Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

i'm really thinking of asking for accutane but i don't think i can stand that initial breakout. how bad is it? like the worst of you entire life or just more than you'd like? and skin drying, is it REALLY noticable? i wanna try tane, but i also have to go to school and although i wanna get rid of acne i also don't need to go to school looking like a red tomato/pizza face/dragon. i can deal with dry but i really don't wanna be all peely. is it really worth it with all the horror stories out there? i'm just really worried about all those side effects. and one more thing, do you have to have severe acne to get accutane? oh, and approxamitly how long will it be before my acne comes back?

I have persistant mild acne and I got on accutane. A little over 2 weeks and still no IB. I know that not everyone gets them. I definately think the end results would be worth any crap now. Results can last anywhere from a few months to forever! So far I am not dry at all, bp made me far more flaky. Its managable. Lips get pretty dry and chapstick will be your new best friend!!

Have you really tried everything else to get rid of your acne? Accutane is definatly the last resort and for a reason. I'd describe my initial breakout as the worst of my life ever. I had friggen massive spots bigger and worse than ever before and in areas on my face I'd never had before. I mean it was doing it's job, but it just sucked. Thankfully I went through my course over the summer I graduated from HS so I wasn't at school, but I still had to work at a grocery store none the less which of course had little kids. Let me say it broke me down.

Not trying to scare you away from it here or anything, but I just want to share my experience and make sure you've tried everything else first. Accutane is no joke. The dryness didn't really effect my face much. But it did dry my lips, nose, and my eyes. To this day even a year after taking it my lips still get chapped easy and my eyes are very sensitive/dry.

Some doctors will give out Accutane like lollipops and others are much more strict. Basically if you want it bad enough you'll be able to find a doctor that will give it to you. My acne went away for maybe a month afterwards and came back. Now granted it was a lot less than before and is easily controlled by the regimen, but it did come back. Accutane is not a magical cure all, nor is it easy to be on for everyone.

So the last bit of advice I wanna give is if you do decide to go on Accutane. If you experience any of the major side effects then let your doctor know. When I was on it I thought Accutane was my last hope and therefore when I did experience major side effects I didn't tell anyone for fear of getting taken off it. But I wish I had because now I'm left with permanent reminders.

Good luck and update us on your decision!

Definately go for it. Accutane is the only thing that has worked for me. Of course, there are side effects, but i haven't experienced much trouble with them. During the first few weeks I did have a lot of dryness, but then my body seemed to get used to it and it doesn't bother me as much now.

I did get an initial breakout, but it wasn't anywhere near what Differin gave me. Basically Accutane made everything come to the surface, and now, just 2 months later, I barely have anything - just a few red marks.

For me, accutane was nothing less than a miracle.