Notifications
Clear all

why not microdose on accutane forever?

MemberMember
(@guy20uk)

Posted : 01/27/2006 4:01 pm

does anyone know anything on long term microdosing accutane?? just wondering about long term microdosing, why not stay on it for ever. is it still as dangerous as a full course. it just seems that it would work if we stayed on accutane for as long as possible, or as long as we like. it stops the acne, so why not. are the dangers that much increased?

any thoughts?

MemberMember
(@flsupraguy)

Posted : 01/27/2006 10:48 pm

does anyone know anything on long term microdosing accutane?? just wondering about long term microdosing, why not stay on it for ever. is it still as dangerous as a full course. it just seems that it would work if we stayed on accutane for as long as possible, or as long as we like. it stops the acne, so why not. are the dangers that much increased?

any thoughts?

good question, i was wondering the same thing

MemberMember
(@kaos)

Posted : 01/27/2006 11:30 pm

Then how companies would make money out of you ? ;)

You have a good question, I wonder if there has been any studies in this regard.

MemberMember
(@djt)

Posted : 01/28/2006 1:21 pm

So I'm guessing you would need blood checks for as long as you stay on it? I wouldn't want needles in me every month. Besides, accutane is really taxing on the liver.

MemberMember
(@suetey81)

Posted : 01/28/2006 6:25 pm

uk guy how would you get that much accutane though? i'm due to stop soon and worried about gettin spots again but i want to try get it out of my system as it is avery toxic drug and there may be side effects they don't even know about yet -who knows!

MemberMember
(@proverbial)

Posted : 01/28/2006 6:29 pm

Accutane was not designed to be a drug for long term use. In fact, it wasn't even designed to be used with patients suffering from anything other than otherwise untreatable severe acne, but there ya go. Anyway, the body isn't gonna be happy tolerating accutane forever. "Microdose" courses are a silly idea, IMO, they're probably damaging in the long run for most people.

MemberMember
(@q)

Posted : 01/29/2006 2:02 am

someone here said that you would go blind eventually

MemberMember
(@ac3)

Posted : 01/29/2006 2:05 am

Accutane was not designed to be a drug for long term use. In fact, it wasn't even designed to be used with patients suffering from anything other than otherwise untreatable severe acne, but there ya go. Anyway, the body isn't gonna be happy tolerating accutane forever. "Microdose" courses are a silly idea, IMO, they're probably damaging in the long run for most people.

e-fucking-xactly!

Im glad someone cleared this up to all the morons that consider their mild acne so bad that they need accutane. For fuck's sake poeple, you don't need accutane, you need a fuckin PSYCHOtherapist..

Why you would want to poison your body for years is out of my ability to comprehend.. You do know accutane slows down your skins' healing ability, it overloads your liver, it fucks your hair cycles, creates bone disease... If you keep shoving this poison in yourself, your liver will eventually get fucked up. Its like those alcoholics who have been drinking for 30 years or somethin and their liver just fuckin dies and they hafta get a transplant. Then they go and they fuck THAT one up and they get another one and so on...

Liver your fucking life, unless you have SEVERE acne. Stop fucking thinking about accutane. It's absolutely ridiculous...

MemberMember
(@julielm)

Posted : 01/29/2006 7:15 am

I've heard of people being on the 'hollywood dose', taking something like 20 mg every three days...

If you're a guy I guess there wouldn't be AS MUCH of a problem as if you were a woman who eventually wants to conceive a child. Accutane must be completely OUT of your system before you do that, so oh well.

I'm on 60 mg/day for my second course. First course was low dose (20 mg/day) and i didnt go the full 5 months bc blood tests had bad results--don't drink the night before the test!! :) Hoping this time I'll be one the entire time (i'm in 3rd month now) and clear up for good!!!!

that's my $0.02.

MemberMember
(@neo-17)

Posted : 01/29/2006 1:13 pm

e-fucking-xactly!

