Notifications
Clear all

Silicone bumps

MemberMember
(@needhelpfromyouguys)

Posted : 01/31/2006 2:37 pm

Hey guys,

I know there have been threads about this before. First of all, I would beg each and everyone of you NEVER to get silicone injected for acne scars. I made this abysmal mistake and only had one seriers of injections (.15cc total) and I am getting various bumps. These bumps for some reason mainly come out in the cold weather. I know the the treatment options are antibiotics/cortisone injections but this has not worked. The initial doctor I went to is a complete asshole and is just denying any correlation between the two and he says the lumps are just a coincidence. My blood is boiling just writting about it but what can I do. Simply put I just want to get rid of the lump and am pleading with any of you to tell me who I might go to. I live in New York City and I just want to go to any doctor who can help. I am really down, more so than I've ever been in my whole life. I went to a reputable doctor for help, only had one injection, and now I have this shit to deal with. If anyone can give me a good plastic surgeon / dermatologits name in the NY/NJ area that knows about this issue and could help me I would be forever grateful. This whole experience has been awful, I just want it to be over. If i have to get it cut out thats fine, I just want to go to a capable doctor. Thank you everyone for reading this. And please please do not get silicone injected even if it is by the microinjection technique by a physician. You might get lucky and not have any complications but if you do have complications it is a horrible thing to go through. God bless everyone

MemberMember
(@autom8ed)

Posted : 01/31/2006 9:24 pm

Sadly, I do not think siilicone injections are reversible at this time. I would have thought your doctor would explain this to you before going in for treatment.

Your best bet would be to find a good doctor that does the procedure and he can tell you all your options.

Do a search on this board. I do remember a thread about a Doctor in NY that invented the procedure or something like that.

Good luck to you.

MemberMember
(@butterflies74)

Posted : 01/31/2006 9:29 pm

Drs. Orentreich in NYC have been doing microsilicone injections for decades. I have a feeling yours were not done correctly. Why don't you call to see if they can help?

MemberMember
(@kooky)

Posted : 01/31/2006 10:42 pm

Hey guys,

I know there have been threads about this before. First of all, I would beg each and everyone of you NEVER to get silicone injected for acne scars. I made this abysmal mistake and only had one seriers of injections (.15cc total) and I am getting various bumps. These bumps for some reason mainly come out in the cold weather. I know the the treatment options are antibiotics/cortisone injections but this has not worked. The initial doctor I went to is a complete asshole and is just denying any correlation between the two and he says the lumps are just a coincidence. My blood is boiling just writting about it but what can I do. Simply put I just want to get rid of the lump and am pleading with any of you to tell me who I might go to. I live in New York City and I just want to go to any doctor who can help. I am really down, more so than I've ever been in my whole life. I went to a reputable doctor for help, only had one injection, and now I have this shit to deal with. If anyone can give me a good plastic surgeon / dermatologits name in the NY/NJ area that knows about this issue and could help me I would be forever grateful. This whole experience has been awful, I just want it to be over. If i have to get it cut out thats fine, I just want to go to a capable doctor. Thank you everyone for reading this. And please please do not get silicone injected even if it is by the microinjection technique by a physician. You might get lucky and not have any complications but if you do have complications it is a horrible thing to go through. God bless everyone

Hey,

I'm sorry this happened to you. I understand your pain and frustration. I have still have some small lumps from a permanent filler I had injected in Mexico. I had some success with cortisone shots and extraction but I can still feel some of the lumps when I run my fingers over the affected areas. I was told to avoid cortisone shots, unless absolutely necessary for something like a cyst which may scar, while I am having my fraxel treatments. So I'm crossing my fingers, eyes, and toes that the cortisone injections will be effective in reducing the lumps when I resume with them after my fraxels.

Have you tried contacting David Duffy in Southern California? He was doing some research on tumor necrosis factor-alpha (TNF-a) inhibitors to reduce the size of silicone granulomas. There was an article from a while ago in dermatology times online about it. I've pasted the link below for ya. I know it's a long way for you, but I would at least try contacting him by phone or email and see if he can help you out. Good luck and peace be with you!

kooky

Silcone Granuloma Management - Dermatology Times, May 2003

MemberMember
(@needhelpfromyouguysy2)

Posted : 02/01/2006 11:44 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I forgot my password so I had to make another screenname. i will definetly contact the doctor in Southern California kooky. Also, what exactly is extraction and do you know who I should go to for that (a plastic surgeon?)... i think its when they remove the silicone by making a cut but I am not too sure. once again, thank you all so much for the advice, god knows i need it.

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 02/01/2006 3:19 pm

I think the only thing thay can do is cut it out. I'm so sorry this happened to you :(

I thought silicone injections were illegal in the US...call the FDA and report this loser.

