Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys.

I've read many times that milk can cause acne or make acne more severe.

But WHY does milk cause acne? Because of the milk sugar, iodine, protein, lactose??

And when normal milk makes ur skin worse, can u drink oat milk, soy mil or rice milk instead?

Oat milk, rice milk and soy milk are without lactose and sugar.

Milk makes me breakout. I cut out milk for 1 month now and not a single zit has flared up since(knock on wood) Yet I can eat pizza with cheese and have no problem....weird

Hey guys.

But WHY does milk cause acne? Because of the milk sugar, iodine, protein, lactose??

And when normal milk makes ur skin worse, can u drink oat milk, soy mil or rice milk instead?

Iodine.

I dont drink milk of any kind, I take supplements.

Iodine.

I highly doubt it's the iodine content.

Regular milk and cheese break me out badly, but I eat a lot of organic kefir (which is almost the same as yogurt) and that doesn't break me out at all. They all have iodine.

I'm not exactly sure what it is about milk and cheese that break me out. It could be the added hormones (in non-organic dairy). I haven't tried consuming a lot of organic regular milk or organic cheese to know of those break me out or not.

Or it could be the casein, which is a protein in milk that is difficult to digest, at least for some people. Milk and cheese stuff up my nose for that reason (kefir doesn't have casein, or much of it).

Rice milk and almond milk are fine. Soy milk is not, in my opinion.

Iodine.

Regular milk and cheese break me out badly, but I eat a lot of organic kefir (which is almost the same as yogurt) and that doesn't break me out at all. They all have iodine.

I'm not exactly sure what it is about milk and cheese that break me out. It could be the added hormones (in non-organic dairy). I haven't tried consuming a lot of organic regular milk or organic cheese to know of those break me out or not.

Or it could be the casein, which is a protein in milk that is difficult to digest, at least for some people. Milk and cheese stuff up my nose for that reason (kefir doesn't have casein, or much of it).

It IS the Iodine, would you like me to provide you with links that say so? Google Milk and Acne and you will get tons of links and research that say it has been PROVEN that the Iodine in Milk will and can cause/worsen acne. I will gladly back up what I say with links, just let me know.

I hardly believe that it's the iodine that makes the acne worse.

I think some people have a lactose intolerance.

that's why they break out. the arey allergic to lactose.

that's my opinion.

@Jess: Have u tried oat milk or rice milk instead of regular milk?

I hardly believe that it's the iodine that makes the acne worse.

I think some people have a lactose intolerance.

that's why they break out. the arey allergic to lactose.

that's my opinion.

@Jess: Have u tried oat milk or rice milk instead of regular milk?

No, I dont drink milk because I dont like it, not because of acne. So I haven't tried any other type of milk, I take supplements. Worth a try I guess.

Side note: An allergic reaction to milk doesn't break everyone out. My brother can not drink milk because he is lactose intolerant and he didn't break out because of it.

There are many many links that link Iodine in milk to acne, I've read them, they're out there. Whether you want to believe them or not is your option, but you asked and I answered with what I know and have read. Milk doesn't break everyone out, my husband drinks it daily and doesn't break out. Sure, there might be other ingred. in Milk that people have a reaction to also, but Iodine is what I've read that can make *most* people prone to breakouts worse.

Iodine.

It IS the Iodine, would you like me to provide you with links that say so? Google Milk and Acne and you will get tons of links and research that say it has been PROVEN that the Iodine in Milk will and can cause/worsen acne. I will gladly back up what I say with links, just let me know.

I'm aware that there are studies linking iodine and acne. I tend to go by my personal experience over some study. If it's the iodine, why doesn't organic kefir break me out? I even at one time was taking kelp supplements which are loaded with iodine and my skin did not get worse.

Did the people studying the milk and acne connection consider that it could be something in the milk other than the iodine that worsens acne?

This is what you call proof?

Acne, Milk and the Iodine Connection

Dermatologists seem to agree that something in milk and dairy products may be linked to teen-age acne.

But is it hormones and "bioactive molecules," as a study in the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology suggested, or is there something else?

University at Buffalo dermatologist Harvey Arbesman, M.D., says there could be something else: Iodine.

Arbesman, a UB clinical assistant professor of dermatology and social and preventive medicine, details his reasoning in a letter published in the "Notes and Comments" section of the current (December) issue of the journal.

"It has been well-established since the 1960s that iodine intake can exacerbate acne," said Arbesman. "Nevertheless, various studies have shown there is still a significant level of iodine in milk in several countries, including the U.S., Britain, Denmark, Norway and Italy.

"Farmers give their cows iodine-fortified feed to prevent infection," he noted, "and they use sanitizing iodine solutions on their cows' udders and milking equipment. Consequently, there is lot of iodine in dairy products. For that reason, I've advised my acne patients for years to decrease their dairy intake."

Arbesman suggests the connection between acne and dairy products observed in the study could be secondary to the iodine content of the dairy products. "More importantly," he said, "the connection could be a combination of hormones and iodine."

It's important to bring the iodine connection to the fore to encourage the dairy industry to address the issue, Arbesman said. He suggested that future studies on the relationship of milk products and acne should consider the role iodine content may play.

iodine caused a terrible breakout for me.. and milk is filled with iodine.. i read that in a study they found the average amount in 1 litre of milk is like 460mcg.. and the rdi is only 150mcg.. so 1 glass and ur pretty much there.. i dont see a problem in taking whats reccomended but if you go overboard enough it could cause you trouble.. i got acne all my jaw line.. under my nose.. beside my eyes.. all over my neck.. and those are places i usually dont break out.

