Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Chris

shaving, i think

i was getting perfectly clear, now i have began shaving every few days to a week. at first it was nice having smooth shaved skin. now i have those darned whiskers on my shin and side of my face (between sideburns and cheeks) all of a sudden today i noticed 3 pimples on each side of my chin are all moist and bloody-like. and im getting a lot of red marks for upcoming pimples on the side of my cheeks. also getting on right under my bottom lip thats BIG, RED, and wide, that wont grow a head :D

i dont know if i need to shave more (whiskers causing it) or if im shaving and irritating. if i stop shaving ill be rugged looking if not i may get a lot of breakouts. *sigh*, just as i got clear, and boy does it suck going back to having acne and hiding

SHAVE is one of our daily routine..for men and some for women..i guest..right? I shave everyday and last time I got some small pimple after shaving with my razor.However, I don't have any pimple caused by shaving now because you should take precaution in these aspects when you are shaving. :wink:

:wink:

1. . You don't want to irritate your skin by dragging you razor all over your shaving area. When we are shaving, the razor will cut facial hair and the action will cause some irritation to our epidermis. However, the more the irritation, you will end up with more pimple due to irritation. So, if you afraid of irritating your skin, try a shaving cream but be sure it's non-comenogenic. Or else, you can just use the lather of your cleanser as a shaving cream...it's more time-saving..~

:mrgreen: 2. Your RAZOR. RAZOR's advertisement claimed that 'our razor has the 2 blades or 3 blades system which can cut your hair neatly and left you skin smoothly!' but...it will irritate your skin if not use properly. I know and understand mostly GUYs are in hurry and don;t like to spend too many time in bathroom...so they shaved fastly and irritation..then they will end up with ZITs..

3. Water temperature....not too COLD water and not too HOT water..WARM is the best~...warm water will make your skin more easily to be shaved. Don;t shave your skin without cleasing your shaving area because when there are excess oil on your surface skin and yet you still shave...wow..you will irritate your skin..so be sure to cleanse your face before shave.

4. Eletric RAZOR..this is a good alternative for those who want convenience, fast and DRY shaving...but...make sure it can shave smoothly..without plucking up instead or shaved your skin..

Okie..that's all...

cheers..god bless you all

garkee2002

i shave smoothly down (with hair), wash before and after with warm water, before applying my wash gel. i use a cheap 2-blade razor with the lubricator ripped off and sensitive skin non-comedegenic(sp?) shaving cream.

also, it didnt happen right after shaving, more like, this is 4 days after, seems the thick hairs are blocking my pores? i tried shaving everyday once before and had a ton of small red pimples all over my shaving area. im afraid to shave everyday right now :D, perhaps i will shave 2 days in a row and see how long till an outbreak.

2 days is enough also, i breakout the day after i do soemthing wrong, not a few days so that shuld help tell. oh, a VERY important question.....

now that i have thicker hair, it always gets stuck in the blade of the razor, hairs can carry bacteria exfoliated by shaving, therefore i should use a clean blade everytime one gets dirty(or in my case, with hair) yet i think buying a 4 pack of blades every 4th time i shaved would be rather silly. any comments?

sorry you done all that typing :D but i have been reading here a while and i havent seen much else on the topic of shaving so i though i would give it a shot for new remedies *i am getting sleeeeepy*

i will not sleep on my belly or side b/c my face touches my pillow, nor will i sleep on my hand due to oil secretion from hand pores. its wierd how i learned this from having acne, yet all my lan party friends lay flat on their face in the dirty floor and wake up slobbery and pimple free :D

Sorry Chris, maybe my article can't help you. I think maybe that's the problem of your shave cream as well as your facial cleanser. May I know what brand of the shave cream and facial cleanser that you used now???PLus, a one with acne shouldn't use RAZOR with 2 blade, they will cause irritation, one blade is OKIE...I would recommend you the GILLETTE SENSOR excel...although i know the price is NOT cheap...however, it is very gentle to skin...you should have a try for it...

:wink: Wish you good luck~..

god bless you all..

cheers,

garkee2002

my derm told me a single blade would b/c you have to take so many strokes to get a good shave. the regimen i use is the only thing that worked for my skin...

i use a glycolic oily skin wash at night, then i apply a bioclear mask, when i wake up, i shower and apply the mask. mask=2x daily, glycolic=1x daily.

the shave cream i use it colgate sensitive skin cream. i just shaved this morning, maybe i wont breakout :D

any news on clean blades, or old ones causing bacteria?

Phew....you used MASK twice a day..wow that's good..but be sure to choose a good cleanser. About the glycolic acid cleanser, don't make the lather goes into your eye...jeezz :wink:

A single blade razor is better for those who have senstive skin. But must be sure a NEW and sharp razor...shave along the hair , if miss..then start it all over again..instead of shave the un-shaved area for THOUSAND of times...

Clean your blade with an antiseptic in order to kill bacteria..then dry it by hanging it...then you can use it again...

hopefully can help..

do you live in US???can u give me help in real life if u live in US???

cheers,god bless you all,

garkee2002 :wink:

Several things:

1. You should most likely shave daily. This makes it less irritating each time you shave because there's less to plow through.

2. Consider the sensor excel. So much less irritating.

3. Use only cleanser lather to shave. We have no idea what shaving cream might be doing to your skin.

Beard follicles never get zits in them. When you look at them under a microscope you can see that the hairs are simply too powerful to ever let the follicle get plugged. Zits happen only in follicles with tiny hairs, but there are more than 200 of these per square centimeter on your face!