Dr Rappaport in NJ *may* be able to help. He specializes in scars.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 02/01/2006 4:27 pm

emmanuel,

Silicone in the pure forms of adatosil or silikon can be used off label legally if mutually agreed upon by the physician and patient. This is the first clear cut case I have read about from complications in which the person specifically states the microdroplet method was used but I am sure there are others out there. Unfortunately everyone reacts differently so it would be wise to do a test scar first and see how it does in 6 months to a year should you decide to do this stuff.

needhelp,

You may want to PM a member by the name of maryval who recently posted about having similar problems and see what she has found after using minocin. Good luck. Read this link

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 02/01/2006 5:52 pm

I could swear I saw a tv interview and read articles that say it's illegal in the US, which is why many people flock to Mexico to have it done, but I haven't looked into it to see if it's really illegal. The fact that the Dr. and patient have to "agree" makes it sound shady, IMO. I mean, they probably just want your $$$$.

I think any permanent fillers are risky in that they can migrate and cause bumps that are hard to get rid of. That's why when I get fillers, I am getting temporary one's or fat as annoying as it is to keep going back. I'm just too afraid of what will happen if I get permanent one's and after being on this board for years, I've seen that most things are really risky, which plain sucks.

To the original poster: can you maybe get them cut out and then get another scar procedure done?

MemberMember
(@autom8ed)

Posted : 02/01/2006 6:00 pm

but there really is no other filler like silicone. it can fill in smaller scars that other fillers can only round out.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 02/01/2006 6:27 pm

Hey emmanual,

This might clear things up. The following link describes that if a drug is FDA approved for a specific use it can also be for other purposes at the descretion of the doctor in an off-label manner. Adatosil and Silikon were both FDA approved as a drug for opthalmic use. It is illegal for the doctor to advertise the drug for anything other than what the FDA approved it for. Which means a doctor can advertise the silicone for opthalmic use all day on his website but it would be illegal for him to advertise it for scars/wrinkles and such (which I have seen some unscrupulous or unknowing doctors do). However it is still completely legal for them to recommend it to a patient that comes in with scars/wrinkles and inject them with the off-label use.

FDA Off Label Usage

needhelp,

Hope everything goes well. By the way if they are only apparent in cold weather maybe that would be an excuse to move to a place that has nice weather all year round.

MemberMember
(@maryval)

Posted : 02/02/2006 2:24 am

Hey guys,

Hi. Sorry to hear about your problem. I know EXACTLY what you are going through. If the minocin did not work...try upping the dosage to 200 mg. a day. (Duffy's advice) You could also try getting a prescription for allopurinol. Dr. Wertzer(in Calif told me this worked for one patient he had read about)He also recommended demabrasion for the bumps. Another person on another forum told me this is what she did for her silicone bumps and it worked. I have tiny bumps now ...looks more like small break outs on my cheeks. It does not look as bad as it did at first, but it is still a nuisance. I have decided to do demabrasion because I don't like these scars that have appeared and I don't want to look like I have permanent acne. I know this is a risk on my skin...light hispanic...but it appears to be my only option. I discussed this with Dr. Duffy and he said it would work.

One plastic surgeon I consulted with said that cutting them out would make it look worse...he would only do it with large disfiguring bumps. But, he does do injections of low dose chemo drugs that work for his patients. He says it works, but most people return in 6months because these bumps always return. His name is Dr. Hoenig....a plastic sugeon in Beverly Hills and Long Beach, CA.

Someone posted a procedure that supposedly worked, but he never gave me a doctor's name. Maybe he made it up?.....Good luck.

MemberMember
(@needhelpfromyouguys3)

Posted : 02/02/2006 11:56 am

Thanks for the replies. I am having trouble logging in, hence the multiple screenanmes. Maryval, I was reading about the whole thing and I dont know if dermabrasion will work because even if the lumps go down, they will eventually return because the silicone is still there. Also, did your lumps appear at the spot of injection or elsewhere. In my case, they are inches away from where he injected it. I read an article about a product called Aldara which is used for like warts or something but it supposedly worked for someone with silicone problems. the thing is, unless the silicone is removed I dont see how the problem will go away. Do you know if the cortisone or minocylcine can actually get rid of it. My only hope is that the amount of silicone injected was so tiny that perhaps it can be injested by the body with the help of antibiotics, I know large amounts of silicone are impossible to injest but small amounts are. God, of all the stupid things in the world to deal with, next time (there will never be a next time) but yeah doctors really dont give a damn about anyone or anything but money, but prudence and caution is definetly the way to go, no matter how great the doctor thinks he is or how many papers he has published. also, if anyone knows a great and sympathetic plastic surgeon in ny that would be great. I know nottoobad made a post about how they can make a small incision and get the silicone out. If I could just find someone whos done this I would prob go to him/her but the problem is every plastic surgeon ive called has never dealt with this before. oh well, any other posts would be appreciated. htanks

