Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hi! I thought I posted this before but I couldn't find it again so here goes. I have these pimples that I think are cysts. They get huge, painful & last forever. Here's the gross part, IF the thing ever gets the little white thing where I can see it I can get a pair of tweezers & pull out the whole sack thingy (once out it looks like a soft pearl) then it heals quickly but leaves like a huge pore/chickenpox scar. IF the white never comes to the surface or if for some reason I screw up & only pull out 1/2 the "pearl" then it lasts forever & eventually leaves the same giant pore/chickenpox scar :( Is there anyone else who has this or is there anything that can be done to make these go away faster? I've tried compresses, OTC stuff, home remedies, & am now 3 weeks into doxycycline/clindagel/retin-a micro/& a BP shower cleanser. Please Help!!!!

-Crisco

ouch!

I cringed a little when I read your post...

If the cyst is bothering you that much, go to the dermatologist.

As someone with little money and shitty health insurance, I can understand how difficult that can be.

But youre at risk for major scarring!!

And that lasts longer than cysts do....

Good luck and stop picking!!

For one, yes it is a cyst. Two, don't squeeze it or irritate it or anything. I know its hard, but I've found out that if you just leave it alone then it will probably go away faster without such a terrible scar.

And three...I don't know how in the world you could manage to stare at it enough to conclude that it looks like "a pearl". Thats just freaky. ;)

Well, it's only if I pull the nasty thing out. I can see it at the surface sometimes & then if I pick at it with a tweezer like I said (I know a big no no) the whole little sack or plug or what ever comes out & if intact it's just a perfect round little bead??? Weird! & it sucks!! cause sometimes they can be seen from the surface but the little bag or what ever can be really deep :(

So even with all the drugs I listed in the first post & only 3 weeks into them you guys think accutane? That's what my derm told me if this treatment didn't work. I go back to see her in 1.5 months (that's the next appt. she gave me)

Thanks for all your help guys!

-Crisco

Can you go to a derm and get cortisone shots? These are supposed to help heal cysts. I think the meds you are on will help prevent future cysts, but maybe not do much for the ones you have.

endtromic cysts aka dry cysts. This is exactly what I have. Accutane helped a little thought it didn't clear them all up for ages :( i'm going on the second course soon.

Stop picking I have horrible scarring from it. Also the more you pick the further the 'sacks' go into your skin.

You need to see a derm asap. I dont think much more will help you. Cysts like this are long lasting especially if they are on the body. The antibiotic medications weren't much cop for me. Give them a go though, I haven't found many people with this sort of acne though, its really odd.

:clap: Great! Leave it to me to get the odd type cystic acne :(

I went to the derm 3 wks. ago think I should call and make another appt? My next one isn't till March :confused:

-Crisco

Your derm should have injected the existing cysts that were raised (bur since you remove the junk yourself I think she couldn't do it) It's really good to have them injected of course you can't have them injected long term it's not safe but thats where accutane comes in,whole goal is to get Clear & NOT scar or scar as miminial as possible.If you can't afford accutane or your inurance won't cover it.. simply have your derm fill out a form and Roche mails the whole 5 month supply to your doctor free of charge,called the Indigency program and they are great with it,so don't worry about getting the accutane i'd worry about using tweezers and such and just let is all go by itself. I know when I was on accutane with the cysts I had and as many as I had on my chin/neck i DID NOT scar. I hope you stop the tweezers thing,and can get the accutane,at least get the cortizone shots so you can no tweeze it.

All the best,

Rich

I know exactly what you are talking about. I've had cystic Acne for around 2 years now. Coincidentally, it started after I took a thorough course of Doxycycline and Tetracycline, both of which did no good. Before that, I only had moderate acne.

Yes, they hurt like hell. Yes, they look even worse. And yes, they do scar. They are the most horrible form of Acne and I really hope you are able to find a good treatment for them like Accutane.

I just had yet another cyst a few days ago on my chin. My cysts are not quite like yours are though. When mine 'come to head' as I like to call it (come to the surface and begin to scab)... I generally have 3 of those white pearl shaped pus bags right under the skin, all rolled into one pimple. This last time, there were actually four. Unlike you though i've never had the guts to actually pull any of them out, so I wouldn't know about the shape (Although i've done it once with a much smaller one.. don't think it was a cyst though, not like these at least).

