Notifications
Clear all

Sebbehorric Dermatitis. (Sp?)

MemberMember
(@edge-el)

Posted : 01/31/2006 3:31 am

After getting both my eyes infected with Blepharlitis (sp?) and having what I THOUGHT was eczema on my scalp for nearly 3 years and having a severly dry face ive come to one conclusion:

I have Sebbehorric Dermatitis.

How do I control it so that it goes away? I know its a bacterial infection, but whats the best way to take care of it? What should I tell my doctor? dermatologist? etc? my whole entire head is covered in it. I know its sad, but you guys are my last hope.

MemberMember
(@birdybird41)

Posted : 01/31/2006 9:10 am

After getting both my eyes infected with Blepharlitis (sp?) and having what I THOUGHT was eczema on my scalp for nearly 3 years and having a severly dry face ive come to one conclusion:

I have Sebbehorric Dermatitis.

How do I control it so that it goes away? I know its a bacterial infection, but whats the best way to take care of it? What should I tell my doctor? dermatologist? etc? my whole entire head is covered in it. I know its sad, but you guys are my last hope.

I got a really bad case of seb. dermatitis after my second daughter was born...i had it badly on my scalp and some on my forehead and eyebrows...I don't think it's a bacterial issue tho.....Anyway, I used a shampoo called DHS, that I got from the drugstore...it has Pyrithione Zinc (sp?) in it and it worked really really well....I've seen posts here that talked about using Head and Shoulders shampoo as a face wash for acne ( it also has pyrithione zinc as the active ingredient) I'd definitely give it a try......

But, I would also recommend going to see a dermatologist, to get a definitive diagnosis.....when I had my initial outbreak, I did have to use a steroid solution for a couple of weeks to get it under control- after i got it under control, I switched to the DHS shampoo and it went away....it eventually went away all together and has never come back, but mine was due to hormonal issue post partum

Good Luck!!!

MemberMember
(@erpatter)

Posted : 01/31/2006 9:42 am

I've had sebhorric dermatitis before, it's no fun. You'll want to use a gentle cleanser, anything harsh will keep your skin dried out even more. My derm prescribed me loprox, it took a few weeks but my skin went back to normal.

MemberMember
(@jessfirestone)

Posted : 01/31/2006 1:15 pm

hey, that sucks to hear. I hope you're able to find things that give you relief...I did a seach and tried to come up with a few treatments that could be useful. On several websites while searching I came across the mention if Biotin supplements being particularly helpful in treating sebhorrheic dermatitis, so you may want to stop by the health food store today and get some biotin. the following article was very informative imo:

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...l.jsp?id=159665

Q. What is the cause of seborrheic dermatitis?

Zoe Diana Draelos, M.D.

A. The cause of seborrheic dermatitis is somewhat controversial. Is it an infectious disease? Is it an inflammatory, proliferative disease? Is it a neurologic disease? In my opinion, seborrheic dermatitis is caused by a fungus that is capable of proliferating on the scalp of susceptible individuals and not others. The fungal cause of seborrheic dermatitis has recently been identified by Tom Dawson, Ph.D., as Malassezia globosa. He has characterized the Malassezia family into seven subtypes.

Remember that the nonreproductive form of the fungus is Pityrosporum ovale. Pityrosporum is converted to the reproductive growth phase known as Malassezia to cause disease. Malassezia furfur is the subtype that is thought to cause tinea versicolor and Malassezia globosa is the cause of seborrheic dermatitis. It is the digestion of sebum on the scalp by Malassezia globosa that releases free fatty acids causing inflammation and the accompanying proliferation. Seborrheic dermatitis is more common in elderly and debilitated patients due to decreased immune surveillance of fungal organisms and decreased hygiene.

Q. How do the over-the-counter (OTC) liquid products work in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis?

A. There is a variety of OTC products that are designed to aid in the treatment of seborrheic dermatitis, besides antidandruff shampoos. These products fall into two categories: those containing salicylic acid and those containing 1 percent hydrocortisone. These are considered OTC drugs and as such will have the active agent listed separately on the packaging. There are no products that contain both ingredients in the same bottle, since the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) does not allow hydrocortisone in combination with any other active ingredient in OTC drugs.

The salicylic acid products may contain up to 3 percent salicylic acid in a volatile vehicle and are leave-on products designed for direct scalp application. The salicylic acid remains on the scalp until the subsequent shampooing to digest scalp skin scale functioning as a keratolytic. Salicylic acid is oil soluble and as such is effective in the sebum-rich scalp environment. This is important to remove the flaking component of seborrheic dermatitis, which is cosmetically unattractive. However, removal of the scalp scale is also necessary to prevent maceration and creation of an environment that encourages Malassezia globosa growth.

The 1 percent hydrocortisone liquids, on the other hand, function as anti-inflammatories. Their role is to decrease inflammation thereby also decreasing the proliferative component of seborrheic dermatitis. The decreased inflammation also improves the patient symptoms of itching, stinging and burning.

Q. Are there any OTC products helpful in treating seborrheic dermatitis?

A. The OTC salicylic acid and 1 percent hydrocortisone products can be effectively used in the treatment of mild seborrheic dermatitis. I prefer to use the active agents in combination with an antidandruff shampoo to deal with all of the aspects of seborrheic dermatitis.