U know thinking about it ever since i stopped drinking milk my skin cleared up pretty well....looks lik i should start taking som suppliments also

I don't think iodine is the problem.

Iodine DOES NOT cause acne, but it can make it worst. I've ate plenty of other foods with high iodine content(like 6 scrambled eggs) and never broke out. Milk contains a lot of different hormones and protein that seems to be causing acne for most people.

As for cheese, I'm sure the process itself destroys the hormones in milk and such. The process also eliminates lactose, which is why lactose-intolerant people can eat cheese, but at the same time it has to be hard cheese like swiss cheese.

Hey guys.

Milk can cause acne for some people cause of the hormones from the cows in it or the proteins in it. I don't drink milk anymore, cause it's so unhealthy, but I didn't give me acne though.

Soy milk can be dangerous if you're intolerant or allergic for soy, rice milk has a high glycemic index.

To explain how the Glycemic Index can cause acne>> High GI foods cause a quick blood sugar rising (insulin rising) that stimulates the androgene hormones to cause excessively oily skin.

To explain how the Glycemic Index can cause acne>> High GI foods cause a quick blood sugar rising (insulin rising) that stimulates the androgene hormones to cause excessively oily skin.

That's interesting, because Kligman did a test many years ago in which he gave 100 mg of methyl testosoterone every day to male subjects (and in some cases, as much as 300 mg per day), and there was no effect on their sebum production. Kligman's own explanation for that was that the natural, endogenous androgen levels in normal males is already sufficient to "max-out" the sebaceous response, so further amounts of androgens had no effect (at least within the limits tested by his experiment).

So it would appear that the common sugar ---> insulin ---> androgen ---> sebum ---> acne hypothesis that's frequently mentioned on this site is unlikely to be the correct explanation.

Bryan

does soy milk cause the same results? I recently started taking weight gainer, so I've been drinking 3+ glasses of milk a day and of course I starte breaking out. I always thought it was the milk but didnt wanna admit it cause I love the stuff. What if I switched over to soy milk?

I don't think iodine is the problem.

Iodine DOES NOT cause acne, but it can make it worst. I've ate plenty of other foods with high iodine content(like 6 scrambled eggs) and never broke out. Milk contains a lot of different hormones and protein that seems to be causing acne for most people.

As for cheese, I'm sure the process itself destroys the hormones in milk and such. The process also eliminates lactose, which is why lactose-intolerant people can eat cheese, but at the same time it has to be hard cheese like swiss cheese.

eggs dont have near as much iodine as a glass of milk does.. and i doubt you would break out from doing this once.. when i broke out horribly.. i was taking a multivitamin with 100% of the rdi.. and probably drinking over a litre of milk for weeks.. and than it hit me like a ton of bricks.. one day i looked in the mirror and noticed how bad my acne had gotten.

That's interesting, because Kligman did a test many years ago in which he gave 100 mg of methyl testosoterone every day to male subjects (and in some cases, as much as 300 mg per day), and there was no effect on their sebum production. Kligman's own explanation for that was that the natural, endogenous androgen levels in normal males is already sufficient to "max-out" the sebaceous response, so further amounts of androgens had no effect (at least within the limits tested by his experiment).

So it would appear that the common sugar ---> insulin ---> androgen ---> sebum ---> acne hypothesis that's frequently mentioned on this site is unlikely to be the correct explanation.

Bryan

That's just the like some people saying that food doesn't affect acne. for some people it really doesn't but with others it does. I guess you have to find out for yourself (the hard way)

That's just the like some people saying that food doesn't affect acne. for some people it really doesn't but with others it does. I guess you have to find out for yourself (the hard way)

Sorry, but I think the fact that a group of test subjects given testosterone directly had no measurable increase in sebum production is a LOT more significant than the fact that some people think that what they eat affects their acne. There's no comparison.

I want to emphasize that I don't dismiss out of hand the general idea that what you eat could conceivably affect your acne, but let's not just make up ideas about the exact mechanism of how that happens. Kligman's findings would appear to kill the assumption that sugar ---> insulin ---> androgen ---> sebum ---> acne. If food really does affect acne at all, it must be for some other reason, through some other mechanism.

Bryan

Sorry, but I think the fact that a group of test subjects given testosterone directly had no measurable increase in sebum production is a LOT more significant than the fact that some people think that what they eat affects their acne. There's no comparison.

I want to emphasize that I don't dismiss out of hand the general idea that what you eat could conceivably affect your acne, but let's not just make up ideas about the exact mechanism of how that happens. Kligman's findings would appear to kill the assumption that sugar ---> insulin ---> androgen ---> sebum ---> acne. If food really does affect acne at all, it must be for some other reason, through some other mechanism.

Bryan

with ''people'' I mean doctors en scientists who have studied the effects of food on acne and concluded (think) that it hasn't got any links.

I don't think that ONE group of test subjects is more significant than ALOT of other studies. Don't base you're opinion on ONE study , do more research and you'll find out there are ALOT more tests, studies blablabla

Guest Cubsfan

it may be the Inuslin Like Growth Factor 1 (IGF-1) in milk that causes acne, although one may argue that it is the fatwa in milk that causes acne

does lowfat milk/fat free milk have a lower iodine content making it a better alternative than whole fat milk?

...although one may argue that it is the fatwa in milk that causes acne

BWAHAHAH!! Dang, Cubsfan, it's been so long since the last one, I was afraid you'd stopped doing those! :D

Bryan

Guest Cubsfan

bryan are you a fan of the british comedy 'mind your language?'

I don't have access to it, so I've never seen it. Is it a sit-com with characters doing the same thing, or is it something else?

Bryan