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 02/02/2006 3:03 pm

Hey emmanual,

This might clear things up. The following link describes that if a drug is FDA approved for a specific use it can also be for other purposes at the descretion of the doctor in an off-label manner. Adatosil and Silikon were both FDA approved as a drug for opthalmic use. It is illegal for the doctor to advertise the drug for anything other than what the FDA approved it for. Which means a doctor can advertise the silicone for opthalmic use all day on his website but it would be illegal for him to advertise it for scars/wrinkles and such (which I have seen some unscrupulous or unknowing doctors do). However it is still completely legal for them to recommend it to a patient that comes in with scars/wrinkles and inject them with the off-label use.

FDA Off Label Usage

needhelp,

Hope everything goes well. By the way if they are only apparent in cold weather maybe that would be an excuse to move to a place that has nice weather all year round.

Thanks for clearing that up! :D

MemberMember
(@maryval)

Posted : 02/03/2006 10:48 pm

Thanks for the replies. I am having trouble logging in, hence the multiple screenanmes. Maryval, I was reading about the whole thing and I dont know if dermabrasion will work because even if the lumps go down, they will eventually return because the silicone is still there. Also, did your lumps appear at the spot of injection or elsewhere. In my case, they are inches away from where he injected it. I read an article about a product called Aldara which is used for like warts or something but it supposedly worked for someone with silicone problems. the thing is, unless the silicone is removed I dont see how the problem will go away. Do you know if the cortisone or minocylcine can actually get rid of it. My only hope is that the amount of silicone injected was so tiny that perhaps it can be injested by the body with the help of antibiotics, I know large amounts of silicone are impossible to injest but small amounts are. God, of all the stupid things in the world to deal with, next time (there will never be a next time) but yeah doctors really dont give a damn about anyone or anything but money, but prudence and caution is definetly the way to go, no matter how great the doctor thinks he is or how many papers he has published. also, if anyone knows a great and sympathetic plastic surgeon in ny that would be great. I know nottoobad made a post about how they can make a small incision and get the silicone out. If I could just find someone whos done this I would prob go to him/her but the problem is every plastic surgeon ive called has never dealt with this before. oh well, any other posts would be appreciated. htanks

I figured some of it might come out . If there is very little to start with , there could be a chance it would be removed with the demabrasion. Of course, the problem is that no one can be sure.I am just willing to try it, rather than accept my face looking like its broken out for life. I think Duffy thinks mine are close to the surface. I think I'd rather have spot demabrasions than be on medication forever.

Duffy and Hoenig have said there is no permanent way to get rid of it unless you cut it out. This has been my experience...they go up and down. Sometimes it seems like they are almost completely gone, but they seem more elevated on other days. What bothers me is that I was left with new scars.

Please let me know if you find something that works. Feel free to PM me. I have one more consult coming up. It's with another plastic surgeon. I'll let you know what he says if you're interested.

I had more than one scar injected and can't even remember the exact spots. Mine seems to have migrated. They look like small pimples near the areas of injection.

MemberMember
(@rebellgyrl)

Posted : 02/04/2006 3:08 pm

Iam so sorry that this has happened to you two.

May I ask who were your doctors?

Also, have any of you had a history of allergies?

Mary, have You yourself been allergic to silicone in cosmetics?

Thank you and god bless you both.

MemberMember
(@ginycity)

Posted : 02/08/2006 6:13 am

Was your Dr - Howard Sobel? I am now thinking twice about getting these injections

Please respond

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 02/08/2006 10:20 am

I don't think it matters who the doctor is. Some people are just prone to allergic reactions to silicone causing the bumps. Works great for some and disasterous for others.

MemberMember
(@maryval)

Posted : 02/08/2006 6:13 pm

Was your Dr - Howard Sobel? I am now thinking twice about getting these injections

Please respond

Hi. My doctor was not Dr. Sobel. I have allergies -cats, mold, pollen. I think this is why it happened. ( No one knows for sure) My doctor is very good and I don't want to post his name because I am sure the reaction I had wasn't associated with bad technique. I know I have read that this has happened regardless of good technique and it being medical grade silicone. Dr. Duffy gave me a silicone packet which had lots of research. I have passed them on to some nurses I know, so I can't quote the article.

