Infallible (which I think had quite a bit of silicone in it, some long word starting with cylclo-) and that stuff just seemed to smother my acne prone areas, causing massive cysts. I think those were the first true cysts I'd ever experienced, actually.

Anyway, just curious!

OOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo! That is SO interesting!!! What a great job yuou have! i think that's neat! Thanks SO much for posting!

But my covergirl makeup lists water as it's first ingerdient!!?? Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Maybe I should try the colorstay stuff. Silicone sounds so much worse for your skin than water, weird... :think: It also has propylene glycol and glycerin listed fairly high.

Anyway-I try not to wear it all over...just covering undereye cirles and spots here and there.

Thanks again!!

mineral foundation is the best.i hated mac it also broke me out.i think it depends whats in your foundation thats bad for your skin.i think everyone here should use veggiegrl's minerals.WOW never did i get such a natural flawless finish.

OOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo! That is SO interesting!!! What a great job yuou have! i think that's neat! Thanks SO much for posting!

But my covergirl makeup lists water as it's first ingerdient!!?? Ahhhhhhhhhhh! Maybe I should try the colorstay stuff. Silicone sounds so much worse for your skin than water, weird... :think: It also has propylene glycol and glycerin listed fairly high.

That doesn't mean that it's "water based." water is usually the first ingredient in most makeups, weather they're silicone based or water based. Not all water based makeups are bad, just the ones that use soap systems as the primary emulsifiers. When I say silicone based or water based I'm referring to the phase that's on the outside of the emulsion. If water's on the outside it's a water based or "oil in water" emulsion. If you see stearic acid and triethanolamine on the indredients it's a soap system, and probably has a high pH. If has polyacrylamide, C13-14 Isoparaffin, and laureth-7 in the ingredients than it's polymer stabalized and should be fine. Usually water based makeups use gums to help stabalize them. You might see xanthan gum, carageenan, magnesium aluminim silicate, or cellulose gum in the ingredients...

A silicone based makeup can have cyclomethicone (or cycohexasiloxane or cyclopentasiloxane) or water as the first ingredient. A silicone based makeup is a "water in silicone" or "water in oil" emulsion, meaning the outside phase of the emulsion is silicone, and the internal phase is water. These usually have things like dimethicone copolyol, cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 dimethicone, PEG/PPG-18/18 dimethicone, polyglyceryl-4 isostearate in the ingredients, and usually contain a salt like sodium chloride, or magnesium sulfate to stabalize them.

A quick way to see what kind of makeup you have is to add a little to a glass of tap water. If it falls to the bottom and beads up and can't be mixed with the water, even with stirring....you have a silicone emulsion. If you add it to water and it easily mixed in with some gentle stirring, you have a water based makeup...

Not all silicones makeups will be comedogenic. The cyclomethicones and dimethicones are not generally comedogenic. Heavy dimethicones can be occlusive, and form a film over the skin, but they usually aren't comdeogenic either.

Hey LabGirl,

Thanks for the info on makeup. I have one question: Do you think that foundations with lots of silicones in them can actually make acne worse? It seems like (and I'm just guessing here) that those formulations would suffocate the skin and make acne more tenacious. Just curious, because I tried that L'Oreal Infallible (which I think had quite a bit of silicone in it, some long word starting with cylclo-) and that stuff just seemed to smother my acne prone areas, causing massive cysts. I think those were the first true cysts I'd ever experienced, actually.

Anyway, just curious!

I'm wondering if the film former polymer used in the Infallabe makup is creating a problem for you. L'Oreal is usually pretty heavily regulated by by the FDA, so they'd have to back up their non-comedogenic claim with a clincial test. So maybe it's not comedogenic on some test subject's back, but it poses a problem for your face.....Are you 100% the makeup caused you cysts??? I broke out in cysts for the first time last summer. Totally out of the blue....and it had nothing to do with makeup......

When you have acne it's actually your own skin cells that are comedogenic, so I wouldn't really stress too much over wearing makeup occasionally, as long as that particular formula doesn't worsen your acne or irritate your skin, if it does you can always switch brands or try a "mineral makeup".......I think they are the "least worse of" choice.....

Thanks for the reply!

Anyway, I remember specifically examining the bottle before using it and for some weird reason, it didn't say anywhere on it that this particular formula was non-comedogenic. At any rate, I emailed L'Oreal and asked them if it was, to which they replied yes. However, I still find it weird that they didn't put it on the packaging itself.

As for the Infallible causing major cysts on my face, I'm pretty sure it was the culprit. Don't get me wrong, I'd been having troubles with my skin for a few months prior to wearing that foundation, but once I started using it, my trouble areas literally exploded. I usually got one or two pimples on each side of my chin that would take FOREVER to go away, but once using the Infallible, they became much bigger and coalesced together. It was horrible. Anyway, the minute I quit using it, my face began to improve a lot. Now, I'm really nervous to try any makeup that has any -clones in it at all!

Guest fatallyours

wow LabGirl, thank you for sharing your wisdom with the rest of us!

COOL!!!!! I just tested my Cover Girl and it wouldn't mix in with water!!! :dance: SWEET! It also lists that PEG-18 stuff and some dimethicone and stuff...

Thanks again for posting!!!! :clap::D

Question for labgirl...

what do you think about makeup from aveda? on the website, it lists all natural ingredients.

Also, I just bought some foundation from origins, and the first ingredient is cyclopentasiloxane...then a bunch of herbal ingredients. Is this comodegenic???