It's really weird how they form. It's like three pimples come up right next to each other, except that the raised area and scab makes it appear to be one. I tried taking a picture of this last one but my digital camera sucks. Not that anyone would really want to see it though I guess.. I can barely stand looking at it myself :lol2:

Oddly, I get most of these on my chin or forehead, and they never seem to scar. Ever. My cheek is a whole different story though. :doubt: Last one was on my chin. I picked it raw one day, let it scab over for a couple days, then when it looked dried up, gently peeled it off. Nothing left but a red mark.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I've had cystic Acne for around 2 years now. Coincidentally, it started after I took a thorough course of Doxycycline and Tetracycline, both of which did no good. Before that, I only had moderate acne.

Yes, they hurt like hell. Yes, they look even worse. And yes, they do scar. They are the most horrible form of Acne and I really hope you are able to find a good treatment for them like Accutane.

I just had yet another cyst a few days ago on my chin. My cysts are not quite like yours are though. When mine 'come to head' as I like to call it (come to the surface and begin to scab)... I generally have 3 of those white pearl shaped pus bags right under the skin, all rolled into one pimple. This last time, there were actually four. Unlike you though i've never had the guts to actually pull any of them out, so I wouldn't know about the shape (Although i've done it once with a much smaller one.. don't think it was a cyst though, not like these at least).

It's really weird how they form. It's like three pimples come up right next to each other, except that the raised area and scab makes it appear to be one. I tried taking a picture of this last one but my digital camera sucks. Not that anyone would really want to see it though I guess.. I can barely stand looking at it myself :lol2:

Oddly, I get most of these on my chin or forehead, and they never seem to scar. Ever. My cheek is a whole different story though. :doubt: Last one was on my chin. I picked it raw one day, let it scab over for a couple days, then when it looked dried up, gently peeled it off. Nothing left but a red mark.

Hey, I'd like to see it. Not cause I'm gross just to see if they're similar to mine. Mine usually starts as just a red sore bump & feels huge then over time it gets smaller & that's when I see the "pearl" but yea, that lasts forever & I get the scabby thing too. I think it's healing but never does. Now I'm to the point where I'm psycho with it & want it gone so that's when I turn to the tweezers (which by the way I promise not to do ever again) This retin-a I'm on seems to be thinning the top layer of skin & actually the other day when I was washing my face I noticed the "pearl thingy" just washed right off (It still had been there forever though :( ) I'll call about the cortizone but at my first appt. she didn't mention that to me & I doubt she'll let me jump on the accutane wagon until I've given this other crap she's got me on a try :( You know what? It's really great to be able to talk to you guys about this stuff & get your feed back. Even though my face sucks for some reason this site has atleast made me feel like I wasn't alone & I'm learning a lot

*sorry if that last part was mooshie, I guess I had a moment there :shhh: )

P.S. I'm trying to figure out how to do a pic (which if I figure it out will only be of the zit, not my whole horrid face) but the only thing I have digital is my camcorder & the pics from it are all blurry & pretty much suck. I'll try tomorrow & see. So all my cystic buddies if you could put up a pic of yours so I can just see I'd appreciate it.

-Crisco

i DEFINITELY know what youre talking about...i get the same 'pearl' stuff and its basically the nastiest thing...if you dont get it all out it stays forever. heres what ive found out about acne like that...

cortisone shots from the doctor with cysts like that will only scar and possibly fill up again because the shot doesnt remove that ball of crap. also sometimes after a shot it just pops so it basically does the same thing but with more scarring i think than tweezers. i tried every otc and all the antibiotics and they didnt work...im now trying accutane and am very optimistic. month 2 halfway done and i know itll get better...the other day i had one like that and when it popped it had 2 of those balls...uggghhhhh but oh well its definitely clearing up now...

my point is if antibiotics dont work, dont bother with the shots in my opinion, just go on accutane it is meant for cystic acne like that...

P.S. I'm trying to figure out how to do a pic (which if I figure it out will only be of the zit, not my whole horrid face) but the only thing I have digital is my camcorder & the pics from it are all blurry & pretty much suck. I'll try tomorrow & see. So all my cystic buddies if you could put up a pic of yours so I can just see I'd appreciate it.

Same problem here. My digital camera is pretty decent, but it has no zoom whatsoever. It takes normal pictures fine, but for closeups, I might as well be taking a picture of the wall for as blurry as it is.

I was mainly trying to take a picture of it to show the new derm when I have my appointment in a couple days, in the hopes he'd prescribe Accutane. As luck would have it though, all of my cysts have cleared up again now that the derm appointment is scheduled. Hopefully this doctor will just take my word for it that I have these nasty things, and it's just pure luck that I happen to be clear of them when I go in.

