Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
april2003

Dan-new gel is ruining my skin

I think that Dan reads these...or at least I hope so. But I wanted to say that I think that the gel is definitely different since it came in a new tube several months ago. I started using the gel last summer (maybe May or June) and it made my skin look awesome! I could even not wear makeup and I felt that my skin looked great. I have a job where I work with a lot of clients on a daily basis and I even had people comment that I had really pretty skin...which had never happened before! I also told everyone that I knew that had any breakout problems about this stuff and they all had great results also.

I never had severe acne but it was enough where my skin did not look really great without makeup and I had tried lots of stuff and even been to dermatologists who did nothing for me.

Then when I got the new tubes I ordered several months ago they were in new packaging. I thought the packaging was just changed but the product seems different also...it made my skin really red and my mom said I looked sunburned. Also I would wake up in the morning and have splotchiness in different places on my skin...as well sometimes have small little dry red areas that looked like very small scabs. Also my skin was breaking out more...still less than before I ever used the gel but definitely not completely clear like it was with the old gel. I am so upset I feel like crying. Even though my breakouts are not that bad my skin tone looks gross and splotchy so I still have to wear makeup again. I just ordered more gel to give it another chance because maybe I got a bad batch, but I think my skin is reacting for some reason so I might have to send it back if it does it again.

Any advice Dan??

There is a new formula with less preservatives coming out in a week or two. The new preservatives, which Dan started using with the new packaging, seem to cause redness and irritation for some people. So, this next batch will have less preservatives.

Guest Poker-Butt

now...having less preservatives... does that mean that the gel can go bad?? like faster ...if its even possible...im just curious

No, I think it will still have a 2-year shelf life. Under optimal conditions, it would probably last a little longer than that. I don't know really. It takes a long time for it to go bad. :)

Guest funky_monkey

I was allergic to the old one. It made my face swollen and bright red. Awful stuff.

I was allergic to the old one. It made my face swollen and bright red. Awful stuff.

I was just curious, was it the old one that caused you an allergic reaction? And the second formula of CSR didn't give you any allergic reactions?

I just hope that the new formula works for everyone and its consistency is exactly like the original formula. I liked the original because it was watery, spreads evenly, and absorbed right into my skin. It felt great!

Why isn't this issue being addressed more? I too am having severe problems with the new gel. I understand why it was changed, but as an acne sufferer, Dan should know as well as anyone how terrible this problem makes our lives. I finally had my acne under control after 12 years of terrible breakouts, and now I am supposed to just deal with this new gel that does not work for me?

I want people to understand. I know that the saying is true, "until you've walked a mile in my shoes," but we all know what it is like to have acne here. While I am happy for those whom the new gel is not affecting, what about those of us who it is not? What do we do now? I thought The Regimen™ was all about helping those of us who suffer from acne - the gel is a huge part of that. Are we (those who are having these problems) simply going to be tossed to the wayside, left to suffer with our acne simply because we are the minority?

Somebody please tell me this isn't so.

There has to be a solution.

believe me, the problem is being addressed Webstar. Dan is doing everything he can to please as many people as he can, but in the end, it's impossible to please everyone all the time. But rest assurred, you are not being ignored, he's doing his best to try and get the formula tolerable for as many as possible.

Your frustration is understandable, just try and be patient for a while longer while he is working out the formula situation.

Argh I just bought 2 tubes of the new gel and I'm having this blotchy red problem too, it's horrible! I guess I'm just going to have to waste moeny buying the new stuff with less preservatives and hope that it solves the problem. The old stuff was so amazing, I'm gutted it's not available. Not happy! :evil:

Its not anyone's fault really...the gel works for me and many many others and I have really sensitive skin. Some people will be more sensitive than others, our body chemistries are so vastly different from one another, there is NO way that Dan will be able to make a formula that everyone will tolerate.