Also, keep changing blades often, but not because you are concerned with bacteria. Bacteria on the surface is not what we're concerned with. The reason to change blades regularly is to cut down on irritation.

Lastly, re-read the regimen and re-watch the videos to make sure you're following everything closely.

-Dan

Here's what I need to do when I shave, which is quite a bit different to the above posts, but when it comes to my face, nothing is conventional:

What I use:

Mach 3 turbo blades(I have a thick beard, and this does the job with the least amount of strokes. Expensive, though)

Aveeno shaving cream (again, kind of pricey, but it feels good and nourishes the skin).

Shaving brush (any will do, with good bristles, that is)

Before I shave:

Take a shower and during the shower, constantly wet a wash cloth with hot water and soak on your face.

After about 5 minutes of soaking, wash your face with whatever soap you use, but leave it on for a few minutes so it softens the beard.

Wash off soap and soak a little bit more before exiting shower.

The shaving process:

I apply the Aveeno shaving cream and work it into a nice lather with the shaving brush.

Now, for actual shaving, I used to first go with the grain, then re-apply shaving cream and go against the grain, but I figured I was wasting cream and time, so I now just shave against the grain. Some people may not recommend this(it will take awhile to learn how not to irritate and cut your face with this method), but for me, it's the only way to get a smooth shave without stubble.

I like to go in one long stroke from the neck to the face, washing off every stroke until I get to my chin area, where I need some cream on my razor so not to cut that tough area around the mouth. If there is any stubble left, I add some shaving cream, lather, and with a quick strokes, get rid of the remaining stubble. I then rinse off my face and add a quick wash with my soap (Oil of Olay bar soap) to get off any residue. Then I do my skin care regimen after this.

Yes, make sure you change blades often. If you shave everyday, change every week. If you shave every other day, then one blade should last about 2 weeks.

I can't shave everyday.....I just get irritated and easily cut, and for whatever reason, the thicker my beard is, the easier it is to shave w/o irritation.

Guest fatman_uk
one with acne shouldn't use RAZOR with 2 blade, they will cause irritation, one blade is OKIE...I would recommend you the GILLETTE SENSOR excel

LOL, thats a bit contradicting Garkee, the Sensor Excel has TWO blades... :roll:

-Gaz

Your shaving style sounds so irritating, I'm quaking :?

Why?

1. The Mach 3 is much more irritating than the Excel

2. You are applying a washcloth to the skin over and over again. May be irritating. The goal is to touch the face as little as possible.

3. You're using a shaving brush instead of bare hands.

4. Shaving twice, first with, then against the grain. Very irritating to shave against the grain. You'll get a closer shave, but at what price?

5. Washing, shaving, washing again. When using lather to shave it's simply wash and go, and you're not risking overwashing.

6. Not shaving daily. I can't imagine that it is easier to shave after you have waited a few days. This one confuses me. The longer I wait to shave, the harsher the experience.

-Dan

Well, Dan, I can definitely understand your "quaking" :wink: , but this is what works for me, and I typically don't have acne on the sides of my face, though as I speak I have a few buggers :D

1. I have a really thick beard, the type that even after I shave, their is still somewhat a shadow and the they are tough hairs. I used the Sensor Excel back in high school when I used to shave with the grain, but I'm sure you'll agree that going with the grain will still leave stubble, which will make thick-bearded fellows look like bums. I don't really find the Mach 3 Turbo irritating at all and it usually gets the job done with one or two strokes.

2. If you shave with the grain, then it's real easy. Wash, apply cream, shave. However, I feel for that really good shave, especially against the grain, preparation is the key. I find that a really wet beard that has been softened with soap and plenty of hot water is much easier to shave w/o cuts. I just place the washcloth on my face, I don't rub it into my skin.

3. The brush might be a bit unnecessary, but I like how it smoothes out the shaving cream.....just using my hands tends to put more cream in one area and less where it might be needed more.

4. Ok, I used to shave with, then against the grain, but now just shave against and irritation is at a minimum. Again, it comes down to: do you want a shave that will not irritate your skin and acne, yet leave you with constant stubble, or do you want that smoothe face? If you're less acne-prone on the cheeks like I am, then the latter is the answer.

5. I think you're shaving regimen advices the use of soap lather to shave. Again, I just disagree, but I see your point of washing my face again after shaving. However, for me(and I don't recommend my regimen to anyone, really), I feel like it's better to feel secure in washing off shaving cream residue.

6. Since I get a really good shave, to shave the next day is almost unnecessary. However, even the day after that, my skin is really sensitive, and if have to shave every other day, my skin is still easily irritated. True, the thicker the beard, the more the effort, but my face always feels better this way. Shaving often feels like I'm not really shaving hairs at all, but just cutting and burning my skin.

Well, that's just an explanation. Thanks for the concern. :D

I thought you were complaining that you had broken out and thought it coincided with shaving. If you're not concerned I guess we don't have any issues :D

Oh, ok.....I just figured I would post something about my own shaving experiences to try to give a helping hand......I learned shaving through the "trial and error" method, or as I fondly remember it as...."the shave, cut, bleed, and agonizing pain" method, so if the young 'uns need some direction, I want to help.

Thanks anyway :wink:

Always shave with the grain.........you might get away with shaving against it but for others this will be a disaster as it encourages ingrown hairs and irritation. People with curly hair or lots of growth are more likely to have problems.