Never had luck with the Retin-a myself, but I wasn't able to try it over the long term due to my skin being extremely sensitive to it. Tried it again recently, and by the 5th day my face felt like it was on fire and looked like I was a snake shedding its skin, even though I used even less than the derm recommended. Wasn't even able to sleep it was so painful, and it didn't go away until 4 days after I quit taking it. My face just goes from one extreme to the next - insanely oily to insanely dry.

I get the same thing!!! I didn't think anyone else knew what it was, but yeah.. every time I get a cyst (which is the only type of acne I get, pretty much)- it always has one of those things in it.. Mine are more like slivers, though..Like skinny and longer.. but then some of them are really ODD shaped. I know its sick to even look at it but it's really a weird phenomenon. LOL You're just kind of like, "What....the....hell is this?" at first. Now I'm used to them because I get them constantly.

Does Accutane help with this, though?? Turnergirl said it helped "a little", but that doesn't seem promising. I want to get rid of these things, its so frusterating because some of them get so huge.

Same problem here. My digital camera is pretty decent, but it has no zoom whatsoever. It takes normal pictures fine, but for closeups, I might as well be taking a picture of the wall for as blurry as it is.

I was mainly trying to take a picture of it to show the new derm when I have my appointment in a couple days, in the hopes he'd prescribe Accutane. As luck would have it though, all of my cysts have cleared up again now that the derm appointment is scheduled. Hopefully this doctor will just take my word for it that I have these nasty things, and it's just pure luck that I happen to be clear of them when I go in.

Never had luck with the Retin-a myself, but I wasn't able to try it over the long term due to my skin being extremely sensitive to it. Tried it again recently, and by the 5th day my face felt like it was on fire and looked like I was a snake shedding its skin, even though I used even less than the derm recommended. Wasn't even able to sleep it was so painful, and it didn't go away until 4 days after I quit taking it. My face just goes from one extreme to the next - insanely oily to insanely dry.

Yep! me too :( I called my derm because my face was killing me. It was so red & raw & even stuck to my pillow at night & trying to unstick a pillow from your face sucks let me tell ya. My skin is also bi-polar so oily one day you'd think I'd rubbed cooking grease on it (where I got my name "Crisco") then the next I'm doing the snake thing. My derm told me to do the retin-a "pea size" every other day or 3 times a week until I can tolerate it every night like she originally prescribed. I stoped for a few days because of the pillow incident (I had been applying too much) then my face returned to normal & I've been doing it every night again for about a week with no problems (this morning it is kinda crusty/peeling around my chin & one cheek but not bad). And isn't that the way it always happens with the Dr. Appts? I have the same thing, as soon as I make one what ever I was going for stops. Good luck with the accutane though. Have you read all the stuff about it? Does it scare you? I'd love to have clear skin but if all the side effects are true I think it's kinda scary.

Test,

I've had that happen too. The skin will look dried up & it leaves that same little red mark. But for me the little red mark will stay forever & if I look close or squeeze it (I know, gross & not the thing to do) there's still more of the little pearl deep down in there.

FrankieBGirl, I get the slivers too :( Have I mentioned I hate my skin???

-Crisco

Does Accutane help with this, though?? Turnergirl said it helped "a little", but that doesn't seem promising. I want to get rid of these things, its so frusterating because some of them get so huge.

The cysts are defined as being characteristic of the most severe form of Acne. That's usually what most derms prescribe the drug for. How well it helps depends on person though I guess. From the numbers i've seen, most people are cleared permanently after taking it one course, and all but a few are cleared after multiple courses.

I've spent around six months reading up on Accutane.. it was not an easy decision at all to commit to taking it. (Assuming the doctor actually prescribes it for me when I go in tomorrow that is)

From what i've read, the depression side effect which is most hyped about does not worry me much. There is enough evidence in the many many studies that have been done to conclude that, if Accutane does cause depression in people, it is in such a very small percentage that it is almost negligible, since they have still not been able to find an increase of it even in large case studies of 20,000+ people.

Actually, it's the other side effects that worry me. Accutane has its fair share of dangerous side effects, but as with any drug, they are extremely rare. Even the common oral antibiotics prescribed for acne cause rare but devastating side effects in some people. It's a risk no matter what drug you take these days I suppose.

Hey guys- Well, that sucks. Having the most severe form of cystic acne blows. I don't have it all over, I get them randomly...but then I will go through a period when I am somewhat clear (My skin is never CLEAR, but with makeup on, it looks good.) But just when I start to have a social life again, WAM! My face breaks out in usually around 6-8, then they heal and throughout the month I'll get a couple random ones. Sucks!!!

