Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jasmin

acne scars made to look worse with lighting and angles

Do you guys think doctors can exagerate your scars by using certain angles and lighting when taking before pictrues. I am very aware of my scars looking better under certain lighting but do you think scars can be made to look worse than they really are in pictures. My scars bother me enough to want to spend alot of money on them but when I compare myself to others with many large and deep scars, I consider myself lucky. Also many dermatologist I consulted with including dr. Rullan said my scars are not bad. His aesthetician said they are hardly noticeable. However when I saw some before pictures he took, they look horrible. like wide craters all over. In 2 of the pictures my skin looks alot smoother. I have never seen myself looking that horrible before even when I looked in my compact closely at work under fluorescent lighting. My mom doesnt think my scars ever looked as bad as they do in the pictures either.

A bright light source that is indirect creates shadows highlighting the indents. I sent closeup pictures of me in a situation where there was diffuse indoor lighting with a skylight. Drs could not really much scarring in these pictures. Then I went under garage roof with bright sun outside, but just inside the shadeline coming into the garage. The scars became pits. So, harsh indirect light makes a huge difference.

A bright light source that is indirect creates shadows highlighting the indents. I sent closeup pictures of me in a situation where there was diffuse indoor lighting with a skylight. Drs could not really much scarring in these pictures. Then I went under garage roof with bright sun outside, but just inside the shadeline coming into the garage. The scars became pits. So, harsh indirect light makes a huge difference.

So do you think with that indirect lighting that casts shadows, can make your scars look deeper than they actually are? I have looked at my scars in all kinds of lighting before the exoderm and they never looked as bad as those before pictures. I was wondering if the shadows can make the pits look deeper than they actually really are.

jasmin, didn't you get exoderm w/ dr. rullan?

Yes I did and I really regret it and it really angers me because besides the money, going through this procedure is a big ordeal. I know the proexodermists try to make it sound like it is not so bad but it is a real hassle and there is pain involved, besides the emotional pain of having nothing happen and taking a step back in something that is so important to your self esteem. I just found out yesterday of one more person that had a touch up and saw no improvements. I have been the one who has posted the most but besides Nambrobi, there are 2 other exoderm patients who have not seen improvement with his peel, and one of them also had the touch up. All these people also paid for a nurse to take care of them. Luckily I had a relative go with me and I am in Los Angeles but when I asked the nurse they highly recommend how much she charges, she said $300 a night and they require that someone stay with you for the first three nights. So add $900 to $5000 plus medications, transportation and if you dont have insurance an ECG, HIV test, etc.

jasmin, didn't you get exoderm w/ dr. rullan?

Yes I did and I really regret it and it really angers me because besides the money, going through this procedure is a big ordeal. I know the proexodermists try to make it sound like it is not so bad but it is a real hassle and there is pain involved, besides the emotional pain of having nothing happen and taking a step back in something that is so important to your self esteem. I just found out yesterday of one more person that had a touch up and saw no improvements. I have been the one who has posted the most but besides Nambrobi, there are 2 other exoderm patients who have not seen improvement with his peel, and one of them also had the touch up. All these people also paid for a nurse to take care of them. Luckily I had a relative go with me and I am in Los Angeles but when I asked the nurse they highly recommend how much she charges, she said $300 a night and they require that someone stay with you for the first three nights. So add $900 to $5000 plus medications, transportation and if you dont have insurance an ECG, HIV test, etc.

And in case you dont see improvement in your scars and he convinces you, that the touch up will finally do the trick, thats $250 more after that if you dont see improvement he will suggest fillers but of course these are not included in the $5000 price tag. His nurse wrote on a message board that their "program" which they claim includes touch ups and fillers can improve scars 60-80% but when several members asked her if the fillers and touch ups in their program is included in the price she did not respond. When I was given an estimate of 80% this was for the exoderm with second day abrasion. They told me my scars did not look bad and they should respond with the exoderm and second day abrasion, and they did not even think I would require a touch up. Well now they are saying I am being unfair in posting my lack of results because I have not been through their whole "program". These are the type of bullshiters you'll be dealing with if you go for Dr. Rullans award winning phenol peel. He won an award for a paper he wrote on this peel in which he explains how inexpensive this peel is for doctors to purchase compared to lasers, and that is why he calls his peel award winning on his website.

I think acne scars are 100% perception, which is highly dependent on angle and lighting, as well as actual depth/width, etc. I don't know what actual is. I guess we could try to imperfectly measure depth and width.

I also forgot to mention angle. Even with good light, if you look in at an angle to the scar you have better depth perception than if you look straight on making the scar more evident from an angle. I am guessing that the 45 degree angle provides the clearest outline of the scar while it is not evident from 0or 180 and is not very noticable at 90.