Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dawkyou

What is the difference between APEEL and TCA?

Anyone? What is the difference? How much downtime with APEEL? I see the posts on ebay from that Julie girl. Just as dangerous as TCA? I need the info!!! PLEASE...Thanks a head of time :)

Anyone? What is the difference? How much downtime with APEEL? I see the posts on ebay from that Julie girl. Just as dangerous as TCA? I need the info!!! PLEASE...Thanks a head of time :)

ANYONE? PLEASE?

ANYONE? PLEASE?

A Peel is a retinoid product like Retin A, Tazorac, Avage, Green Cream, with higher percents of retinoid. Which retinoid is used here is not clear to me. It is nothing like TCA peel which is acid. It is in a cream base and you use it like you would retin A but with frequent applications to achieve the desired peeling. If the APeel is fresh you can have a deep peeling effect, if not it may be only an exfoliation, the top layers of the skin. Retinoids are very unstable and this formula is not made well. However I use it and love it but I also like TCA. But this peel is easy and the risks are low. The downtime depends on your skin, and the method of application. A few days to a week, but you don't crust over like TCA . Most people can do their normal life.

Retinoids stimulate cellular celluar turnover and increase collagen,hyaluronic acid in the skin. TCA will kill the skin cells and force the skin to heal. It produces a wound and then crusts, flakes, and peels revealing a new pink skin. With TCA percent of acid ,application method and skin type also determine down time but you need more skill and knowledge here to use this peel. Downtime depends on the damage done to the skin, few days to 2 weeks is the average.

Before doing any peel please do your own research there are numerous articles on retinoids, peels etc online and you can do a search here for peoples input. These topics have been posted over and over again.

If the APeel is fresh you can have a deep peeling effect, if not it may be only an exfoliation, the top layers of the skin. Retinoids are very unstable and this formula is not made well.

what makes you say that? ive actually talked to Julie about this, and she said that over time the apeel actually can get stronger. hmmmm....

and i've always found julie's products to be 'well made', from what i can tell.

anyway, in my experience, both are good. i try to rotate between them. the apeel can actually make you peel really deep, and i've had good results with it. and the best part is is there really isnt any down time.

the problem is is that Julie seems to change her instructions for it. At first she said you can moisterize and use hyrolounic acid, while doing the apeel, and thats what i've always done, and the results have been good. The fact that you can moisturize while peeling is what make its not noticable. if you follow her new instructions and dont use anything on your skin while peeling, then it would be quite hard to hid the peeling effect, imo.

TCA you dont use anything on your skin while peeling, and there is atleast 3-4 days down time, which is how long it takes me to peel w/ TCA, but everyone is different.

both are quite safe and quite good imo. Julie also has a product called apeel daily, which is not as strong as the "apeel correct", but is very effective. she has changed her instructions on this product too, so you really have to experiment and use it whatever way works best for you. I tend to use apeel daily, well, daily, and almost every morning i wake up w/ a thin layer of skin flaking off. after a few months, youll see noticable improvements.

BUT everyone's skin is different. I happen to have skin thats somewhat darker (i'm half italian), and my skin can get quite oily, so thats why i think i can get away w/ using it every day. some people would never be able to do that, it would be irritating to their skin. you have to experiment.

I should call Julie and get the skinny on why she keeps changing her instructions. I've kind of talked to her a bit about this and i get the impression that she doesnt want to give instructions that are too aggressive. she wants to stay on the safe side and give more mild instructions. anyway, maybe i'll call her this week and post what she says. peace.

All retinoids degrade rapidly and need special formulations as well as packaging to stay stable. Julies formulation uses water as well as poor packaging and she also does not use BHT which would stabilzie the retinoic acid if indeed it is retinoic acid. If it is retinoic acid then this would be tretinoin, ie same as retin A ingredient. However Julie is misleading in her ingredient list. Retinoic acid is not retinol like many of her customers think. All trans retinoic acid , retinoic acid, does not equal retinol or retinyl palmitate or any newer retinoids. It is a medicine and I believe she is misleading the public by using this term . I have used her product and it does degrade as all retinoids do but if your batch is not fresh you won't get the results you want. I believe she buys tretinoin and just mixes this in a base cream which would be against FDA regulations as it is a medicine. If she is not using tretinoin she should not use the term retinoic acid and call it what it is.

I have used this and really like it but I don't care for her and her business practices. And I don't think she knows squat about formulating products.

Shyana, I bought the peels (daily and correct) a couple of months back but only tried them once because the rubbing motion used to apply the cream really irritated my redness and broken capillaries. Was hoping to get the capillaries etc sorted out over the next few months and then try it again, but from what you’re saying the peels probably would have deteriorated by then especially because they were opened and looks like I’d have to buy them all over again. I put them in the fridge straight after trying, do you think this will help them last a bit longer?

edit: I guess I could use it with a cosmetic dermaroller?

Shayana, how do you know all this? how do you know all about formulas and stuff?? how long does it take for them to deteriorate? Like, if you buy an apeel daily, and use it everyday, how long is it good for, according to you?