Its so weird, Ive had this spot on my chin forEVER now- its got the little pearl thing in it still, u cant SEE anything at all- but i can feel where the inflamed skin is, and i know if i could get that bastard out it would go away within an hour or whatever. It will not come out. It must like my pore...maybe my pores have really plush couches and big screen plasma tv's in them and thats why my sebum decides to create a little pearl and sticks around for as long as it can until I masterfully extract it. Those bastards must have a gym in there, too- cuz some of them put up a raging fight.

Or maybe Im not amusing and just dumb. LOL whatever the case- I hate those things.

I want to get on Accutane SO BAD, but yes- the side effects scare the shit out of me. Apparently, though- Side effects can happen anytime- like I take Singulair for allergies (I have puppies and Im allergic to dogs, so I have to take it everyday) And one of the side effects is seizures...there's a few other things that were totally scary.. but so far im alright...so Whatever.

Hey, I'd like to see it. Not cause I'm gross just to see if they're similar to mine. Mine usually starts as just a red sore bump & feels huge then over time it gets smaller & that's when I see the "pearl" but yea, that lasts forever & I get the scabby thing too. I think it's healing but never does. Now I'm to the point where I'm psycho with it & want it gone so that's when I turn to the tweezers (which by the way I promise not to do ever again) This retin-a I'm on seems to be thinning the top layer of skin & actually the other day when I was washing my face I noticed the "pearl thingy" just washed right off (It still had been there forever though :( ) I'll call about the cortizone but at my first appt. she didn't mention that to me & I doubt she'll let me jump on the accutane wagon until I've given this other crap she's got me on a try :( You know what? It's really great to be able to talk to you guys about this stuff & get your feed back. Even though my face sucks for some reason this site has atleast made me feel like I wasn't alone & I'm learning a lot

*sorry if that last part was mooshie, I guess I had a moment there :shhh: )

-Crisco

I used to get those types of cysts all the time. Those were the worst....I don't really get them anymore. The ones I do get are much smaller and closer to the surface (thanks to the Retin-A)....and I notice that sometimes the little "pearly" plug things just come out on their own when I wash my face....Just be careful with the self extraction....I find that I can break the skin just simply touching a pimple now because my epidermis had become so thin....it's much easier to break the skin and scab by playing with them....it's better to just let them come out on their own....which they will.....

Anything large painful and swollen that refuses to come to a head (and hangs around for more than about two weeks) should be seen by your derm...

Hey guys- Well, that sucks. Having the most severe form of cystic acne blows. I don't have it all over, I get them randomly...but then I will go through a period when I am somewhat clear (My skin is never CLEAR, but with makeup on, it looks good.) But just when I start to have a social life again, WAM! My face breaks out in usually around 6-8, then they heal and throughout the month I'll get a couple random ones. Sucks!!!

Its so weird, Ive had this spot on my chin forEVER now- its got the little pearl thing in it still, u cant SEE anything at all- but i can feel where the inflamed skin is, and i know if i could get that bastard out it would go away within an hour or whatever. It will not come out. It must like my pore...maybe my pores have really plush couches and big screen plasma tv's in them and thats why my sebum decides to create a little pearl and sticks around for as long as it can until I masterfully extract it. Those bastards must have a gym in there, too- cuz some of them put up a raging fight.

Or maybe Im not amusing and just dumb. LOL whatever the case- I hate those things.

I want to get on Accutane SO BAD, but yes- the side effects scare the shit out of me. Apparently, though- Side effects can happen anytime- like I take Singulair for allergies (I have puppies and Im allergic to dogs, so I have to take it everyday) And one of the side effects is seizures...there's a few other things that were totally scary.. but so far im alright...so Whatever.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: You're too funny, that made me laugh!

& thanks LabGirl, I've noticed more of mine just washing away now but I still have a few that to quote FrankieBGirl are "putting ua a raging fight". What is your profession? Obviously you work in a lab, just curious as to how you know so much. My cousin is a lab tech but she's no help, all she deals with is chemo.

-Crisco

& thanks LabGirl, I've noticed more of mine just washing away now but I still have a few that to quote FrankieBGirl are "putting ua a raging fight". What is your profession? Obviously you work in a lab, just curious as to how you know so much. My cousin is a lab tech but she's no help, all she deals with is chemo.

-Crisco

I've probably mentioned it before...I'm a cosmetic chemist (I make makeup for a living, but I used to work in skincare)...

I went to graduate school for an M.S. in Chemistry a few years ago, and I recently got another M.A. in Cosmetic Science....I took a few courses on dermatology and I always learn stuff in seminars...I also get a lot of scientific journals about cosmetics, skincare, and dermatology....plus having acne is a great motivator to learn about it.....