I am not recommending it because of my experience. ( So, obviously I'm biased) I think it's always a good idea to wait if you're having doubts.You can probably find many who are very happy with their decision. Any procedure is a risk. The problem with silicone is that it is a pain to treat if you end up having a reaction. ((Trust me on this one)

MemberMember
(@ginycity)

Posted : 02/08/2006 11:21 pm

Thanks for responding. Are the one that started this initial post ?? But have a different screen name now. I asked about your doctor because in your post you said" The initial doctor I went to is a complete asshole and is just denying any correlation between the two and he says the lumps are just a coincidence". But now i'm not sure if its you because you responded" My doctor is very good and I don't want to post his name because I am sure the reaction I had wasn't associated with bad technique" I was trying to ask the 1st person who posted about their doctor. Th 1st post on here made me think becasue they said" First of all, I would beg each and everyone of you NEVER to get silicone injected for acne scars." That is very drastic to me and makes me think how horrible it could turn out. My main concern is that this procedure might be great now but have bad side effects 15 years down the road. Does anyone know someone who had this done a long time ago? Its kinda like people know Acutane likely leads to scars but when I used Acuntane in 1990 no one had even thought of this. It was just concern with your liver and pregnancy. I remember getting blood tests done 3 times a week for 4 or 5 months!! Not Fun.

MemberMember
(@maryval)

Posted : 02/09/2006 9:18 pm

Thanks for responding. Are the one that started this initial post ?? But have a different screen name now. I asked about your doctor because in your post you said" The initial doctor I went to is a complete asshole and is just denying any correlation between the two and he says the lumps are just a coincidence". But now i'm not sure if its you because you responded" My doctor is very good and I don't want to post his name because I am sure the reaction I had wasn't associated with bad technique" I was trying to ask the 1st person who posted about their doctor. Th 1st post on here made me think becasue they said" First of all, I would beg each and everyone of you NEVER to get silicone injected for acne scars." That is very drastic to me and makes me think how horrible it could turn out. My main concern is that this procedure might be great now but have bad side effects 15 years down the road. Does anyone know someone who had this done a long time ago? Its kinda like people know Acutane likely leads to scars but when I used Acuntane in 1990 no one had even thought of this. It was just concern with your liver and pregnancy. I remember getting blood tests done 3 times a week for 4 or 5 months!! Not Fun.

It wasn't my post. I posted a few weeks back regarding my silicone injections and I responded to needyourhelp. I've only read about reactions from years ago, but don't know anyone personally. I've talked to Dr. Duffy Derma) and Dr. Hoenig( plastic surgeon)-both have seen people react to the medical grade silicone. The pecentage is supposed to be low....but it's still not worth the risk in my opinion. I went with a permanent filler because I was pretty sick and tired of dealing with acne scars for twenty plus years. I would go with a temporary filler if I had to do it again. When I researched it, I had read that there were no cases of reactions with medical grade silicone. But after talking to a couple of doctors, I see that it is not the case.Dr. Duffy said the reaction rate is 1% and Hoenig said 20%. I think only time will tell.

(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/17/2006 12:46 pm

I started the topic.......im still very happy with my treatment from Dr Peacock hudson in the uk

I started the topic and im still very happy with the isolagen results, i cant wait to go back to the derm to have other treatment done....not isolagen but other stuff, and i hope to get the before and after photos for everyone to see the results.

MemberMember
(@thereisalight)

Posted : 02/17/2006 12:59 pm

why wouldnt the docs do a test patch somewhere on the body less visible, let it sit for a year or 6 mos or something and then decide if they can do it in the face or not? if it's going to react badly and you have allergies to silicone, you dont need it in your face first to find out. i cant believe they dont do test patches for this.

MemberMember
(@colonel-angus)

Posted : 02/17/2006 6:08 pm

why wouldnt the docs do a test patch somewhere on the body less visible, let it sit for a year or 6 mos or something and then decide if they can do it in the face or not? if it's going to react badly and you have allergies to silicone, you dont need it in your face first to find out. i cant believe they dont do test patches for this.

From what I have gathered though, granulomas can happen many years later in some cases so even if you had a test patch done there is no guarantee. But what you are suggesting would probably greatly reduce the amounts of possible complications and worth doing. I am sure any doctor would be willing to allow patient's to do a test patch if they requested it.

MemberMember
(@christinele24)

Posted : 03/11/2006 10:52 am

There is someone I know who did Silicone injections before and got all scared from it. However, they got Fraxel and have had great results with it. I think it even works on getting it out. It brings it to the surface or something. Check with a Fraxel Dr. in your area about this.

MemberMember
(@butterflies74)

Posted : 03/11/2006 11:15 am

There is someone I know who did Silicone injections before and got all scared from it. However, they got Fraxel and have had great results with it. I think it even works on getting it out. It brings it to the surface or something. Check with a Fraxel Dr. in your area about this.

I thought if you had silicone that you COULD NOT have fraxel b/c the fraxel could "burn" or "melt" the silicone at the settings needed for acne scar removal/reduction. Am I wrong about this? Do you know anyone with silicone who has had fraxel & could post his/her results? Just don't want anyone to jump from the frying pan into the fire....