Im glad someone cleared this up to all the morons that consider their mild acne so bad that they need accutane. For fuck's sake poeple, you don't need accutane, you need a fuckin PSYCHOtherapist..

There's nothing wrong with running 20mg/day for 4-5 months to clear up some persistant mild acne for good.

I agree with you on taking it forever - too liver toxic.

MemberMember
(@ac3)

Posted : 01/29/2006 6:25 pm

20 mg a day for 4-5 months will be efficient for the time you take it for mild acne. But your acne will come back in a couple of months anyway since the dose is not high enough to be permanent... It's just a waste of your money, and your health...

MemberMember
(@dangermouse)

Posted : 01/29/2006 6:38 pm

20 mg a day for 4-5 months will be efficient for the time you take it for mild acne. But your acne will come back in a couple of months anyway since the dose is not high enough to be permanent... It's just a waste of your money, and your health...

Every study I've seen shows that x% of people who use accutane will not go into remission.

Sure, some certainly will. But the fact is that accutane, for *some* people, will indeed be a permanent cure.

Why such a negative attitude all the time?

MemberMember
(@scorpio)

Posted : 01/29/2006 9:43 pm

Accutane is dangerous because it accumulates in the body.

Most things you consume including other prescription drugs get flushed out of the body over time but accutane this accumulation of accutane in the body is similar to the accumulation of poisonous heavy metals in certain ecosystems (causing many ecosystems to be destroyed).

K.. weird reference but basically you can't keep taking it or your body will become overloaded with it and you will become very sick or die.

I dunno about all of this for sure but its what I think based on what my derm told me about the accumulation.

MemberMember
(@guy20uk)

Posted : 01/31/2006 6:41 am

wow. a lot of interesting respones. yeh i agree with a lot of u, yeh long term accutane forever is going to fuck u up, no doubt, the drug is dangerous. i dont know what i was thinking. i was talking like a year or something realistically. ac3 - wow u really pissed me off at first with ur response as it was so harsh, but thinking about it, i guess some of it makes sense, and sometimes i feel like i do need a fuckin shrink or something. but hey, i know accutane is danerous and all, but ive alrady took that step to take the chance with it, and im sick of justifing reasons on this board. also thanx neo17 for justifiing the response - what so wrong with microdosing for a few months to get rid of some acne, u know.

anyway conclusion - why did i start this thread. its obvious that accutane is dangeous enough to be encouraging longer term usage! thanks for putting me straight guys! i really dont wanna be on accutane any any longer, i cant stand it anymore. the effect on acne is amazing, but everything else sucks. i think im gona microdose for 3 months max, on a simple 40mg a week. just by looking at my skin, it looks like it may relapse, and i just know if i dont microdose straight after my course now, and i do get a relaps, ill regret it forever)

MemberMember
(@simmo)

Posted : 01/31/2006 10:28 am

I'm on 20mg tane per week. Just started so I'll let you know how the Poisoning goes!!! I've had acne longer than I care to remember so if it gets me off those antibiotics for a while I'll happily waste my money and my health. I wish I didn't have to take any of this shit but then my skin would get me down so much I wouldn't go out and to me that is more a waste of a life!!!!

MemberMember
(@neo-17)

Posted : 02/03/2006 4:34 am

Not really, I took around this dosage and nowdays I only get mild acne, compared to the awful disgusting crap I had before (I have no pictures, but trust me it was bad. Not as bad as it gets, but painful and bad). I'm 99% sure accutane keeps working even after you take it. I wouldn't consider it a waste.

MemberMember
(@scorpio)

Posted : 02/03/2006 5:04 am

The chance for acne going away forever after accutane is about 50-60%... quite good in my opinion. If it does come back, it will come back only half as bad at worst.

Take another course and the chance of it leaving forever is increased to about 75%. Take a 3rd and it goes to 87.5% and so on.

