Notifications
Clear all

Accutane: Knees popping on only 40 MG??!!

MemberMember
(@salamander)

Posted : 01/26/2006 11:14 pm

Hi, everyone. I'm new here. I'm 29 and taking accutane for the second time (first time when I was 18). I was on 20 mg for a month, now am on 40 mg for 2 weeks. My knees started popping tonight, and my right one pops with every step! Does this mean that I'll be getting the joint pain soon? Argh! I'm tempted to throw in the towel and try Aldactone, but I really want this stuff to work! Any advice would be greatly appreciated :-)

MemberMember
(@blackbetty)

Posted : 01/27/2006 10:16 am

Take Glucosamine, Vit C, Vit E and Omega 3-6-9

MemberMember
(@beentheredonethat)

Posted : 01/27/2006 10:27 am

I started experiencing joint effects on 20mg a day, and they got a bit worse at 40mg. I take odorless fish oil and that's more than sufficient to counteract it for me. I was taking a single capsule with my Accutane dose. Now i'm occasionally taking two a day if my joints are acting up a bit. It takes about 3 days of use for them to kick in, and about a week for full effect at a single capsule per day for me. If i was you i might take 2 capsules, twice a day, for a few days to get some initial relief, then taper that dose down until you find out how much you need to take daily. If i get to the point where i'm taking 4 of them a day i may consider adding glucosamine.

MemberMember
(@proverbial)

Posted : 01/27/2006 10:33 am

Just make sure it's not cod liver oil you're taking, that's a vitamin A like substance and will worsen your side effects in conjunction with accutane.

MemberMember
(@neuvo-wavo)

Posted : 01/27/2006 10:54 am

When I started my low dose Accutane regimen in October, I experienced something very strange. Within an hour of taking my second 40mg dose, my knees and my ribs (!) began to ache terribly. This sudden, shooting pain lasted only about fifteen minutes, and I never felt anything like it again.

But from that moment on, I have had ever-worsening stricture and soreness throughout my body, as if my joints have been rubbed raw. And I have only ingested about eight 40mg pills total over the past three months.

I'm very disturbed by this. When I did my full course two years ago (40-60mg/day), I had some minor lower back aches, but noticed very little or no additional joint pain at all. And I was fairly active.

I don't know enough to say whether these effects can have any lasting impact on my joints. I'm shocked I am experiencing anything like this because of the incredibly low dose I am taking.

I'm contemplating stopping Accutane, because I'm aware that it can have a powerful effect on the skeletal system, particularly in repeat customers.

MemberMember
(@proverbial)

Posted : 01/27/2006 10:57 am

I think it is very likely that the full course somehow weakened your joints for the second time around. Often side effects on subsequent courses are worse. You should speak to your derm about this - having acne is one thing, but not being able to walk without experiencing pain is quite another.

MemberMember
(@neo-17)

Posted : 01/27/2006 12:12 pm

I think it is very likely that the full course somehow weakened your joints for the second time around. Often side effects on subsequent courses are worse. You should speak to your derm about this - having acne is one thing, but not being able to walk without experiencing pain is quite another.

I had the knee pain on my course. it was the reason I stopped taking it. I would literally get out of bed and my joints would crack like crazy.

it took 2+ months to go away AFTER I stopped. i held out for one month on the course, but it only got worse. it eventually did go away though.

be careful

MemberMember
(@aly09)

Posted : 06/04/2021 3:28 pm

Im having the same problem, my knee clickseverytime I step.I stopped using Acutane 4 days ago and started on fish oil tablets, once per day.I have not experienced this problem while i was on it.The reason i stopped was because i was feeling extremely thirsty all the time.I am so scared that it will begin to hurt orthat it might have damagedmy meniscus. It has been going on for three days now. I am very concerned and I don't know what to do

MemberMember
(@amanda-hall)

Posted : 06/04/2021 7:25 pm

This has nothing to do with supplements because I don't know the science behind any of that or any correlations.

All I'll say is that I've spoken to several doctors and they said that as long as it's not painful, you're fine. One said it could be air bubbles inside (hmmm). I don't take supplements other than Vitamin D and I've had the popping/clicking occur before. I don't have that anymore. I don't know why,