BUT, Fizzgig, i've used both apeel correct, and daily, for a good while now. and i've used the same batch for months, i've even used a correct almost 6 months after i bought it, and i still peeled pretty well. if i were you i'd try them again before you go and buy new ones. i'm sure you'll still get a good peel.

anyway, i have to just go with what i've experienced, and i've had nothing but good results with her products, although there were times her HA deteriorated quickly. but she always replaced them for me, so.

Anyway, Shayana, i'm really interested in what you have to say, even though i havent noticed that. Do you use Retinoic acid products? if so, which ones do you recommend? because i've gotten good results w/ Julie's products, which you say deteriorate, im just thinking about the results i'd get with even better products!!

thanks all. peace.

Ok well I did not want to go here I was just responding to the questions asked about retinoid stability and Julies formula. If you search for my posts you will see I promoted APeel Correct when she first was marketing it. I still have. The reason being is there are few products that help scarring and this one can if done correctly. I am sick of things not helping people. If you read my posts I said that high tretinoin peeling is a way to go for acne scarring for many people. (Brazilian study) But I don't think she is honest nor does she understand retinoids. I never said it would not work, for some people it hasn't though. At first Julie was selling the A Peel Correct in 2 oz bottles for about 30.00. At that time she would never give out her ingredient lists until people began to demand it. I have a lot of product left and it acts like a low percent retinoid now. Which is fine but retinoids should have an expiration date. When I first had it I just needed a little pea size for a great deep peel. I never said you would not get results. But I asked Julie several times what she means by retinoic acid and she has never emailed me back. . Retinoic acid = tretinoin in medicine. This is the same as retin A except her formula goes against FDA and USP guidelines being that it is 2.5% retinoic acid. Also retinoic acid is prescription only in the US and to get this high of retinoic acid you will have to have a doctor write a script for it to be compounded. But if you have a business license you can buy tretinoin from any chemical supply house. From there it is easy just to add it to a base, as I believe she has done. For personal use this is not illegal but to sell it, it is.. If it is retinol then she is truely misleading her patrons because this is even more unstable than tretinoin and it is not called retinoic acid in any industry, medicine, cosmetic science etc.

In compounding formulations (from pharmacies)tretinoin is good for 6 months if done properly. Commercial Retin A. etc will have a longer shelf life due to more complicated formulation and packaging usually a year .

Retinoic acid acts by increasing celluar division/proliferation simply stated here. How many times can you force your skin cells to divide? There is a limit to celluar division for each cell. How much retinoic acid do you need here daily? This is why it is a medicine the science is emense. Acne is a keratin disfunction but stimulation of keratinocytes to turn over and over again will have adverse effects. You want to normalize this dysfunction that's what retinoids can do used properly. IMO for short term high percents in retinoids can help for some skin problems but high percents for daily use are dangerous.

Julie is deceptive here in her formulation and it is quite possible she has switched to another retinoid other than her first product. I don't know. Her instructions now are very different which makes me suspect this.

Also she used stolen pictures of Marriane's face from her website YTF (Yes They're Fake)as her own until Marriane found out. Marriane never used this product .Julie removed them with no apologies and this lost a lot of credibility with me. I have not bought her products again.

If you use her products just ask when they were formulated by her and when is the expiration date. See if she responds. And if it matters ask what does she mean by retinoic acid.

Retinoids degrade in oxygen,sunlight , water,moisture etc. You should not have to refigerate a good formulated product and packaged well. This is why you find taz, retinol and tretinoin in opaque squeese tubes.

Store below 80 F.

Retinoids will increase angiogenesis so if you have redness and capillary disorders use with extreme caution.

I am not sure what she means by her product will get stronger with time. This is misleading as well. What should be said is the effects on the skin when using retinoids will increase with time, this can be good and bad.

I have used Retin A and other retinoids for over 25 years now. I have used A Peel Correct to peel but formulate my own now for personal use. I am an RN Esthetician with my last specialty in dermatology before I retired from nursing 30 years. I contract now my services with doctors as I much as I want. but mostly I play now. I don't visit here much anymore.

If A peel is just a high-strength retinoid, is it possible to get the same effects by applying a lot of retin-a or tazorac?

Ahhh, Shyana- my experience with Apeel is all making sense to me now. I bought both Julie's Apeel daily and Apeel Correct, but I haven't been able to get barely any peeling with the Apeel Correct, and I couldn't figure out why I was getting more from Apeel daily, even though it is meant to be a weaker version. I am sure now, based on your posts, that the Apeel Correct I bought was probably not fresh and that's why I haven't gotten results, even though I have with Apeel daily, which I like very much, and I personally think is doing good things for my skin! In fact, I even noticed that I could feel the Apeel daily on my skin alot more than the Apeel Correct.

I have used Retin A and other retinoids for over 25 years now. I have used A Peel Correct to peel but formulate my own now for personal use. I am an RN Esthetician with my last specialty in dermatology before I retired from nursing 30 years. I contract now my services with doctors as I much as I want. but mostly I play now. I don't visit here much anymore.

You should visit here more often. We need more people like you who know what they're talking about.