Just make sure you follow your derm's guide carefully, making sure to eat alot before taking your accutane (or it will have no effect!).

MemberMember
(@gloriousbach)

Posted : 02/03/2006 12:09 pm

Someone mentioned the "Hollywood dose" and its true that in the USA models and actors/actresses especially in their teenage and early twenties are prescribed accutane on a low dose for a longer period of time to guarantee good skin for that period - Scarlett Johannsen is reportedly one of those who've done this.

Theres nothing wrong with it, results are good for mild/moderate acne and side effects minimal, but it doesn't have the same good remission rates as the full accutane course.

MemberMember
(@gosaints04)

Posted : 02/03/2006 8:47 pm

I know someone who has no acne and alternates 10 mgs with 20 mgs every other day. She said her skin never looked better than when she was on it, so her derm wrote her up. She started the same time I did (December '04.) I finished my treatment in May of '05 - she's still taking it. This is her second "course." Go figure.

MemberMember
(@neuvo-wavo)

Posted : 02/03/2006 9:11 pm

I started microdose in October, because I was starting to get a few pimples a year after finishing a standard Accutane course. It works like nothing else. I've got perfectly clear skin.

But I don't want to do it anymore because I'm starting to think it's overkill.

I got my family doctor to prescribe me some minocycline. But I can't decide whether I should start taking it or just let everything go and see how bad my skin will get. I never was able to determine how bad my acne was going to get post-Accutane, because I got right on low-dose at the first sign of trouble.

For all I know, I could manage it with Oxy-10 or something. I'm just so paranoid about getting a huge scarring breakout that I can't stand by and not do something.

MemberMember
(@entic)

Posted : 02/04/2006 4:06 am

Accutane is dangerous because it accumulates in the body.

Most things you consume including other prescription drugs get flushed out of the body over time but accutane this accumulation of accutane in the body is similar to the accumulation of poisonous heavy metals in certain ecosystems (causing many ecosystems to be destroyed).

K.. weird reference but basically you can't keep taking it or your body will become overloaded with it and you will become very sick or die.

I dunno about all of this for sure but its what I think based on what my derm told me about the accumulation.

Note: that is utter horseshit.

Why you would want to poison your body for years is out of my ability to comprehend.. You do know accutane slows down your skins' healing ability, it overloads your liver, it fucks your hair cycles, creates bone disease... If you keep shoving this poison in yourself, your liver will eventually get fucked up. Its like those alcoholics who have been drinking for 30 years or somethin and their liver just fuckin dies and they hafta get a transplant. Then they go and they fuck THAT one up and they get another one and so on...

BWAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAHAHAH! Have any proof to support your claims?

nicszer liked
(@Anonymous)

Posted : 02/04/2006 4:25 am

well, i have been on 40mg for 5 months now..and my acne is pretty much gone..just needs a little more work, i still get the odd spot and have the texture/pores problem..but my derm said keep on taking it, even after 1 month when im completely clear..so yeah, i have 3 more boxes sitting there..thats 180 x 20 mg pills..i was also thinking of taking 20mg a day for the next 6 months instead of 40mg the next 3..or 40mg the next 2 months and then 20mg a day to eventually 20mg every 3 days to once a week..until ive finally run out..there like magic pills..i especially like it how i eat whatever i want now and my skin never breaks out..

MemberMember
(@nicszer)

Posted : 03/07/2019 9:54 pm

I think that literally no study yet has found long term issues from accutane other than dry skin and lips.

It is my understanding that the government incentivizes myths about accutane because having the drug in the streetincreasestherisk of deformed babies. Deformed babies are a huge cost to the economy.

MemberMember
(@will_from_barcelona)

Posted : 03/13/2019 10:41 pm

The drug is hard on the liver, that's just a fact, so it's pointless to micro-dose it when you can just take the standard course and be done with it in a years time tops (maybe a bit more if you're unlucky and have to take a second course). It's also a waste of money inthe long run.