The antidandruff shampoo used daily or every-other-day contains agents to destroy the Malassezia globosa population on the scalp. This is combined with application of the salicylic acid preparation to the scalp in the morning. The salicylic acid is a mild anti-inflammatory and potent keratolytic reducing scalp scaling. The 1 percent hydrocortisone liquid is applied in the evening to reduce inflammation and the symptoms of itching. Thus, this OTC combination therapy decreases the fungal count while minimizing both proliferation and inflammation. All aspects of the seborrheic disease cycle are addressed

Herbs that may be helpful

: A crude extract of aloe vera (Aloe barbadensis) may help seborrheic dermatitis when applied topically. In a double-blind trial, people with seborrheic dermatitis applied either a 30% crude aloe emulsion or a similar placebo cream twice a day for four to six weeks.14 Significantly more people responded to topical aloe vera than to placebo: 62% of those using the aloe vera reported improvements in scaling and itching, compared to only 25% in the placebo group.

http://www.dermatologytimes.com/dermatolog...l.jsp?id=159665

good luck...please let us know how you're doing :)

luv jess

MemberMember
(@jessfirestone)

Posted : 01/31/2006 1:43 pm

You know, I wanted to mention that I have a similar condition, candida, which is a fungus that can proliferate if you kill the good bacteria in your body with antibiotics. (mine may have developed from taking oral antibiotics for acne for years.) now I have a life long sugar allergy.

if I go off my sugar-free diet, I get severely itchy and I get a flaky scalp and dry skin stuff all around my face, eyebrows, ears, hands, etc. I don't think that sebhorreic dermatitis is the same thing, but I do believe there's a possibility that it could be a fungus instead of a bacterial infection. If it's a bacterial infection, you'd think with its frequency we'd have named the offending bacterium and have an ...antibiotic for it, of course lol. This condition (sebohorreic d.) seems to respond well to menthol/coal containing shampoos and anti-inflammation treatments and that's more indicitive of a fungus among us. I'm pretty certain that a lack of good bacteria can cause certain types of fungus to invade. have you been on any oral antibiotics or any topical antibiotic prescriptions? If so, it's possible that you would do well on a pro-biotic supplement. They will provide you with good bacteria, which is essential and once I started taking a pro-biotic, I began to feel soooo much better! you can find these supplements in stores like GNC or other healthfood stores. I'll do some more searching and see if I can't find anything better than this one article. trust me, I know how bad it sucks to have a flaky scalp and not have dandruff and be like arrrgh wtf

hang in there...

MemberMember
(@foomph)

Posted : 01/31/2006 5:32 pm

I have that too, on my head (seb. derm.) My derm gave me cortisone lotion to put on it but in all honesty-it doesn't work. I have mostly on the back of my head and have had it for YEARS. Runs in my family. None of the shampoos worked for me either. Sounds gross, but I pick it all off when nobody's around. The it doesn't flake out of my hair. Also-I have long hair (so that cover sit) and it's blonde (so it doesn't show much anyway). But holy hanna watch out when I wear black!

I don't know what to do anymore-maybe I wil try the biotin...let us know how it works for you!

MemberMember
(@kev20)

Posted : 09/28/2014 4:33 am

I just want to share my experience of this condition i used to have it so bad i wouldnt go out the house couldn't even wash my face without making it worse.went to the dr tried steroid creams made it worse metro gel made it worse was told it was my diet load of rubbish told i was drinking too much load of rubbish!

Then i read online dandruff shampoo may work . t gel helped nizarol helped but selsun cleared it up in a week.I washed myself in it head to toe every day for week i saw an improvement in 2 days Im sure its a fungle infection washed my towels after every use with tea tree oil same with bed sheets anything that could reinfect if you wear glasses wipe with tea tree oil. Im totaly clear now and only use selsun one day a week now to keep it in check. If this helps only one person i will be happy because i know how bad this can get good luck.

MemberMember
(@kev20)

Posted : 09/28/2014 4:35 am

I have that too, on my head (seb. derm.) My derm gave me cortisone lotion to put on it but in all honesty-it doesn't work. I have mostly on the back of my head and have had it for YEARS. Runs in my family. None of the shampoos worked for me either. Sounds gross, but I pick it all off when nobody's around. The it doesn't flake out of my hair. Also-I have long hair (so that cover sit) and it's blonde (so it doesn't show much anyway). But holy hanna watch out when I wear black! I don't know what to do anymore-maybe I wil try the biotin...let us know how it works for you!

MemberMember
(@kev20)

Posted : 09/28/2014 4:41 am

Possibly reinfection from towels bedsheets anything that contacts the skin never use a towel twice wash everything in a tea tree or the shampoo this worked for me also wash your whole body head to toe with the shampoo not just the area you have it.

MemberMember
(@givehug)

Posted : 10/14/2014 9:12 am

Possibly reinfection from towels bedsheets anything that contacts the skin never use a towel twice wash everything in a tea tree or the shampoo this worked for me also wash your whole body head to toe with the shampoo not just the area you have it.

Can you specify please which one exactly you use?

I just checked my local selsun store, they have like 10 different shampoos.

3 major component differences are :

- SA 3%

- zinc perithyon

- and selenium sulphide