I personally am somewhat offended by comments such as the one above. I know that was not your intent, but you have to remember that your justification is based upon the fact that the new gel works for you. Say that The Regimenâ„¢ did not exist, or that Dan decided to switch to a 10% solution based upon the requests of the minority and the gel was too harsh for your skin - I am quite sure that you would be as frustrated as some are in this very thread.

We had found something that finally worked for our skin. We could finally walk out of our front door without being so self-conscious. That is no more. The solution may be difficult to implement but is not very difficult to see - create two different gels and let the acne sufferer decide which is right for them. If the CSR system's intent is to help those who suffer from acne a way to manage it, then this is the goal that must be. Remember, we all suffer from acne here. Some more severe than others, but it cannot be cured. I appreciate what Dan has been and is doing, but I cannot rest until a solution is implemented as an end result not only for myself, but also for everyone else who is suffering once again - even if that means taking money from my own pocket to see that happen.

Even if one person were suffering from the new gel, that one person is important - I think we need to remember that.

Brandy, I appreciate your response.

Hmm I'm currently using the new gel..(one with more preservatives) that I bought in the middle of January. I can't tell what it's doing to my face yet but it seems like its working-I do have that blotchy problem sometimes and other times not.

It's probably impossible to please everyone but maybe a Gigantic vote on a set date for which of the two gels (or three) is best or something. I personally have no idea.

@Web, yeah that sux that the gel isn't working as well as the old one for you. Hope you find a bp that works soon. Spectro 5% was good on my skin while I was waiting for Dan's new gel. Even though it does make my skin a little red-er...I overall like Dan's gel. Its consistancy is the best I've tried yet, and absorbes well.

I'm not on the regimen, but considering it. kinda. And I don't know what Dan's situation is with the manufacturer or anything but if someone is, and with people pretty split on the old and new, can someone inform people how come both can't be made available?

^ cause dan would have to order thousands of tubes at a time for each type of BP gel (cause of different ingredient labels) and also have to order new batches for each. I dont know how expensive or how large he has to order the batches of BP in, but Id figure that it would be a large chunk of investment.

I have a solution to the tube problem:

Order plain white tubes - no printing on the tubing itself - and stick a sticker on the tubes (ingredients list only). Shrink-wrap (very cheap) for safety as a seal (extremely low cost). It's cheap, but what counts is the product.

I work in an industry that does that all of the time when we need to get out product fast for cheap. Stickers require a minimum run (as I assume so does the gel), but they are cheap. I cannot imagine tubes without design costing a substantial amount - even if it is a different style, from a different manufacturer, in a different (smaller or larger) size.

All it takes is a bit of brainstorming. Beyond that, the most difficult obstacle is the required upfront expense. But there is a post that can potentially solve that problem as well.

I am going to do a search for chemistry manufacturers to get an idea of the cost associated with manufacturing the gel. If it is feasible, I will put forth the money necessary (until a solution is given – if not, looks like I'll have some work ahead of me). I have already contacted a company that I came across.

I'm having the same reaction - splotchiness, itchiness, redness, patches of rashy skin (from the 1st batch w/ the new packaging) - I just ordered 4 bottles of Paula's Choice bp via express shipping, going back to it even if it's more $$ (I do like the consistency of Dan's bp gel better though and the old stuff worked just as well as PC). I called to make sure they haven't changed the formulation :D Glad I came to the message boards to surf today bec I couldn't figure out what it was that was freaking out my skin!

Yes, I'm having the same problems:

-- red skin

-- extra dry

-- 3 new cystic acne spots in less than a week!

I am so sad - Dan's CSR had worked for me for 3 years. I guess I will try ordering the newer new gel to see if I got the ones with preservatives, and hope that it works.

Otherwise, I will try another BP gel. Thanks to Dan for trying hard to accomodate everyone, though!

The new gel doesn't seem to work as well as the old gel for me either. I just ordered the newest gel w/ less preservatives and I hope it will help my skin again! :|